/sthg/ - Sonic the Hedgehog General

Welcome to the Sonic the Hedgehog General. Here we talk about all things Sonic! Share art and music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, and more.

/sthg/ #822 - Shadow edition.

>Link CompilationSonic News<
Sonic Mania vids:
6 Minutes of Gameplay: youtu.be/uB9RP2SV8HY
Green Hill Boss : youtu.be/X1GZbQgtGLY
Chemical Plant : youtu.be/4TX2I3iUORQ
youtube.com/watch?v=52UGIIIp9WE
Pre-order Trailer: youtu.be/wvD8NZN9Zsg

Sonic Forces vids:
Sonic Forces Main Theme Lyrics Rvealed - Fist Bump: youtu.be/XI97jY3FZ9Q
Sonic Forces E3 trailer: youtu.be/dprxYd_16Ck
7 minutes of Gameplay: youtu.be/fyTzm8WgtlE
Full level Gameplay: youtu.be/6g6_rRqjlCI
Avatar Gameplay: youtu.be/TJZfptketUc

>Drawfag/Writefag Idea WallsGeneral Interest Links

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/13425946
youtube.com/watch?v=xB6XKsE43KQ
drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw9wQojS0lxpXy1vZHpRcjJtekU/view?usp=sharing
tssznews.com/2017/07/11/tons-of-new-info-on-sonic-boom-rise-of-lyric-development-found/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>/sthg/ #822 - Shadow edition.
Lab Rat Edition

The level development kit still contains the old version, and there's a typo on "rvealed". Also, the old thread still hasn't hit the bump limit.

I just wanted to say this.

Sonic's Boyfriend Edition

Shadow is asexual and aromantic

Shadow is in a loving and passionate intimate relationship with swiss rolls!

It's about time we start tidying up the OP in general.

Who do you think wears the pants in the relationship?

Fine:
Shadow's Boyfriend Edition

>not posting the update

I thought you said aromatic.

Neither of them wear pants dumbass.

The obsession with front butt is making everyone look like they have droopy melty asses.

Like grass?

Women do have that but that artist isn't doing it well. In general the anatomy in that isn't stellar. Especially Elise.

drawfag lurker here thats been lurking for like a week

i have a question
is metal best boy?

Oh fuck yes, thank you friend!

He has an earthy, peaty aroma, with a hint of lilac.

No. He's a worthless consumer model.

Bo the Stinkhog

Metal Sonic is the best Sonic!

Reposting the updated Bingo card in case anyone missed it or wants to try it out.

Metal is overrated jobber trash. Mecha is best boy.

Yes.

eggman's greatest creation is omega desu

strawpoll.me/13425946

Alright /sthg/ help me with this strawpoll. I'd also like you to post the game you chose and your reason as to why. You don't need to give a paragraph for an answer. Something simple will do such as "Level X isn't fun to go through".

Can't hear you
Can't see you
Can't hear you
Can't see you

Affirmative

That's a good Metal Sonic, user.

youtube.com/watch?v=xB6XKsE43KQ

I can feel them...they're everywhere!

Elise a total hottie

nah... she looks like a badly disguised grey.

correct

wrong

in all seriousness though, you guys seem a lot better than a lot of generals ive lurked. plus sonic is held closer to me than anything else so im biased
im excited for metal sonic in sonic forces, though i know im probably going to be disappointed. lets just hope he isnt just killed off without second thought again

It's Metal Sonic's own fault that Sonic isn't dead

If Metal hadn't locked up Eggman, Eggman would have gotten a chance to activate Omega, and thus Omega wouldn't have rebelled against Eggman

Then Eggman would sic Omega on Sonic and Sonic would die

I have a bad feeling that Metal will be the first boss you defeat in Forces. Just like Generations.

Well you're a badly disguised gay!

Metal Sonic is Eggman's prized creation, his Metal Blue Blur to rule the nations.

Well welcome. If you've been browsing for the week and not repulsed, then I think you'll be fine here.

He'll probably be a pushover too.

You've yet to see the worst of things but it's not as bad as other places. Sometimes.

god i fucking hope not, sonic team dull him down so much just let him shine just a little for once fgs
from the little i've read of the archie comics i do like the way he's characterized, with slight hints of disobedience but core programmed to obey, it's pretty interesting

hey i used to browse /tf2g/ nothing is as circlejerky and repulsive as that, you guys actually talk abt shit and start intriguing conversations and its way more interesting

Here is the actual 3.0 link for anyone who needs it.

