/stsg/ - Starsector General

Glass Cannon edition

>What?
Starsector is a 2D single-player open-world RPG space combat exploration economic game thing, basically Mount & Blade but in space.
Outdated but still relevant introduction video:
youtube.com/watch?v=UTCpVY80Bpc

>Where?
Official site:
fractalsoftworks.com
Official forums:
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php#1

>Current version
0.8.1aRC8

>List of popular mods
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=177.0

>/stsg/ modpack
mediafire.com/file/qz68gks6ebv4btf/Starsector General Mod Pack Version 3.7z

>The performance is really bad what do I do?
Other than allocating more memory for the game to use, there isn't much you can do.
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8726

>Stale Bread

Other urls found in this thread:

fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12738.0
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9583.0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>
lol

KSP general?

>Blast doors

Less than 2 hours before the tournament!

Vanilla OP

>glass cannon
>blast doors
are you of brain deficient, comrade?

And the tournament is now starting!

>twitch/youtube
>FallenShogun

>on a sunder
are you high?

lol
>never using the "always add thing to ships" setting

>about to overload? Damper field will save you
>Salamanders going for your engine? Flak wings got you
>Overloaded and harpoons are coming? Flak wings got you
>pesky fighters trying to flank? Flak wings got you

The Albatross is absolutely great.

AI is so retarded sometimes.

What mod are those heavy ion blasters from?

Sabots ruin every good fight
Ship Weapon Pack I believe

plasma flamers are gonna rape agian.

>SO Plasma Flamers

Pirates seem to be underpriced for what you get

>rangefinder
what mod adds that?

Plasma flamer is a really great weapon but you have to get pretty close in to actually get the use out of it.

The Silent Armada

No, the ships themselves are underpriced for what you get. Three eagles, a couple Falcons, a handful of Hammerheads, an Aurora, and a handful smaller ships. No other fleet has been able to match the size and weight class of ships in the pirate fleet. The real kicker is that these D ships aren't really that bad

yeah they are pretty good if they stick together the problem is they tend to lose more easily in a 1vs1

Of course, but good luck getting enough 1v1's to turn the battle

>Pick Diable, which is mostly about their wanzers
>Use almost nothing but Ravens
Raven's are good against ships, but they need cover to do their job

bump

a rump

-a-rum

Are Cerebus' useful?

No they just get them self killed hounds are infinitely better.

I watched these guys going at it for well over two weeks before finally getting bored and leaving. The Neutrino ship was at 0% CR the entire time too, but nobody was taking any damage.

lmao, also, whats up with your fleet? You into trading?

so did they make bad mod fleets or is vanilla imbalanced

Vanilla has some bad outliers, and a few of the modded fleets weren't that great (or suffered from earlier choice).

What's more important? Having more kinetic or HE damage?

This game will change totally with some rudimentary fleet AI, so fights don't turn into clusterfucks of ships going off by themselves or following ships they can't catch.

Kinetic > HE

both are important, but a ship with only kinetic damage will be more useful than a ship with only HE damage.

Yea this BRDY fleet looks pretty bad

That's my Pirate save. Started as Independent though so I could still access regular markets, and used Agents to get in good with the Pirates and Pathers.
I always prefer bounties and trading to get my shekels. Surveying is boring and I don't like having to spend points on skills that end up being useless later on.

ded fking thread

The Persean Sector will never die!

Does stability matter?

Stability controls prices: Higher stability = higher prices
Only after the defeat of the Dickerson's Infinite Son's

>1900 Armor
>practically 360 of guns
>the firepower of a Onslaught compressed into a Dominator chassis

I tried SO'ing this thing and holy shit it raises the question of is there such thing as too much IDEAL PEAK PERFORMANCE because this thing has 360 degrees of fire power.

>random officer just stops learning skills at 17

help

Did you Save Transfer? Something similar happened to me.

had that happen to me, and it just fixed itself, dnno how

Any idea what's coming in the next version?

I would guess outpost stuff, though I don't think anything is confirmed

Your guess is better than my dried up retarded brain. Thanks, user.

ded

Another ship from the same mod, 2/3 of an onslaught with with more OP and missiles.

>Modders in charge of balance

I'm gonna go with economy next. It's gonna be hard to do industry/outposts with what we have now

I think stability affects how much shit is available for sale in the black market.

Maybe, but I doubt Alex would implement such a complex economy that it requires an entire update dedicated to it. It would make sense if he packages them both in one.

I imagine we'll get some official 4x features at some point. honestly playing without nexerelin feels like I'm missing part of the game

This is a combat game
Any update he's working on will involve the combat

Each make of ship(like onslaught, dominator, wolf, medusa) should have tiers, higher tiers(aka facing tougher opponents) will have more OP, more flux, more speed, improved ship systems, etc

Ships should naturally group up into formations, know how to use others as cover, focus targets, and so on.
Organic avoid commands on ships larger than them should be implemented, so that frigates aren't approaching cruisers who will just kill them.
You often see ships back off when they aren't in danger and could kill the enemy, that should be changed

fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12738.0

Is this not compatible with Nexerelin yet?

>2 large ballistic

need a new faction called "the herd"
which are just large fleets of buffallos
who graze on gas giants

I thought Nexerelin only dealt with faction shit. Shouldn't Dynasector be the mod that needs compatibility?

No idea, just know it for some reason says it has incompatibilites, and yet I'm still seeing ships from it show up. So, I guess it works?

I'm the guy who updated this mod and I fully admit that it's not balanced. Not gonna pull a Cleve and give any deadline for a new release since I have a lot less free time these days. I will eventually remove a bunch of excess ships (they've already been removed from faction fleets and I don't miss most of them), resize a few (the Skylarks for sure, they should be much closer in size to a Wayfarer than a Buffalo) and then start to rebalance the ships that are left.

