THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS

just buy an older car, you doof

>spare parts will never dry up bro
>an older car will never fail!
>you won't pay out your ass for maintenance

spare parts will always dry up eventually but you can prolong the pain of a new car by 15+ years
hell, B-bodies are still showing up at my local junkyard on the regular
>an older car will never fail!
fix it
>you won't pay out your ass for maintenance
literally car dependent, like you won't pay out the ass for maintenance buying a brand new bimmer or mercedes or something anyway compared to a corolla

You simply can't keep buying 80's and 90's junkers for the rest of your life and I'm not sure if even 2010s cars will be still driveable with all the contemporary electronic shit in them that will be hard to get going in 30 years.

>You simply can't keep buying 80's and 90's junkers for the rest of your life
You don't know how long I'm going to live.

>You simply can't keep buying 80's and 90's junkers for the rest of your life and I'm not sure if even 2010s cars will be still driveable with all the contemporary electronic shit in them that will be hard to get going in 30 years.
Ez, get a Lada 2107.

After watching thousands of Russian car crash video I am entirely convinced that Ladas are made out of balsa wood and filled with helium. They roll over at the drop of a hat.

To be honest 99% of those gopniks are speeding as fuck. Also, alcoholics.
You see them do like 120 and more in villages all the fucking time.

fuck you telling me i cant do that

There's literally almost half a century worth of spare parts for my car. And it was so ridiculously common, that aftermarket parts will probably NEVER dry up until I'm long in the ground, and it's become such a weird cult classic car that there will probably always be a way to get parts.

Well, its the curse of Soviet production.
It might be shit, but its shit polished by billions of hours of manpower, slightly improving it.
And then it gets driven by some bydlo who fails to keep a low enough speed, so it rolls over.

So, how long until 3D printers are able to print replacement parts?

We need to start start a big repository of models for old car parts, up to the entire vehicle, it's literally the only way we will be able to keep these cars working in the following centuries.

>that aftermarket parts will probably NEVER dry up until I'm long in the ground, and it's become such a weird cult classic car that there will probably always be a way to get parts.
Except for 2003-2011 cup holders for cars without the center console.

>europoors make strict pedestrian safety regs
>peaceful muslim refugees rent trucks and run people over
>proving that these regulations do absolutely nothing

the absolute state of europoors

>The beltline has to be lifted to keep the car from looking bubbleheaded.
What was wrong with this? Even if you stretch the bottom part of it, you can keep the top part and it will look reasonably okay.

No idea. Why does the rest of the beltline have to follow the hood, anyway? Companies have been making designs with the bottom of the window dropping noticeably lower than the top of the hood for decades, has everyone become retarded all of a sudden and decided hey, our hood is now seven feet off the ground, we must have an unbroken line from the fenders to taillights at the same height and absolutely no glass is allowed beneath that line?

They do two mistakes. Wrong speed at certain times and they don't brake when the car in front is braking. If you know how to drive safely, then you will be fine.

>designers dictate what normies must love
>normies slurp it up
>???
>profit

Addidive manufacturing has a long way to go.

>How long before meme printers can just print my parts
How do you get the exact form and specifications of the part into a computer? Redrawing the parts isn't fun or easy, plus the original tolerances and absolute positions are absent.

>Redrawing the parts isn't fun or easy,
Some people find 3D modeling fun. The two years I took of Solidworks and Mastercam were pretty fun, at any rate.

There's also the fact that Russians seem to not have ABS or Traction Control, and seem to think mud is an acceptable material to pave roads with.

Drawing whatever you want can be fun. Trying to accurately reverse engineer a complex part is a lot less fun.

Did you take an inspection techniques/metrology class?

implying that a a low belt line is bad

Belt line?

Such a fucking shame that these cars fold like tincans and are deathtraps.
They look so sturdy.

Absolutely nothing. I think they just make the doors 4 feet tall with slit windows because people like feeling totally encased and think blind spots are futuristic features.

If you create larger blind spots it creates more opportunity to upsell electronic safety systems.

It's even more ridiculous if you see it compared to a M3

Holy shit, and that M3 doesn't look bad. I thought it was a safety requirement for side airbags for a long time, but seeing cars that still have decent windows and visibility shows that it's just a market trend.

