911 Questions

Is the 911 as good as everyone says it is? I'm getting a new car in around 6 months and am considering buying one. There are so many trims that I'm overwhelmed...does the S provide enough performance difference for the price premium? What about the GTS or GT3? Used turbo?

What years to avoid? I'm thinking I'll just buy one either 2015 or newer. Anyone have experience with the new engines? How do they compare to the old ones?

I would just buy a Cayman but I really need the back seats. I do a lot of distance driving, have a small ish dog and a girlfriend. Would I be better served by just picking up an E63 AMG? I know I'll eventually buy a 911, it's just a matter of time. My budget is flexible but would prefer not to spend over $100k. I'll trade in a Range Rover which should be worth around $50k which puts me in used GT3 territory.

Other urls found in this thread:

rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/
youtu.be/nxfd8dQGe20
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Turbo has keyless entry, start and comfy suspension. Gt3 does not and is bumpy, which is why a lot like the turbo. The standard S is good for daily driving too, and has enough power.

>What about the GTS or GT3? Used turbo?

Those are all very different cars.

There's a part of me that doubts you're buying a 6 figure car and you are shitposting on Veeky Forums

>My budget is flexible but would prefer not to spend over $100k. I'll trade in a Range Rover which should be worth around $50k which puts me in used GT3 territory.

So you're trying to tell me you're going from a Range Rover to possibly a Porsche 911 GT3? Those are radically different cars.

>I would just buy a Cayman but I really need the back seats.
What back seats?

Bruh you are terrible at trolling. If this was real (it isn't) you'd be on rennlist asking these questions or talking to some Porsche rep.

And at the slight chance this is real, please go fuck yourself, since you really asked these dumb ass questions on this board.

I really do hate faggots like you, stop shitting up our board. Stop playing pretend. You will never own a 1st generation Boxster let alone a 911.

Ok scrap the GT3 then I suppose since it'll be my only car.

I suppose the question then is whether to go for a used turbo from last generation or a newer S from this generation. I'll keep the car for 4 years most likely and will drive the hell out of it. I'm not worried about maintenance/running costs but I am worried about it being in the shop all the time if I buy an older turbo. My current vehicle was built by
British monkeys (or maybe Indians, I don't know) and shit is breaking on it all the time even though it only has 30k miles on it. Anyone have any opinions or experience with last gen turbos and reliability?

Thanks for the help. Pic related is my last car.

Why would I be asking a Porsche rep these questions when they will say whatever they need to say to sell me the car they want to get rid of?

I just want one of the many Porsche autists lurking this board to come out of the wood work and tell me what to avoid in the bloated world of 911s.

>everyone on Veeky Forums works a minimum wage job like me ree

He, like most of Veeky Forums, is a poor 17-21 year old underachiever who gets offended that there are people in the world more wealthy and/or successful.

Bruh fucking Rennlist. Majority of us don't have money like that. I go on Rennlist to read about Porsches and I dont have one nor do I have the funds to buy one.

its 100x better than this shit hole. You might have money but you sure don't have common sense.

Poor? yeah Underachiever? No.

>offended that there are people in the world more wealthy and/or successful.

Def not that. OP's thread is pointless. While I understand this is Veeky Forums most people on this board have no clue what they are talking about and he couldve saved himself time by signing up on Rennlist and asking his dumb questions there.

The projection is unreal

The problem with manufacturer specific forums like that is that many members are so far down the rabbit hole they won't entertain alternatives. If there's a better car for the money, Porsche enthusiasts won't recommend it because they would be admitting that Porsche is not the second coming of Christ.

There are plenty of people who lurk Veeky Forums with 911s, new and old. I value their opinions more than Rennlisters who have their heads so far up Porsche's ass they wouldn't know if a better car came along.

he might be projecting but his assumption of me being poor is true, everything else he said about me is untrue

>Anyone have any opinions or experience with last gen turbos and reliability?

rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/

>The problem with manufacturer specific forums like that is that many members are so far down the rabbit hole they won't entertain alternatives.

