My mother wants me to stay a pedestrian, should I listen to her ?

>be me
>be Frenchfag raised by single mother with no driving license and no car
>be 18
>Go to uni in town, so don't move, but get grant because brillant poorfag
>Mother buys me a bike to go to uni
>"Maybe I should get my driving license mum"
>"No it's too expensive"
>Saves money, buy my gaming PC after a long research (chooses parts online and build it myself) for 1000 € screen included thanks to sales
>She hates it
>Graduate
>Try to find a summer job
>Start late and fails, all jobs I could have still applied require a car
>Fails to graduate because depression
>Go on Veeky Forums for the first time
>Give up on finding a job last summer
>Decides to repeat my year
>Decides to think about future in a positive way
>I need my driving license and a car
>"No user, that's too expensive, finish your studies and find a job before"
>I can pass my driving license for about 1300 USD, and find a shitbox after. And I will need a car to find a real job in the future
>"Mandatory technical inspection and replacement parts will ruin you. Insurance is too expensive"
>I know young drivers are jewed, but I don't actually know how much I would pay. Would be glad to ask another shitbox driver, but none of my few friends own cars (bus passenger cliché is real in my city)

I know my mother is trying to keep the upper hand on me, but is she right though ? I was thinking of buying a Peugeot 205. Good shitbox choice ?

>inb4 OP is a faggot
>inb4 beta virgin
>inb4 cucked
>inb4 Yes. I'm asking Veeky Forums because I have no one else to ask.

There is a reason why your mom is poor lol. You need a car to make money. It's statistically proven that a car lands you a job quicker and lets to keep it for longer.

Also
>paying $1300 usd to get a license

Just post some french shitboxes here, people will help you choose which one to get. Most probably the 3k civic french equivalent.

>but is she right though ?
Fellow frogistani
She is right, it is pretty fucking expensive, especially as driving schools really tend to make you stay longer than you need.
For the code/theory exam, it's fine as you can now pass it as a free candidate for a very small fee, it's all centralized by La Poste and you can demand when and where to pass, it's no longer necessary to be presented by a school.
However most driving schools will offer packages with theory and practice at a lower price, some don't even offer special packages separating them (unless you come after losing your licence).
And then comes the real shady shit with expensive lessons and instructors keeping you longer than necessary because you need to be presented by a school as it's much harder to come in as an independent candidate.

also, OP is a cucked beta faggot

Maybe in fatburger land where it's logistically impossible to reach work without a car.

In that case, OP should finish his studies first, while his parents pay. OP is in a decent spot.

get a twingo, and get your fucking life together user. jesus christ

Also, another thing to keep in mind is that since your mom doesn't have a car, you won't be able to be a cheap-o, take less lessons and once you're approved of by your school, start accompanied/supervized driving to practice and improve yourself regularly instead of paying even more lessons...
Which sucks.
Because "quick licence" programs are usually schemes to give you a slightly less expensive package with "intensive" lessons so you can learn to drive in a couple monthes, but they are often meant to be followed by continued learning in accompanied driving OR buying more lessons that will be at full price this time (and still depend on when the schools considers you to be ready for the exam).

I'm not aware of supervised driving even existing in Europe, it's an overseas anglo concept to let your yokel family teach you to operate two ten death buckets instead of a qualified instructor.

your mom is trying to turn you into a soyboi so you can never leave her

If you're OP then
>conduite accompagnée
Extending your learning period after some initial classes and your instructor judging you to be safe enough as you are 16 to 19 until you are either old enough to get your B licence or have improved enough to pass it (after being assessed by your instructor once more). Also has a required amount of distance you need to drive until you can present yourself for assessment.
>conduite supervisée
Recent addition. Possible for people over 19, after they have been judged competent and safe enough by their instructor. Works about the same as conduite accompagnée, except you do not have to cover a certain distance, just to feel ready, present yourself for assessment by your instructor and if you have his approval, you may be presented at the exam (or get last lessons then be presented)

80% of driving is experience, knowing what your car can and can't do, and knowing what the drivers around you will do. Wheel time is far more important than knowing the book.

