How much have you spent on your car this year

how much have you spent on your car this year

Probably at least ~$6k fixing the fuckups of previous owners after buying one of these. Worth every cent for how good it is on twisty downhill runs though.
Unfortunately it can't really do uphill very well with 90hp, but that's something I plan to fix next year haha.

Lets not talk about it

Its an uncomfortable subject for most of us

I don't have a personal car and my parents fully pay for the fuel and insurance. I'm 28.

Too god damn much.
But at least its maintained

owned the car for 4 months
spent $1600 on various maintenence schedules and a replacement water pump and thermo.

when people say keep at least $1000 for repairs, make sure you have $3000 to spend on any whim if you buy a bmw

I started to tally it up then I remembered I spent like $250 on colored mirror caps and now I want to hang myself

I did some very rough calculations a little time ago, and in the one year and four months I've owned it I've spent over $9000 in just "modifications", as in lift kit, lights, audio system, tires and more

1600 dollars on junk car, my new one is 800 and has needed 400 in work.

so like 2800.
fuck

£288 on its MOT last month, only needed 2 new tyres. think i'll give it a full service in the new year just to keep on top of it, plus i don't actually have a service history for it so it's probably due one.

Nothing really, I've spent all my money on tools though.
I've spent prob 4-5k on tools in the last few months, still need to spend another 5k at least to be where I want.

5k ish in parts
1800 in tools
Not a dime on labor

What do u have? I'm the user from the other thread with the oem tools set off Amazon. I have an addiction with tools man I'm even considering shelling out the 3k for a lift

Most of that cost was my tig welder, but I've got a shit ton of tools really, no idea where to even begin listing them off.
I made a list of things I still need, I'm sure it's missing stuff but it's a start.

lectric die grinder
M18 Cordless angle grinder
M18 3/8 impact
M18 work light
M12 portable power
Band saw
Welding table
Box and pan brake
Chop saw
Plasma cutter
Tubing notcher
Bench vise
Bench grinder
Impact screwdriver bits and socket
Shrinker stretcher
English wheel

Tools are probably the best thing to spend money on if I'm gonna spend money on anything, they will eventually pay themselves off plus more, I feel no shame in spending money on them.

Sold my car in june. Have no car

Do u work out of your home?

$2k in regular maintenance, fucking air pump went out and that was a $500 part alone.

siqq mawdz is somewhere around the $7-$8k range, just need to swap in this new suspension and maybe get some better speakers and it'll be done.

What the fuck 500 dollar air pump? What do u have? I griped about paying 100 for mine for a Chevy 5.7

Yeah, used to have a shop I worked at but I quit that
Trying to build it back up

190E 2.6

the worst part is there was literally no reason for it to go out. the pulley somehow managed to jumped off it's track, seize up and turn the serp belt into spaghetti.

almost $4k
>ignition bits needed replacing
>replaced pads/rotors
>did a total of 5 track days which are $220 a pop
>paid a shop to replace the clutch/throwoutbearing/flywheel, dual mass flywheel is very expensive

What the fuck

You forgot to give the belt a sacrifice

Its not for no reason its calleded SERPENTine. They prefer electrical cables

Why didn't you just go get one from the junk yard for 15 bucks?
The pick b pull yard here has a good number of old Mercedes in it

Mine just seized up and died locking the pulley which shredded my belt

That's pretty rad man. Ive been thinking about going the mobile mechanic route or working out of home on the weekends. I'm active duty muhreen gettin out in 6 months to go be a sheriff. They work 4 12 hour days so plenty of free time to wrench. paid out of pocket/fafsa/tuition assistance to get my bachelor's and save my GI bill for an auto tech school since I'm just a hack with no actual training other than wrenching with more experienced people, reading books, maintianing my own car, a 6 month usmc electro optical school and occasionally being a helper bitch for diesel mechs and a part time at AutoZone. Did u go to a community college or a tech school?

>I'm just a hack with no actual training other than wrenching with more experienced people, reading books, maintianing my own car
That's exactly how you get good tho pham
And nah just been working on cars since I was a kid, nothing more than that, you'll learn hella faster going to school obviously and I see nothing wrong with that.

