/ovg/ - James Makes a Thread Edition

Welcome to Veeky Forums video games thread

Previous Thread:
We have a Wiki page with some stuff on it.
>get-good.net

Swing by our Mumble server and introduce yourself!
>Mumble IP: mumble.get-good.net
>Port: 64783

Discord: hXnnJrJr

Basic equipment guide
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uLKMbKwweUZ3QvFeNs8UeycZbDyo0McxGj7T6uTaTNo/edit#gid=0

We race some stuff on the weekends, register here:
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R3KWTJsrlS9X2EZUNXY8KbHfsHD-t3_EU_A1n6wBBQc/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cEuU64Zt4B0
youtu.be/ytFHSNtPDs0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for Project Cars

second for project cars 2

Third for Project Cars 3

Name a better game

v-rally 3 on the gameboy

If I have autism and like AC will I like Forza 7 or is it shit on a wheel?

I played the demo and the Porsche was pretty much undrivably-understeery, and the GTR didn't seem to have a lot going on with regards to weight transfer. I also found it hard with the FFB to be able to tell when the car was about to oversteer out of a corner.

i haven't played it much, but as far as i did forza was pretty much gran turismo. aiming for loads of content instead of autism, things like that. can be enjoyable with right mindset.

I think a good way of measuring delusion is dollars spent vs. industry size. To put this in some kind of perspective, the anime industry is like $20 billion internationally these days. Racing simulators are apparently worth idk, like $5 billion. I have spent what is quite reasonably a frankly obscene amount of money on anime things that I could not even attempt to justify to anyone who wouldn't do the same but Christ if I could ever get close to $7700 US in one year.

Shit that dude has more money into niche low budget video games and accessories made by small self operated businesses in one purchase than I have into motorcycles in two years, and that's a $120 billion industry.

that's a weird way of looking at it, a smaller industry is probably going to need a higher average spending level to keep alive if anything

not that guy but off the top of my head, probably a hardware issue. emulation is shitty because computation power isn't like a bucket of sand that you have tons of of or not a lot of -- things are computed in very specific ways. Some computer equipment simply isn't built to handle that sort of calculation.

Why this is the case has to do with literal physical engineering -- physical chips can be optimized better than code for specific operations. It's why video cards outpace CPUs for video performance.

A modern PC can calculate anything given, and the key differences are the time it takes and how many levels of interpretation the problem and solution have to go through. But in early computing, things were much more rigidly defined, on much more rigid hardware, and not all of that hardware is still known nor has all the known hardware's engineering leaked, nor are there enough nerds who still care to understand or fucking reverse-engineer the known engineering. Some do exist, but please consider the capabilities of disjointed nerds on Discord and Github versus corporate-paid design teams doing 9-to-5 AND 1800-to-0800 shifts.

Anyway, the tl;dr is that to make the calculations that might have been trivial before is non-trivial now, and the way calculations were made at all may have been lost entirely over time.

Even modern emulators or modern consoles suffer from this; That one star wars X-Wing game on Gamecube is considered a holy grail of GC emulation because it has never, ever worked right. Wind Waker is a close second, because Nintendo is known for making games that never crash or fail graphics despite all other broken-ness, but WW was unplayable on Dolphin for a long time. It only became playable fairly recently, like in 2014 or something.

someone distract me until the GT Sport servers are online again, it's the only thing i find fun anymore

>He think the GTSport servers are coming back
It's dead

>I mean not to defend shitters, but what right do we have to deny them enjoying it?

Nobody is trying to deny people's right to splooge in sim gear, just pointing out how it's excessive. The more these videos circulate, the more outsiders and n00bs get the impression you need a turbo autist setup to play simulators.

This then fucks the community because they spend more time chasing "immersion" like a heroin addict who will never get the "first high" than actually practicing the racing aspect.

>someone distract me until the GT Sport servers are online again
Ok.

ens this meme

fucking classic

Why do you like GT Sport?

very nice

it's fun with a controller and the livery editor is great, and i don't have a gayman pc or xbox for forza
hmmm

I don't think that's particularly true.

Motorcycles = $120b/132m units = $909/unit (wew)
Cars = ~$1.5tr/77m units = $19480/unit

Similarly the fast food market is $500b and even though individual purchases are small it wouldn't even be considered that odd if someone said they spent $3000/year on it. Make no mistake that while they might not quite reach peak gacha/loot box levels these full cockpit simdads are huge fucking whales.

well sure, it's not true so long as we're talking at a scale where a large number of businesses can be sustained by a massive audience but the more niche you get, the harder it is for an industry to exist without the enthusiast who pays money for dumb bullshit

Why not play an earlier title that has 1k more cars?

oh my GOD what a fucking retard you are.