I don't know if it's your situation, but my mother (also single) was completely against cars, bikes, computers, mobile phones, and virtually any kind of technology. Essentialy a sad woman filled with pointless fears and prejudices that made her bitter and unable to function properly in society.

If that's the case, get away as soon as you can. Get a car, get a job, and live your life. Don't let these people that have surrendered to life drag you down with them.

If it isn't the case and your mother is a well adjusted woman, maybe she's right and you'll run out of cash fast. Maybe you should finish your studies and check out your employment options before tying yourself to the expenses of a car, especially if you have good public transport available.

Wheel time with an instructor who's certified not to teach you complete garbage. If your dad is a shit driver and teaches you, you will be a shit driver.

He was not OP. I am.

One of my friends in in "conduite supervisée". I'm perfectly aware of this.

That's also what I think. Literally started to feed me tofu 2 years ago btw. But the problem is, it's not because it serves her interests that she's wrong.

Hey OP your mom has the best interests our for you and that's why she is telling you not to buy a car and all of ect will be too expensive. I think the motorways are a lot more crowded than they are in the us but if youre not going to be stuck in traffic all day youll have a lot of fun.

What I want to say is, you're 18, you're a man. It's time that you start doing your own things and making your own decisions. If you mom tells you oh don't do this. Say "Mom I know where you are coming from and I value your advice. But I am growing up and it's time for me to start making my own decisions and put myself on a path to financial independence."

No Civics in France but the new ones. No lightweight cheap shitboxes by Honda.

>My mother wants me to stay a pedestrian, should I listen to her ?

Non... la voiture c'est la vie j'ai commencer a conduire en conduite accompagné à 16 ans, ce qui me permet de rouler en Porsche a 26 ans sans me faire casser le cul grace a mon bonus 50. commence le permis a 27 tu aura ton bonus 50 a la retraite...

Already did with my PC. She was against it, but understood my choice, as my brother and I were always argueing for the laptop. We needed two computers, I wanted a gaming PC. I paid it.

I'm 20 now btw

OP back. I picked the 205 because these shitboxes are everywhere and still running. I know Peugeot reliability has fallen a lot, but there are still a lot of them, while there are fewer and fewer old Twingos and Clios. Some people say 205s are beyond the "enough reliable shitbox" point nowadays too, what do you think ?
I'm not afraid to learn to work on my car (i actually would like to), but I'm poor. I also need good gas mileage.

>1300 burgers to get a driver's license
What the fug

Is your mom paying for education? If she is, you don't need a car. Just finish up school first. How many years left?

If you're in france, you can just use the train to your internships and jobs. France sucks, I prefer the US, dirt cheap to get a car.

i got an opel astra g with the 1.6 16v for 1000 bucks

worked fine for 20 000km now

insurance will rape you though
most likely to be around 1K the first year

>Already did with my PC. She was against it, but understood my choice,
Living at home for free and spending a lot of money on a toy is a lot different than something that will help land you a job :|

i don't know where you live but 205 are quite rare here
but saxo first gen twingo and 106 are everywhere and pretty much bullet proof and also pretty cheap to repair

No, I pay for education thanks to my grant ; she pays the rent, the bills, and most of the time, the food.

1100 € = 1303 $
How much did you pay ?

I would say that you need to get your license OP, being able to drive a car makes you way more flexible and is a big plus for the future. See it this way, the earlier you get a hold of it, the more experience you can build up before really needing it (daily commute, having a job which revolves around driving, going somewhere with family/friends) and having experience with how to actually drive alone.

Worked my arse off so I could afford my study and my driving lessons. Passed first time and I am driving on my own for three months now. Being able to drive a car alone made it possible to follow my study which is around 90 kilometers away from my home.

Pic is the car which I drive daily.

Btw peugeot 205 is a good car, my mom owns one since she bought it almost brand new. If you can cope with the average repairs and the normal fuel consumption it's a good car which will get you from A to B.