You sound delusional.

>There are plenty of people who lurk Veeky Forums with 911s

no. not plenty. There are plenty of people here who own Hondas and Mazdas. there are a handful of people here who own Porsches. Majority of them are either boxster, cayman or 944 owners. 911 owners are even rarer.

Its full of normies tho

Sure there are, many just don't post their cars because they will get assaulted by buttblasted Veeky Forumstists.

>many just don't post their cars because they will get assaulted by buttblasted Veeky Forumstists.

No they don't post their cars because most people don't post their cars on here. And if anything Veeky Forums loves Porsches.

So...

You know 911s have back seats right? I mean you have been one in one right user?

Don't forget the posters who have Lambos and Ferraris.

>You know 911s have back seats right? I mean you have been one in one right user?

I have been in the back of my friends as well as driven his 997 911. I'd barely call that a backseat. At 6'0 160lbs I had to lay sideways to fit back there. You can only fit a small child back there.

911s sound like a wet fart though
get an r8 v10 or something

the post above is an example why you don't come to Veeky Forums for things of this nature

>Audi R8 V10 MSRP: From $162,900
>Porsche 911 MSRP: From $80,000

rennlist shill stop policing this thread thanks

suck my dick from the back

shoo shoo go away

SHO FLY DONT BOTHER ME
SHO FLY DONT BOTHER ME

981 GTS owner here.

I dont know of any years to avoid, but the newer engines, that are not GT3s, have turbos on them now I believe.

The S provides more than enough performance (I dont know how you would even use a GT3 unless you have unlimited money to track it weekly). The GTS provides the best bang for the buck with options.

I would really recommend Porsche, do not waste your time with anything else, they are that good.

Buying used: The thing you need to be comfortable with is the fact that the car has most likely been driven like a race car. I bought new because the biggest thing that scared me was the fact that I did not know whether the engine was broken in properly. Since my 981 is moderately expensive, I did not want to risk buying something that has been treated like shit and is now being dumped on me. I would be incredibly wary of used Porsches which have been demos or exec demos. They have been used at the tracks with 0 miles on them. The manual is quite clear about how bad this.

There are classifieds on Porsche Club of America where you can buy from an owner and hopefully gauge whether or not people tracked the car or not, and hope that they are honest. If you lurk Porsche forums, you will find a large number of people who completely blow off the engine break in period and meme "DRIVE IT LIKE U STOLE IT DAY 1". These people are generally rich and get new 911s or Caymans regularly, and therefore pass their shit onto someone else.

What about a 4C I am cross shopping them both and leaning towards the 4C because there is a Porsche in every other driveway in my area. I like to have something a little more unique

I would never recommend rennlist or planet9 to anyone, other than lurking. It is quite literally full of pretentious boomer faggots who get off on attacking people. If you ask any question about your car, you might get some help, but 100% of the time you get 2-3 fags who roll in and are like:

ARE U SERIOUSLY ASKING THIS? WHY NOT JUST GO PAY THE DEALER FOR NITROGEN AIR LOL

Its toxic af

>Jag
oh hey prajeet

>ctrl+F "Pelican parts"
>no matches
Come on, guys. They're like the top resource for any Porsche-related guides.

I cant speak about the 4C but Porsches are unique and their quality/reliability is impeccable. Something like 1 in 1000 cars are Porsche on the road, outside of your neighborhood.

>Porsches are unique
Yeah, they don't make that many.

I don't have personal experience but I've heard a lot that the 4C is completely undriveable as a daily, if you're the same user that wanted a daily porsche

depending on your budget one valid reason to get a GT3 is the sound

its unironically the best sounding car in the world

gt3 rs is too much and for track use

GT3 is the best of both worlds. Shmee150 has ordered one and you can listen to the sound there

GT3 RS sounds even better

Maybe add an Armytrix Exhaust to a GT3 to achieve similar sounds

GT3 RS with armytrix youtu.be/nxfd8dQGe20 ... Its just insane

timestamp for sound is 11:00+

>Armytrix Exhaust

I hate using this term but thats literally a meme exhuast.

