What are your thoughts on reverse cameras being mandatory on all vehicles made after May 2018?

Personally, I'm not too for it and like the old school look and feel of cars with basic interiors. They seem more reliable to me imho.
What are your thoughts Veeky Forumstists?

latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-autos-nhtsa-backup-camera-20140331-story.html

cnet.com/roadshow/news/u-s-requiring-back-up-cameras-in-cars-by-2018/

even if they don't have cameras they'll all have giant touchscreens

not sure why cameras are a bad thing if you don't need a giant screen, my FJ has one but it just pops up as a tiny screen in the rearview mirror when I put the truck in reverse

I drive an old 3/4 ton truck with a long bed
Installing that fucking camera was a great idea
It's the one gadget I'm all for

Visibility on modern cars suck ass. This is progress in the right direction. Dont be a degenerate. Id love. To have a screen in my mirror like in Mustangs, in my Accord.

In general I don't think they're needed, but they're nice to have. Especially the ones with trajectory arches to show where you're going as the wheel is turned. Its EZ mode for parking.

I feel like it'll morph into always having a fish eye view of your rear displayed on a screen so all your blindspots are visible. Either that or we'll have BMW/Merc 360 degree "camera" feeds displayed at all times. Thats basically how autonomous cars navigate, it just isn't shown to the occupant.

There is literally no reason not to have this

>I’m too cool to have a camera. Look how badass I am reversing without looking at a screen

>camera breaks
What then?

I think they're only useful at night when it's hard to see behind you. I hate having a big screen cluttering my dash up, but you can't really argue against something that helps prevent dings and scratches on your car.

I like it and the only reason you don't like it is because you think anything new is a bad thing

They help if you're pulling out of a spot in a crowded mall, the lens lets you see more than you could looking out your rear window. You can see that cross traffic coming from either side, save you from potentially getting a rear quarter dented.

> muh reverse camera! I can't see without muh reverse camera!

How often do you change the camera in your phone?

When are they going to start showing a 180 degree view of the back?

This. Stop being poor as well

>nhtsa

Why do Americans force this upon themselves? All those big macs making Americans so big they they need big cars that are hard to park especially when you can't turn your neck. Fucking lmao at your life

The camera in the rearview is pretty neat

There are cameras with some advanced wizardry that show a 360 view of your car

Back up cameras and sensors are a good thing.

>i know excatly the path my wheels are taking so ill never scrape them on a curb
>ill never accidently bump a 2ft tall random pole in tbe ground or back into someone elses car or truck ( most likely your car on the recieving end of stacys 20ft suv rear bumper)

And if youreare really against (((((infotainment))))))) centers

Refer to pic related.

if it keeps people from backing into my car then I'm all for it.

Back up cameras are the new automatics which only exists in America.

BMW and Mercedes have this. It makes a composite image from all the onboard cameras, even incorporates the radar sensors as far as I know. Its pretty wild.
I'm just waiting for this sort of thing to be wider FOV and available at all times while driving.

I rarely have a phone for more than a couple years so I don't have to worry about it breaking

>engine breaks
>transmission breaks
>radio breaks
>window breaks

why own anything if it will eventually break?

It's the Jews.

Backup cameras themselves are good, people who think they've become god's gift to tight space maneuvering because of them are cancer

Problem is that cars are turning into media consumption devices.

Pretty good for people with poor spatial awareness. Pretty bad for everyone else since it'll drive up the cost of owning a car.

Making it mandatory is obviously bad. Should be an option.

Not really as a decent camera for backup is under 20 bucks wholesale and most dash systems have a big screen, anyway - so there's no need to buy a screen. The safety testing for ree-rees who don't wear seatbelts adds more to the cost of the car. Since 1 state allows drivers not to wear seatbelts, car company's must test driver safety with both seatbelts and without. BMW i3's recently all got recalled because in a crash it can damage a broad who weighs less than 110 pounds and under 5 feet who don't wear a seatbelt in the DRIVER'S SEAT.

How about
Stick with me here
How about we just make cars you can actually see out of again?

>I dont like things that change. -Boomer

Small point, but it'll ruin people's sense of spatial awareness. I know people who have no idea how to reverse without the camera, and imagine what happens because there's no cameras for the front or sides

Don't they do already? My company car a4 avant has one and the view is like with my gopro (170deg I think). It's good if you want to reverse out of a parking spot into a crowded street and the truck next to you is blocking the line of sight. For parking I still use the mirrors more

I will point out the only reason your visibility sucks is as a direct result of side-impact airbags and rollover protection being mandated.

how about not letting sub 100 IQ cro magnons on the road

General advice for people in this thread, go watch the currently airing season of Canada's Worst Driver. They started rigging up reversing cameras for the cars this year and it's actually made people worse, because they tunnel vision onto the camera and forget there's an entire car around them. Normies can't be trusted with it.

This is the only reason I want a newer car, it's incredible for tight parking.

>mirrors break
>neck breaks
What then?

>goyim can't be trusted

You don't fucking say.

Honestly, i used to laugh at the idea that people needed them, thought it was just another pointless thing to break. But now that i bought a new truck with one, it makes parking and all SOOO much easier.

Matt your a faggot

300 owner here

can confirm visibility sucks ass only directly behind the vehicle. Unless you are straddling the door backing up, its a roll of the dice if you hit anything. The backup camera helps immensely and the red box is extremely accurate

I think it's ridiculous, along with shit like blind spot monitoring, lane departure warning, automatic parallel parking, o lo que sea. It's teaching normies to become even more reliant on technology than they already are. They might as well roll out the self-driving cars for fuck's sake.

This backup camera business was given a HUGE jump by this legislation. The idea was "safety" because some dumb mother ran over her own kid complaining that she couldn't see out the back. That's not the reason they did it though. The government gets its bribery money and the companies get to sell a good that car companies are FORCED to purchase. Beautiful example of corruption.

honestly you don't necessarily need it, but when you need those 2 inches and your alone parallel parking, it really fucking helps.

when are front-facing cameras coming then?
yesterday I was about to run over small child that ran in front of my car while creeping out of a parking space at a supermarket. View was blocked by some hood, a-pillar and side mirror, only stopped because the mom was yelling at the kid to watch out

backup cameras are great, especially for today's fatbody trucks and suvs. Sticking a backup camera for an MX5 or GT86 seems stupid as fuck though.

However, making them mandatory after only so few years of growing use seems a bit (((suspect))).

This shit always seems like a good idea to people who are used to doing it the 'normal' way. Problem is they never stop to think about how the next generation that never learned how to do it the manual way is going to deal with it. I think it is going to make people lazy and I don't like it, I rather people look over their shoulder so I can make eye contact with them.