Holy shit! $1,300 for drivers education? I havent had a day of formal training and got my license on the first test

I did my Car license together with my motorcycle license and spent about 3300€

Back in the day, there were a lot of small train stations in many towns, and train was cheap.

Now it's another story. SNCF choose to favour regular travelers and employees' families over one-in-a-while travelers. I had to give up on visiting a friend 3 years ago because it was too expensive. Did it by car pool last year.

europoors are literally this cucked

I thought 40$ for my burger license was expensive kek

Don't know this brand. I think it's a D, but this is not the Daewoo logo.

That's not the price for the licence itself, rather an estimation for a full pack with lessons for the theory test and then driving lessons.
The exam itself is 40€ for the theory test, and free for the driving test.

Daihatsu.
Possibly the only japanese brand Veeky Forums doesn't give a shit about because it specializes in kei-cars and other compacts and doesn't du dorifuto machinus.

MURRICAN here
I did my behind the wheel for $150. dude picked me up right after high school and dropped me off at my house
I remember the paper for the dmv said I had taken 14 lessons iirc but that was after 4 days of probably around like half an hour each, my friend had same guy and was done in 3.

dmv fee was probably $50 or so covering yearly costs for a few years in advance

is France really that cucked?

also may I suggest getting a motorcycle and never getting it registered, paying only for bike + gas? put diplomatic plates on it and you shouldn't have to worry about cops

Apparently we're not even that bad. It's just that driving schools can be pretty damn scummy as they have you in their pockets since you need their approval to go to the exam in the first place.
In theory, you can get your licence for 50€ if you don't take a single lesson and present the exams as an independent candidate. That's pretty easy for the theory test but the driving test will be a lot more complicated. Expect loads of administrative loopholes to jump through while talking to clerks who don't have the slightest clue of how to manage anything that is out of the ordinary.
>blue bars : average price of classes for a full program
>green line : % of success
>in order : Norway, Netherlands, UK, France, Germany, Austria, Belgium

OP here. All the Opel owners I've known (only 2) were always complaining about their car and (trying to) fixing it. Seeing all these good condition cars for quite cheap makes me think they have known reliability issues. Am I wrong ?

Don't they have a little book of all of the rules that you're going to need to learn? If you study that well enough you should be able to just take the tests and save a bunch of money, no?

Yeah you can do it like that by studying the theory with 15€ worth of books but again, the problem will be that the standard package will include preparation for the theory and driving exams. Demanding the driving only (passing your licence after you lost it and had classes demanded by court excluded) is a good excuse for them to crank up the prices and make you pay more for the same amount of hours.
Paying for the theory exam really isn't the problem, it's the driving. And if you can pass the driving exam without having ever driven then more power to you, but the overwhelming majority of people will need practice and that's why schools can crank up their prices the way they do.

>Diplomatic plates

LOL sure, best way to get caught in the small city I live. Also French cops love seizing bikes. Easier to resell for their own profit.
I also don't know anything about bikes, and would appreciate a hard top above my head against rain and wind. And I won't even speak about cargo space.

Well I don't know about other states but here in Oregon the knowledge test is 5 burgs the learner's permit itself is 23.50 then the drive test is 9 and the full license is 60. There might be a few fees I'm forgetting but you can easily get a full license for around 100 USD.
I spent a bit more because i waited too long and had to renew my permit and the it took a few tries to pass the test.
So I spent prolly 150, a far cry from 1300

>drivers license
Just drive without one, i have for about a year its all good just dont get pulled over

>diplomatic plates on a bike
yeah, no
no
Best way to get stopped instantly unless you live in Paris. You're gonna get sized HARD and leave without your bike but with a good 750€ bill at the very least, and your licence revoked.
Also, bikes brideled in France. Yes, we are the only country in the fucking world to legally limit the power of new bikes. Because fuck you, fuck fun, fuck your bike, and fuck you some more.