Its an exhaust for tasteless youtubers who like disgustingly loud noise (not in the good way). Also that dude looks like an absolute munter.

>Shmee150 has ordered one

oh so you actually follow these munters.

fucking loser

Its for his dog you retard

suck my dick from the back faggot

JP is a german tuner. You can see how he installs the exhaust himself. Pretty cool guy.

I gave OP advice and told him where he can find recent reviews about his cars

a Turbo sounds different and that might be a deal breaker for him

GT3 is supercar with supercar ownership costs.

The 911S is enough for most people (carrera 4S if you’re in a cold climate and will drive it year round)

I don’t recommend the turbo for most people, unless they got enough money to buy it outright

OP. STRONGLY consider what you are buying for.

The 911 is more or less a track car and that means you will be spending money on features that you wont use and will actually make daily use annoying and uncomfortable.

The tight suspension is great on a track but gets really fucking old fast. The minimal sound dampening gets old really fast. The wider wheel base costs more on the more expesnive 911s but you aren't tracking the car so you wont even notice the performance improvement. The qol features in the car are minimal to reduce weight etc. etc.

Porsche realize that the 911 isn't good for a grand touring car. (distance driver). They made the Panamera for this market. Its fast and sporty but tuned to drive comfortably on the autobahn without vibrating or destroying your back on bumps. Its comfy and quiet on the insisde even at 100 mph where it is used regularly in the German market and needless to say you wont even have to test it at that speed.

If you get a 911 you have no reason to get anything higher than the base trim. True porsche fags will be disgusted by you for not tracking it (jealous too).

You could go for a 996/997 gen as well as they are cheaper so you wont be foolish throwing thousands of miles on it because you didnt put that much into it and still got the 911 experience. (Porsche club track fags like the 996/7 (cheap relatively easy to fix but great performance ont he track).

Unless you really want a Porsche, which is totally fine and you should get one if you do, you sould also consider an Audi S6. The best grand touring car around. You can APR tune it to 540 hp for about $1000. Tranny is perfect. Interior is best in the business right now, super comfortable on the highway and it has the meme schocks you can ride super smooth on the high way, and if you are feeling like having fun push a button and make them pretty darn tight.

I have driven/owned
Audi S6
Porsche 911 996

Absolute retard post. Didn't make it past the 3rd sentence. You've very clearly never driven a single car you mentioned in your post.

wew

Buy the gt3 and daily it!!!

>track
>not being japanese chad driving ur madmanmobile to max on wangan

996 N/A cars, ims bearing failures is all I can think of on modern 911s, good luck user just shop around a bit and drive a few. Best deals right now are on the 996 turbo cars but a 991 or 997 makes a good daily if you want to look like a guys who's too big of a dick to drive a BMW lol.

Don't buy into the GT3 meme. The current bull market won't last forever and the last thing you want to be doing is buying high and feeling gutted at the value dropping.

Also if you're not particularly interested in doing track days, the need to rev them out to get any real performance would be pretty frustrating on the public road. For example one of the chief issues with the GT4 is the high gearing. On canyon roads it's just not geared correctly.

If I was in your position, and if you have the budget, I'd go for a 997.2 (gen 2) turbo S. PDK if it's for a short term ownership and a manual if long term. The 997.2 isn't as wide as the current 991 turbo s and therefore easier to place on the public road. It also covers ground like nothing else in it's price range. The mid range torque is insane. So for everyday driving and quick squirts of power it's miles better than the GT3. Should also be a good investment if you find a manual as it's the last of the turbos to use the Megzer engine.

It also comes with the sexy AF centre lock wheels.

>Pic related

Agree with this guy, get the GTS model. Good in between of GT3 and Base models. Also, get the manual. :)

Also, you should cross shop its competitors.

I know you said you had an F-Type before, and are looking at the 4C. Look into the AMG GT as well (they start at low 100's). Test drive all of them before you make your decision!

07 Cayman S owner here. As I've never owned a 911(though it is my ultimate goal) I can't help you too much with 911s but I know quite a bit about the Cayman.