DON'T POST HERE ANYMORE

stop fueling it you spastic

i can't play that on a ps4, silly. and besides, quality > quantity, especially if the quantity is mostly gtr's and kei cars

whats it like being literally stupid irl

>what is emulation

Fine, but the point is that if someone buys a car for $8000 you can potentially respect it as a reasonable investment given the wide ranging market value of automobiles. If someone spends $8000 on buttshakers and I don't know what you can laugh at him for his $8000 of shit no one else will ever want.

literally impossible because older consoles are ancient black magic, according to

>Nobody is trying to deny people's right to splooge in sim gear, just pointing out how it's excessive.
Excessive is relative though.

>The more these videos circulate, the more outsiders and n00bs get the impression you need a turbo autist setup to play simulators.

You don't need practically anything to play simulators. Most you can do even with a keyboard or a pad. The obvious "but" is the fact that the immersion factor is non existent and that you can't attain the same precision as with a wheel.

>This then fucks the community because they spend more time chasing "immersion" like a heroin addict who will never get the "first high" than actually practicing the racing aspect.

Some people just like the experience. Much like people who enjoy a drive in real life at a brisk pace.
It doesn't always have to be about turbo autism and spending huge portion of your time on only one activity.
To put it simply some people like to take things casually with low investment in both time and money.
Some people like to obsess over being the fastest and spending lots of time on getting the best time on their lap.
Some people like to spend lots of money on a more immersive experience.
Belonging to one of those groups and being autistic about "my way is the only right way" is dumb.

very slow on my notebook, and since ir doesn't have bluetooth i'm stuck with keyboard and mouse

your autistic. get out

>You don't need practically anything to play simulators.
Why are you even playing if you aren't playing to win? Getting the best times requires a good setup. If you're too much of a lazy poorfag to save up for a proper wheel and dash and VR then what are you even doing with youre life?

wtf a usb bluetooth dongle is like 5 dollars man

can you stop or does someone have to stop you you goddamn animal fucker

fair point, but i still need muh liveries

finishing stuff is hard

This is what the Discord does to the thread. Aren't they so nice to have around?

>Why are you even playing if you aren't playing to win?
I just told you. Some people are in it for the immersion and experience. Some people don't want to commit lots of time and money and tread it as a side fun thing, rather than a consuming autism that eats up their time/money.

The explanation about market size versus audience contributing to the pathetic display put on by simdads is incorrect.

It's much simpler.

Real racing costs a lot of money. Basically, you race if you can afford to.

Sim racing is seen as a way to race without spending money.

Simdads are spending money on a hobby that is supposed to be about saving money.

In fact, they're spending so much, you wonder why they don't just skip the hobby completely. That's why it's ridiculous. They're paying more to play pretend, than it would cost to pursue their passion for real.

It costs $380 for a Logitech G29.
It costs $2,000 for a high-end direct drive wheel for "immersion"
It cost me $1,978 to drive some sort of entry level race car for a season.

Actually being at the track for an evening is 10000x more immersive than sitting in your undies turning laps in unfinished vidya with an expensive controller that shakes a certain way.

Fucking scrubs need to stay out of the business. Play to win or stay home.

>discord is ovg jews, evil jews pulling strings behind everything that's wrong
>at some point someone will take discord hate too far
>and then discord will win over entire ovg through guilt tripping

history repeats itself

stay eternally bitter that someone is enjoying something you're autistic over 10x more than you ever will while you bitch about them enjoying it and they don't even care that much about it

this, its a fucking job. if youre not willing to spend money on top of the line gear for your job, you need to do something else with your life

t. slow shitter with no twitch subs or sponsors

>t. genetically inferior assmad retard who doesn't even enjoy his favorite thing because he can't manage to not be butthurt for more than two minutes

>Real racing costs a lot of money.
no it doesnt a track day is usually only like a hundred bucks and you can rent a helmet, and autocross with cones in an empty parking lot is free. as well, if youre still in school, 99% of universities have racing teams where they build and race cars against other universities

>It cost me $1,978 to drive some sort of entry level race car for a season.
Hmmm, drive a shitbox in circles on a small track for a season.
Or get a wheel that will last you years with no annoying shit like maintenance, risk of injury, different and varied tracks.

No James, I guess it really is perplexing why people want to live your life

sorry, cant hear you over my twitch sub jingle. :)

what a dumb nigger.

>straight line speed vs cornering speed
>tunnel vision
>think to self, that alfa could have moved over more
>punish him to entertain ferraribro
youtube.com/watch?v=cEuU64Zt4B0
gr andy

nice peripherals get me that much more dopamine release from intense battles n stuff
i could save any slide in any car with a g27 but with this csw2.5 sometimes the car is just gone. i guess a small rim would help that
load cell is where better lap times come from

Final results are in and despite one cheating nigger paying extra money to have a supreme advantage, Barney Gumballs is your 2017 /ovg/ FantasyGP World Fantasy Champion.

