/emugen/ - Emulation General

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (Speccy screenshot), operating system, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

READ THE WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS LIKE:
>Where do I get games
OR
>Where do I get games
OR
>Where do I get games
OR
>Where do I get games
OR
>Where do I get games
OR
>What is the best emulator for...

Check out the wiki for the emulator you're using if you run into trouble, there may be a solution there too, often including recommendations for optimal game settings.

Remember to submit bug reports or shit won't get fixed.

Other urls found in this thread:

shikaver01.webcrow.jp/desmume_x432r/index.html
youtube.com/watch?v=CTi3AEJqNbU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

emulation is a meme

That's a disgusting filter right there I tell you what.

why the fuck can't I load any console systems in mame? I have software lists off and boot to cli on and use this:

retroarch -L /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libretro/mame_libretro.so "snes ~/roms/b2.zip"

but it just gives me a segfault.

[libretro INFO] Starting game from command line:snes ~/roms/b2.zip
ARGUV[0]=snes
[libretro INFO] Game name: snes, Game description: Super Nintendo Entertainment System / Super Famicom (NTSC)

"~/roms/b2.zip" approximately matches the following
supported software items (best match first):

Why is it looking for software items when I disabled soft lists??

>linux

I tried installing dlc for Persona 5 in RPCS3, but now when I try to boot it it just opens the game install folder. The dlc and game are the PSN versions and are from the same region. What do I do?

I'm going to emulate SMT Nocturne. I'm excited.

I'm surprised how well the RPCS3 runs Persona 5 on i7 etc. However the cutscenes are sometimes dropping frames and having audio issues which can be annoying. Has there been any unofficial fix for the issue? Someone was stopping specific threads in order to gain more fps but that's sketchy at best (altough CEMU had similar thing going on in previous versions with BOTW).

How's Nier?

Eagerly awaiting an update of hps2x64 the only non-meme ps2 emulator

Any news on that? Last update was 2017-02-24

I would ask the dev but he's a gangster so I'm scared

>How's Nier?
Broken in that particular build, massive overbloom everywhere, and still 18fps on a 4790k.

He don't answer to anyone, I don't know why

On the Wii, would I be better off using VBA GX or the Gambatte RA core for GB/GBC? I was under the impression that the latter is more accurate (on PC atleast) but is it able to run everything full speed on Wii?

Why is it so popular to shit all over zeromus and DeSmuME these days? zeromus did nothing wrong, and there's literally nothing wrong with using DeSmuME.

Just go ask on #retroarch on freenode

And if you figure it out, then report back; I tried messing with it a while ago and just gave up.

Should I get a 4790k or upgrade everything and get a 7700k? Does the 4790k still good for emulation?

>emulates the official pokemon machine
>doesn't give support to pokemon games

It has game specific hacks just to improve compatibility with pokemon. When is the last time you tried to play pokemon on it, 10 years ago?

I own a DS, no need to use crapware to play muh games

High level emulation was a mistake

The difference between them is minimal, 4790k is more than enough for emulation.

>finally got Persona 5 working
>now RPCS3 won't detect any of my controllers

So how about them emulators

4790k is literally one of the best CPUs you can possibly get for emulation, iirc 7700k was #1 and 4790k was like #3.

not him but similar question, id it work investing into the i9 series? I dont want to deal with amd bullshit

>should I invest in an i9 for emulation?
This is the most retarded post I've seen today, congratulations

>i9
They are HEDT processors, they have a little worse single core performance when compared to a regular i7, not worth it.

So I heard P5 is playable and I would want to at least test it, but where do I even get ROMs for PS3 games?

What's the 2nd?

I dont know anything about hardware especially in relation to emulation, networking is my thing

Alright, ill get the 7700k

Are Ryzen at least ok for emulation?

fuck you nintendo

seriously read the op

>Does the 4790k still good for emulation?
I think Haswells actually do a lot better than some of the newer CPUs in RPCS3 even though they should have lower IPC.

So I just downloaded retroarch for openSUSE today. I noticed that even the GUI drops frames sometimes. Think KDE is the culprit?

No, retroarch is just garbage

Probably the GPU driver

[citation needed]

What can be used instead of Mesa on Windows for software renderer?

> no DSi enhancements
> no DSi exclusive games
> held up local multiplayer while stealth sabotaging it
> then made up a Nintendo lawsuit about SERVERS for LOCAL DS-DS MULTIPLAYER to justify removing it
> Reaches out to StapleButter years later saying "hey it's your fault for abandoning it"
> held up online multiplayer, despite sabotage someone finishes it up anyways. LOLNOPE removed it is as well
> inaccurate mess by now, too late to "fork" it
> held up hi-res 3D for 2 years until no one used his version
> held up basic JIT recompiler for months until no one used his version, on top of the emulator slower than everything else

But yes sure, it's as simple as pokemon and drastic input delays and open source.

zeromus is a colossal jerk and one big reason why ds emulation is stuck a decade behind, to the point fucking no$gba innovates more.

