Ford Escape owners, I got some things to ask you about it...

Ford Escape owners, I got some things to ask you about it. The reason I am interested in it is that it's built in America by an American company, both turbo engines are efficient and potent, and has just the perfect cargo space and rear-seat space I need for my family.

Here are the questions:-
>What is its true MPG?
>On a scale of 1-10, how reliable is it when it comes to parts and build quality?
>Which is better to choose, the 1.5 TC or the 2.0 TC engine? Most of my trips will be in the city and the highway, but I don't want a lethargic engine that doesn't have the power I need when I'm in a pickle.

Other urls found in this thread:

american.edu/kogod/research/autoindex/
businessinsider.com/ford-electric-suv-will-rival-tesla-model-y-2017-5
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump

>what is it's true mpg?
Car manufacturers are required by law to accurately represent their mpg figures. KIA got a huge fine for this a few years back. So ignore the Autists when they say hurr durr ecoboost not eco. I only have experience with the 1l turbo from ford and that went about 80k miles over 2 years without a single hiccup. My company sold the car this year and picked up a new fleet vehicle for me

Nice to hear that the ecoboost engines are reliable. I think of sticking to the FWD model because it never snows in my area, so AWD isn't necessary.

That fucking engine sucks ass. It won't pull a damn thing until after like 4 seconds after you floor it. Had one as a rental for a week, you could be turning left out in traffic, and it wouldn't do shit until you were damn near in the far lane. Then it would take off like a rocket, but that sucks also because it shifts just as it's getting going. It makes you look like a boy racer or something. Would not recommend. I assume I had the smaller engine, it had awd and was an xlt I think.

No one gets the stated mpgs in those ecoboost, thousands and thousands of forum posts about people bitching about it.

>until after like 4 seconds

Yeah it fucking sucks, never experienced an engine doing nothing at all until you were almost in the other lane. It's a piece of crap.

1.6L owner here
I drive like a mad cunt, and most of my miles are city miles. Pic related. If I reset the trip counter on the freeway doing 80MPH, I get 26MPG.

If you want good passing power at freeway speeds, or plan to occasionally tow, get the 2L. The 1.5/1.6 runs out of breath above 80, it also likes to cruise at 80.

AWD and short low gears means it launches like a motherfucker, especially if you preload the torque converter.

I give the reliability an 9. Mechanically it’s a 10/10, only issues I’ve had are me being retarded and high revving it cold (first turbo car) or running low on coolant and the car going into limp mode. Interior gets a 8/10, it looks great and I get compliments on it all the time by passengers, the infotainment cluster is also easy to use and isn’t busy with buttons. The reason I give it a 8 is due to the inside driver door handle snapping (plastic), and needing to open the door by rolling down the window and pulling the outside handle. The replacement feels much sturdier.

Learn how to drive tiny displacement turbo cars. They’re peaky and make no power below 3k revs. If you’re too damn stupid, the transmission also learns how to drive around your handicaps.

This post is correct.

It takes nine point fucking seven (9.7) to get to 60, it's not just me. So should I rev it up with my foot on the brake to get to take off? Gtfo with that bs. The bigger, or the Na engine might be Ok, but walk away from the 1.5

The N/A is actual hot garbage and only available in the Cali spec (FWD) models.

>rev with foot on the brake
Not unless you’re going full boyracer and want to go fast. It’s just a fun thing to do in automatic AWD cars.

Simply take the time to learn how to use a low displacement turbo engine. It’s not the Ford’s fault. A 1.6L is always going to make low power in the low revs.

My advice is to stop letting the transmission short shift. Keep it in sport mode for a while when it get it so you can control the shift points. The transmission then learns how you drive and improves the shift points accordingly.

How does it feel that the best ford's are made in Europe? So much for American made

No you stupid fuck, I'm talking about from a dead stop it won't do shit. There's nothing you can do about that, it's a gutless wonder. You smug, arrogant pricks that don't know shit ruin this board.

Sorry. I didn’t know it would frustrate you so much to be unable to make a car that takes off so well take off well.

Perhaps you could take a few driving courses?

Feels pretty good. Just wish those krauts didn’t make it so easy to casually break the speed limit without noticing.

I had issues with the paddle shifters also, it won't instantly down shift, and it won't go into 1st unless you are under like 2kish. Thats my other main gripe about that car. Glad you enjoy yours tho.

I got 39 mpg in that 1l which a little over the combined mpg

You shouldn’t be shifting down into first, let the car do that when you come to a stop.

Your car is a slow pos, quit deflecting and admit it. You have to know exactly what I'm talking about if you own one. I have no issues with my driving, 1 million + safe miles in my truck.

Fuck that. I was on mountain roads in Colorado, what's the point of a high rpm engine if it won't let you use it?

>in my truck
No wonder you’re not used to no torque low in the rev range. You’ve probably never driven anything with less than 6 cylinders, let alone a 1.6L. You would probably hate any car with a 4AGE.

I mean, what’s the smallest engine you’ve ever driven besides the ecoboost?

N=1

Downshifting from 2 to 1 can cause overspeed, which causes valve float. The software lockout is there to keep you from breaking your engine.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the engine not having any power from a standstill. When I say truck, I mean semi, so I'm quite familiar with turbo lag. Im not complaining about the power once you get going, it's adequate, at best.