Exactly. If I make it to 40 I did something terribly wrong or some supernatural force is keeping me alive.

>How do you get the exact form and specifications of the part into a computer?
You'd need to either laser scan it or model it from the part itself or technical drawings.

>plus the original tolerances and absolute positions are absent
If the part is simply a replacement part, then a person who has the vehicle will know where it goes, if the purpose is to rebuild some bigger part of the vehicle, then yes, you'd need more info on the larger part to be able to put it together.

General CAD/CAM. No drawing whatever you want, just taking sometimes-labelled blueprints or physical objects (requiring actual measuring and finding the correct points and angles and etc. discounting wear) and creating digital versions to be used for 3D printing or wood/steel milling.

Yes, modern car designers fuck everything up.

And then you upgrade to a "luxury" brand, and, surprise surprise, you have the same amount of window as you always did. Because only the rich are meant to have nice looking cars, so sayeth the rich.

Holy Beautiful

but if poorfags could buy cool cars how would anyone know you were rich?

the future is bland isn't it

we are doomed to be emasculated or delusional

that's where you're wrong kiddo i'll start fabricating and manufacturing my own custom parts if i have to

>You'd need to either laser scan it or model it from the part itself or technical drawings.
Duh
Problem with laser scanning is that you need to clean up the results. And good luck getting prints from Toyota or whatever.

>then a person who has the vehicle will know where it goes
I'm not talking about where on the vehicle it goes. I am talking about where the engineer said features need to go on the part, relative to what datum planes and to what tolerance. If you took a GD&T class you'd know how big of a deal this actually is.

You can't just discount wear and you can't just recreate a production part with out knowing exactly where stuff was supposed to be on it. What if the part you are reverse engineering was barely in tolerance? Then you add tolerance onto that and the part you are producing is way out of original specs. You are making this sound like you just wave your hands over a keyboard for 10 minutes and the job is done right.

Sure enough, getting the prints would obviously not be a standard case.

>I'm not talking about where on the vehicle it goes. I am talking about where the engineer said features need to go on the part, relative to what datum planes and to what tolerance. If you took a GD&T class you'd know how big of a deal this actually is.
No, I didn't, my background is in physics, not engineering.

You'd obviously need detailed measurements of the part to properly model it, and at some point it might require some compromise, and there's no way around that if there isn't enough data available.

>blaming hideous designs on safety regulations
No, car companies are just lazy, except a small few that are getting their act together and releasing products with passion and flair.

they need to stop hiring numales.

>high beltline
>shit visibility
>grille the width of a continent

It doesn't help at all, numale faggot

>No, I didn't, my background is in physics, not engineering.
Then I wont talk to you like you are an idiot.

The problem is with just getting detailed measurements is you have to assume intent. The engineer might have thought
>I want this, this and this feature relative to this feature and they all need to be concentric and perpendicular but depth can be +/- .01
>Or it could be the engineer wanted depth to be important but the machinist showed up to work drunk that day and half assed the setup and the part is out of spec but still manages to get the job done.

The problem is when reverse engineering a mass produced part you have layers and layers of uncertainty between you and the original engineer. It's like being an anthropologist trying to figure out how an ancient culture lived by looking at artifacts. At the end of the day, all you are going to have is an educated guess. But guessing at engineering considerations should throw up a big red flag as being a terrible idea. Sitting in a metal box going down the freeway at a low speed like 65mph is still a potentially fatal environment.

In a lot of cases of very limited production, it makes more sense to look at what the part is doing and design a part that does the same job from the ground up. But then of course the trade off is you lose the testing and validation of the original part.

I wish we were in star trek where we could just replicate whatever we want from an original and have it be molecularity identical, but that is so far off. Additive manufacturing and CAD are a lot like the self driving cars we have now. They make it look like the future is just around the corner, but really it is a long way off.

