Buying a shitbox

Eastern yuropoor here (Romania), I want to buy a car, max budget is 1250 euros.
I want something fun to drive (handling, responsive), doesn't have to be fast. Probably the lighter, the better. Honestly, a Japanese coupe would be really cool, but anything else that fits the bill would work.
What models should I look out for? I know Miata is the generic answer in the US, but it would be impossible to get one at this price here.
I came across a Toyota Celica T18 1.6 (seems a bit heavy), is that any fun? Any similar cars?
Here's our Craigslist, if anyone wants to have a look (filtered for under 1250 euros, gas engine, manual, max 2L engine):
olx.ro/auto-masini-moto-ambarcatiuni/autoturisme/?search[filter_float_price:to]=1000&search[filter_enum_gearbox][0]=manual&search[filter_enum_petrol][0]=petrol&search[filter_float_enginesize:to]=2000&search[order]=filter_float_price:desc&view=list

Other urls found in this thread:

olx.ro/oferta/vand-sau-schimb-ID9HiXl.html#e7c239201b
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Any suggestions please?

some shit ass saabbs

Tot o T18 vreau si eu, frate.

Just get a Twingo like every other poorfag

Those are rare, I dunno if I can find a good one.
Ai si alte optiuni daca nu iei asta? Sa stiu ce sa mai caut.
Meme machine, I don't want one.

Just get Mk3 Golf gypsy boy.
>1k euro budget
>IM SO DIEHARD Veeky ForumsTIST
>YEAH BOIS JAY DEE EM
>handling
>responsivness
>muh 90s euphoria
>R A R E R E T R O C E L I C A
>a Japanese coupe would be really cool
Fucking dumbass, none of that matters on daily routine. Especially on your first car.
>gasoline engine
Youre TIGHT on budget. What the fuck are you talking about? Petrol engine? Get diesel like any other Eastern Yurop cuck. Any old Audi or VW with diesel in the only right answer. I have literally no idea why you'd want anything else really.

Golf IIIs rust like shit, diesel engines are gonna be taxed like hell here soon.

If I wanted a random shitbox I wouldn't have asked here. All I wanted to know was if there's anything that could be fun in that price range.

Do you mind 4 doors?
A Mazda 323 is a common "sporty" 4 door that you can find for cheap in Eastern Europe.

E36 318i frate aveti multe si sa gasesc pe nimic in stare buna

Eu am Celica GT din 90 dar cu 2.2
E buna dar consuma cam mult si multe piesa nu gasesti mai ales in RO

Parere mea sa gasesti ceva facut in Europa nu Japonez
Masini Japonez ruginesc cel mai repede

So are old japanese cars - they all rust and even more than VW. VW is also way more cheaper to maintain and fix than a Toyota.
>diesel engines taxed soon in Romania
Stop lying to yourself faggot. Unless you live in downtown, there will be literally no restrictions on diesel. Stop listening to shitty Western propaganda and brainwashing machine. Manufacturers STILL produce diesel engines, even at faster rates than before and are not planning to stop anytime soon.

>OP says VW rust like shit
>offers the rustiest rust of all mother rusts Mazda
Mazdas are the fastest rusting cars out there.

>"sporty" 4 door
>sporty
>4 door
Choose one. Also, theyre not fast, unless its a V6. Which is questionable on speed too, especially considering its age and a budget of 1k euros. Most popular engines are like 1.5l 65kw or some shit.

>VW is also way more cheaper to maintain and fix than a Toyota.
Say that again slowly

It is in Europe. Also old VW are way more reliable than new ones.

Most models here have weak engines, I don't think it's a good choice.
Ok, o sa evit masinile japoneze atunci. Probabil mi-a intrat in cap din strainatate cu JDM si chestii.
Am cam evitat BMW ca mi s-a parut ca o sa fie teapa si doar o rabla, chiar mai exista modele in stare buna?
Maybe you are right, I should probably stick to European cars. Maybe I can get an Audi A3 1.8T for this money. I'd rather not get diesel still.
He's right, at least here in Eastern Europe.

Did you micro Slavs get the short end of the Toyota stick or what?

estonia here with light great handling car.
MR2\s are cheap if not look into import.
Miatas are relativel cheap as well if not rare.
Look into opel omegas and ford sierras.
Join FB groups for cars and parts and japanese cars in your country, sometimes you find great shit like an startlet awd turbo for 1k.
keep eyes out and look around and look into import if its an option, fly to uk buy a car and drive back.

its europe and there are way more toyotas around than vw
and unlike vw toyotas never break.
Meme all you want german car reliability is dogshit compared to toyota.
They break and they break hard.
And all you get from vw is shitty FF garbage.
I\m in jap cars club and other than normal wear no car has broken down.
You see vagshit break down on regular basis even during meets. Even saw a muh meme reliability stock bimmer blow a radiator from doing one wheel burnout

I don't know about reliability, but I know Toyota parts are more rare/expensive than VAG parts.
I wanted an MR2 initially, but I couldn't find any so cheap. Plus emissions are pretty high, and I want to pass inspection... but if I could get a decent one I'd go for it.
I can import, but I'd rather not, because I'd end up spending even more money and time that way. Also UK is not an option because of the steering wheel on the wrong ride.
Again, don't know about reliability, just about prices/rarity.

