Here's why Tesla's Roadster and Semi truck will work

topgear.com/car-news/electric/heres-why-teslas-roadster-and-semi-truck-will-work
Just saw this article on the Top Gear website. They made some interesting points.

>"Most researchers who have studied the battery industry, including McKinsey, put battery cost at under $200 per kWh now. (That’s wholesale cost, not retail.) This figure is less than a quarter of what it was six years ago. Tesla is as good as anyone at driving down battery cost, so packs might cost Tesla just $100 per kWh by 2020. That puts a truck battery at $60,000/$100,000. It will make for an expensive truck, but not a cripplingly expensive one if the operating costs are low."

>"What will the Roadster weigh? Its quoted range is, neatly, double that of the long-range version of the Model 3. As I mentioned, the Model 3 long-range has 80kWh. The Roadster needs 200kWh as opposed to 2x160kWh...Most of all it will be heavier. I’m sure it will have a carbonfibre as opposed to aluminium body, but the battery will be heavier, and the motor and reduction gears and driveshafts and brakes and cooling.

The Model 3 is 1,730kg. These days 80kWh batteries weigh about 500kg. By the time of the Roadster’s launch I’d expect that to have fallen a fair bit. So let’s assume the new 200kWh battery will be under a tonne. It’s going to be tricky, but not impossible, to get the total Roadster mass under two tonnes. That means it won’t handle like a track-bred lightweight. To European performance-car people, track lapping is critical...with 4WD and electronic torque vectoring and a low C of G, the 4WD Roadster won’t be too shabby in the bends."

What do you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

thedrive.com/tech/16315/science-confirms-new-tesla-roadster-will-be-the-greatest-getaway-car-ever
greencarreports.com/news/1077660_toyota-charges-after-tesla-with-electric-sports-car-plans
quora.com/Is-there-enough-lithium-in-the-world-to-replace-all-petroleum-cars-with-battery-electric-vehicles
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Using Li-Ions is futile. Their energy density is just too pathetically low for EV's. EV's will be a mainstream thing but were at least 10 years away.

It won't go around the ring and won't sell to car people and eventually the enthusiasts opinion trickles down to normal fags.

The model S works because it's big and good for groceries. The Roadster can't do what sports cars can do or get groceries.

Elong completely fucked himself by investing so deeply in this technology. He should have let the established battery manufacturers eat the costs of maturing technology. The idiot bet everything on passenger ships at the dawn of the jet age.

honestly it's fine for most
im sure you drive 600 miles each way per day for your commute or something retarded, but you're not most

So when we develop batteries that are beyond lithium, will Veeky Forums ever recover?

I saw a calculation that if you ran the Roadster at 250 mph it'd last for around 25-30 minutes. Keep in mind if you ran a Chiron at top speed it'd run out of fuel in like 10 minutes. I'll see if I can find it.

Found it:
thedrive.com/tech/16315/science-confirms-new-tesla-roadster-will-be-the-greatest-getaway-car-ever
It's done under a silly context but the calculation seems solid.
>"The vehicle dynamics model Viswanathan and Sripad developed based on the battery capacity, the car’s weight, and its known performance data suggest that the Roadster is capable of maintaining 250 mph for between 25 and 30 minutes. A Bugatti Chiron, on the other hand, would run out of fuel in its 22-gallon tank at the same top speed in just 9 minutes."

Probably not.

Honestly as long as it's not some faggot like Elon developing the cars, we will probably be okay with it.

The problem a lot of Tesla fanboys have is they think the resistance to Tesla cars is due to enthusiasts being Luddites. I think this is pretty far from the truth. Most people that hate Apple computers don't do so because they hate computers, but because they hate the way Apple does computers.

Personally I want an electric car. I just don't want something that is nerdy and cool because people are a bunch of sheep. I want something Purposeful, graceful styling and is really good at what it does.

I think people are missing the point.

Like smart guns, people don’t want it not because it’s ‘impossible’ or ‘too expensive’, but rather because it would lead to a world where anyone who wants anything else is totally fucked.

I mean, come on.
They’re ALREADY starting up their little fucking legislation makers to try and get rid of ICEs and prevent grandfathering.

Fucking shit.

the problem is Tesla is american, everyone knows american cars can't turn

A small rwd EV with a manual transmission would make most Veeky Forumstists here happy.

And they also think an EV must be devoid of buttons and have tracking and self driving features out the ass because electricity = future. Even though the motor itself is older tech than anything under the hood of a truly modern car.

I'd like a perky little RWD EV with a decent range and acceptable price. I'm sure they'll come with time, but damn I want one now.

So like a rwd sporty crz

>the resistance to Tesla cars is due to enthusiasts being Luddites

Every time I see an article about new electric cars or Tesla its always the same comments
>Dumb cuz it has no soul
>worse for da enviermint den regular cars
>real men drive with gas!
>self driving cars are dangerious and cant be allowed to happen!

I personally like the Tesla cars. But like Elon, or not, he was the trend setter to push other companies to finally get off their asses and compete in the EV market. I respect Elon for that, I dont know much about him, nor do I really care. I was Tesla to succeed just because it shamed the others to embrace electric power.

I would like tesla cars if they had corolla interiors, miata weight figures, manual steering, and not one ounce of infotainment or botnet. but I won't get that because the people who can afford brand new cars use them as status symbols and luxury taxis.