Oops

>seizing
>You're gonna get sized HARD and leave without your bike

>pulling over
spotted the nobikes

No idea how it is in France but the in the US I see 1-2 people a week bagged for operating without a license.
That's just my town
Driving is the greatest freedom OP, yeah it costs alot but is very rewarding not only from a fun standpoint but like you've pointed out it widens your job prospects immensely

>thinking you can actually "win" a chase
spotted the LARPer

people run on bikes everyday. it's easy mode desu, whether dirt bike or sport bike

i got mine at 220 000 km so any problems may have been fixed by someone else because i didn't encounter any apart from AC not working

Either way definitely get your license ASAP

when you do eventually get a car your insurance premiums will be lower. Also you'll be open to more jobs. I didn't get my license until after I graduated and I regret it so much

Same in France.

god you're gay

no you shouldn't. fellow yuro, i waited with my driving license until i almost half-finished my college, worst decision ever. for some dumb reason i lived my entire life believing that whatever i do, i absolutely cannot afford a car
>finally got driving license and a car mid-college because i've been wasting over an hour per day waiting for buses with non-fitting timetables
>life quality incresased infinitely, i go where i want when i want, waking up an hour later because i can get to college in 15 min instead of taking one hour early bus
>parts for my shitbox are dirt cheap, besides it never breaks after i replaced enough broken things
>insurance is a pain, but it's doable if you try a bit harder
fuck user, you'll just adapt. given enough pressure, you'll start looking for right job and whatnot to keep your car running. cars are most basic "luxuries" man should get, suddenly you can get anywhere without feeling any pressure at all

205 is super cool, especially for you with your dirt cheap parts and popularity in france. now i'm thinking about 106 gti because i'm still relatively poor. just make sure to drive safe, those cars are deliberately killing its owner on crash

For years my dad would try and prevent me from getting a car or even a drivers license. He would always talk about how only idiots had cars and what not and how they were a money drain. Finally after working summer jobs for two years I had my license and first car at age 21

>steering wheel in correct place
>us plates
What the fuck kind of faggot dad did you have?
The kiind that wants his son to never get pussy or work? How the fuck did he live without a car?

An abusive rather, who doesn't want his son to be independent from him. Or an ultimate cuck.

>>I can pass my driving license for about 1300 USD
what the actual fuck.

An abusive father, who doesn't want his son to be independent from him. Or an ultimate cuck.

"Europe has an excellent public transportation system and you can go literally anywhere without a car!" is a dumb meme. Go anywhere outside major populated areas and you need a car to get around.

Go back to /int/, blind EUropean.

j´ai passé le permis pour moins de 900€, 1300€ c’est enorme

si t’es pas loin de la belgique tu peux toujours essayer de le passer en candidat libre là bas, puis échanger ton permis belge contre un permis français

You're old enough to do what you want. Get your damn license.

OP back.
Pas 1300 €, 1300 $. L'auto-école près de chez moi la moins chère propose la formule de base à 1089 €. J'habite en Normandie donc on oublie la Belgique.

I'm going to get my license. Post first cars ideas fellow europeans. I'm poor, so it needs to have good gas mileage and not being a moneypit. I've not afraid to learn to repair it myself tho. I'm young and live in a cool region of France, so air conditioning is not mandatory.

1300 burgers for a damn license??

Here in slavland it's 300$ max.

Based Poland, as always. How did you get a Dodge Charger ?

I hope you are not proud of having millions of people without a clue on your streets.

Just get one of these and call it a day

There are plenty of civics in france faggot i have a 97 civic 1.4is

Best bet is gonna be something simple and french and a bit older

Cherche un peut des renault clio 2
Des citroen saxo ou meme une twingo.

Une en bonne etat te coutera entre 1000 et 2000 euro

Jai une 306 break diesel que jai acheter 1000€ et qui a maintenan 400 mille km

That charger looks like it has Illinois plates...

Yes, but no. They don't have the same "everyone's shitbox" status as in the USA.

