/arena/ - Arena FPS General

Too lazy to fix the links edition

A place to discuss all of your favorite oldschool and modern arena shooters such as Quake Live, Quake Champions, Unreal Tournament, Reflex, etc.

Play Quakeworld for free: nquake.com/
Play Quake 2 for free: q2s.tastyspleen.net/
Play Unreal Tournament 4 for free: epicgames.com/unrealtournament/
Play Warsow for free: warsow.net/
CPMA DEZ Installer (comes with maps and doesn't require base Quake 3, make sure to save configs as my.cfg and not autoexec.cfg): drive.google.com/open?id=0B0wfFzzjvCheTVVzSmdnQ1BLUms
Xonotic: xonotic.org/
Link to Quake 2 Starter with Quake 2 and its expansions: mega.nz/#!EAxAlSwa!9v0PQ7QgN60mXDptMqWXvdAC2srSCnb7pGPqZojG2QI
sourceforge.net/projects/voretournament/

Quake Champions closed beta signup: quake.bethesda.net/en/signup
QC beta is now 24/7. The beta is no longer under NDA.
UT4 Patch Notes: [YouTube] May 2017 Patch Notes (embed)
Duel Tutorials and Tips: [YouTube] KovaaK teaches QuakeWorld mechanics - Episode 1 (embed)
[YouTube] Unreal Tournament - Duel Tutorial (embed)
[YouTube] Reflex Duel Guide - 1. Introduction (embed)
[YouTube] Quake Duel Theory by DDK (embed)
[YouTube] QuakeLive Plays #10 - A brief talk about Analysis (embed)

Slipgate to the previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pLmuRRm1Bag&list=PLxP7tvMqaXzDjw7OYYIEbplCdZOaHLFPg
youtube.com/watch?v=f8CP1oSy_-o
youtube.com/watch?v=QRe3g65S4Zs&list=PLgbx1wWCtM2DYy26yCLbtY6A0XRiSEM3u&index=1
youtube.com/watch?v=n2tdDZWSGy4
youtube.com/watch?v=dkED2PSrl1c
youtu.be/f2to9Pb0DOM
pastebin.com/NzQifF9b
youtube.com/watch?v=2GUf6Ce8uxA
youtube.com/watch?v=-IovXx7FsQw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ah, damn. I realized how easy it'd be now.
youtube.com/watch?v=pLmuRRm1Bag&list=PLxP7tvMqaXzDjw7OYYIEbplCdZOaHLFPg
youtube.com/watch?v=f8CP1oSy_-o
youtube.com/watch?v=QRe3g65S4Zs&list=PLgbx1wWCtM2DYy26yCLbtY6A0XRiSEM3u&index=1
youtube.com/watch?v=n2tdDZWSGy4
youtube.com/watch?v=dkED2PSrl1c
For next time.

I can repost it here. I do like more interesting discussions in /arena/ if possible.
Thorn had a really nice video on why quake isn't succeeding. youtu.be/f2to9Pb0DOM
I think it doesn't quite hammer on the features quakes would need to be successful again though. And it brings up CS as an example of a less punishing game. It completely ignores that player perception and reality is completely different and that's where I think the real issue lies. Because in modern Quake-likes we don't have matches between the best players in the game and someone new. They're not that far apart usually. What's so crushing in these games is how a small advantage is giving you a very large lead perceptively (a truly unbalanced game in CPMA/reflex has frag differences of 20+). What quake games would need to try to do to actually make players feel good in the short term is teach them to take minor victories.

If a ranking system could predict the relative score of the players you could tell a player "hey, you lost, but we expected you to lose [this] bad and you only lost [this] bad, clearly you're better than we think/you're learning, keep going". As it is now you might be facing a fairly evenly matched player and score 2-12. Which would be a pretty even game most likely. But that's not the view you get if you don't know these games.

QC doesn't do this. It relies entirely on MM making players feel ok. It's a fools errand because it's well known that people experience double negatives to every positive. We're risk averse. An even scoreline will be perceived as positive I'm assuming.
You're balancing on a needle with having MM decide this stuff. You need to teach players correct attitudes.

NA qualifiers: ghetto setup with commentators broadcasting straight outta their basement with shitty video and audio quality.
EU qualifier: professional studio setup with professional casters sitting side by side.

They do need to put effort into the NA scene. Lots of esport grows from EU but NA is needed to sustain it.

