I8 Roadster

I don't think my dick can get any harder. Also general LA Auto show discussion.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=l8A1OyhlNrM
autoweek.com/article/los-angeles-auto-show/2018-mazda-6-signature-gets-250-hp-turbo-motor-and-upscale-touches
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

youtube.com/watch?v=l8A1OyhlNrM

I just hope this refresh softens the already soft used market for these. I wouldn't mind picking up a cherry 2015 in the 70s in mid-2018.

Thoughts on the new Mazda6?

>live in LA
>wasn't during my thanksgiving break like last year
>back in school out of state and missing it

God damn it

Something I've wondered, is the i8 basically a direct competitor to the new NSX? They're both hybrids and their cost is similar.

The i8 doesn't compete with anything off the top of my head. Its a sporty hybrid sure, but its like a tech geek car more than a sports car.

i8 is slower than a 2008 caddy sedan...

Could have sworn I saw one of these the other night in Houston. It was a BMW for sure and the doors opened up weird

250HP 2.5T, looks good to me man

autoweek.com/article/los-angeles-auto-show/2018-mazda-6-signature-gets-250-hp-turbo-motor-and-upscale-touches

It's a niche car. Honestly I've been in one and my friend who owns one uses launch control and it's still pretty slow for a $130k+ car. I mean a 40k pony car would smoke it. The interior is also bland and not very upscale. An entry level Porsche would virtually be better in every regard. It's stupendously good looks save it but it's definitely more of BMW's attempt at the hybrid sport car market and it's a unique car.

oh yeah, 310 lb/ft of torque too, nice

Its pretty cool imo. I love the Mazda styling they have going, and whatever they do with the paint to give it that faux matte appearance at a distance really makes them look gorgeous in the light.
The climate controls look well done. The interior looks clean. If the emblem on the steering wheel were more subtle it'd have an incredibly well designed conservative aesthetic over all.
Shit like the 360 degree camera is neat too, but everyone is starting to incorporate that.

I'm interested to see what kind of fuel economy they get out of the 250hp turbo engine. Its a big step up from the 184hp current model.
As tame as they are Mazda is one of the only brands I get excited about.

I don't think the i8 was intended to compete with the NSX, they have a lot of similarities, and I'm sure the thought crossed some engineer's minds though.
The i8 is a flagship tech car to show that BMW can in fact into EV/hybrids. If they wanted to make it a real super car competitor they could have used a slightly bigger displacement engine, given it fatter tires for more grip, and tweaked it a bit to make it more performance oriented. As it is its a quick to accelerate techy daily driver for people with disposable income.

I'm probably the only person here that's actually ordered an i8. I've taken delivery and the vehicle is staggering. 99% of the critical rhetoric on this page is your typical, garden variety ignorance spawn from uneducated individuals incapable of embracing intelligent technology. People feel threatened by quickly changing vehicular climate - from IC to plugin hybrid, they're finding it difficult to embrace a changing industry, I resisted until I understood the benefits of aforementioned technology. People are drawing false conclusions, making sweeping generalizations and reinforcing their own confirmation biases without actually engaging in any critical or objective thought. Oil isn't going to last forever, if legislation controlling efficiency had never been introduced, car manufacturers would still be producing the same old technology. Technology changes, instead of throwing down a blanket of hatred for it, backed by ignorance, try to understand that leveraging electric motors with IC engines yields a net result greater than IC alone. Anyway, you clearly have no idea what your talking about when it comes to performance or hybrid vehicle ownership. Its obvious you've never owned a BMW, I've had three. By the way, 152hp per liter is high but it's not a number that isn't much higher than an stock E90 335is @ 111.6hp per liter which is intended to be a daily driver (keep in mind many owners reliably boost the output to well over 400hp (133hp+/L), the number of cylinders is arbitrary which obviously demonstrates how little you know about vehicles in general.

Had to google this. I knew it was too baity to be true. Kek

>whatever they do with the paint to give it that faux matte appearance at a distance really makes them look gorgeous in the light.
It's called massive amounts of orangepeel to hide all the panel fit mismatches and paint problems, every Japanese manufacturer does it and no it does not look good

The i8 is a BMW badged Prius with an extreme body kit. It's deceptively slow.