>I didn't actually paste it
drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw9wQojS0lxpXy1vZHpRcjJtekU/view?usp=sharing

Good job

I think Orbot and Cubot would have more character if they were robot humanoids than robotlets.

>the Special Stage Zone was a pocket dimension guarded by a giant panda man who made you run through mazes and shit to get chaos emeralds
that was one of the weirder concepts in this comic

Gotta find a way to entertain yourself.

tssznews.com/2017/07/11/tons-of-new-info-on-sonic-boom-rise-of-lyric-development-found/

It really sucks, because a Jak & Daxter styled Sonic could've been fucking amazing.

>Storyline wise, it revolved about Sonic origins: Sonic and a young Eggman were close friends, but during a time travel sequence Eggman messes with something at the past, breaking their friendship. Ancients were very important in this storyline, because they were related with Sonic’s origins. Eggman was once planned as a playable character but it was discarded. Tentative title for this was “Sonic Origins”
That would've been weird.

>TV show also helped destroy their original idea. A designer pitched Sega the idea of a Sonic Tv Show. It was unrelated to the game, but 8 months before the game launch SEGA gave total control to the show team to change the game, making big changes to the storyline and making Knuckles dumb. They also asked for a richer universe with lots of characters that were totally absent in the series, along with filler cutscenes and levels due to the storyline change. No info on the previous storyline was revealed, except that ancients had a huge importance there.
Damn, only 8 months before launch?

>Chao was initially included at the game, but later removed due to time and hardware constraints.
Chao fans never win.

>Gameplay wise, asides for asking for more speed and less exploration, they also eliminated water moves. Initially, Sonic and friends were able to swim, but due to Sonic Team exigencies they made them die on contact with water in the final game.
>Design wise, many changes were made on the characters to make them more similar to “legacy Sonic” look. Several NPC characters had to be radically changed due to them violating Sonic Team design guidelines. One of them was Cliff, originally an inventor. Only Tails and Eggman can be inventors.
>Chao was initially included at the game, but later removed due to time and hardware constraints.
>There was a piggy bank gimmick, were you banked your rings to later use to upgrade the characters and weapons. It was removed due to the change of game focus.
>Wii U build was planned to include several gamepad gimmicks such as moving platforms with the touch screen and controlling a golem robot, but was discarded due to tech issues and time constraints.
>There was a bi plane level that was removed due to being too boring. You controlled tails to chase Lyric into the final level.

SEGA. Stop.

Seriously. Stop ruining things.

Stop.

>>Wii U build was planned to include several gamepad gimmicks such as moving platforms with the touch screen and controlling a golem robot, but was discarded due to tech issues and time constraints.

To be fair that sounds awful and even without the technical problems removing it was the right choice.

>make a completely non-canon spin off with it's own lore and characters
>still have to make it similar to the main series
What was the fucking point then?

Nigga I would take 10,000 giant golem robot segments over another "pre-ordained mach speed running strip" nightmare.

Big red button got absolutely fucked by everyone.

i fucking knew it!
SoJ DID sabotage this game!

I can tell you exactly what happened here. They told BRB that it was a spinoff completely separate from the main series, but SEGA knew they wanted it to be a new direction for the series to replace the main series. So they dictate all these changes so it at least FEELS similar to the main series, and BRB doesn't understand why if it's a spinoff.

It's like if Taito was making Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, and SE kept dictating that it needed to have Chocobos and Moogles and turn-based combat and more story and less multiplayer.

And they had to take the responsibility. Moral of the story: don't try to help Sonic. Sega owns him, he's on the other side now, it's over. Soon you'll learn that Sega came down to the Mania dev studios and made sure the game would be a disaster to destroy even more baka gaijin devs

It's laughable how big a failure Boom ended up as a brand.

Right off the bat the game sucks and does badly, it's reputation likely caused the handheld sequel to sell badly as well. The comic gets canned quickly and a large chunk of the run is part of a shit crossover. The TV show is great, but CN fucks it over multiple times.

>It's laughable how big a failure Boom ended up as a brand.

If anything it's sad, it would've been nice to have seen a spinoff that took another angle on the series with western developers, it had potential but as always Sega likes to suffer from a sperg out halfway-through and ruin everything.

Sega and their awful deadlines are a big reason the Sonic franchise is so full of garbage.

It's funny. That's the exact reason I don't care for the reboot Sonic comics and prefered the old continuity warts and all.

I really don't understand what they were expecting, It's a bunch of ugly redesigns in an ugly world.