If you want to stick with zeromusware and mow all lawns on earth to solve his emulator problems then godspeed and don't let door hits you on your way out.

Give it to me straight, /emugen/.

How well does BotW emulate right now? Is it stable or does it crash every 20 minutes? Are there any major audio/visual issues? Can it be played from start to finish without major problems?

>nall

How does the i7 3770k compare to the 4790k in emulation?

psndl

I want to play some mario party with my friends online we have enough for 4 people so we wont have bots in the game is net play good enough to let us play with little to no lagg?

>is net play good enough to let us play with little to no lagg?
If you all live close to each other, all have good internet, and all have good computers then yes. Also, dual core is glitchy for some games on netplay, others it works fine tho.

Why is Chrono Cross a pain in the ass on the mednafen core? I tested some games and as long as I don't raise the internal resolution everything runs great, but Chrono Cross keeps stuttering a lot

Before you ask, yes, I got a potato for a computer

>Persona 5 works and has a decent frame rate on my toaster
Bless the RPCS3 team

Alright emugen I give up
I for the life of me cannot figure out how to use cheats on ppsspp with retroarch. Can anyone help me? I've setup a cheat file just like retroarch's other cheat files and after enabling and applying nothing happens.

Anyone know how to fix Xenoblade stuttering? Specs related.

How come RPCS3 isn't detecting my ds4? Do I have to set something up first?

>put off switching to vulkan renderer because porting my border shaders to .slangp sounds hard
>look at .slangp format
>literally the same shit

Golly gee.

Buy Nvidia, also what CPU is that? The G4560?
Buy another 8GB ram stick so you can get dual channel, it will improve CPU performance 64bit vs 128 bit.

>Buy Nvidia
top kek

back to /r/amd bud.

>buy nvidia
fuck you asshole
name me a better card than the rx 480 from nvidia at a similar price point and i'll see if it's not too late to trade in
also yeah it's the g4560, was a budget build or i would have gotten an i5

anyway i tried ishiiruka with shader preloading and it seems to be a bit better, but still occasional stutters

>wants to emulate shit
>buys fucking amd

literally every thread there is some idiot that comes whining about his amd gpu being shit at emulation even though we always recommend to buy nvidia for emulation purposes.

>Implying Nintendo would unironically help Sony in any way
Kys, thank you very much.

>I won't tell you my CPU though so good luck trying to guess how it'll run on my machine
Leave.

Naturally weaker because be it small or big, every line of CPU that Intel launched is better than the previous one. Use Youtube and compare their performance, I'm sure plenty of people have them and made lots of videos running emulators on them.

I just got a 1600. Wii at 4k full speed no slowdowns. Ratchet and Clank at 4k with occasional slowdowns, that happen at any resolution and happen on my laptop.

Their single core performance is almost as good as Intel's, and they have more cores.

>anyway i tried ishiiruka with shader preloading and it seems to be a bit better, but still occasional stutters
Dolphin just sucks. Even a gtx1080 still has stuttering issues.

>we always recommend to buy nvidia for emulation purposes.
Idk why you guys love OpenGL so much. It's a garbage API...

is this why opengl is alwas the best backend in any emulator that has multiple backends?
I
HAD
NO
FUCKING
IDEA

You should update the wiki.

>is this why opengl is alwas the best backend in any emulator that has multiple backends?
Was abut to try and prove you wrong but honestly I can't think of a single emulator that has both OGL and DX where DX is actually better.

desmume is running slow as fuck, im trying to play runefactory 2. no speccy screenshot because im on my phone but im running
windows 10 enterprise
kaby lake [email protected]
16Gig ram
intelHD graphics 630/nvidia gtx 1060

im pretty sure my machine should be able to run it without slowdown but i dont know.

you need to post your desmune settings

my bad, i just downloaded 0.9.11, havent changed any of the settings from default yet. what settings do you need?

>honestly I can't think of a single emulator that has both OGL and DX where DX is actually better.
Dolphin and probably PCSX2.
Tried OoT's wad some months ago and I was getting 50FPS on the titlescreen with DX9 and DX11, but 40FPS with OGL.

>havent changed any of the settings from default yet
There's your problem.
Config > Emulation Settings > Enable Dynamic Recompiler.

Download the Nightly builds.
also make sure your iGPU is not being used nsated of the 1060, you should just disable it in the bios settings to prevent shit like this happening.
You can also use this build, it runs rune factory games perfectly and it has a setting to hcnage the screen size to somethig like 25:100 so you can move the screen with the map which is barely used
shikaver01.webcrow.jp/desmume_x432r/index.html

N64 Zelda games run at 20FPS.

thanks man, its much better now. do the other settings make much of a difference or should i leave them alone if it works?
i have the 1060 set as my default for all programs but desmume wasnt using it till i did what the other guy said. thanks though

DX in PCSX2 lacks tons of shit which is why it's faster, most of the time you don't wanna bother with DX though
Dolphin though yeah, especially with Ishiiruka having async shader compilation only for DX iirc Vulkan will eventually beat both though..

