Engine Swaps

Whats going on Veeky Forums

I've got my eye on mk3 Supras right now and am considering buying one after college.

But of course there is the classic issue of American Supras being cursed with the 7mGte vs the JDM 1JZ.

I'd considered importing a Japanese supra but i'm really not interested in LHD cars.

So i'm left with the age old question, do i build up the 7m to make it reliable and powerful, or do I find a 1JZ and do the swap?

Rebuilding and reinforcing the 7m is obviously the cheaper solution, however I have heard that even after doing all the right things (upgraded head gasket, oil pump, retorque head bolts etc) it can still be dodgy and not alot of fun with a 5500 rm redline.

The 1jz swap is expensive, but it is an excellent platform and the swap isn't overly complicated with 89+ supras (same engine mounts)

I have never done an engine swap before and there would be a lot of learning and issues along the way i'm sure.

tldr; mk3 supra 7mgte or 1jz?

also, post cool engine swaps to keep this thread fun

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Iyw20RCk8Yo
toymods.org.au/forums/threads/64190-7mgte-build-and-need-to-know-how-to-hit-500whp
youtu.be/pnymBn9jZ5s
cbfperformance.net/#!/JZ-swap-Kits-Mk3-supra-Mkiv-supra-and-SC300/p/67349542/category=19722030
youtube.com/watch?v=fSw0tZ3NwpM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

V12 toyota corona youtube.com/watch?v=Iyw20RCk8Yo

There is only one approved engine swap on Veeky Forums

Go balls to the wall and put 8n a 2j, it shares the mounts with the 1j.
Either that or build the 7m, it's not too different from a 1j.

but ls swap is basic bitch and im a special snowflake user

The engine swaps that get done and result in a usable vehicle are typically the ones that are less snowflakey

1jz, 7mgte's are trash.
t. former 7m supra/current 1j supra owner

Id love to do a 2jz swap but those engines have a heavy ricer tax on them that really irritates my inner jew. Is there a checklist online somewhere of things you should do to beef up the 7m?

did you do the swap yourself? do you have a ballpark figure of time/money spent on project?

also, what was the turning point on owning the 7m that made you switch?

That I can agree with, that's why I wanted to go with the 1jz because in this instance it might even be easier than an ls swap. I still want to have a car with ac/working instrumentation a well balanced, reliable street car is the goal here

fuck me thats a good looking car.

Keep us posted

It's gonna be years until I can do this but I will definitely be posting here whenever I get this done. It's what keeps me working hard while I'm here at school

by the time you graduate and have a stable job you can probably just pick up a used MK5 supra lol

>implying i will spend my hard earned cash on a pos bmw/yota love child auto only hybrid

Hey, that's a familiar sight!
B2x4 or B2x5? Timing cover makes me think 2x5?

LS swap it, I'm not memeing

I like the LS but i really wanna stick to toyota engines cause im a huge fucking fanboy and im not proud of it.

id be willing to do that on a trans am gta, since they look similar and it isnt sacrilegious

i just want 80s wedge with popups and i happen to be a toyota fanboy fuck my life

Use a good motor because it's good and makes sense, not because of a name on the valve cover
Brands mean nothing, good is good, bad is bad

Try this one toymods.org.au/forums/threads/64190-7mgte-build-and-need-to-know-how-to-hit-500whp

The 7m evolved into the 1jz so the mod lost should be similar after reinforcing that head gasket.

thank you sir

1jz and 2jz are heavy as hell, the last thing an A70 needs up front. Offboost, the 2.5L is a slog in the 3600lb chassis.

If you want to stay toyota, then 1UZ-FE is the ticket. Spend the extra money on (good) coilovers and bushings and you'll have far, far more fun than a stocker with a jz.

bonus fanboy points: the 1UZ was originally designed for the MK3 before Lexus became a thing.

thats alot of helpful info.

im liking the idea of building up the 7m mainly because the general consensus is just fixing a few issues with the shitty head gaskets and then youre pretty much good to go with building it up like the way they describe in this forum.

I dont think i'll ever really push beyond 450 hp so theres really no need for me to be spending more money on potential power i'll never use

i was toying with that idea too, the uz is a great engine. i also was considering dropping a toyota celcior v12 in there but thats a level of special snowflake i shouldnt be reaching for on babbys first swap

>400hp to the wheels, torque for days
>one of a kind

Fuckin siiiiiiiiiiick

>1UZ
>good

>The 7m evolved into the 1jz

Not even a little bit. The M block is from the '60s, the jz was a new ground up design.

The M oiling system is very poor by comparison, and was never intended to be turbo'd, let alone hit 500hp reliably. I don't see any mention of this on that page, so it's not trustworthy.

>1UZ was originally designed for the MK3 before Lexus became a thing.