Watch me
There will ALWAYS be a beater on CL waiting for me

>There's also the fact that Russians seem to not have ABS or Traction Control
Of course not. It would make the any car more complex. Expensive shit to repair.
>and seem to think mud is an acceptable material to pave roads with.
Dude, Russia is the biggest country in the world. They have the GDP same as Italy. No way in hell do they have money to make and maintain tarmac roads. Have you ever heard of Lena highway? Now you understand why UAZ-452, UAZ-469, Lada Niva are still being produced in Russia. If you really want to travel across Russia, USE A TRAIN!

>Or it could be the engineer wanted depth to be important but the machinist showed up to work drunk that day and half assed the setup and the part is out of spec but still manages to get the job done.
Shouldn't it be possible to work out such kinks by measuring various parts to get a distribution of the values?
Though I do have to admit that would be highly impractical.

When it comes to long term preservation, any compromise that makes the part work should be enough, but, yes, maybe designing a similar part that does the same job might be the best solution, eventually the public models should get improved if necessary.

I'm not sure how NDA's work for engineers of car manufacturers, can they disclose anything from cars past a certain age that they worked on?

this

>tfw its cheaper to get aftermarket parts for my car than it is to just replace it with OEM parts still being made and sold

I rice my car because its cheaper, not because i want to look cool.

2003 civic

Nothing that I could say to this hasn't already been said.
Enjoy your (You).

>99% of reviews remark how good visibility is
>95% of reviews remark how attractive the exterior design is

But user on Veeky Forums knows better, as he posts a shitty photoshop for all to gawk at his impressive design prowess.

pedestrian killer here

low beltline is pure sex

This is why I will cling to my W202 until I die. Sure I'm gonna die in a crash but gods damn do I love that IMAX rear window. I SEE EVERYTHING.

>as he posts a shitty photoshop for all to gawk at his impressive design prowess.
Someone link this bozo the recent concepts seen at that show.
Auto design industry is almost confirmed to lurk Veeky Forums for ideas.

Not that user, but reviewers don't drive cars. They take them onto a track, driver it long enough to get some good shots, video, and audio commentary, say enough nice things about the car then get paid bucketfuls of cheese for it by the manufacturer.
Plus nobody wants to be one of the black sheep who reviews it negatively.
>muh 5% negative
Nobody in that outlier is a mainstream person of influence.

Personally, high beltlines and narrower rear pillars are awfuI.
I drive a 2014 Kia Rio these days, and looking in my rear view mirror i see nearly as much window as i do pillar.
You can hide cars behind them they are that big.
I am not one to rest my arm on the windowsill but drivers still do it and you see them with their shoulder to their ear deluded in thinking it is comfy, stylish, and less hazardois when it is none of these things.

I still don't get how a lower beltline results in more pedestrian fatalities. Can someone explain?

It is pretty well described in the OP.
The hood gets higher to have room between the hood and the hard engine block so when the faggot falls onto the hood the shit is soft and it's not actually the engine block that deforms the head.

Cars that have the engine in the back, are electric or are boxers (those are not as high and also go lower) COULD have a low snout but apart from super sports cars they still make the beltline high because they fear the ~bobblehead~ look when the windows are too big nowadays. Bunch of faggots.

It’s like the porsches are squinting harder with each generation

Yep
All technology is bland

>reviewers don't drive cars
>designers come to Veeky Forums for inspiration
You're reading the wrong publications then, and you're on crack. There are professional reviewers out there for those capable of a longer attention span than a squirrel. I.E. not the average Veeky Forums retard who thinks their shitty photoshop demonstrates anything of value.

And it's poorfag assholes like you buying Kia Rios that encourages automotive designers to keep producing shitty designs. Buy good-looking designs. Support good automotive engineering. Don't complain about shitty car design and then go out and buy Korean design-by-committee shit.

> Buy good-looking designs. Support good automotive engineering
But the country I bought my car from doesn't exist anymore...

With new cars like this I will gladly ride the bus after my 1996 and 2002 cars finally become untenable

br/o/s, why can't we go back to square body cars?

>Pic related

Can't we try updating this w/ modern safety standards?

Can the 3-box sedan exist under such standards???

who said I was going to buy a junker

>in the future you can 3d print your shitbox's parts

>imax rearwindow
underrated!
maximum kek

low beltlines are great, especially on convertibles
in my na miata it feels fucking amazing because half your torso is above the door.
but in the NC? I burrowed deep in the car and it feels like shit.