Yeah I've never seen one that looked like that.

>>whatever they do with the paint to give it that faux matte appearance at a distance really makes them look gorgeous in the light.
>It's called massive amounts of orangepeel to hide all the panel fit mismatches and paint problems, every Japanese manufacturer does it and no it does not look good

t. retard

Lol I love roadsters a lot but I'd rather have a top up if the Car sounds as bad as the i8

Every single one looks like that. You just haven't looked closely. They know what they are doing, orangepeel can be used strategically to hide a lot, they have to do it when they have urethane bumpers, aluminum hoods, steel unibodies all being painted at different times in different places then fit on the line, if the paint quality was actually good you would see all sorts of fitment issues. It looks "faux matte" at distance because it isn't reflecting very much light back to your eyes, as it's loaded with orangepeel.

Idgaf, most sedans look exactly the same anyways. I'd really like to see that 2.5 skyactive put in the nd as a new mazdaspeed Miata or something

Yesterday Subaru showed off their new Ascent. Built on a new platform and sporting an all new 2.4L turbo engine built specifically for the vehicle. It touts 260hp, 277ft.lbs@2000rpm, 5000lbs towing capacity, 8.7 inches of ground clearance, and it seats up to 8. It has an enormous 52 inch moon roof, and tons of cargo volume.
Comes with all of their new electronic safety features standard.
Its slated to be priced in the low $30,000s.

You've clearly not seen the new red paint if you call it "orange peel".

how much does this fat piece of shit weigh

The 2018 Wrangler has a few changes made, maybe this one won't be as much of a death trap in an accident. Or maybe it'll be worse.
Jeep claims the use of high tensile steel has lightened the frame by 100lbs. The doors are lighter as well. Over all the vehicle is as much as 200lbs lighter than the previous model year.
They now have the option for an 8.4 inch touch screen, LED headlights, and other industry standard electronics are being touted.
Approach and departure angles are improved by a few degrees each. The high end Rubicon trim gets Dana 44 axles, improved suspension, including new shocks.
The differentials blah blah its a fucking Wrangler. Still using the same Pentastar.

>the new red color!
Hey dipshit: they use the exact same paint process for every color. The quality is horrid. All modern cars have some degree of orangepeel, Mazda is just particularly bad.

>we lightened it by making the steel thinner
>now it will rust through twice as fast!
>good thing all of our customers are dumb cunts!

>still using the same Pentastar

Too bad most faggots don't buy it with the proper engine.

To address the growing segment Lexus unveiled their own 3rd row seating SUV/Cross over/mom crawler thing. Its called the RX L.
I don't really give a shit about this one.

i want it

>those fucking front seats
>with those head rests

Jesus Christ was this car designed for humans???

Nissan made this thing for BRs. Not BRZs, but Brazilians. Its called the Kick. Its supposed to be priced well under $19,000.
Powered by a 1.6L i4 toot cube it boasts 125hp and 115torx. It only comes with a CVT transmission, so no hektik downshifts for you BR mountain road racers. Looks like you'll be dying in an automatic.

Only two of Mazda's colours use the new painting technique and it does not look like orange peel. The first car to use it is the 2017 CX-5.

ooh that looks comfy

>wasting R&D money on cars for brazillions

lol no wonder Nissan is in the shitter, what a bunch of reckless assholes

So only 2 colors on a newly released car use this process, yet you have examined the car in person and determined it's of higher quality than all their other colors? They made an orangepeel free paint job on a $24k car while other manufacturers are selling $150k cars loaded with orangepeel? Nope. Use some common sense. There isn't a car on the market today under $200k that has good quality paint. Anything under $30k is an absolute atrocity. It's cost prohibitive to do it with waterborne color and clear, every panel has to be painted at the same factory on the same day and it needs to have hand attention to the paint afterwards, no brand can afford to do this anymore outside of low production halo cars.