Really? Never heard that, big if true.

we get it you like LS swaps

fucking tripfags shitting up threads fuck

Transmission? If you want to go manual you might find it's easier with the 1j than the 1u.

oh boy having an autotragic on a supra would be a monumental mistake

It's not even that I like LS, I love RB, I love SR, I love JZ, but you have to look at things for what they are, not just from a fanboy perspective.
The LS makes sense, a JZ makes sense, a 1uz does not fucking make sense, it's a shit motor with shit heads, it doesn't matter if it was designed for racing or some shit, those heads on the fucking motor aren't designed for racing, they are designed for a V8 Camry and they don't flow worth a damn, it's a shit motor.
Do a J motor and stop being a fucking retard who's just going to end up regretting putting a shit ass motor and wasting your god damn time.

>The 1jz swap is expensive, but it is an excellent platform and the swap isn't overly complicated with 89+ supras (same engine mounts)

1jz swap isn't that expensive. Get R154 and 1JZ-GTE

B234 from Saab 9000 CSE with old-style Saab NG900 timing cover
swapped into 1999 9-3 with N/A manifold and intake cam

Wondering if it's true too

Here’s mine. 1jz vvti. Variable valve timing with turbo feels insane. Next best thing is 2jz vvti

>I have never done an engine swap before
have you ever built an engine for performance before?

never said i was gonna do the UZ, just a cool idea. id do the jz if anything

nope, im probably gonna try to just build the 7m. i have to start somewhere or ill never learn anything though right?

>i have to start somewhere or ill never learn anything though right?

agreed, but keep in mind the cost of your fuckups increases with complexity. i'd really consider getting some clapped out 4 banger and doing a max cheepness performance rebuild.

a 1k learning experience is a pittance to what a minor fuck up on your Supra build will cost you. but fuck it man, its your car.

Buy a manual na hardtop.
A 1jz connects to the w58
Or buy a hardtop turbo. Just know that 7m are really hard to repair.
Keep in mind to replace anything cooling related when swapping or repairing the 7m

depends, is this your main car or is it a project you have plenty of time/money for?

If project hell yea do the swap. The 1jz is a sick motor. It drops straight in on the same engine mounts and wiring specialties has the full standalone harness so that is a piece of cake.

Also here is some motivation: youtu.be/pnymBn9jZ5s

Damn remember when Veeky Forums had actual discussion about technical stuff?
I've been coming here less and less the last years, anyone know of a general car site that is still for actual car guys and not people that watched FnF once and suddenly have opinions about cars.

How feasible would swapping an inline 5 out of an 850 Turbo into a 740 wagon be?

The shitters drove away most of the good posters.

kill you are self LS cuck

>ever listening to the furfaggot

Wtf 1jz is boring

LS SWAP IT

those were the days

How do you think this would work in a IS200?
It's a 1UZ-FE VVTi

Forgot pic

What about the viability of the 350z CD009 Transmission? A couple different placed are making clutch kits, adapter plates, and full swap kits for A70s. cbfperformance.net/#!/JZ-swap-Kits-Mk3-supra-Mkiv-supra-and-SC300/p/67349542/category=19722030

sloppy single turbo 5.3, make 500+ for peanuts, be happy, do skids

This

Are you samefagging rn?

no, im a different dude.

Doing a mild refresh on the 7m isn't a bad idea. If you get the block and head machined and install and MHG, you could end up recouping some of your cash by selling the engine if you ever want to swap in a jz. People will pay for a low mileage 7m that fixes all the basic reliability issues.

Secondly, there is no reason to swap a 1j over a 2j. The cost differences are negligible when you analyze the whole budget for the swap. The only way a 2j will cost significantly more than a 1j is if you're a big dummy who buys a non-vvti engine. The VVTI 2jz out of aristos is better in almost every way, save for ceramic turbos, different injectors and some other fixable shit.

if you want transport that can get shit done then buy a fucking bus ticket
why shove one of the most generic and lifeless engines into a car that has a name for its engine because you dont want to put down the maintenance?

>one of the most generic and lifeless engines

An Engine's personality is defined by the way it drives, not by the marketing and mythos behind it. If that's the only way you're able to think about engines, then you have no business giving advice about engine swaps.

I suggested the 1UZ up above. I owned 7M-GTE and 1UZ powered A70s, and drove the JZs plenty of times.

Let's shed the pretense: the MK3 is not a baby MK4. The LS is the engine that lets the MK3 chassis shine, more than any other engine listed in this thread. It is the least-lifeless engine suggested. It's simply a bonus that it happens to be the cheapest and easiest to maintain.

I only pitched the 1UZ for, again, the fanboy factor. As soon as it isn't one, the LS checks all the boxes.