What mod even is that?

Tore Up Plenty.

A mod made in the far past, by an old school modder that made many mods but stopped working on all of them.

None of them were good, TUP included but the mod is maintained by someone else now. Who is more intelligent, and perceptive of flaws of the work than the original creator was.

I still do not think TUP is worth running, but the new author, if he sticks to his guns and assess and fixes the problems while also improving the sprites and overall polish... Will one day hopefully be a top quality mod, but it is not there yet. So I recommend waiting patiently in the meantime.

DONG UPDATE IS OUT

REPEAT, DONG UPDATE IS OUT

you're a dead man

Heh, wishful thinking Pilot.

But hey, I am working on it right now!

Any way for people to help with it?

That is an amazing offer, and something I would have to mull over.

The main issue I am facing, is how time consuming the sprite passes are proving combined with little free time as of late. If you really believe and are confident that you can match or least get close to vanilla sprites (what my current quality target is). I could find tasks to delegate to others to help things along!

So yes really, if you can then message me via PM on the forums, and from there can try to arrange some sort of agreement and a better method to communicate as well.

To be honest you will find most people don't care too much about the sprites being polished. Just look at flux-X (the infected ships) they are pretty poor quality and people still play that.

If I was you I would just release a comparability update for 0.8.1a since we are gonna be on it for a while. Then you can release the sprites later without feeling under pressure.

Either way good luck with the work.

guys come on

>MesotroniK
>"You can release something unpolished"
HAHAHAHAHA....

I personally have no skill with spriting unfortunately, but the sprites on the mod look pretty fucking great already. I asked the spriter I know if he'd be interested, and he is, but he's rather new with it and doesn't think he'd be able to do an adequate job with it, sadly.

Well people thought they were fine for all previous releases.

Nah, it's Meso. The guy takes a great amount of pride in his work. He'll go over sprites to find rogue pixels to fix in order to release the best mod possible.

I'm not saying he shouldn't do it. What I'm saying is if he just threw out a comparability update he wouldn't have to read "dong when?" and "whens this getting updated?" on here and the forums so he could then continue improving the sprites without the pressure.

The "problem" is a bit more obvious least to me.

Think of it this way, THI was always meant to be more greebly than vanilla ships, that is the stylistic choice and their visual signature. In the past, they *were* fine. But as time went on, vanilla sprites got smoothed over dramatically, and now THI no longer looks a bit more greebly. They look entirely out of place as they are far more noisy. So they do "need" a pass, to be smoothed some, to get back to the point where they are noisier than vanilla again, but not massively so.

And I have shown a few of the reworked sprites in here, and will more soon. I sure hope no one thinks that they are not a *massive* improvement over the current public mod versions.

Sorry it is taking so long, and sorry I have not done a simple compatibility update yet. It just is my way.

Agh, I should have refreshed before posting. So here is a double post.

I am insane, my inner voice compels me to do it this way. For if I don't, it will make it very hard for me to work on my other mod. And I am trying to escape this endless loop of iterative passes. Finally "getting it right" then not having to touch old stuff again is vastly preferable to me.

In the end, I mod for myself, others enjoy the things I make when I deem them done and ready and not a moment sooner.

>Sorry it is taking so long, and sorry I have not done a simple compatibility update yet. It just is my way.

You don't need to be sorry about anything man. Its not like we are paying for this or anything. Its your mod so you are gonna do it your way, thats why I said "if I was you". I'm pretty sure everyone would do it differently after all.

I can't wait to slap devastators on this baby. Its an enforcer that actually works rather that overloading after firing for 1 second.

It will be amazing with Devastators on it!

believe it or not I used to run
>Two aegis flak cannons
>1 flak cannon
>Shield bypass (no idea why I didn't use SO)
>Heavy armour

With this I would just fly it right up to things and pummel them at point blank range.

>dme wipes the floor with BRDY
BRDY is often considered "unbalanced", DME managed to be even more broken than that, to nobody surprise

BRDY is ungodly unbalanced in the hands of the player, while for AI it's less broken, near vanilla tier. In an AI tournament, it's pretty much a given it'll lose.

Anyone else think that the Shadowyards beam weapons are basically fucking worthless because of that stupid sweep effect?

Yup. Welcome to modders and their sense of "balance"

Like, it's an explosive only beam weapon, and it eats large/med mounts, which means you're largely unable to get the proper amount of overload to use them in the first place, and then it spreads the damage over a huge area while simultaneously making it a bitch and a fucking half to hit any frigates.

last page be gone.

Will 9.0 bring outposts ? Fuck up the Khopesh/Dagger spam ?

pity bump

Dong u-update soon?

literally read the thread.

NEVER EVER

Which is the best capital ship and why is it Victory?

Can someone fill me in on what DONG is? I haven't played SS since like 2014-2015 but Stellaris got me interested in playing an actual good space gaem again.

fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9583.0

oh shit haha I used to use that mod. I guess it's not updated to the current version?

>Which is the best capital ship and why is it Victory?
great built in HE guns lets you fit most other slots for kinetic and have a beast setup, also reasonably fast / maneuverable for its size
tiandong and his other mod exigency aren't updated for the current version, waiting on them both because theyre great

Read this and the replies:

I'm partial to PDE cheese myself. Load up a Desdinova with the small and medium PDE and a shitton of kinetics to crack the shields, and then just slag anything under cruisers in 1-3 volleys.

Thanks. Any advice for what faction to start as for my first game in years? I have most of the ones from the newest /stsg/ modpack as well as the NGO faction.