>more than 20 usd for a drivers llicense
What?
Fuck that shithole country

One of the many downsides of living in the EU.
A single driving lesson can cost up to 60 burgerbucks. And the actual driver's test costs ~100 dollars, excluding the cost for renting the car.

Shit's fucked, and the schools are fucking vultures.

While the price is steep its much better than just giving everyone a driving license without any training and lessons at all.

Even though it'll cost you a shitload, do it (assuming you actually have a budget).

Driving's therapeutic as fuck.

t. Somewhat burned out uni student

See

Or your boss expects you to be on call 7x24. They find out that you don't drive at the job interview and its, "Thank you for coming in. Next."

There are jobs where having reliable transportation is a condition of employment. But aside from that, if the boss can't drag your ass in whenever he wants, that's career limiting.

>burgers get license in pizza boxes
>and then majority of them believe that right of way on cross-section belongs to the guy who got there first
while 1000-2000 euro is clearly retarded price (i paid around 300 euro for my entire course + 30h of driving + everything else), i believe that setting up a little wall to filter literal retards is a great idea. i feel safer knowing that other cars on the street know basic rules of driving

Euros have laws that prevents employers from ravaging their employees like that. Unless it's in the contract, you're free to tell your boss 'tough luck, man'

You actually need a license for these in France too. But it's way easier and cheaper. However, .

it's hardly replacement for a car, but i'd say it's great introduction to wonders of mechanically assisted freedom of location. when you get 50cc bike and use it a bit, you suddenly realize how terrible your life was when you were still using public transport. there is no going back after that, you start your driving license like it's most obvious thing to do, then get your shitbox, then finally taste freedom

>i paid around 300 euro for my entire course + 30h of driving + everything else
What country because that cant work in france or germany etc because the driving instructor wont drive with you for 10€ per h. This even excludes the theoretical lessons. He also has to pay stuff like the car. He cant do that with 10€ per h. Wont work from a business point of view.

Jesus eurocucks. Get your shit together

“Theory test”
Point and laugh

Frenchfag here. I understand your situation.

>"Mandatory technical inspection and replacement parts will ruin you. Insurance is too expensive"
>I know young drivers are jewed, but I don't actually know how much I would pay.

So, first of all, if your mom never owned any car I believe that she doesn't know anything about them She has no real idea of how much it costs to own and maintain a car, and if you do well, it can be much cheaper than she actually believes. Just don't buy a 10-15 years old shitbox that is in good condition. A 2000-2500 EUR budget will allow you to buy something nice.

Now, it is indeed true that newly licensed drivers are jewed by insurance companies. I was paying 70 EUR per month for my first year of insurance just because I was charged with the "newbie" tax. It gets better after time, especially if you do not have any accident. I'm paying 38 EUR per month now for the same car.

Concerning gas expenses, I have a budget of 120 EUR per month as I'm doing 230kms per week and my gas mileage is quite good. It really depends on your commuting though. Now because my car is pretty cheap to run, very reliable and because I do almost everything myself, I spend very little money on maintenance. But here is a quick budget: yearly oil change 120 EUR (oil + oil filter), other replacement parts 200 EUR for 5 years (I changed my mirrors, spark plugs, air filter).

Other things to not forget: tires (changed them once in 5 years, still good for another 3 years), discs and pads for braking system 250 EUR every 5 years, braking system check-up and potential maintenance (200 EUR every 5 years), timing adjustement 120 EUR (chain-driven btw).

You'll probably a high initial investment at first, but if you manage to not be a retard, you'll making money out of your car. I don't know if mine is a good example since I never had any accident and that I'm only doing basic maintenance which can really lower the cost of ownership below what it is really like.

I live in Croatia.

I can mostly get by without a car and I really rarely drive, but I still wanted one for the personal freedom and ability to go places. I also like driving and cars in general, so I bought a miata. Everyone was persuading me how a 15 yo car will be a pain in the ass to maintain and to own. That is understandable, I had to change all brake discs and pads and some minor stuff too, but that was dirt cheap. The cost of yearly registration, inspection and insurance were more than twice what I've paid for that brake job!

