Gonna buy a first car, have about a 4-5k budget

Gonna buy a first car, have about a 4-5k budget.

Pretty bent on a first gen boxster. Am I a moron? What could possibly go wrong?

I don't really need a car so I just wanted something fun and flashy.

IMS

Assuming theres no IMS problem, worth it?

I was going to try to avoid it by finding something with 100k+ miles, or having had the repair/bearing swap done with no prior signs.

Get a PPI and/or a leakdown test, should be good if it passes.

Boxters have reached rock bottom prices, nothing to lose unless you damage the car.

with your budget i would very seriously recommend you buy an economic japanese car like an accord, corolla or civic.

then USE that car to work your ass off and get your shit together to buy the car you actually want.

Exactly, worst case scenario I lost 5k which is nothing really. I just have a few questions

1. Given I check everything out and it's good, is it worth its price in hardware/performance?

2. How much can one reasonably expect to pay in maintenance if it's driven only for pleasure? I don't want to put more than a thousand or so in for the next couple years

3. What's the best color? And can "dull" looking porsches be brought back to life to look like the OP pic with little effort?

4. Is there a big difference in going with a 1999 vs a 2000 or 2001? Will I have trouble selling a 1999 vs a 2000 or 2001 in 2 years or so?

5. What's the maximum mileage one should accept when buying something they plan to drive for preasure to ensure resellability?

I am working my ass off right now, but I've still got a year of school left so my income is only in the summer (about 4k a month for 4 months out of the year). Out of graduation I already have an offer for 80k so it's just something to hold me until then

There is nothing wrong with buying one if you know how to turn a wrench in the slightest. oil changes and anything will be more because muh porsche but it's just as simple as any other car.

now fuck off

Cool, thanks nigger

Get one of these bad boys

fucking ugly

trust me bro

get a shitbox reliable car until you get your fun money. its absolutely worth the wait. a corolla with like 60-80k miles still cost at least 4k in most places

i buy old japanese and german cars, fix them up and turn them into drift cars then sell them as a hobby. german cars are a fucking nightmare in terms of maintenance in comparison.

ppl with the current budget you're talking about end up with flat black primer'd boxers that sit on the side of then road except once a week to keep the battery alive.

if you just wait you will absolutely end up with a sports car you like. with 80k salary you can get a perfectly clean used porsche. with 10k or less you're gonna get a lemon that someone is selling because they know the person buying it only wants to be able they own a car by that manufacturer. its the same trap a lot of bartenders fall into in their early 20s

>worst case scenario I lost 5k which is nothing really
you will always be poor with this attitude

Maintenance is killer. I've done all the work on my 911 since I've owned it but the parts are still much more expensive than shitbox/econobox counterparts.

Mileage is not a deal breaker, a good maintenance record is key to buying a Porsche.

>i buy old japanese and german cars, fix them up and turn them into drift cars then sell them as a hobby.
things that never happened.

Yeah, 80k isnt much lol

>buys throwaway 5k car
>buys another 50k car after getting job

i said as a hobby, not a job

you DON'T make money doing this. you trade in to only spend a few thousand when you move onto the next car.

i've owned 7 240sx's in the last 20 years lmao. every BMW i've worked on has been a nightmare and huge moneypit

>flashy

Fuck off, nobody is going to bat an eye at such an old Porsche. Never understood why people buy used Porsches. It’s like you want people to know you’re too poor to afford a new one. Even though the cheapest starts at around $50,000

for 4-5k id get an zzw30 instead of a boxter.

because they're good drivers cars, not everyone cares about status

porsche is very much a pay 2 play car if you want to go fast

realistically you can get into a cheaper bmw or vw if you are that desperate to go german but like lmfao a lot of these people are really budgetted for the miata life they just don't understand how fun a miata can be because its kind of gay reputation

Get yourself an ST202 or ST205

better buy a toyota from the 90's or something way better quality and less expensive in maintance

I second the MR2.

Excellent choice.

> similar car

> you can repair it cheap (you can even work on it yourself) uses corolla parts from Auto Zone

> Boundless tuning potential

> A boxter won't impress anybody

> A boxter would also be in poor condition at that price range. Your money would go further with an MR2

yes yes yes, the MR2 best car to choose. look at mine :D

That is not enough to get a good one friend. They will be fucked at that price. Average going price is about $11k.

Consider Z3 or Z4 or Miata?

>Fun fact MR2 spell in french SHIT

KEK i never see one in France >

I KEKked too when i heard it but it is actually renamed in France to just Toyota MR

>Porsche
>What could possibly go wrong?

This, get a shitbox to putt around in for a few months. You can literally drive it for two months and as long as you take care of it can sell it for exactly how much you bought it for to put towards your new car.

>be poor
>consider buying a 20 year old Porsche convertible with over 200 thousand kms
Do what you want. You're going to die poor anyways. It is in your nature.