>under such standards
cars today barely exist under such standards.

We need some kind of massive auto deregulation, but ANY such thing would have to start with california, because they pretty much have the final say in car culture thanks to being the single largest car market in the union

Fuck off falcunt, I'm going to rip that gay fucking lightbar off your piece of shit VT

>Can the 3-box sedan exist under such standards???
Sure, if you don't mind it looking like this.

i love how much i can see with the top down on my NA

replying because everyone seems to reply to this

Apologize

holy fuck hahahaha that looks fuckin' ridiculous

I love the shop btw bud but god damn

no, you can go stuff your ass with them

I'm not sure how to interpret this.

Why does an entire manufacturing and design industry have to change to prevent the small percentage of pedestrian deaths? Isn't it easier to mandate frequent driver testing to ensure morons come to a complete stop at red lights and stop signs? How about education? As a kid and as an adult I looked both ways 3 times and knew as I cross a street or drive through an intersection to glance left and right at the incoming lane first then the opposite side. Why is the driver always at fault? If stupid people Jay walk it's a risk they are going to get hit. Just because the Asians hit and run all the time, forces me to buy and look at that gaudy CUV's on the road? Billions of dollars had been spent on implementing airbags, crumple zones etc, but now all that R&D work has been phased into pedestrian safety. Seems like a money scam.

like all of cuba still drives cars from like 1950s

awww somebutty mad?

The difference between driving in a modern car and my 94 civic is huge. I drive rental cars a lot for work and most of them have you sitting so high and upright that it's like driving my truck with a bench seat. You could stuff a dead baby under the seat. And the rear visibility is atrocious, makes driving in dense traffic a bit scary desu.

I don't see why not. My oldest car is a '56 and I fucking love driving that thing. I've already amassed a decent collection of parts for my EG civic, there's always at least a dozen in the junkyard so there's plenty of time to grab parts.

You know, this wouldn't be a problem of hoods didn't have to be fucking huge because of muh pedestrian safety.

You can have windows that follow the hood line and still have plenty of window.

Unfortunately yuropoors decided Blindspots don't exit, and so it's better to have small Windows. At least manufacturers were smarter and got blind spot monitoring in most shit. Now you just gotta put up with an annoying beep. All for pedestrians

Nope. Honda always has small pillars and shit even with airbags in them. Some OEMs just think it's a cool design choice. That, and it's cheaper to not have to engineer a thin and sturdy pillar and fit it with an airbag. Why not save some bucks and call it "modern design"

The funny part is that it's having no effect at all, and pedestrian injuries and deaths are on the rise.

cool car

thanks jimnos

you're welcome, buddy

dont rip the leds off ya cunt their a feature or ill cum fq ya bmw up ya bumbumpoo

pud me in da sgreengab :DDDDD

Get out of the fucking road numbnuts

desu this, if your in a crosswalk sure its the drivers fault but if your fucking bolting across the road why the fuck am I as the driver have to be at fault. Dont cross the road where you arent supposed to ffs

gr8 b8 m8

Well considering most plastics cannot take much stress and do not do well in heat, I would say it'd be kind of foolish to rely on 3D printing for your part needs.

3D printing metal is already a thing. It's just plastic 3D printing is what's affordable to average people right now. Give it a few years and metal printers will be more affordable.

THAT'S ENOUGH.
NOW YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR ALL THE (You)s

imagine making some of the best looking cars of all time and then making pic related fat piece of shit
at least lexus is trying, I unironically like the lc500's looks and it sounds amazing unlike all the turbo fart can spec machines out today

>safety regulations is the answer to everything
nope. Customers are to blame.

The problem is drivers fucking around on smartphones while pedestrians fuck around on smartphones and neither are paying fuckall attention to the world around them. It's kinda like how airbags and other safety shit did nothing to reduce the rate of crashes or injury because it made people feel like they could drive more aggressively.

now im thinking about importing 3 or 4 of these state side...

3d printing body panels when

>goodbye rust

what a glorious day that will be

they look like tincan deathtraps to me