Thoughts on making the miata a performance car?

thoughts on making the miata a performance car?

On Veeky Forums it's a pretty even toss up between
>go for it, they're built fun
and
>it's a hair stylist fag car

Very possible since they're easy to modify. Drop a turbo in one and you should see significant gains already. It's light so any power you add really makes a difference.
Obligatory reminder to not forget to change brakes and other safety/handling things if you're gonna do this. Still has to be fun to drive/not a death trap.

It's possible, but you will be close to spending S2000 money. t.a miata owner

Extremely doable. Not the best bang for your buck acceleration but if you throw 4 grand at a Miata you can make it an amazing sports car. I've owned 3 and never even cared to add power mods. Suspension, brakes, weight reduction and rigidity make huge differences.

This one was "street stripped" and weighed in just over 2000lbs. One of my favorite cars because of the pure simplicity. Also the best possible mod for these is aways tires, best you can afford but direzza dz102's are really good

it weighs like 4 pounds and has a huge aftermarket

it's exclusively driven by gays and and straight furries though

I've seen one at the track and it was fast as hell. Pretty cool imo.

buy mine instead

delusional pricing
dunno if trolling

Turbo it, then sell it when you get bored and buy a c5 corvette or s2000

did you read the bottom part at all?

why are you selling. Did you even have the car a year?

Did you read the bottom part at all?

It's a great platform, go for it

>get early NA
>VVT swap to 1.9l
>ITB and full exhaust for 180hp naturaly aspirated
>Rotrex supercharger and full exhaust for 250hp forced
>light rims
>BC racing Suspension
Enjoy your sportscar for under 10k which performs on the level of a S2000/Cayman S

Go for it. Im turning my wrecked one into a straight track car. Stripped to hell, close to 2000lbs or under. Can't wait to finish it and take it to the track and drift events.

I have had it for exactly a year. Also I might be moving out soon and need a lil extra cash.

Do you live near fun roads?
Yes - go for it!
No - waste of money.

>level of a S2000

Isn't the S2000 like 180 hp when vtech isn't on which is almost all the time in regular driving? And its like 500 lbs heavier, so its basically like having a miata with the laggiest turbo ever.

Why not just get an s2000? It's much better

I would rather get an MRS 2zz swap or even k20 swap for a few more $$$ to make it a fucking beast

this

>not wanting to wrap around tree with ur waifu

>shit wrong thread

I don't know where you all live, but where I live a decent S2000 is 8k-9k. 10k and up for a good one. A clean 1.8 Miata can be had for 5k or less, and a direct drop in turbo kit is like 5k. A turbo kit could be pieced together for even cheaper. So for the price of an S2000, you can make 230whp, in a car that weighs about 400lbs less.

Making a Mk4 Golf a performance car would be better, especially with the Pumpe Düse engines because they can be easily modded. Put on some sport springs, do a ecu remap, cut up some wires so it smokes more, thicker tires, remove the rear seats and spare tire and boom, miata killer + it looks much better.

Okay now factor in the prices for everything else... ECU, tune, brakes, wider wheels, stickier tires, suspension, chasis stiffening, etc... The miata was not made to handle 230hp and will NOT perform well if all you do is bolt a turbo on and call it a day.

>FWD

>Superior grip in rain and snow

I wish children would leave this board.

Alright so lets call it a 10k budget, car an all.
I just looked at my local CL, found several promising miatas in the $3500 to $4500 range, lets call it 4k for the car. I have already personally pieced together a turbo kit for my Miata, it comes in at around $3500, leaving me $2500 to get all the other stuff sorted out. Ill admit, it wouldnt be the greatest build in the world, but for under 10k, it would easily outperform an S2000, which is the hypothetical goal. Pic related, my Miata.

ITBs or supercharger on VVT engine is the way to go on a Miata. You don’t want the turbo punch in such a light car because the tires still spool even in the 3th gear. Guess why Lotus uses N/A and supercharged engines.

Dogshit fwd

I wish they would so you could take your ass back to your fwd shitbox and drive to your wagie job.

you in the southern states by chance?
i miss my NA

I'm in Connecticut and here's the real ad.

You could always trailer it OR drive it back before it actually gets cold out.

>Isn't the S2000 like 180 hp when vtech isn't on
before vtec it's more like 100hp lol

you know, it always makes me wonder why it's mostly Veeky Forums that sucks mr2 dick, meanwhile it's pretty much forgotten everywhere else... what would be the reason i wonder, hmm

>Isn't the S2000 like 180 hp when vtech isn't on which is almost all the time in regular driving?
Do you need more than 180 hp for regular driving? Once you get into the powerband you stay there because you know how to downshift.

Yep, I agree 100%. An N/A miata will always feel better.

>driving anything with less than 400hp

I don’t see a problem, when you are racing you will always be in vtec anyway.......

The point was that a miata and s2000 are of similar performance despite the hp numbers. I suppose it depends on the miata tho.

What car do you drive, friend?

My roommate has a track built 1.6, big brakes, lightened flywheel, race clutch, bilstein coilovers, corner balanced. It rips, what a great car. Half the fun of a lotus at a fifth the price

I’m in progress of doing similar to a Puma, plan is to take it up to Racing Puma spec then plus a bit more. People have successfully supercharged them before, not much documentation but how hard can it be?

It’s not really about what I could have bought with the money, doing it is fun and watching the car evolve and figuring out the best ways forward are far better than buying a faster car that’s stock as far as I’m concerned.

>Superior grip
you mean pedestrian suspension tuned for understeer stock

9/10 times this is what people actually mean. you won't spin out, usually. because with winter tires and a bag of sand you aren't getting stuck anywhere unless your driven wheels are in the air.