>cheap
i was recently on my first track day, it was ridiculously fun but it's not "racing". You don't fight against other drivers directly, you don't have similarly specced cars, you rarely have anyone close to your times to follow. Track days are amazing, but it's not replacement for "real" racing.

Cheapest "real" racing would be karts or shitbox rallycross, both require much more than g27 money. I tried to attend rental kart race and went broke midway training, now i saved up a bit more and i'm considering getting some crappy seicento, spending money on rollcage and getting into most amateur of amateur rally/autocross series in my country. I saved around three times the value of seicento already and i don't think it's enough, i'll probably drop the dream until i finish college and get proper job. So yeah, racing is expensive hobby, especially compared to sims.

>Hmmm, drive a shitbox in circles on a small track for a season.
>Or get a wheel that will last you years with no annoying shit like maintenance, risk of injury, different and varied tracks.

I love my vidya, but being at the track > sitting in your boxers playing vidya.

>1 star

I want to accuse you of mumble false-flagging as Discord... But I think that's too shallow. I think you're actually SJ false flagging as mumble false flagging as discord in an attempt to encourage infighting and destroy /ovg/

>going around in a shitbox
>better than having a highly immersive sim where you can have any car, any track, play risky without the worry of dying or car damage or killing somebody
>better
I see you take a lot of pride in racing your shitbox, but then again you take a lot of pride in pretend racing as well.

>couldn't make TOP TEN after being tied for 10th going into the final race
JUST

>play risky without the worry of dying or car damage or killing somebody
you clearly never went on any kind of track. even if you fuck up and get off track, sand traps and tyres will probably stop you to the point when you barely scratch the bumper, unless you're driving some kind of 300kmph+ supercar. driving on the track is super safe.

also, this is the most beta argument i ever heard, but i guess there's all kinds of people. no hate or anything, it's okay to be gay

>the only racing that can exists is circuit racing
>it's impossible to get injured or damage the car on the circuit

>playing rfactor, the best racing sim ever made
>some shitter with a controller is spins me out
>crash into wall
>"FUCKING OW"
>think leg is broken while crushed underneath dashboard
>check leg status
>actually unharmed

>not breaking your leg for maximum realism

Suprisingly there's not as many GT-R's as 4 and up. Granted there's still allot of skylines but they at least manage to be some non R ones like the Tommy Kaira M30's (both the R31 and 32 based ones)

Can't get that while sitting in your boxers playing vidya. Truly I am missing out.

>But can your immersive experience be complete without a broken leg?
>No, we say!
>Order leg snap 8000
>innovative technology will snap your leg when the game detects a severe crash
>Leg Snap 8000. Feel every detail, every crash as if it were real

p-pls respond

Project Cars 2 Demo

What you have to remember is that not everyone has a track nearby, or the facility to store or transport a car, or is prepared or able to risk writing it off in the first corner of the first event, or has a family happy for Dad to go racing in the case of simdads, or has a job that offers weekends off. It’s almost like people’s priorities and circumstances vary person to person.

I have more money than I care to count - though a fraction of the leddit poster - in sim gear and I justify it quite happily because by virtue of where I live and the job I have, I’m lucky to get to a race track two days in a year. Spending a bit more on sim stuff makes me quicker, gives me more bang for buck, and lets me play arobus on my schedule.

youtu.be/ytFHSNtPDs0
RaceRoom Racing Experience

*play around on my schedule

> It’s almost like people’s priorities and circumstances vary person to person.
Christ I was beginning to worry that everybody here is autistic.

>it's not like everyone isn't a bitch nigger wasting their money to live out their unfulfilled fantasies

How do we fix /ovg/?

just like race cars

filter tripfags

Funny because true

You mean you're not? It's a requirement when you apply for /ovg/ membership.

can't upload them until tomorrow, but i'm really digging the livery editor for sport, and i've got a pic or two i wanna upload

you don't have the internet?

i can't into uploading without a flash drive (which i can't find right now) and am too stubborn to do it any other way

Can you import svg yet?

yes but it's really limited. don't even think about taking a png and saving it as svg

not sure, but i assume so since a lot of the custom decals are spot-on and very complex
and since anyone can now create decals
>wat stickers here i come

How limited we talking about?

highway already dumped wat decals and shit

15 KB per file, single color logos will work but even simple drawings won't fit in that size

Damn so no weeb paints then

unless said weeb makes the svg by hand it's unlikely, but then real weebs have been doing anime whores with the basic tools like they have been in forza

All it takes is some concentrated autism

>milf

She's like 25 you nonce.

There already tons of weeb shit. Some even upload whole anime characters cut in parts.

A lot of the cars are very understeery when stock. A huge part of this game is tuning and customizing your cars so this can all be tuned to fit your driving style

>James supports the discord shitters
Figures

Reminder to sign up for the /ovg/ big bash fantasy league so we have something to bully each other about over the winter

Why is this allowed

>giving a shit about e"""""""sports""""""""