Well, they've seemingly have allowed extra time to both Forces and Mania, so they've given more leeway.

those guys know the drill and they are prepared for anything out side of sega just hoarding the game on launch not allowing it to sell.
(even then i am certain Headcannon would rather the game get open source then let sega let the game fail)

Boom was awful straight from the concept, both the product we got and the original version they pitch. I'd have rathered SEGA never have greenlit it.

>Traveler's Tales make Sonic games
>Sega's own incompetence forces them to give their Genesis game a rushed Saturn port, and means those games become the defacto headlining games for the Saturn, causing them to be judged more harshly than they otherwise would have been

>Bioware makes a Sonic game
>Sega fails to tell them which Sonic material they actually fucking own, resulting in most of the music having to get tossed and redone late in development, and causing Bioware's parent company to get sued

>Sumo makes some Sega games
>Sega cuts back on the funding so they need Danica freaking Patrick to fund it just to get the last one out the door

>Big Red Button makes a Sonic game
>Sega doesn't bother telling them what platform it's on until midway through development, rewrites all their character designs and concepts, and lets a bunch of comedy cartoon writers take control of it late in development

And this isn't even including how badly they dicked around Dimps, which I'm only not including because they're partially second-party. At this stage, why would any third-party developer work with Sega, other than to just launder the funding and release a cheap-ass piece of shovelware like Gearbox did to them?

I think the bigger problem is that they aren't willing to fucking commit to anything. Which is weird, because they commit to gameplay that's weird and experimental all the time. But story and art and even the platform is always fucking changing mid-way.

Sega is great with third parties.....not making sonic games.

They've made a point to say that they finally learned their lesson about that (Actually the head of SEGA changed to someone with half a brain if I remember correctly) and started to put having a complete game over having it out for christmas.

At least Traveler's Tales got a second chance and seemingly did decent with the LEGO Sonic thing.

Sega DID put Sonic in Lego Dimensions and it's already Better than any Sonic game in the last decade.

AND the better anniversary game.

By what? 20 extra minutes?

>Which is weird, because they commit to gameplay that's weird and experimental all the time.
Actually you're describing the same problem. Gameplay that's "weird and experimental" is a symptom that they're not willing to commit to the core gameplay and flesh it out, instead trying to disguise it with alternate gameplay styles and/or level-specific gimmicks.

When even Traveler's Tales fails, it means Sega is doing it on purpose. Their A Bug's Life license game was incredible.

The fact they didn't rush Forces out the door with the 25th anniversary was shocking.

Now if only they could get rid of Inzuka and his mario desires, seriously, the guy desperately wants to be with Nintendo to the point he's trying to turn Sonic into Mario never mind that Mario and Sonic are two completely different type of games. It'd be like giving Megaman to a guy who wanted to make Compile Heart games.

The main difference with Dimensions is that Traveler's Tales wasn't making a Sonic game, they were making a Lego game.

Hajime Satomi, the former head of Sega and founder of Sammy, who never even picked up a video game before he bought Sega, handed the reins of the company to his son, Haruki Satomi, in 2015, who grew up as a Sega fan and is rumored to be a big reason why his father bought the company, not wanting to see his favorite game company get picked apart in bankruptcy.

And it's better than Whatever Sega put in in the last 5 years.

You're probably right, but not committing can also just lead to weak core gameplay with no frills because all the frills were cut or scaled back (see Lost World).

Yeah, they do have a great track record overall.

Iizuka is in charge of Sonic Team and Yasuhara is doing bit work for a Nintendo division, when it should be the other way around.

the music for most of the game was almost spiritual, i still love the ant island music, clover forest, and the special stage music.
More miraculously this music was composed by the meme him self randy newman.

>Lego Dimensions is the only official 3D Sonic game to not have scripted loops

Traveller's Tale that is, I forgot to respond to

I fucking love that game.

WOAGH

They still fucked up Wrath of Cortex. They did get fucked on Twinsanity though.

Wrath of Cortex was fine.

As someone who marathoned all the major Crash games before the remaster came out, no it was NOT. Rife with technical issues, slowdowns and bad gameplay.

I had this one as well. Gameplay-wise, on respecting the story, even on every little gimmicky stuff, it was just fantastic, especially since TS2 was one of my favorite movies at the time.

How do they do it?

Minimum:
Processor: Pentium 4 1.6GHz
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: DirectX 9.0c compliant video card 32MB
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Storage: 400 MB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible

Recommended:
Processor: Core 2 Duo
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: DirectX 9.0c compliant video card