About $2k, and that includes insurance, gas and service costs

What he says is pretty much it

Every single source of information is worthwhile, and learning by doing is the best. Its all about first understanding the concept and construction of what you're working on, and sometimes you have to take it apart and see it for yourself to understand. As time goes on this process becomes more natural, you've seen different types and methods of construction, and you'll probably have more and better tools available

I'll have plenty of folks at work asking me if I can help with a brake job, replace some plugs, a gasket here and there because they know I'm capable of stuff like that. Then afterwards they'll say stuff like "Wow, I never knew stuff like that could be done so quickly", or "You must've done this many times, you're like a pro", while the truth is that I am a bumblefuck compared to an actual mechanic who does this for a living. A good example is my best buddy, who'll just attack any interior or body part he comes across without looking at the schematic and get the mounting points and unfastening methods right every single time

Yea the only issue is I wrench a naturally aspirated carbed v8 with no electronics other than a hei distributor a battery and a starter. So I'm basically useless in anything new

How is the 190
I was thinking of getting one

It's ok that's a good starting point, you'll learn fast when you just fuck with stuff hands on, I still get overwhelmed sometimes when I see a super cramped engine bay and think oh my god how am I going to take this all apart and remember how it goes back together, then next thing you know the job is done and everything went A Ok

I fixed majority of all the problems that the past ricers didn't fix, I cleaned up the interior, new shocks, new pads/rotors, new tires, coolant flush, oil change, fixed up the aftermarket radio, and wiped off the damn plasti-dip on the exterior and wheels.

Overall I probably spend maybe $500? Just on parts and stuff alone, not bad since I got the car for $800.

Dunno, probably around 400€ including insurance.

Project:
Valve Covers $40
Timing Gear $50
Junkyard V8 $600
DD:
Oil $40
Steering wheel cover $10
Rims and tires free
Paint $100

About $2,700

Around $150 because of a cracked head gasket.

Living in a shitty 3rd world country makes handy work relatively cheap.

On the two cars I’m concurrently playing with, probably roughly around $100,000 in down under dollars.

It’s not an amount I’m bragging about, thinking about it makes me feel physically fucking sick. It’s a dreadful hobby and thinking about the financial aspects makes me wish I never got bitten by the car bug as a little kid.

around 4000.
Got car at end of spring stored it at start of summer.
I used to make 7k a year and now past month make 9k.
Yes I spent every single cent I had on my car

Same exact thing but havent spent and fixed all of it yet except its a jetta instead.

~250 on blank rotors/ oem pads
~30 brake fluid
~50 brake bleeder
~80 on ford honey trans fluid
~10 diff fluid
~35x4 oil/filter
~80 at exhaust shop to weld in test pipe/ fix leak/massage hangers
~80 precision ballasted allignment
~25 ph balanced car soap
~50 wax & waxing supplies
~25 clay bar kit

~820 probably more im forgetting or not remembering correctly

I hope you’re proud of yourself

How? Even part-time burger flippers net 10 a year. WTF are you doing?

About 3K thus far.

>Car shelter
>1000$ Turdcel daily so I wouldn't have to daily my baby
>SHort shifter
>Shifter bushings
>X chassis brasing
>Front strut bar
>Baffled oil pan
>Oil cooler

I still need a good set of coilovers, RPF1s, roll bar, and an LSD.

FInally completed the shelter last night.

can you seal that so that mice rats spiders and other shit can't get in there and live?

nice m8 any winter project onnit?

You would if you got an oversized tarp to line the floor with.

That's my winter project although I'm gonna replace the lift bolts and baffled pan when it gets warmer so the gasket sealer can cure properly.

Probably about two or three hundred bucks, outside of petrol costs.

nice m8 thats what i was asking
wish there was a winter here so i could justify spending so much time on my shitbax
was the baffled oil pan a custom thing or aftermarket?

This is what it looks like from the outside so without a tarp on the bottom, rats can def get in

poison the little niggers

Naw bro, winter sucks big time for working on cars without a garage, you're always wet and cold, covered in soil, ect. Summer is the greatest, you could stay up all night and comfortably work on it.

Moroso sells the baffled pan and it's an absolute must on 1zz and 2zzs since they are prone to oil starvation issues since the oem pans don't have any baffles.

It's aight, I don't have a rat problem yet.

that is a fucking nice piece of kit bro
>oem pans don't have any baffle
oh shit then that is def a must
i always assumed that all oil pans were baffled to some extent
looks pristine m8

The 1ZZ pans were to an extent but not the 2ZZ ones.

They're not super important unless you'll be going through insane Gs at the track.

I just got one for peace of mind

Spent about 2,000 USD on a new big brake kit with steel lines. 2 months later the engine explodes.

10k down payment on 2017 GTI Sport. Another 850 USD on Michelin Pilot Super Sports because factory all-seasons did not match my driving.

New engine plan for my first car in the works. Will take time, sadly.

- 4x Tires --- $215 (shipped, mounted, balanced)
- Oil change --- $40 (on jackstands in the garage)
- Inner and outer shift turret boots + rings and bearings --- $60
- New K&N air filter pod --- $45
- New alternator + accessory belt --- $110
- Differential fluid change --- $8

That's it muhfukkas. Not bad for 232k miles (373k km).

$1k insurance
$500 repairs
~$500 gas
I own mr2 sw20 na