Auto tools general

Sup Veeky Forums, can we have a thread about automotive tools? Are there any good cyber Monday deals out there right now?

Also what's the best cordless 1/2in impact drive for your money?

Other urls found in this thread:

mobiledistributorsupply.com/apprentice-technician-starter-set-1.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAjO_QBRC4ARIsAD2FsXOxYMtyX3azMW4LHaj336iKtGujofyBEYe-olJ-Z6ri-ts_XCXdNswaAk-OEALw_wcB
amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-24964-337-Piece-Apprentice-Starter/dp/B01G7I4XXI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Depends on how much power you need and how much you'll be using it

I have the 18v Ryobi impact. 3 speeds, maximum torque of 375/400nm. Its a really good impact for hobby usage, and does stuff like wheels, drum locking nuts, leaf spring bolts, control arm bolts and more very well

Still - its not something you'd want to use every single day due to its mediocre power and it not being intended for professional use

>using a bolt destroyer on a car

>I dont know how to use tools the right way

I recently got my tools all setup, i got one of those big "starter" tool sets that have a bunch of ratchets, sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers,air hammer air ratchet air drill and 1/2 impact, specialty tools like brake caliper tools and shit and what not and a cart, also got a HF air compressor and a bunch of different size wrenches and ratcheting wrenches from HF like stubbys and whatnot and their reciprocating saw. Then I got 2 jacks, tranny jack, jack stands and pans and shit. So far I've used most everything I owned so id call it money well spent

I think he’s referring to the fact that op mentioned an impact driver instead of an impact wrench.

Makita bolt head remover

Well... if you're trying to use a 1-speed 1000 newton impact driver as an impact wrench then you're gonna have a bad time for sure

Milwaukee master race desu, just picked up a 9.0 battery and a bunch of new M12 XC packs

Finna get an m18 lantern or 3/8 fuel impact next, also got my eye on the m12 USB power source to charge my phone up when traveling and hiking

That's a nice set senpai how much did it cost you?

>buying into the battery-powered jew
with air, you can use any tool with any compressor. Why the fuck aren't tool batteries standardized yet?

I have a bunch of air tools and an air compressor too, these have their place and air has its place as well.

You don't need a 1/2" cordless unless you work on 1 ton+ trucks regularly. Get a 1/4 hex impact gun and pick up a set like this.

These won't take lug nuts or suspension bolts off

You can just go and fuck yourself with those chinsy fucking adapters.

should I buy an impact wrench while they're cheap Veeky Forums? I've literally never had a problem with ratcheting wrenches. i have a torque wrench also

They also won't strip anything out. Break things loose by hand. Zip them off and back on with a 1/4 gun. Torque them to spec.
>I don't have time for that!
I have time for that and I'm a tech. I am afforded that time by never breaking anything. For a backyarder a 1/2" gun is even more useless.

I also only use harbor freight tools. The socket set i just did my headjob with was 7 dollars for like 6mm to 14
is there a reason to use expensive tools? i hear about the "cheap tools always break" meme, but that has literally never happened to me except maybe like the ball bearing part

I don't torque anything to spec except engine parts and lug nuts, miss me with that gay shit

Well, that's why you're wrenching on $3k cars in your garage and not making any money.

?
I do mobile mechanic and I ran a shop for two years

Nothing wrong with (some) cheap tools. Obviously the expensive tools will last you many more years of abuse.

But if I hate something with a passion it's adapters. If the driver wasn't meant to wield a certain size socket don't put it on. It's like putting a condom on your small dick and filling the empty space with tissues.

Did you have many recurring customers?

>Did you have many recurring customers?
Of course, my work is solid and well priced

I dunno mane, I use these ...Harbor freight.....light duty stuff for motorcycles and some stuff on my tundra....has worked well with my 18 v makita impact driver....

Harbor freight tools are fine, esp the later stuff they make, the only thing I don't like about them is the versatility is lacking, Milwaukee has like 1000 different tools that all work with the same batteries, and they use legit LG/Sony/Panasonic cells not no name lithium cells.
1/4 hex stuff is fine on motorcycles I use my m12 1/4 on motorcycles all the time it works fine there, nothing is really bigger than an m12 fastener.
Once you start doing shit like dropping axles and motors, trans mounts etc etc you need more.
You could always do everything with hand tools but I'm good on that, I did it for years when I was younger but I have these tools and they make life much more enjoyable when used.

I agree on all your points...good posts.....I pick and choose carefully with harbor freight .....usually only adapters and sockets.....

I paid 1400 total and got free shipping from these guys

mobiledistributorsupply.com/apprentice-technician-starter-set-1.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAjO_QBRC4ARIsAD2FsXOxYMtyX3azMW4LHaj336iKtGujofyBEYe-olJ-Z6ri-ts_XCXdNswaAk-OEALw_wcB

Which is direct from the manufacturer, but I got it through Amazon on sale. Which was nice. Unfortunately it's not on Amazon anymore and on the website it's now 1499$

If there's power Nigger rigging nigger pls go!

>Gotta have that snap-on brand butt plug
>Gotta spend $5k on a lift you'll never use

Yeah their hand tools are actually pretty fucking good man, the high polish wrench sets and their breaker bars, socket sets etc are pretty fucking nice for the price.
You could do a bump up and get sunex or something off Amazon but yeah they are solid.
The kits they sell like 400pc etc are all trash I don't like any of those, but buying the parts separate the quality is good.

That's a nice set up for sure, I fuck with it.

How am I nigger rigging?

Hey user funny story looks like it's back on Amazon and I know EXACTLY why.
>be me
>order this set
>arrives incomplete, missing over a thousand in tools (checked retail price on individual part numbers I was missing, off their website)
>this happens on veterans, I'm active duty military and just got back from "deployment" and spent my hard earned cash in this set
>needed tools that weekend to swap my transmission out
> fly into drunken rage on Amazon review section
>"muh veterans, muh hard earned overseas money, muh unpatriotic scam" blah blah 1 fucking star
>item is immediately taken off Amazon
>they contact me, ask me for missing part numbers and overnight it to me for free literally arrives next day with many apologies emails and phonecalls from branch manager
>use the tools to fix car
>go back on last night, set is still unabailable
>delete old review, leave 5 star review and thank them personally
>item is now magically available again on Amazon

lol that's fucking great, I love it

The best part is they didn't even scam me. The shipper legitamitley lost a box, so who knows some kid out there might have gotten a nice Christmas present from me, or I might receive it one of these days and then have dubs of tools

amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-24964-337-Piece-Apprentice-Starter/dp/B01G7I4XXI

1429$ not a bad deal