Make like a bro and eat my balls

thorin doesnt even play he just watches tourneys

Yeah. But he's an experienced insight on esports. Which is one of the ways Bethesda aims to market this game clearly.

watching lots of people play doesn't really make you experienced
CS is more punishing than quake at a high level anyways since you have to sit out a round for 10 mins if you make a small mistake

>CS is more punishing than quake at a high level anyways since you have to sit out a round for 10 mins if you make a small mistake
If you make a small mistake in Quake (telefrag)
You have to dodge your enemies for a long ass time.
If you really think CS is more punishing than Quake you're silly. You get next to a full reset every round. If you're facing a better player in Quake you might never get on even footing again in that match.

telefrag is not a small mistake
small mistake would be getting railed from a long way. you can still escape and engage in a good position.
in cs if you get caught in the open for a second you die immediately

>telefrag is not a small mistake
You can stand 1 unit further away to the exit and not get fragged.
Perhaps you'd rather have a failed RJ as a small mistake?
It doesn't matter. There's mistakes that get you fragged. If you get fragged you're OOC. It's massive.

god you're stupid stop camping the teleporter exit

user have you played these games?
Pro players in duel get telefragged. It happens.
Also when you do camp the exit is the moment you're least likely to get telefragged if you're in proximity of the exit because that's when you're meticulous about where you stand.

I think one of the reasons QC is having trouble is trying to market it as an accessible skill-based e-sports alternative to OW/CS or any other competitive shooter. There are dudes have done nothing but play Quake since the game came out no matter how hard you try these guys will always dominate the game. So its hard to say "Come play Quake where you skill and hard-work is rewarded" when there are dudes who have already put in that hard work and will constantly ass-rape you till you git gud or quit.
MM is a terrible way for people to get into Quake one match against a Quake-Dad will make most want to quit (I say this as a perpetual shitter who has never gotten gud but still love Quake and afps). To avoid this having a server browser would help, I remember in old QL before steam, servers would be ranked by the average elo of the players who frequented it and compared that to your elo giving you an idea of what to expect from the matches you would play on each server.

>MM is a terrible way for people to get into Quake one match against a Quake-Dad will make most want to quit (I say this as a perpetual shitter who has never gotten gud but still love Quake and afps).
But you don't get matched against quakedads. Have you played QC? Or even Reflex? It works even at small playercounts like Reflex.

Reflex matchmaking doesnt work at all unless you think spending an hour in MM queue is good matchmaking

Not my experience. I get games within 5 minutes and it keeps matching me against the same player as long as we have even matches or there's multiple similar players.

EU Qualifiers: Official game BGM during breaks
NA Qualifiers: Shitty techno vocal trance untz wub wub garbage

>not muting the stream and listening to you own music

>hating on techno and trance

Don't forget UT4 today at 3PM PDT (so yurocucks can join)

>Unreal Game Manager
>Bethesda Game Launcher
How many of this shit do I need to install to play a pre-pre-alpha fps with 3 characters and 3 maps.

All I know for ut4 is that it may come to steam eventually.

You are still the biggest fucking fag, OP
We have a Pastebin to fix this shit.
pastebin.com/NzQifF9b
Quake, or afps in general, will probably never really got popular again because:
>times change, people enjoy different genres
>the amount of skill required to get good at Quake and get that satisfaction doesn't take too long, but its too long for people that love the instant gratification of shit like in modern FPS games
>your entire post and video
It's different now. Unless some big series or company pushes out some brand new afps that's good, this won't get popular. And even then, its a slim chance that people would be interested.
RTS and AFPS are pretty much dead, user. AFPS more so.

Depends on the output device. For terminals, printf will flush automatically on newline.

Now fuck off back to /g/.

Hah, didn't notice.

QC is apparently coming to steam as well

We can make it. Right guys?

Yeah, I heard that. But desu they will probably still come with their launchers somehow, probably like how planetside 2 had its separate sony launcher inside steam. At least I think this would be the case for ut4 because I don't see them selling their market stuff over steam workshop.

Depends on whether or not Diabotical ends up being good.

Some really slick slash play on justnvc's stream of the 125fps cup right now.

some oc fag should edit the star wars ep 3 anakin/obi wan duel with a pic of ranger holding a rocket launcher saying IT'S OVER ANARKI, I HAVE THE HIGH GROUND

>To avoid this having a server browser would help,
Sever browsers make this experience worse user, not better.

Matchmaking with a large player base is what makes it so that a players get matched with similarly skilled players.

Thats why literally every competitive mondern PVP game uses matchmaking.
Specifically because it allows players of similar skill to get placed against one another, so they don't get stomped by veterans and no lifers who can shit on them endlessly.

Shop should be dm6 rail, with anarki standing on rail and ranger bleeding on the ground with RL ready to jump.

I think they said you wont need the bethesda launcher if you play it on steam.

HUUH!

QC noob here; why do I see absolutely nobody playing pic related? I'm liking her totems but I probably see 2 other Galena players a day.

good work dude!

Because Galena requires predicting opponents and reading the map. Most players don't know how to do this.

Galena is actually my 3rd most played champion. Because tripmines are hilarious. And Galena is a good combo with Tank champions because she works very well as a DPS Support character.

