Oil change pump?

Does anyone here use a pump to change their oil? Just stick it where the dip stick goes and pump out the oil that way? Supposedly it's better because you don't have to replace the drain plug

what the fuck is wrong with you gimmicky cunts. you're not a specialty mechanic shop, just get a fumoto valve if you're lazy.

I didn't say that I did this, but my neighbor does and I don't know if it's worth it.

You replace a gasket on most cars, not the whole plug

I do it old-fasioned. Everything gets out, new gasket on bolt, oil goes directly to waste oil container instead of into the suction tube and then the container

my mom has a diesel smart car that you have to use that pump on, i just got one similar to that for $50 off Amazon. seriously its a fucking nightmare, do not use one unless you have to

it does go into the dipstick tube but you have to pump it like 40 times every 2 minutes, the smart car takes like 2.5L of oil and removing the old oil takes a good hour. a normal car that takes 4.5L of oil i dont even want to imagine how long it would take

Okay, I won't waste my money then!

yeah just change it with the drain plug, you dont have to replace the gasket on drain plugs every time. eventually when the gasket wears you just get a slow drip of a leak or you can just replace it every 3-4 oil changes

theres something else out there that replaces you drain plug with a valve that drains the oil on the oil pan so you just turn the knob and it drains, i dont trust them myself but my girlfriends dad has one on his truck and hasnt had issues

you just have to replace the o'ring
and a box of 50 will probably cost less that the pump

I have never replaced the copper washer on any of my cars over the last 16 years.

I have never had oil drip from the sump plug after an oil change.

This.

Copper washers are a different thing than the cardboard or whatever material gasket you often see

If the copper is fucked you can just heat it up to the point its starting to glow red and then put it on again, and it should be fine

I've reused an aluminum washer several times now to change my oil and i've had absolutely no leaks whatsoever. Just turn it around every time

I use one of those. My filter is on top of the engine and I dont feel like crawling under my car just to pull a plug. Put the car on a slight forward slope and you can get almost all of the oil. Anons will get butt blasted by the idea, but people with boats that have large engines in the hull use pumps to get their oil out. Use it on my lawn mower as well. A lot of garages use them also. Never had an issue using mine.

>cardboard or whatever material gasket you often see

Never seen them.

My Mercedes had one, and my Hilux has one

Perfectly acceptable use of a fluid evac device...

Do you have an air compressor? I use that pump for all my cars, I just shove it down the dip stick tube and turn on the compressor and leave. Every 15 minutes I come back to check on it and maybe shove the tube down further. It can't get all the oil but it will get most of it which is enough.

I have that same device. I use it for transmissions. Still do oil the old fashioned way.

It's a mess saver for auto trans.
>pic related, it's me while draining ATF without an evacuator.

this

You need one to do the gearbox oil on my car so naturally i have never done the gearbox oil on my car.

>Supposedly it's better because you don't have to replace the drain plug

how lazy have we gotten? how did it get to this?

What car has a gasket on the drain plug? Never seen one

Even the ones that connect to an airline take about as long as it takes me to lift and drain the oil from as car on a hoist. At the same time all the dense, particulate matter that gets into your oil, is at the bottom of the oil pan and most is removed with the old oil through the drain plug. Also things I worry about, is that dipstick end need the oil pickup? Is all the crap getting sucked past it, or stuck to the metal screen. Are you able to check for leaks, torn CV boots, corroded brake lines, loose exhaust shields, etc.

Also they get dirty on the inside and out and look like crap but I'm autistic and think of this because 1 customer in a million thinks like this.

Almost all of them, they are sold at all parts stores.

Usually european cars. The oil filters I see a lot come with the extra washer you’re supposed to replace the old one with.

Pretty much every car comes with either a shitty paper gasket or a copper washer.
Chances are the cars you've used have lost theirs before your ownership.

It's just a seal using a material softer than the sump/bolt kinda like the crush washer on a spark plug.

mine has an aluminum crush washer. cost a lot (relatively) to replace but beats a leaky pan.

Even us specialty mechanics don't use that shit. It takes 5 seconds to remove the drain plug on most cars from a lift. And while it's draining I can do real car shit like put together build motors that are 2 months behind.

>replacing the drain plug because you changed the oil
Literally wut.

In the time it takes to roll a car up on some ramps or in the case of my most current vehicle, just roll my fat ass under it ezpz and will be draining oil within minutes. Everything will be back together and refilled with clean oil before those little pumps are done. I mean how do you even know if you're getting all the old crud that's at the bottom of the pan out.
>better because you don't have to replace the drain plug
No. Just no.

>You replace a gasket on most cars, not the whole plug
I've done oil changes on dozens of vehicles and not once did a washer or gasket ever have to be replaced.
>Ensure mating surfaces are clean and unmarred
>Put back on at the proper torque
No leaks.

Mine always come with a new gasket. The larger difference in temperatures a d road salt here makes the outer parts of the gasket easily fray/crack after a few years

Interesting. I'm up here in the salt belt in SW Ontario. I've never seen nor had to get new gaskets for the plug, never had any issues with leaks coming from the plug itself. The drain plug for my Jeep is all one piece with a thick built in washer that mates to the oil pan surface.

Yeah well crawling under your car to drain the oil is another option but it does not use the power of vacuum to have the liquid oil carry along whatever metal fragments, although that is the job of the filter anyway.

Are you suggesting that sucking the oilpan contents via a vacuum pump is going to suck out all the detritus that accumulates there, or at least more than would simply come out of the drain plug?

Do natural physics ever lie to you?

i use a sump pump and its brilliant.
no fucking about with the jack as the filter is top mounted. oil changes take about 10 minutes

>from a lift
you opinion is invalid

Huh, strange.. its super common here in Norway to replace the gaskets on the drain plug

I have had

Ford probe
Dodge ram
Suzuki Escudo
Nissan Sentra
Land Rover Discovery
Isuzu Pickup
Kia k2700
Nissan Frontier

Never had anything but a metal washer of some sort

Really?
I've seen rubber, nylon, copper, aluminium, normal gasket fibre, and rubbered steel

Have you ever removed your oil pan? I did recently and it's impossible for all the oil or debris to drain out completely due to the raised collar the drain bolt threads into so yeah, vacuuming it out might actually be helpful on some cars.

Or you could just keep your engine clean, I guess.