BTFO

>N/A intake cam
Hm, I guess I could have gone for that too.
I'm also liking the striped valve cover.

I recently had mine out (B234R, 9K Aero) to do the chains and replace the head. Factory new head castings were ridiculously cheap until a bit ago, now they're sold out. Guess Orio were clearing their stock.
However, it started burning oil and dripping it out of the exhaust manifold. I'm still not sure replacing the valve stem seals (which had less than 300 km on them at that point) really fixed it, but I'll have to drive it for a while to be sure - there's bound to be a small puddle in the exhaust manifold that's gonna have to come out before the dripping stops. The plugs are dry now in any case.

dont listen to lsfags, go for the engine your heart desires

i have pic related with a 7MGE, just replace with a better headgasket than OEM, better headbolts, and use the new higher torque spec for the headbolts and youre fine. my headgasket barely started to go at 90,000km in 2013 (coolant reservoir flooded past 150kmh) so i did the headgasket and new issues

you can apparently run a 1JZ off of 7M wiring but fuck it, ive loved M engines over JZ since i was a kid. my girlfriend had a 2JZGE Toyota Aristo and my 7MGE Crown felt faster even being 7 years older. this summer im ripping apart the engine again to do some more work and hopefully hit around 240+hp NA, not a fan of turbos

okay how so? A340E auto trans are so bulletproof Jeep used them in some Cherokee. my Crown weighs nearly 4000lbs and ive raced some guys on a full tank of gas with 150lbs of shit in the trunk and they end up asking if its got a 1J turbo in it. i was going to swap in one of my 2 spare W58 transmissions but fuck it, if i dont want to drive my manual Supra its way easier to drive an automatic and auto is faster off the line

Transport that doesn't get shit done is a lawn ornament.

Hmm I am having a similar problem with oil consumption, it's leaking around the manifold gasket as well. Bought the head already rebuilt so not sure how well it was done.

What are the logistics behind putting a UZ in an A70? Would turbos be a viable option at some point?

It really does depend on what you want to do with the car and how much power you wanna make. A 7M will make it too 400 whp reliably on stock internals and a new head gasket, with proper supporting mods. They can make 1000 whp, but its very expensive. The best part about the 7M is that it is very torquey, with its long stroke. A 1JZ will rev higher and technically faster, but make less torque for hauling that heavy ass car around. You could even put a 2JZ in it and make stupid power, and the swap is about the same as a 1JZ. Just depends on what you want.

>but fuck it, ive loved M engines over JZ since i was a kid.
7M's are actually very good engines aside from the head gasket issue. Once it's remedied, it can be made really powerful on stock internals.

>oil problems
No way man. Is yours a "new" head too (check the casting date, mine's an '01 cast so produced after the 9k production ended)? How old is your block? Did you touch the bottom end at all? Done a compression test?

I'm really bummed out about the whole situation, all the mechanics I've talked to didn't have any idea what the issue might be. Replacing the stem seals seems to have helped some, but there's still some oil dripping from one cylinder.

WHY
DOESNT
HE
REV
IT

nothing wrong with ls your just a fag
Look up mcm's swap build i think it was called grandpa? it was a mx83

You seem a little too stupid for a Mk3, maytbe just leave those cars for people who actually appreciate them more.

If you're even gonna daily this thing occasionally, i'd go with the 1UZ OP.

The TORK is nice too.

BMW M3 I-6

No compression test yet, it feels good at least but I will do the oil test to rule out the piston rings soon
I believe the block is a 1996 or so. Didn't touch it, just popped it straight in the car
The head is also from 1996. Come to think of it, I used this same head on my B204 block and it had the same problem.

>Too stupid
>For a mk3

Are you implying mk3 owners aren't all highschool dropouts? cos i've got news for you...

>not interested in LHD cars
>importing a LHD supra from japan
wut

Easier to find CD009 because of niggers totalling Z's and G's, but R154 drops in easier.

pls no bully.

Alright so it's probably safe to say this is a head issue. I will take my new head off when I get the time and put my old head (which was fine apart from some cam journal scoring, I just put the new one on for shits and giggles) back on.
Honestly apart from cracking I can't think of any way for oil to get from the cam area through new seals and guides into the chambers/ports. But I find it difficult to believe that I was sold a cracked head, never used, straight from Orio.
Or maybe the rings decided to go out on me just as I replaced the head and chains? Seems improbable as well...

>Rebuilding and reinforcing the 7m is obviously the cheaper solution, however I have heard that even after doing all the right things (upgraded head gasket, oil pump, retorque head bolts etc) it can still be dodgy and not alot of fun with a 5500 rm redline

Where the fuck did you hear that? I hear the same thing again and again: put a metal headgasket on it and it's bulletproof.

youtube.com/watch?v=fSw0tZ3NwpM