Fixed the "r"

people use her on ztndm3 to spam totems

Hunter fucking when?

ITS TIME FOR UT4
Add "MrMaggot" to friends and I'll invite you to the party to join the private game.

Too lewd. Nobody wants a Waifu Champions game.

youtube.com/watch?v=2GUf6Ce8uxA
This game was rather successful.

>Ignoring nyx sorlag and slash

I miss 3rd person shooters. S4 League was fun back in the day. Gears of War was brutal, but there was never a seriously good 3rd person shooter.

I prefer third over first, but im rare in that preference.

>when people vote for UT4 then don't show up

I mean shit, look at this.
The game was absolute shit in any aspect other than cosmetic it held more of an audience than any AFPS other than QL during its lifetime.
There's that new GOW. Go play that?

>vote for UT4
I voted Xonotic. It had a pretty clear lead last I checked. I suspect foul play, who'd want to play UT4?

Steam stats for microvolts isnt reliable either. Most Microvolts players use the actual client, not the steam install. It was marketed like any korean MMORPG back in the day. A stand alone client with a patcher and account log in.

Microvolts was actually a big contender against TF2 and S4League when the game was at it's height, and people weren't sick to shit of pay to win.

It's public now just join Absolute Atlanta faggots

Bumpin

Huhin

Final version I swear

There needs to be a 2nd panel with anarki holding a guantlet saying

"YOU UNDERESTIMATE MY MOVEMENT SPEED"

>you underestimate my adad

reminder for everyone who voted for UT4 and didn't show up to kill themselves
there won't be another even for a month if /arena/ is even still alive

>Pop into team death match after waiting for 5 minutes
>playing clutch to try out the new speed demon
>still get sniped/lg'd by children because of my hitbox
>especially by one guy
>switch to anarki
>that one guy is still perfectly hitting every shot without missing once
>tracking me through walls
>using BJ to get the most out of his aimbot

I hate video games. At least clutch is viable in duel.

Clutch is so feelsgoodman.png in duels, his hitbox is the only thing that keeps him down

I just wish he didn't get insta deleted in any game mode besides 1v1. Literally everyone can hear and see your fat ass and rails you from cross map without ever missing.

>On the champion select screen, the characters all have well animated intros with nice sound effects
>Clutch, Scalebearer, Visor, Anarki and Galena's new intros haven't had sound effects added in
I am slightly perturbed

Bumps

>cpma is less strategic
>it adds way more options for strategy and tactics instead of +back rail

Who is your UT waifu?
Pic unrelated

2k4 flak cannon

>QC has consumed my life
>Can't get myself to play any other games except unwantingly logging in for raid nights in my MMO guild.
>Watch ESL duels all during raid
>Watch previous quake game's tournaments while trying to chill and fall asleep.
>Stop hanging out with online friends because they dont play quake.

So... How fucked am I going to be if QC fails to become popular?

Am I going to have a massive hole in my heart like what happened when my favorite MMO of all time shutdown and I spend another 5 years searching for something to fill that hole?

I'd rather just stop playing games than go back to casualwatch.

just play cpma

Yer boned m8

Will the space Egyptians return in UT4?

what's the point of playing this unfished game when you could play UT99 which looks and feels better in every way? isn't the whole point of playing these remakes just for the graphics?

because UT99 has shit balance and shit movement

>ut99
>shit movements
>shit balance
wat

youtube.com/watch?v=-IovXx7FsQw

yes ut99 has shit movement
the only skill based movement it has is impact hammer jumping and rocket jumping
ut2k4 blows it out of the water in every aspect

so why dont you play ut2k4?

because ut4 doesnt have shock taping

So why don't you guys play /arena/ games?

I do. Just wish there were better servers or something. I have shit ping for everything on UT2k4, but pretty decent in anything else.
Shame, since I actually enjoy UT2k4 more than most other arena shooters.

Nebri and some of the Necris girls.

What arena shooters still have active matchmaking/servers/lobbies running not full of quake dads?

How do I make QC look properly? Talking about picmip

QC does not have picmip options and they'll eventually be banning forced LOD bias and stuff like that.

The best options is to set the game on lowest settings with at least 0.7 brightness.

It removes lots of the clutter and ambience.

>they'll eventually be banning forced LOD bias and stuff like that
and how exactly will they ban a thing they can in no way detect? save for taking client screenshots and looking at them

Bump

UT4. Maybe QC.

Somehow with nvidia inspector you can get picmip. Don't know the details. Ignore the fags who whine about it being cheating.

>its smug aura HUHs me

Some one make this edit

I'm always eager to improve my work

Gj my boiii

capital letters my man

Almost done. Should I make it "HUHS" or "HUHs"?

HUHs

Hold on, I can improve it more