So I was visiting family for thanksgiving and someone scratched and chipped the rear bumper of my '14 BMW 2 series...

So I was visiting family for thanksgiving and someone scratched and chipped the rear bumper of my '14 BMW 2 series. Pictures linked. Never dealt with this before and need advice. I appreciate it. imgur.com/a/vDf6a

Other urls found in this thread:

automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-paint/bmw/2014/2[dash]series/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i don't have an answer but how do you like the 2 series?
a while ago i wanted a 135i but got a 9th gen civic si instead. the 2 series looks like it would be similar to the 1 series

Learn to cope with it.

It's just plastic.

Open your own thread you disabled fuck, we're talking about MY car here.

Touch up paint.

I personally love it. I like how small and nimble it feels on open roads and how comfortable it can feel during city driving. I was looking at this and a Focust ST and am happy I went with this. Interior feels nice and spacious too. I'm single so it fits my needs perfectly.
lmao get out of here fag buy your own bmw

oh boo hoo, somebody scratched paint of your ever so "valuable" depreciating car
I feel so bad for you

Some of the scratches will buff out and they won't catch your eye so easily, but that gouge will need to be filled and painted to get it to disappear completely - some touch-up paint in there will stop it from annoying you so much in the short term but if the paint is a metallic (looks like it is in some of the photos) it's hard to match it properly even with the right paint code, since metallic paints rely on the suspended particles being lined up which is hard to do with a little brush.

any brand I should look at? Do I need to polish or do something to the chip beforehand?

automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-paint/bmw/2014/2[dash]series/

bought it certified used a few months ago for 25k, msrp was 45k, try again.
So is this not something I can do on my own, at least not completely?

surely if only bought it a few months ago, the stealership would've offered a paint warranty

>So is this not something I can do on my own, at least not completely?

I suppose the trick is to avoid getting any paint on the area outside of the gouge and you could do that with a toothpick instead of a brush, little dots at a time, then fill more with clear over the top but you'll still see the gouge since paint thickness is tiny in comparison to the depth of the damage. It really needs filled and sanded back to flat and that'll damage a small area around the damage, requiring a larger paint job which most body shops would want to do on the whole panel because metallic.

I do a lot of guitar repairs where little gouges like this have happened and we use a technique called drop-filling to fix them - look that up if you're keen to DIY - you'd need the panel off to do this for a car though as the fill area needs to be horizontal in order to stop the finish from running away.

/u/obirah

Pay a rep place to do it for $750 pr make an insurance claim and pay the deductible

Are you fuckin kidding me? I have those all over my car.

Tiny bit of bondo and some touch up paint and you're good to go.

you call their insurance with the information they gave you after the incident. usually the insurance representative will tell you to take it to a shop and have them send over an estimate. the insurance company will then either approve the repair and your car will be repaired, or they will tell you to get another estimate.

you did get their insurance information, right?

No like I said I was away for thanksgiving and I come back and see this.
thanks I'll look into this
Thanks for the info. Might try to touch it up myself but will probably leave the chips to a body shop down the road.
You right. Got my best advice/info here desu

Look on yelp for mobile touch up repair, get a touch up pen from dealer

why is the year, make and model of your car relevant at all?

DO NOT DRIVE THIS VEHICLE

Seeing as you're on Veeky Forums you probably own or have access to an air compressor. If so, visit your local bim dealer and buy some oem paint with the colour code of your car. Then buy some 2pac laquer and primer and a spray gun. Hit the scratch with some 240 grit, then the scratch and surrounding area with 600 and 1200 grit. After that apply your primer, overcoat and laquer as per normal

Then polish it

Lacquer*

Kill yourself asshole

sand, paint, clearcoat, polish

>I'm single so it fits my needs perfectly
My girl hates my 2'er. Probably instinctively realizes she's met her match.

Rekt