I figured it was some nanny bullshit, but it's set so damn low at like 2k.

Shit. I didn’t know they let drivers this bad drive semis.

Either that, or you’re making up actually driving an escape or making up being a truck driver.

They take off hard, and that’s all there really is to it. The actually wimp out at higher speeds contrary to what you are saying.

Thanks for the detailed post, my friend. Sounds like the 2.0 is the engine for me.

NP. I hope you enjoy the car.

I didn't drive it above 75 or something. It was genuinely frightening pulling out in traffic in that thing until I figured out it won't go until it gets going. Pic somewhat related, been doing this 12 years now.

Again, what *******small******* engines have you driven?

I couldn’t care less if you operated a ULCC oil tanker.

It has no power down low, just accept it and move on. Nothing anyone, including you, can do anything about that. It takes damn near ten seconds to get to 60 forchrisakes.

>it has no power down low
That’s what I’ve been saying. That’s why you have to high rev it. This is not a diesel motor.

So you can’t admit that you’ve ever driven a small engine before that?

Rev it high with a auto transmission from a complete stop? Do you know how retarded you sound ?

>he keeps avoiding the question
HURR DURR BUT I DRIVE A SEMI, I KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT CARS NOW

Is it really that ridiculous to hold it in first instead of short shifting?

Semis limit torque in the first 2 gears, so they don't exactly pull great down low either. Your question is superfluous also. It's just your way of trying to argue and catch me up on some type of """""technically""""" that is pretty immaterial to the discussion anyway.

Not trying to catch you on any technicality. Just trying to point out that you’re angry that it’s a 1.6 liter and don’t know how to drive them. It’s not bad at all for a 1.6L engine. Unless you can find a better example.

But you just don’t seem to have any experience with small engines.

Your mentioning of semis is the only thing superfluous ITT.

It won't do anything until it's damn near in the other lane. Don't pull out in traffic in that car. I have no issues whatsoever when it gets going in whatever gear. It's absolutely bizarre the way it acts from a standstill. This isn't about it shifting too soon.

I have no problems pulling out and passing cars all of the time. Have you tried sport mode? It adds more boost than drive does. It also changes throttle response. If that’s too much, the kickdown feature on the accelerator also sends you to the back of the seat.

Maybe you had a bunk rental car, because no car should be doing that, regardless of model.

>Don't know how to drive it
You can floor it, it ain't going anywhere in a hurry, nothing *you* can do about that either. It's fine once it gets going, I suppose, thats where your """"""driving skillz""" you keep droning on about *might* make a difference. The small engine is absolute shit in that vehicle, avoid it at all costs.

I never once mentioned my driving skills. That was the guy who brought up semis for no reason, remember?

So what sub 2L engines are better than the 1.6 ecoboost?

Ecoboost is a marketing term that refers to selling a small engine that is turbo charged to give you equivalent power to the NA while giving better gas mileage.

In reality turbos kick in at higher revs which means you won't get the equivalents power unless you are reving the engine high which also means you are relying on that tiny engine for low revs.

So unless my reasoning is wrong, you won't see much 'boost' in mpg during city driving but you will feel the engine struggle to move the giant SUV. At highway speeds in top gear around 75 you'll be using less gasoline than the non egoboost.

The turbos are good on a track where you are always revving high. They are ok for cuck boxes because the lower weight of the car means the little engine is fine and the turbo will run well at high speed.

For a truck your ecoboost is a bit of a meme and by that I mean literally designed to trick liberals into paying extra for less engine.

Also turbos are moving parts and they move fast which means they wear out.

Thank you nonphonse. I never knew the dark magic behind ecoboost technology. Why hasn’t any other manufacturer unlocked this technology?

I agree, it's deceptive, at best. They should plaster "turbo" as large as they can like Porsche does so everyone knows.

Ecoboosts have tiny turbos that spool very fast but peter off around 5500rpm.

The Ford Escape is not 100% made in the U.S. Check this index for details: american.edu/kogod/research/autoindex/

Also, Ford plans on making a plug-in hybrid Escape for 2019 and an all electric version for 2020. Why not wait until then?

If you want to buy a car that is 100% made in the U.S. then buy a Tesla., Telsa's working on a CUV and it's due in 2019 or 2020:
businessinsider.com/ford-electric-suv-will-rival-tesla-model-y-2017-5

Tesla is the most American car company -- more than GM or Ford because they build and assemble 100% of their vehicles in the U.S.

I just bought the turbo 2.0 escape for similar reasons to the ones you mentioned. I'm averaging about 22-24 mpg but I'm not in a city. This is mostly local suburb and highway driving. I would not call the car lethargic. Do keep in mind that mine has an option to change it from "eco mode" to something like "power" or "anticipation". Eco is the default. I fucking hate the response of most modern autos, but this car is decent for me so far. I haven't spent too much time in those other modes but I imagine they kill the MPGs but make it drive quite a bit better.

My gf has a '13 Escape, she gets 18-19mpg city and isn't an economic driver, I've got an all time best of 29mpg to a tank when we took a trip and got 28mpg another time going to the same place.

The AWD system works really well and applies power to the rear every time from a standstill and whenever it deems necessary. There's a display so you can watch the torque split. If you feather it right you can get it to do donuts (in the snow) without the stability control killing your momentum.

>buying a crossover
post tits. you're obviously a woman.