Hyundai has this thing coming out. Its called the Kona. Its a competitor to Mazda's CX-3.

It comes with a 2L i4 making 147hp and 132ft.lbs, which is a bit lacking compared to other similar vehicles on the market. Alternatively a 1.6L turbo engine is available which makes 175hp and 195ft.lbs. EPA mileage is 30mpg and 29mpg respectively for FWD models.
The vehicle will be host for all of Hyundai's new safety features like forward collision avoidance and that sort of homo shit.

I think they're going to be launching a hybrid variant of this in either 2019 or 2020.

If I see "I4" in one more of these fucking "crossovers" I'm going to puke.

Holy fucking SHIT, a vehicle that size MUST have at least a 6 cylinder engine. I4 is only acceptable in compact cars.

They also have a new Veloster, well updated.
The 1.6L i4 makes 201hp and 195 wheel spinners. Somewhat interestingly peak torque is made at 1500rpm. It will come mated to a 7 speed DCT gear box, and a 6 speed manual will be optional.

How the fuck does that even work? The larger crossover gets a larger, gutless I4 and the shitty hairdresser car gets a more powerful, smaller engine.

Hyundai you fucking niggers what is your game even

>4.4 secs 0-60
>slow

There's no need for you go get your pants in a knot. The other guy said he likes the way the new paint look and you started talking about an entirely different paint.

pigfat

The Buick LaCross is getting an Avenir badge placed next to its name.
It has some new style elements, but instead of 2.5L i4 it has a 310hp V6 under the hood.

Buick has been doing well as of late, apparently, execs stated that 9/10 buyers are picking top trim levels. So they made this. Seems alright. Though if you ask me the front clip looks like a car's retarded brother mashed its face into saran wrap.

Dat huge tablet
Nips can't into good interior design

My grand-aunt bought a new buick. nice car.

all that sheet metal and just a turbo 4 pot? I don't expect them to have a long engine life.

The "other guy" has not seen the paint in person.
>"you're mad that I like the look of the paint of a car in press photos on the internet"
Yep, you caught me, I'm so upset!

This. I want to know the curb weight of that fucker, especially with 3 rows of seats and passengers. I bet that thing is pushing 4,500-5,000lbs. With an over-stressed turbo 4 cylinder, the engine is going to be a ticking timebomb.

Especially when you consider Subaru's absolute SHIT track record for making a reliable engine.

My FJ weights about 4,400lbs and has 260hp, but it comes from a 4.0L V6 that is severely under-worked. I really don't even know what the market would be for that giant Subie shitbox, people buying something that large are just getting a Pathfinder/Expedition.

>The "other guy" has not seen the paint in person.
Quote the post where he said he hadn't for me, will you? I seem to have missed it.

It's not like these cars aren't on the road or some shit. I'm assuming you don't live so far into the boonies that there isn't a dealer within driving distance.

Porsche had quite a bit new.
A Hybrid Panamera, 911 Carrera T, tweaked 718 Boxster, and a 718 Cayman GTS.
Not sure whats up with that flat 4 getting a GTS badge. I'll have to look more into it. The Caymen S was already impressive enough for what it was, getting 350hp out of its turbo flat 4, and having handling to match its namesake predecessor.

Apparently with PDK and sport chrono the GTS is a hair faster than the 718 Cayman S.

Man, it's really too bad the first guy disappeared, only to be replaced by a totally different guy desperately trying to defend him. Come on man, you're embarrassing yourself. It's ok, you got caught up in some press pictures and got a bit too excited, that's ok, you're anonymous, no reason to try and save face anymore. You're not going to find a good paint job on a Mazda in 2017, it's simply not economically possible, a really special new color will change nothing.

More like Gayman.

Nissan makes a new crossover called the Kicks. It's going to replace the Juke

>FWD only, no manual
>CVT auto only
>120-ish horsepower
>but look at this kewl speaker system we put in!