I'd say get yourself a car that you can afford and enjoy, just don't buy a car you don't like. Life is too short and money can be used in better ways.

I got my license at 19, after i graduated highschool. That was fucking dumb, i should have got it in highschool.

OP go get your license.

Hnnnngh, a fun sunshine car on those near empty pay to drive motorways would be awesome.

>Norwegian convertible owner

OP back.

Merci.
Thanks. I will not be able to purchase any car I like at the moment (I like oldies : 2CV, 404, American muscle cars...). I will remember about test driving any car I'll buy though.

Now can someone explain me why 2nd gen Opel Astras in good condition are so cheap ? Is it just some weird market niche or do they have problems ?

just bumping so it doesn't die before Europe wakes up. I don't want to kill another thread by making another thread about Gen 2 Astras.

>2017
>thinking that employment laws actually matter to employers

The roads are crowded as fuck during the tourist season, especially the highways, but the miata excels on twisties and I drive it on a lot of fun back roads with almost no traffic. Really good stuff.

2nd gen Astras were produced for a long time, even after the 3rd gen came out, so the sheer amount of them probably drives the price down, but I wouldn't really bet on the reliability of Opel from that time onwards.
Sorry that I couldn't give you more info.

upload pics of your hot frenchie classmates brah

>tfw you paid around 1800 burgers for your drivers license

Salut OP.

Pour ce qui est du permis, essaye de le passer dans un bled reculé, moi je l'ai eu pour 780 euros tout compris.
Pour la bagnole, fouille le bon coin, y'a de bonnes affaires si tu te laisse le temps de trouver. Ma Corsa B m'a couté 600 euros avec CT. Un pote s'est pris un clio 1 pour 450 euros, avec CT.

Pour l'assurance, appelle en plein, et vois celui qui te propose le meilleur tarif, si ta mere a déjà une compagnie avec plusieurs contrats, essaye de jouer la dessus, en leur disant. Ils pourront surement t'arranger quelque chose de pas mal.

En tout pour tout, tu ne devrais pas larguer plus de 20-25 euros d'assurance par mois, et encore moins que ca si tu paye à l'année.

Ah, et fait pas la connerie de te prendre un diesel si tu roule pas beaucoup, et surtout si c'est un petit coupé à l'ancienne. C'est une connerie sans nom, l'entretien coute un bras et une jambe, et de toute facon le diesel va augmenter à mort les prochains mois.

Voila, enjoy.

french fag here

get your license.
Y'ou'll be able to pick a french shitbox for CHEAP.
As a new driver I recommend
-AX

those might be expensive as their insurance is CHEAP (keep in mind you'll be jewed by insurance)
Diesel AX is only 3l/100... find a correct one for 500€, learn to wrench on it (simple as fuck) and you'll be good to go

godpseed, frenchanon

or you can do otherwise :
bought in 2015 a litteral shitbox volvo 740
>100€
no interior, shot tires, leaks everywhere
fix it one thing at a time, 2 weeks of wrenching on the weekends it passes inspection

a headgasket, clutch, brakes..... and two years later I spent less than 1500 TOTAL including registration papers (which were more expensive than the car itself)

Oh and also I made it run on ethanol, which was cheap as fuck too

Felt good to be poor... I bought a 940 to compensate

I bought a 1.4l Clio 1 in 2014 for 1900€ back when petrol cars were devalued as fuck. Car had done 83000km and since then I drove 30000km.

All the maintenance done by myself and so far:

-timing belt/water pump scheduled change
-front brake pads and disk
-bad rear wheel bearings
-And the usual filters/oil/coolant changes

Total cost so far is somewhere around 350€.
Car is running flawlessly every day and when I hear that the average cost for car maintenance is 3000€ a year, I'm having the laugh of my life.

kek, nice one

how is the timing job on a fwd though ?
only did this on longitudinal engines with a ton of room...