A 5k 986 is a gamble at best and a huge moneypit at worst. I'd rather save up a little while longer and buy one for 7-10k with the engine and options I want.

ok, Nice to know

996s aren't even that expensive

neither are first gen Caymans and Boxsters

>if you just wait you will absolutely end up with a sports car you like
This is true, but depending on what you're after, you might not be able to use your dream car to its potential.
I'd love a McLaren, but I'm guessing that, by the time I save the money for one, I won't really enjoy the car the way I would at the age I am now.
Do guys with toddlers like to go 170 on the freeway?

if you land an 80k salary you can definitely go into a freakin dealership and they'll give you a 2 year plan with really shitty payments and minimal downpayment

we're talking about as near immediate purchase as realistically possible without literally having the money yet

>McLaren
Then pick a more expensive car.
The point is, there are cars that are out of immediate reach with even an $80K salary. Some would take years to put the money together for, and all that time you're getting older (and less willing to push the limits).

This. you arent in a position for a Porsche, even a heavily used one.

You know that 3k civic meme going around? Its not a joke... get a 3k civic for a first car no matter how much of a pussy you are for refusing to want to own one.

Why would anyone buy a mid engine flat 6 powered roadster with excellent driver feedback?

A ZZW30 is so wildly unpractical that if he even thinks about ever needing ANY cargo space, then he is fucked.

A 986 Boxster has 9.1 cubic feet of cargo space, whereas the MR-S has 1.5.

Honestly OP, save up some extra money and buy a Boxster for $7k+. That is much safer than a $5k Boxster.

Penis envy?

I didn't know those were so cheap. One of the ads I looked at said "just did 3k worth of maintenance".

Something you may not realize with it being your first car is some issues mean you can't drive it far without risking it breaking down (no road trips for you), and the majority of issues mean you can't beat on it.

At 5k, the suspension may be shit too. You imagine blasting around corners but it'll probably shake like a mofo and you need to spent thousands to get it back to normal, so no corners for you. They're slow as fuck in a straight line, expect to get smoked by any new car or any car, really.

It's up to you, but there is a nice feeling driving knowing your car can go across the country vs wondering why your temp gauge goes up and down slightly depending on how you drive.
btw, if you want to get an idea for price of parts go on ebay and look up the headlights, they're fucking expensive. Then do the same for an mr2. This is just the start of price of parts, and when you have a few issues it makes a huge difference.

Bought a Black 2001 mr2 for 5 grand like 2 years ago

stupid me didn't factor in any numbers just got a shitty job at Taco Bell so I could pay for it. Still there crazy enough.

I just need a car to get to the job and the mr2 I got had its issues. Don't buy from a Mexican. Seriously.

Suspension was fucked, windshield had a giant crack, tires were THE ORIGINAL TIRES, like what, every part of the car has seen 100k when I got it, now at 120k BUT WHO CARES IM 20 AND ITS A MR2....

Im now 23 and I have so many stories with it...
Also got a 280Z and a 13 Subaru Forester now.

The Subaru is literally twice the vehicle the mr2 is.
Thing is

Headlights are always expensive. As for most mechanical parts, you can get them for pretty fucking cheap on RockAuto

>first car
>5k Porsche
>Boxster
I would strongly advise against it.

FUCK NO
-sincerely, a mechanic

I don't understand why.
From what I've read on this board, Porsches are the epitome of cars, the best in reliability, speed, handling and maintenance.
Apparently, nothing goes wrong with them ever.
Let the man have his $5K Boxster. He'll never need another car, that's for sure.

*slashes canvas roof with katana*

If OP keeps us updated on what happens he should buy it.

You mean that bait thread a few threads down?
Just because they're (among) the best doesn't mean everything they make is flawless. Clean 986 Boxsters usually go for ~7k, unless OP is talking about UK monies a 5k Boxster will have things wrong with it.

>Clean 986 Boxsters usually go for ~7k
How can a mfr "among the best" have used models priced this low?
Isn't this what someone would pay for a used 5.0 Mustang?

ims bearing issues and "ugly" looks

General rule of thumb is if you can't afford a car new then you can't afford the repairs on a used version of it.

It's an indication of the price of parts for the car. Mr2 was like 80, boxster 800. Lexus are around 200. Civic like 40

Why do poorfags keep buying peasant brands, when they could be driving luxury cars at half the price? Boggles the mind

because when the new normie peasant brand car breaks it doesn't cost one gorillion dollars to fix

Isn't always true, though.
Maintenance on high end cars is pretty equivalent (expensive), new or used.
So regardless if you pay $300K for a new Ferrari, or $150K for a used one, you're still going to be paying about the same at the shop (assuming said used model has been well kept, which most are).

More common cars have cheaper parts? Woah

Dude just buy an Accord or something. Any old sports car is a terrible idea in school if it's going to be your only car

t. guy who bought a $7k Boxster in his second year of university