>MR2
>MX5
>cheap

Ära valeta

I run with the group.
People buy sub 4k mr2's all the time. Many go around for 2k and they're all bomb proof.
A super super super clean NA car recently came into our group for 1500 and went out for 4k because the owner wanted midengine back
Know people and know where to look for good deals

it's not even a meme in europe (i live in tugaland)
they are commonplace and they are just seen as shitboxes, its just burgers on Veeky Forums that make a big deal of it

I don't know if it's the same in Romania, but 316/318 E36s are really cheap in Slovenia, I can find registered running examples for 500€

It is in Romania
E36 - great shitboxes, bit rusted , fun to throw around corners and can pull some driftz
Francezii fac masini mai usoare, doar ca ceva mai slabe calitativ. Un 206 rc e putin mai scump, dar are multa putere NA, e usor si are suspensie si manevrabilitate extraordinara. Putin moderna dar nimic robotizat ca pe "masinile" din 2017.
Ia VAG daca nu iti pasa decat de viteza in linie dreapta, vrei calitate ceva mai mare si stii ce sa faci in caz de understeer. (Vei avea parte de muuuult understeer)

VW cars in EU are equivalent of Toyota/Honda in US. Just because US got shitties petrol engines besides like 1.8T, doesnt mean whole VW lineup is shit. Petrol engines were never good on VAGs, thus why old VWs have pretty good diesel engines. You can fill it up with shittiest quality diesel and it will still run. Toyota and other japanese cars rust like crazy.

>Maybe I can get an Audi A3 1.8T for this money. I'd rather not get diesel still.
You cant. It will be shit.

Its not about reliability. Its about the simplicity of old VAGs that lets fill up tank with literally anything. Its the amount of spare parts available. Its the amount of knowledge how to work on cars in Europe. Its the amount of selection of VAGs compared to jap cars. Its the price of spare parts. Its the huge mod potentials, if you want to rice. Not to mention you can chiptune your diesel which will improve fuel efficiency and add power. Your VW will rattle less than Toyota or any other jap car.

>2k
>4k
user, OP wants a fucking first car in tight budget. What the fuck are you even talking about. Mazda will mostlikely NEED body work, fixing that rust. MX5 is fucking rice-taxed like crazy. MR2? Are you kidding me. He wants sporty car, something like 323F, which is sporty looking, compact, somewhat practical, not race track oriented MR2.

This. Europe's epitome of first fun car. You can't go wrong with E36. Lots of junkyards, quite cheap, tho fuelling will be a bit pricey. But here in my country theyre pretty rare now and finding one unbeaten is really difficult and price skyrockets.

>Golf IIIs rust like shit
never had rust problems in my golf
t. australian

also with the 2.0 116hp engine I abused the fuck out of it, had fun doing it, and it would literally never die.

one of the most indestructible and simple engines ever made

I won't find any cheap ones here, although I would have liked to get an MR2.
I don't mean they are bad, I just don't personally like them.
Looks like I may go for one of those.
206 rc pare mult mai fain, dar e si prea scump, asa ca o sa incep pe un E36 si dupa vad ce imi permit in cativa ani.
E36 it is then, maybe a Golf III if I change my mind. Fueling isn't too bad, I'll only be doing short city trips so even if it goes to 11-12l/100km, it won't be too bad. I just hope I can find a decent one.
Maybe it's a different climate, depends on the region.

Is there a big difference between the 316 and 318 or is it not noticeable?

You can try looking into Omegas or older Volvos if 4 door RWDs interest you. I dont think you can go any cheaper

do they have Fiat pandas in Romania?
i bought one for 800 euros

By Omega you mean Opel Omega? Those have engines over 2L, and I'm trying to avoid that for tax purposes.
Yeah, but I don't really like those.

omegas also came with a 2.0 engine

get this, looks absurd
olx.ro/oferta/vand-sau-schimb-ID9HiXl.html#e7c239201b

>Is there a big difference between the 316 and 318 or is it not noticeable?
Im not an expert, but Id go for 318, which has 1.8l engine. 1.6l is a bit weak in my opinion. Unless all you do is change parking spaces on parking lot, then yes, 1.6l is enough. But just for future-proofing Id buy 1.8l.

but its literally the most Euro shitbox car i can think of