So..? Dolphin's FPS Counter was marking 50 and 40 on OoT wad's titlescreen.

ok i sort of lied. the game itself runs a lot smoother but whenever the characters speak its really rough. the music and effects sound fine though.

>DX in PCSX2 lacks tons of shit which is why it's faster
It really must depend on the game then. Granted, I didn't played a lot of games on PCSX2 in my older computer and it was a lot of time ago too.

The point still stands though, in a way, the DirectX Renderer is better than the OpenGL Renderer and as long as the game where you use it looks mostly the same as it did on PS2 if not better, I assure you that everyone except accuracy autists will use it.

>So..?

hah

>do the other settings make much of a difference or should i leave them alone if it works?
I actually never got to know that. There's some things like Options > 3D Settings > Renderer or Options > Config > Display Method that may matter, I don't know to what extent though
It'd be nice if someone could come and explain what kind of effect those options have.

I'm not saying that that's fine, if you're thinking so.
It's just not relevant at all to what I said.
With that being said, for the original OoT there aren't better options unless the GC Collection runs it at stable 30. Does it?

Yeah I'm getting half decent framerates on my R5 1600, just need to upgrade from my GT 630 and hopefully it'll be smooth sailing.

ALL N64 Zelda games are locked to 20FPS for NTSC and 17 for PAL.

>So..? Dolphin's FPS Counter was marking 50 and 40 on OoT wad's titlescreen.
I thought it was pretty obvious by now that an emulator's "60 FPS" equals "100% Speed" and not "Internal Framerate".

>an emulator FPS Counter's "60 FPS" equals "100% Speed"
Fixed that for me.

well open gl3.2 seems ro run faster than softrasterizer on my machine, the music sounds smoother also.
i didnt notice a difference between directdraw HW and SW openGL made everything heavily pixelated and slow down, filter made things blurry and vsync didnt have a real change. i just ran around the farm and picked up some stuff so its not the best tests. i wish i knew how to get fps and shit to display, then i would have some actual data to work with.

>i wish i knew how to get fps and shit to display, then i would have some actual data to work with.
View > HUD > Display FPS.
View > HUD > HUD Editing Mode to move it wherever you want.

well i feel silly. il throw it on and play around for a bit with each setting. still if someone can offer a better explanation than my half assed research id appreciate it

Curious, I just tried the latest nightly (2017/07/08) to see if it performed better on my potato than 0.9.11 and it doesn't show nothing but a black screen on Pokémon SoulSilver unless you use SoftRasterizer as the renderer.

only been monitoring for about 15 minutes but i got some numbers.
renderer didnt actually change the fps but music sounds better in openGL.
direct draw HW and SW give me 45-53 fps so a little short of 60, filter doesnt change it, vsync dropped down to 40ish. OpenGL on the otherhand dropped me down to around ~25-30 and again looked more pixelated, with vsync it was anywhere from 15-22.
im still not sure of the difference but i think its obvious OpenGL requires stronger hardware to run compared to direct draw. filter smoothed out some outlines and ive gotten used to it, vsync had no noticsble effect on my machine.
i set frame skip to 1 with directdraw HS and filter, im getting a consistent 60 now and dont really notice the frame skip.
im sorry for the poor review but im not really sure what im doing. if you have any questions or suggestions id love to hear them. all this was done using version 0.9.11 with rune factory 2. my specs are

>tfw 4790k at 4.7GHz and 980 Ti
>Persona 5 runs at about 15-20 fps average

Is this normal?

>i7 4790k at 4.7GHz, 15-20 fps average. Is this normal?
youtube.com/watch?v=CTi3AEJqNbU

Why exactly do people say that HLE is a bad thing?
Is it just from a preservational PoV, because the inner workings aren't really known/emulated? Or is HLE itself just a shit concept, if so how?
And I mean, HLE as a concept not how several devs have implemented it in their emulators.

>Why exactly do people say that HLE is a bad thing?
HLE is a bad thing for some specific systems (Saturn, N64, PS2) because doing it right takes absurd amounts of time and skill and nobody with that much skills has that much time to waste on something like that.

Already saw that. I was hoping that people being able to beat the game meant that it ran smoothly. 15 fps is unplayable for me, but thanks anyway.

HLE isn't an absurd concept provided that can be done.
Many features exclusive to console can't be done with PC APIs or require relative new hardware to be achievable with out getting a huge performance hit.
Do you want an accurate HLE PS2 emulator? Well, just to do transparency and frame blending similar to what the PS2 could do you need a Nvidia GPU released in 2014(Maxwell) or newer.

hello staplebutter, still salty? You should move on with your life, like zeromus did with useless jerks like you.

>I'm not gonna refuse any of your points because I can't, but I'll insult because why not
Not him, but leave.