What I do know about the 911 to answer a few of your questions are:

>the back seats are a meme
>the performance of any non-carrera trim modern 911 absolutely destroys the cayman
>much more luxurious

That said, I'm a college student and the cayman is more than enough for me.
>I only need 2 seats
>I get two trunks
>I can't stress how much space there is in this car to put stuff
>to any untrained eye(and in college, there are many), I drive a 911.
>I work an on-campus job as well as do freelance website design and social media marketing, and two of my 7 clients pay my car payment and insurance, so money is certainly not an issue
>In the 7 months I've owned the car I've put on 8k miles(3.2k of which were driving the car back from the dealer in Seattle to Florida) and have had absolutely zero problems.
>Servicing the car is relatively inexpensive, much less than I thought I'd get
>with all of this, I still get the same, if not a little less "street cred" as I would driving a 911.
>Car has been tuned, makes 350 hp which is pretty cool and more than enough
>My last car was a 98 camry(the definiton of a shitbox) and I get better gas mileage in a 10 y/o sportscar

As for a new cayman:

>get one with a warranty
>modifications are fairly inexpensive
>GET A GLASS ENGINE COVER. IT LOOKS AMAZING.
>More than roomy enough in the cabin for the dog to be at your gf's feet, or on her lap
>911 does certainly perform better, but it's not so much better that if you aren't taking it to the track that you'll be missing much.

Hope I answered your questions, if you have any others lmk

Yes.

Buy a 996 Turbo if you want to sell it for double what you paid for it in 5 years. They are going to the moon.

>double
>"to the moon"

nocoiner detected

My uncle has a 997.1 Carrera S and from what I've heard it's been a very reliable car so far. He got one with the carbon-ceramic brakes and so far he say's that's been the most expensive thing maintenance-wise, but it makes a huge difference in braking. Make sure you get a PPI for any Porsche done by either a dealer or a good porsche shop, they can save you a lot of money. Tires are also a consideration to make, I think the rears on this carrera s are 305s or thereabouts, so replacing tires is gonna be expensive, especially if you go for Michelins. The car is reasonably comfy on the road (I live in a pothole-ridden country), but as with any sports car you got to watch out for bumps and potholes. It pulls very nicely on the highway, sounds great at any rpm, and can be quiet enough for long distances. The backseats really are there just for children, but you can use them as a parcel shelf in a pinch. They should be fine for a small to medium size dog, if you don't mind getting them dirty.
The car has held it's value reasonably well, and in my opinion it's a good bargain for the performance/luxury you get.

posting best porsche

>tfw I remember these being below £200k

I don't get these people. Are they for real? How can somebody be that tasteless and confused about what they might be into?

You say the 911 performs better but like you said with a tune and the mid engine the Cayman should corner/perform better No? And they are cheaper. I've been getting more and more interested in porches lately not that I know shit or anywhere near owning one yet. I'm a poor gay as previously stated in this thread but they really aren't unrealistic in the future. I'll stick to my dirt bikes and beat up old farm truck and start saving. Just sucks cuz Florida really isn't the best place to drive no fun canyon twisties.

Oh and this is going to sound ignorant of me but they do make standard transmissions of the Cayman don't they? It's just I've never been in one that does and hardly any modern cars are these days which is a bit of a deal breaker to me.

>they do make standard transmissions of the Cayman don't they?
Yes, manual is standard, PDK is an option.
And if you're looking at pre-facelift 987 (first gen) Caymans, the auto option was a tiptronic that massively lets the rest of the car down, not the PDK.

seconded. The pre-PDK auto Porshce used is GARBAGE.

I test drove almost everything before I bought pic related. (2014 991C2S) Porsche is the best bang for the buck, to get a better car you have to step up to the Ferrari, and drop 2-3x the price.

The GTR is too heavy, so are the BMWs/Mercs, Aston\Jag feels ancient, Model S is bland, Lambo is too basic for the price, McClaren insurance is too expensive, etc.

Get the T