What went wrong with WV?

they used to make great engines 2 decades ago under both the VW and Audi badge and now they're worse than renault in engine quality and the laughing stock of the auto world among knowers, so what the fuck went wrong?

autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/62383/german-cars-among-worst-engine-failures

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GXCryn0rrjQ
youtube.com/watch?v=FkRmv0cFHVA
topgear.com/car-news/big-reads/honda-civic-type-r-vs-focus-rs-vs-golf-r-vs-leon-cupra
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

My question is do you think they're just incompetent or ignore quality control on purpose because euro idiots will buy their cars anyway?

whats this great engine you speak of? the 1.9 tdi? it was plagued with egr issues

I herd the 2.5 i5 block can actually handle a decent amount of boost

the 1.9 tdi existed pre 1997?

Yeah, the RS3 and TTRS use the exact same block as the Golf and people are getting upwards of 600hp out of those.

you're the guy hyping up their i5 in every thread? I like i5s too but I'm still gonna shit on them for their horrible 1.4/1.8/2.0 shit

What are the downsides to that particular engine, though?

No

pretty sure it did.

They're pretty thirsty and they're still FSI engines, so they suffer from all the same carbon buildup fun.

the number 1.9 wasn't even discovered until 2001

Even the ones in the MKV golf?? How do you mitigate/resolve the carbon buildup problem? Italian tuneup or memefoam?

The 2.0 8v 2E/ABA/ADY/AGG feeding pic related is absolutely indestructible and buy all means is a great little engine

Had one of these with that engine, was redlining half the time I drove it and it never had any problems

The good ol' Italian tuneup is actually pretty solid, yeah. Frequent oil changes help too, as does an oil catch can.

I wanna swap an amerifat v8 into one of these unassuming boxes

Someone bully me with facts about why I shouldn't want/buy a Golf R

It's not a mk3 and it's not an amerifat V8, but here's something silly just for you.

yeah but that you can already tell it's gonna be fast. need something more subtle. like that video of a 911 and a 350z racing then being easily passed by an old rusty looking mk2

it came out in 1995 apparently.

People love putting crazy engines into mk1s and mk2s, but tend to not bother with mk3s for some reason. Not entirely sure why.

other than the obvious haldex its great.

>master race

youtube.com/watch?v=GXCryn0rrjQ

this? its in france

dunno I've always dreamt of it but never tried a crazy project car
na I was thinking this youtube.com/watch?v=FkRmv0cFHVA

Why does Veeky Forums hate haldex so much again?

>tfw driving a diesel
it's not a vw but still
sweaty_man_with_rag.jpg

whoa...so this is the power...of FWD...

it cant be used for fun. it can only be used to pull you out of corners. totally impossible for it to actually steer with the throttle

It's FWD until it decides you really need those rear wheels to kick in, and especially older versions were always too late.
You're understeering towards a wall and the AWD system decides to send power to the rear, giving you an extra hit of speed for when you hit the wall, sort of thing.

>it cant be used for fun.
Does that mean "driving fast on twisties and the twogay" or "you can't drive it off-road"?

But does that also apply to the newer (post 2016) versions? Wiki isnt a great source but apparently you can press a button on the newer models of Golf R to engage the rear axle

its not THAT bad in the R mate. its a lot more subtle

it means you cant add more power in a turn and get the rear to come loose like you might in a focus RS

>get the rear to come loose
But what if I dont want to do that

Because the Civic type R exists

I was exaggerating obviously, and the newer systems have been refined a lot. The version used in the Audi S1 is reportedly really really good, programmed to mimic the behavior of Torsen-based AWD as closely as possible. Maybe someone will figure out a way to get that programming into the Golf's system as well.

id rather pay for an AWD car that pretends to be FWD than paying the same (if not more) for a FWD that pretends to be AWD

then why even awd? i honestly dont see the point if it cant be used to make the car more fun to drive.

but the type r is better

probably but its so ugly. maybe one day they will get cheap though

Because all that power on a FWD platform could mean torksteers

More affordable? Yes
Better? questionable

I don't get this meme, it looks great from the front and back isn't that bad

it looks obnoxious. unrefined. not pretty like say a 4c

Works for me :^)
I have a 10 year old 134k kms 9n3 1.6 Polo, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the car.

The 4C looks like an 8C that got abducted by ayylmaos.

>questionable

topgear.com/car-news/big-reads/honda-civic-type-r-vs-focus-rs-vs-golf-r-vs-leon-cupra

>I’d be amazed if someone considering the Golf R was also looking at the Type R. But I hope they are, because that Civic is something else.

and really they refused to put an auto in it because it'd fuck up the weight distribution. you know it;s a drivers car
not really. saw one IRL and the only thing out of the ordinary is the huge wing. why is Veeky Forums so obsessed with looks now anyway, back in 2010 people just wanted fun cars and this is a fun car

Well yes its a underpowered motor from the late 1970s-early 1980s sold until 2016

Its not that special when you consider its about as "indestructable" as any other Honda/Toyota 4 cylinder from that era.

Its a great car for the track but pretty boring to drive around town/on the street unless you're driving like a absolute animal.

On that note, its very comfortable and quiet (why its so boring, if you want something "exciting" to drive on the street get a WRX STi/Civic Type R, if you're a masochist Focus RS).

I think the CTR might be a better car if you can get over its wild looks. Its supposed to be very refined on the street and way more fun to drive.

He wanted a well built, good quality engine made by vw and I gave one to him

Yeah, gets clogged up if you drive like a pussy, just rev the shit out of it and its fine.

then it fails due to some other reason

they moved their production from Germany to Poland, Mexico, and Brazil.Then they tried to cultivate this premium image in the Western markets.