KTM DUKE 390

Is this bike any fun? My first bike was a suzuki katana gsxf 600. I got rid of it and haven't rode a bike for the past 8 years. Will the Duke be any fun for me or will it be too slow?

Other urls found in this thread:

texasadventure.net/bikes-and-gear/drz400s-adventure/going-big/
revzilla.com/common-tread/2015-suzuki-dr-z400sm-review
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Way to slow, come on.

What do you reccomend that is light and looks cool?

Its looks like a fun light bike until you combust.

Are you specifically looking for something light, or more of a "beginner friendly" bike (non sportsbike)?

Wr250

Get the 690 instead.

KTM singles always punch above their weight. It probably runs like everyone else's 650. Unless you weigh over 200lbs, you will love it around town, but hate it on the highway.

Don’t get the duke man...that thing is just an overpriced toy. Get a 600. Gsxr, zx6r, r6, etc

I am well above 200lbs lol. 250 to be exact. Am I not gonna move on the KTM?

I know how to ride so I don't need something beginner friendly, I just wanted something light weight that I could fuck around on for city/local driving.

What about the cbr600rr?

Literally any 600 will do.

But I want something lightweight that I can throw around, easily lane-split, and not kill myself if I decide to go full throttle.

Not op, but I'm almost dead set on that as my first motorcycle. Any advice from anyone?

Which year? I have an 05.

It is the biggest pain in the ass to disassemble ever made. You need to move the coolant tank over to get the oil filter out of the headers and wrestle and stretch plastic body panels for both removal and installation while hoping you don't pop those rubber well nuts out.

After two years I'm selling it and getting a speed triple this summer.

Was thinking 2017. I was thinking about getting a DRZ400sm but someone on here said to get a Duke 390.

It's probably going to be even worse then. Gotta save weight with plastic fasteners, interlocking panels, and one-piece fairings that wrap around the bike. Also gotta love those plastic tank covers.

They're both fun bikes, but I'd go for the DRZ honestly. Its the same power with a little less weight and better aftermarket. Likely cheaper used too.

>600
>in the inner city

what's the point of a 110whp bike capable of hitting 120-140mph down the straight of a track if it wont go past 30-40mph most of the time

look for a supermoto or light naked like the duke 390/690. sv650 2nd gen is good too.

You want the duke 690 not the 390.
390 is a cheap shit bike made by poo in loos and it only exists to meet euro learner laws where they can't have more than 35kw.
690 is actually a quality german built performance bike.

This doesn't look as cool as the 390 but I will research it. Also not a fan of the 35 inch seat height as I am 5 10.

Kinda bummed out, I was really looking forward to the 390. Maybe I will just get an 08 CBR 600rr.

My dirt bikes seat height is 38.5 inches and im about the same height. you will be fine.

Any other bike reccomendations? I want something light and midrange powered.

If I can't find anything I will just go with a used CBR but in West Palm Beach traffic I know I'm going to fucking regret it...

fz07 would probably be right up your alley, lots of bottom end and mid range torque with a comfy upright riding position and they have the same firing order as a vtwin so they sound alright too, fairly light and nimble bikes.
lackluster suspension though but riding around the city that is a bonus i guess, you kinda want a bit more plush suspension to soak up the bumps.

also the fz07 is cheap that is always a big bonus, about 2k cheaper than a new duke 690.

I was looking into this bike a while ago thanks.
It's just too ugly lol.

Any other similarly performing bikes?

Honda cb650f, triumph street triple and the kawasaki z650 are all in the same class, id recommend seeing if you can get a test ride on them all and pick the one you like most to be honest.

It's a hard pick though they all have their ups and downs.

The triple looks nice. How is it compared to the fz07?

A 600 in the city is great because you can go fast everywhere and they have better breaks than the shit "starter bikes". Also not to sound crass, but why don't you grow a pair? Seriously I don't know hey people even consider anything under a 600. Get an sv650 or an fz6 if you can't do the sports bike power

Better in every way including comfort while riding, fz07 has a shit seat.

Hey does that mean on an 08 CBR 600 I will be able to stop better than an street tripple if I am going the same speed?

Convince me to go with a sport 600 user.

as a person who lives in the inner city i'd rather have a smaller lighter supermoto/naked. supersports belong on racetracks not being commuted to and from work.