HOW THE HELL DID THEY MAKE THE JUKE'S REPLACEMENT WORSE IN EVERY SINGLE WAY?
It's less powerful
It does not have an AWD option like the Juke had
It does not have a manual option like the Juke had
The only thing that was improved was the styling, but sweet holy jesus WHAT IS NISSAN DOING?

I'm the guy dumping shit from the autoshow. I'm the one that said I liked the way Mazda's paint looks.
A couple of my neighbors have Mazdas, a CX-3 and the big CX-9. I haven't gotten my face right down to the paint but I've eyeballed them from a couple feet away.

The new paint job costs an extra 600 bucks. It's not the same thing. But hey, do scroll up and point me to the post where anyone in this chain of posts where anyone other than you said that they hadn't seen the paint in person.

I've physically been inside of two cars with the soul red crystal paint. Put your cards on the table or fuck off.

>more disappointing offerings from the up-and-coming worst brand of the decade

I dare say they're giving KIA a run for their money when it comes to producing meaningless, tasteless, shitbox cars.

Nissan and all of its employees can just die and go straight to hell at this point. Literally nothing they make is worth owning anymore.

Do KIA's cars have fucking bug-eyed headlights like modern Nissan's do?

Yes.

And don't forget pic related, this fucking garbage is unforgivable.

seriously, my dick is diamonds right now. such a fucking great design. it's such a fucking great design actually, that I saw one in chrome wrap going down I-85 and I didn't think 'what heresy' more like 'what a fucking good use of chrome

Aside from Porsche BMW also had a healthy showing. New model year M3, M5, a sport version of that i3 fagbox. They showed off a concept platform that they intend to work design language from into their cars in years to come. Mazda did the same thing with their concept car they displayed.

Unfortunately none of what BMW showed had cool styling to match that Z4 Roadster they recently debuted. Oh well.

It was pretty typical fair from both BMW and Merc.

Nips confirmed that amerimutts want a CHEAP crossover/SUV and don't care if it has AWD or not.

Diamonds are forever.

Are you saying your dick is immortal?

>amerimutts

>I've glanced at them, I'm practically an expert, although I didn't even know what the term orange peel meant until this thread
I work in the industry, I am intimately familiar with the paint processes used by every single brand from every aspect from the supply chain, timing, assembly, and processes both machine and hand. "I saw it and I like it" could not be more meaningless. You don't have a critical eye or the knowledge to understand what you are looking at. You are the moron that finances a $30k Mazda shitbox because of the "cool red color." Try to actually look at the paint the next time you have 20 seconds to do so at an auto show. Look at the reflection of the overhead lights in the paint. Now that you have a tiny .001%idea of what modern manufacturers do I guarantee your perspective will change.

>BMW
>design language

>literally producing the same looking cars for 20 years now

k then

I really, really like that animated image. Mind if I save it?

Mercedes showed off this new CLS. Something about this bothered me the second I saw it, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Now that I'm good and drunk I know what it is.
The slope of the hood and the rear deck is reminiscent of the Marlboro camel's nose.

For upcoming model years Mercedes has decided to style cars specifically for the Arab market.

go ahead and save it.

that and the greenhouse is fucking tiny

reminds you of a giant flaccid schlong perched on your shoulder

I think it looks alright. Not amazing as 1st gen.
Wait for an AMG version or AMG GT, which is based on it, but a different shape.

wew

you really think that looks good?

But have you actually seen the paint in question?

Well, I like its interior.

The bright color and silver rims will do a trick. they looks good on them.
dull cuz of the color and black rims will not work well.

good points! I see it.

desu, the engines are more interesting than the cars this year
>infiniti VCT
>Merc Inline Six
>Mazda 2.5T
>Subaru FA24DIT

Fancy Ford has this new mom mobile called the Nautilus. Its replacing the MKX. I don't know why they named it after a an overgrown clam. Maybe it says something about the drivers.

It what is becoming an alarming segment of all new cars, this cross over sports mall van isn't doing much to separate itself from the copious competition. It comes in either a turbo i4 or a turbo V6 in typical Fancy Ford Fashion. Has some new 8 speed auto.

They've got a new model year MKC too. Fuck you if you want to know the difference between them.