So I just ride a sportbike instead. Hey, that's life. At least we can sleep soundly knowing that, like always, the US government won't go after bikes.

>rwd EV
Tesla are optional rwd or awd
Im pretty sure other electrics are too

>manual transmission
for one gear?

>tfw really want to make some kind of stick shift for an ev which doesn't actually change gears but toys with the voltage and amperage delivery to the motor
>tfw not sure where to begin

Interiors

I totally agree with that honestly

as much as I like Tesla's progress I dont care for the over reliance on the touchscreen. It would be nice to have some buttons and knobs for the basic stuff.

>But like Elon, or not, he was the trend setter to push other companies to finally get off their asses and compete in the EV market.
California did this in the 90s with the ZEV mandate. But sure, go fellate your god some more.
I think Tesla is going to end up being a failure and I think it's failure will be a great example case of how hopes and dreams do not trump the instability of emerging technology.

Instead of looking at the established companies and lazy and complacent maybe try looking at them as patient. I get it. You're probably around 20 and you grew up with the internet and smart phones and you want the future to be here. But usually the guy boasting the most isn't the guy you want making the change you seek. We'll get there. But its more important that it is done right, than it is done first. Musk isn't pioneer of the electric age, he is a con man.

Well as they stand now self driving cars can't handle themselves in snow or bad rain or if the lines on the road aren't clear, etc.

Tl;dr, no fun in the new ones and they make you get rid of the old ones.

>I want stupid toys in my car because I a big child
Thank god you aren't making cars.

Electric cars would benefit from transmissions. Just like it allows heavy cars and pigfat suv's/crossovers to get away with tiny engines. You could use a smaller motor and reduce it's load by using a transmission. It's just failed in the past because they use shitty transmissions with no torque dampener like most big trucks use.

>not putting an actual gearbox in

Electric motors actually do have powerbands, not infinite torque. Imagine how fucking fast you could go.

Toyota is working on it:
greencarreports.com/news/1077660_toyota-charges-after-tesla-with-electric-sports-car-plans
>"Toyota's Hiroyuki Ogawa told Autocar, Toyota has "...a desire to use a manual gearbox in our electric and hybrid sports cars". He describes the current CVT from Toyota's hybrids as "efficient but not fun", and suggests a manual transmission gives a better feel for the driver."
It might actually be in the recent Sport EV concept they just released.

>These days 80kWh batteries weigh about 500kg.
How the fuck are you expected to sustain an entire industry and it's future with these heavy expensive batteries that rely on extremely rare resources, and tons of it.

>90s with the ZEV mandate
Was Tesla and its first roadster not a result of that? But sure, go pretend giving any credit to Musk is always too much.

>try looking at them as patient
Cunts like GM have had opportunities many times over to release an electric vehicle into the market but abandoned it or didnt care enough to develop on their foundations. Fuck that patience bullshit. Tesla put out the Roadster, the Model S, then the X. All expensive luxury vehicles then said "The model 3 will be an affordable production EV" Then what a surprise, GM craps out the Bolt "look we beat you to the punch"

I have a hard time believing the Bolt was a timely coincidence and released just in time to beat the Model 3 to the market, they wanted to make it seem like they were on the level. So yeah, they got shamed into trying.

>We'll get there
Bud, we are already there. You talk down about the fanboys but your the opposite side of the same damn coin, a hater, who is just flustered about Musk gaining a little fame from making the news. So long as Musk keeps the EV progress train moving, whether from him or his competitors, he can be however he wants so long as he serves his purpose. Dont like him or his cars because he is a "con-man"? dont buy them. but his efforts opened the option to get an electric car from just about any other manufacturer.

Apparently we got a shit ton of lithium.
quora.com/Is-there-enough-lithium-in-the-world-to-replace-all-petroleum-cars-with-battery-electric-vehicles

I'd like the Tesla roadster if were a Hybrid set up with say a turbocharged Hayabusa engine aided by the Electric motors, I just need the sound of a gas engine

I understand the appeal of engine noise but if the car is quicker it's quicker noise or not.

yeah but that's a CVT where the shifter just pushes some buttons
although i guess they could go hyper realistic on the simulation and like, simulate coasting when you're in neutral or have the clutch disengaged, and simulate engine braking when you downshift.

>EV's will be a mainstream thing but were at least 10 years away.

EVs are already fairly mainstream, i'll see one or two every day on my commute, it's like people with windows phones (Or people with windows phones 1-2 years ago).

They don't need 30% market cap to be "Mainstream"

>They don't need 30% market cap to be "Mainstream"
they kind of do
when EVs are are common on the road as german cars overall, they'll be mainstream

ITT: Veeky Forums faggots who are, in all seriousness, giving tech advice to a selfmade business multi billionaire who has been tweaking NASA and ULA and GM noses for the past few years and landed a rocket booster on a tiny boat in the Atlantic.

hopefully Honda eventually pulls through with their EV roadster concept

IT'S SO CUTE

Looks a little to futuristic. It's fine to have some futuristic aspects but that thing looks like a toy. It's a concept after all, and concepts rarely resemble the finished car so I'm sure the actual car will look better yet I hope it stays cute.

That's not how it works. The batteries overheat before running out of juice.

here's why they won't.
they're teslas

>but that thing looks like a toy
because it is a toy.