>grow a pair

no i'm asking you what's the POINT of a bike that you won't leave 1st gear in just putting around town. if you can't do stoppies on a fuckin drz sumo of all bikes you need to get gud.

tell us about those "better brakes" when someone pulls out in front of you and "i had to drop her bro" after your dumbass locks up the front 6 piston brembos and lowslides it because you're using non-abs brakes meant to slow a bike down from 140mph over and over again to slow down from a 35mph panic stop

Yes.
the cbr600 has 4 piston brake calipers, the street triple has single pison calipers.

600 has enough braking power to just lock the front wheel and kill you if you grab the brakes too hard.

So should I get the Triumph Street Triple or what?

Yeah they are really nice bikes.
expensive though so better have a fat wallet.

>all the pics being posted by the op
This is a disguised /pol/ thread, shame

Look up published 60-0 distances

CBR600s are TRASH at braking.

get it if you like it just keep in mind its overkill vs a way cheaper but slower drz400sm/sv650. a street triple is still a naked so it doesn't have the fuckyou ergonomics of a supersport and has actual handlebars and not clipons

lmao

I was originally looking at a DRz400sm just for fun around my city.

Would the KTM Duke 390 be a better choice?

I seriously have no idea what to get.

husky 701 would be better.
Something tells me money is not really an issue, its the best dual sport for road use period.

Fine I guess we have different opinions. I live in a city and ride a 600. It's a lot of fun, and I've never felt it was "to big/heavy".

>DRZ vs Duke 390 (40hp/340lbs)
Get the DRZ without a question

>DRZ vs Duke 690 (74hp/330lbs)
Get the 690 if its not much more money

>2003+ SV650 (74hp/370lbs) vs DRZ (40hp/320lbs)
Do you want a reliable sportbike with a accessible powerband that handles very well (literally you could own this bike and once you get gud run down 600/1000s in the corners) once you tweak the suspension or a fun supermoto that's absolutely terrible on the highway but can't be beat in a inner city for agility and fun? Both will run you $3-4000 for a nice used example, the SVs cheaper than the DRZ.

Only other bike to consider:

>2008+ WR250X or WR250R with Supermoto Wheels (28hp/300lbs)
Newer design than DRZ (handles way better, feels much lighter and centered), fuel injected Yamaha so its extremely reliable, 6th gear with a very smooth engine so it's as highway capable. Peaky powerband that loves to rev like a sportbike.

I'm being dramatic but honestly, I love how my sumo is super agile, narrow, and soaks up bumps, curbs, and anything without skipping a beat. Plus its fun just running it through the gears without going holyfuckfast. A bike with bars vs clipons and a more up-right riding position is way better than a 600/1000 IMO, and he wouldn't need fairings if its mostly in the city.

You don't need fairing outside the city really either.
ive done 250km/h on a naked bike.
learn to hold on with your legs.

Dual sports are cool but I feel like I would look silly on one. I am honestly leaning back to the KTM Duke 390.

can't get a cb400sf over there can you?

What is your opinion on the street Triple r?

Also why is the DRZ better than the Duke 390?

Isn't the DRZ slow?

>Isn't the DRZ slow

Its 20lbs lighter than the Duke while making only 4hp less

Now keep in mind the DRZ has a whole long list of aftermarket mods you can do that can add 5-7hp (a lot when you're making 35hp to the wheels)

texasadventure.net/bikes-and-gear/drz400s-adventure/going-big/

Its Japanese so its more reliable, its much cheaper to buy used ($3-4000), and its more fun to ride.

revzilla.com/common-tread/2015-suzuki-dr-z400sm-review

>Street Triple R
Nice but a bit overkill. I mean its a $7-9,000 bike. If you can afford it and like it go for it. I personally wouldn't do it, bikes are meant to be cheap vehicles. A $7-9000 bike would mean full coverage and tears if you inevitably wreck/drop it.

Just get a 690 duke

Don't get a meme taxed DRZ SM

I weigh 250 lbs. Is it pointless to get the DRZsm? This is the bike I originally wanted to get for city driving and hooligan capability.

The Duke 690 is too ugly. Is the DRZ a meme moto?

Own a drz sm for a couple years now. It's still fun as shit. Ready to upgrade to a husky 610 or 630 this year.

They also need a top end rebuild every 100 hours