Looks like a crossover.

VCT is somewhat interesting.
It can run at a 14:1 ratio, which is what current gen Skyactiv gas engines hit for lean efficient burn, or it can run at 8:1 to make more power. It can switch on the fly.
Peak power output in the QX50 cross over is 268hp and 280torx. Fuel economy is a reported 27mpg mated to a CVT transmission.

The styling on this isn't terrible, but the enormous grill emblem is gaudy. I can't say I like the interior at all.

Really the whole theme of the show was direct injection efficient i4s, i4s with turbos, efficient transmissions, electronic safety features, and buy a cross over or go fuck yourself.

>NO MANUEL
Thanks, Trump.

>>The report said that the engine is still skyactiv G

If they use skyactiv X I think they have a good chance reach 280hp with even higher torque

2.4L Turbo huh? Is it diesel?

wtf the rear passenger are almost lying down.

Not sure how much more powerful the next gen Skyactiv would be, but it should be more efficient.
The 2.0L is getting bumped to 190hp and in the Mazda 3 pulls just under 40mpg in real world driving according to the 3rd parties who test drove it.
I would imagine the 2.5L would be every bit as impressive. A 250hp engine in a real human sized car, not a chassis like those tiny euro cars, having fuel economy of 40mpg or better, that would be like the holy grail for commuter cars. They're extremely close to it.

They need to combine this with Koenigsegg's FreeValve tech so they can have a camless engine. Having direct control over port timing should let them better control temps when fuel is injected. They'd be able to extrapolate more thermal efficiency.

>the 2.5T gets a six-speed auto exclusively
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I thought mazda was cool

Autos are getting better at shifting than humans could possibly be. You can put it in sport mode and run through the gears at your leisure if you want.

>Autos are getting better at shifting than humans could possibly be
The street is no race track, boyracer, I don't care if the computer can do it better.
It's more fun and engaging doing it myself with a regular transmission
Do you let Tyrone fuck your girlfriend because he can do it better than you, too? You can take her afterwards and run through her gears at your leisure if you want
Seems like I have to get something like a Focus ST Wagon if I want a powerful wagon with manual transmission

You can't even be coherent, you're the boy racer wannabe here.
Modern autos are going to get better gas mileage, they're going to shift better than you. If you want to be less efficient put it in the sport mode and shift all you want. They still have that option for you autistics.

>You can't even be coherent, you're the boy racer wannabe here.
Why?
perfect shifts matter on the track, I don't need to get around as fast as possible on the street, I want to have the most fun

>I don't even understand how cars work: The Post
Yeah, keep on going.
Sport mode exists for retards like you that literally don't understand why transmissions even exist.

Not him but just having control of the shifts is only part of the appeal of a manual, the involvement of in the driving is important and it's something only a manual car with a manual clutch can offer.

Some people don't like being too passive behind the wheel.

>bland interior
What is an interesting interior to you then?
Imo the i8 looks great but is too expensive and fuck bmw for not giving us a high performance 6 cylinder or v8 i8 yet

I present you my opinion in ase you want to know some user thoughts.

>crossovers
I was mad at first like Veeky Forums, but now i'm really considering a crossover. I like my shitox, but what i really do need - is ground clearance, road ARE shitty here. Seriously, Veeky Forums, Suzuki SX4 seems like my next car.

>new engines
Interdasting, but
>VCT
I guess it'll be heavier than usual 2liter 4-banger, and Nissan would like to downscale something to counter that. Reliability isuues incoming?
>Skyactiv tarbo
I'm more interestd in will they refine 2,0 (manuel option here where i live) or just dump it?
>Subaru FA24DIT
It literally tells you FAGGIT, idk what does anyone expect. Somehow, the new breed engines suffer crankshaft insert failture - the tale i have heard so often i'm scared enough not to be interested in any kind of new Subaru. (test-drove a XV btw, too high)

Fat ones I suspect. My mazda 3 has a similar situation, but since I can just take the headrests out and put them in backwards its not a problem for me.

You're an insufferable faggot.