Would this be a good first car for me?
m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=471610717
>manual transmission
>47k miles
>$8,000
>not too new/not too old
>red + beige is a bretty cool color scheme
>convertible
I don't know much about cars but I grew up with parents who were car-fudds. They couldn't and wouldn't fix a fucking cupholder. Half of their fights would be my dad being pissed about my mom being overly attached to her Mercedes which would frequently have problems and always need to be taken in. I struggled finding my mom's car in high school occasionally since she'd always have a different rental.

I 100% believe in the rumor that repairmen break something new every time so that you are forced to return to them. I grew up with it. Even though I can't yet drive stick I am determined to teach myself the ins and outs of this vehicle and call it my own. People on various forms have said about this car that "she'll treat you good if you treat her good." I intend to treat her like my baby.

I want a manual because it seems more fun, it'd deter me from texting and everyone who drives one says they cannot go back to auto.

What does Veeky Forums think? Am I on the right track or do I need to rethink some things? Are 1990s Alfa Romeo Spider Veloces shit, or are they the shit?

PS I should probably learn stick before buying a stick car. What is the best way to get my hands on one short of having friends?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=469330526&zip=32266&endYear=2018&pageLayout=list&sortBy=derivedpriceDESC&startYear=1981&maxMileage=100000&searchRadius=200&maxPrice=10000&transmissionGroup=MAN&mmt=[MAZDA[MIATA[]][]]
daytona.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003-mazda-miata-5sp/6368660804.html
jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/d/mazda-mx5-miata-super-cleank/6364752290.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I forgot to ask my question
>how important is having a big car when getting into an accident? Everyone I know is insistent on me getting an SUV for safety. Most cars aren't super beefy so it makes me doubt this logic

The meme that """SUVs""" (generally crossovers at this point) is wildly overblown (unless they are actual SUVs).

Look at older Blazers. Literal death traps. I'd rather be in that Alfa than in a Blazer in a roll over desu.

But no, this is a terrible idea. Parts will be expensive and rare. Shit will be very fragile as well.

If you want a piece of the FR roadster life, consider a Miata.
>cheap
>reliable
>common enough to actually find one for sale in good condition
>incredibly fun
>unbelievably well documented
>cheap parts

Would I really be breaking stuff that often to have part availability be a legitimate issue? If I keep it in good shape I should probably be able to get by with repairs, not replacements. Then again I don't know shit and I'm not doubting that you're right about this.

Here's my backup option. Almost twice the mileage and slightly more expensive, but probably easier to maintain and won't stick out like a sore thumb. And maybe if I truly develop a car hobby I'll start looking towards old stuff. Is it smarter to go with this 2007 BMW 335I?
>fucking Veeky Forums thinks an offerup link is spam, so I'll just tell you that the thing has 92k miles and priced at $10,000.

An E90 335i would be a bad idea too. I don't have any experience with Alfas, but I do have some experience with E46 BMWs. They have weird shit break, like trunk latches, and everything is annoying to work on.

What is your budget?

Also, protip, use Craigslist. You will have a much broader selection of local cars to pick from.

$10,000

Any good pickup truck suggestions? I'm open to anything as long as I get an aesthetically pleasing (and adequately safe I guess) manual for

big question is is what are you looking for specifically? A daily driver, something sporty, something that isn't going to look like everything else on the road?

I'm partial towards the old F-150's. My dad has one and the thing is bulletproof, cheap to maintain and gets most jobs done

Daily driver, and to some degree something that stands out. Not a priority. That truck is fucking awesome, I really like 90s, early 2000s stuff (the cars that aren't too classic but not too contemporary either)

If you want something that stands out, An MR2 isn't a bad idea. Not a maintenance nightmare (although they do have issues) and they can be found for under 10k if you look.

If you need a manual to deter you from texting, you're a fucking cunt

That definitely looks fun. Are American cars really shit or is that just a meme peddled by my father? Would I be better off with a Jap car?

That's 1% of 1/10th of my reasoning. I just threw it in because it seemed like the right thing to say. I have never texted and driven with an automatic. Frig off.

He doesn't know what he is doing, he will wreck. The MR-S handles great, but it can be incredibly dangerous if you are stupid, despite the lengthened wheelbase compared to the SW20.

Also, it has 1.5 cubic feet of cargo space. That is unusable for most people.

American cars are a meme, but stay away from the MR2 Spyder. Get a Miata.

3k miata>>>>>

Ugly girl car

I'm back with a very long link
>2004 MX-5 Miata Mazda
m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=469330526&zip=32266&endYear=2018&pageLayout=list&sortBy=derivedpriceDESC&startYear=1981&maxMileage=100000&searchRadius=200&maxPrice=10000&transmissionGroup=MAN&mmt=[MAZDA[MIATA[]][]]

That doesn't look good for how much it is. Where do you live? I will find you a car off of Craigslist

Jacksonville FL, and thanks user it means a lot. I truly don't know what I'm doing

>Alfa

No

daytona.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003-mazda-miata-5sp/6368660804.html

jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/d/mazda-mx5-miata-super-cleank/6364752290.html

Best two options I found in your area.

>PS I should probably learn stick before buying a stick car. What is the best way to get my hands on one short of having friends?

By buying one. It's how a lot of people learn manual. I bought a miata and had to learn how to drive a manual or I wasn't getting home.

Thanks a bunch. I'm into that Daytona one
How long did it take you? I've heard it takes about two hours to get comfortable with it

Excellent choice. It will teach you how to take care of the exterior much more than the silver one would.

If you do end up getting the black Miata, you better post a thread here about it.

Anyway, good luck with your automotive adventures.

I knew a little bit of the basics of how it's suppose to go but had never actually been on a public road where it mattered.

The day I bought it the guy let me drive it to my bank for them to look at it so they could get a value and give me the loan. Had test drove it already but only around his neighborhood. By the end of the night I was doing fine, once you learn where the clutch grabs it's easy. After a week or so I was completely comfortable DD'ing it and had been through most issues such as hill starts/stalling at a light/etc and learned from it.