/smtg/ - 真・女神転生/Shin Megami Tensei General

New 3DS game is called "Strange Journey Redux/Deep Strange Journey" further info and teaser:

atlus.com/strangejourney/home.html
shin-megamitensei.jp/dsj/
youtube.com/watch?v=6kXOfSFb2EU
youtube.com/watch?v=IvLc8kXrz1g

SMT HD Project teased at Nintendo Switch Presentation:
youtube.com/watch?v=ut9ekAp2drs

>Starter guide
i.imgur.com/zJcYpuE.png

>Tips and tricks
pastebin.com/J6ER3Eve

>Artbook, soundtrack, manga, and other downloads
pastebin.com/NqLRYf5n

>OST links
pastebin.com/kLbYxjFU

>Misc. translations
pastebin.com/pgEWmYfH

>Booru
smtg.booru.org/

>Recommended reading
pastebin.com/ByiXrDGX

Previous thread:

>smtg fell.

Post cute

We should make a thread on /c/.

inb4 that hallelujafag posts

why does luci like turning into girls and shotas

Don't incite her user

Mono Mono are you here

What demons do you want to see in SMTV?
for me it's friday, bigfoot, patriot, and my boy terminator.

>demons
>post a human

Classics designs like Tiamat and Nekomata.

Kinda tired of the usual designs.

Are they really humans if you can shove them in your comp though?

In SMTV I hope that Law again will be as a church, not some eastern kingdoms

tfw never ever

I want to fuck every iteration of pixie

What difficulty should I pick in the Record Breaker? Is it easy enough to pic Apocalypse?

new ending: turn the schwarzwelt into a demon daycare

Aren't there only two difficulties? Pick the non-picnic mode.

I'm playing DeSu1 and am stuck on Day 8 because I'm in a loop with Beldr. I've gone with a Mag build with the MC and any damage I deal with Devil's Fuge is healed up by Beldr with Vampirism. I guess the fuge damage scales off strength because i'm dealing approx 280.

Is there any other way to deal with this guy without even more grinding? I'll be glad for the excuse to put this game down and play a mainline SMT game, this feels like a poor choice for my first series entry with the shit story and unforgivable grinding.

How are you having problems? I never put a single point into STR and I didn't have trouble with either Beldr fight, without excessive grinding. Maybe give some of your other party members resistances to curse so he doesn't heal as much?

Use a Kishin and Tyrant with the MC to push back his turns so he doesn't use it as often. Devil's Fuge scales with your level, if I remember right.

MC only deals damage with the Devil's Fuge attack, it hits for just under 300 and Beldr heals himself on his turn for more than enough to bring himself to full HP.

I'm going to try to let any character without curse resistance die, maybe he won't heal as much.

Fuge scales with level, not STR

>Devil's Fuge
>Miss
>Same thing the next time MC's turn comes around

Thanks for the advice but that's me finished. According to the sticky I should play P3 or DDS, any advice on which one? I really enjoyed P5 but other than that, DeSu is the only other game I've played.

Sounds like you're getting fucked by the RNG way more than most people. Sorry about your luck, user.
>What other games should I play?
SMT IV is pretty good, so is Soul Hackers. Both are on the 3ds too

What does negative skill affinity for buff/debuff skills translate to in Apocalypse?
Just increased mana cost?

>increased mana cost

Yeah, that's all.

Get good you nigger. Don't give up. SMT is all about suffering and masochism. Power through.

I'd go with P3FES.

I don't think that this series is for you if fucking DeSu of all games is enough to make you give up

Maybe go into DDS. Its similar i gameplay i think (Except you dont fuse anything) and the characters are as good or better than the Persona games offer.

But Persona 3 is okay too. I recomend playing the PSP version as female MC and then play P3 Fes since thats the main canon that following Personas follow.

I had a harder times with both Desus than i had in say Nocturne, and i played the DeSus last.

>I recomend playing the PSP version as female MC and then play P3 Fes

That's a pretty fucking shitty recommendation senpai. You always do FES first, P3P is only for if you really loved P3 and want to play it again as a grill and slut around with all the boys.

The game itself even tells you that you shouldn't start with the female route.

Maybe sRPGs just aren't his style. They for sure aren't mine.

>I recomend playing the PSP version as female MC and then play P3 Fes

Nah i really think its better P3P because of the much improved battle system (Lack of other features aside). Fuck Party AI.

So? I would think smtg, a general that tends to favor gameplay over visuals, would agree on that matter.

>I would think smtg, a general that tends to favor gameplay over visuals, would agree on that matte
P3P gameplay completely breaks the game, it becomes a baby mode easy game, they added direct control w/out redesigning anything so it's fucking easy

>it becomes a baby mode easy game
So good for first timers? Though the game is still more challenging than your usual RPG.

>So? I would think smtg, a general that tends to favor gameplay over visuals, would agree on that matter.
I don't. Don't ever generalize like that again, faggot.

you have an ability to take any form you want. why not take something that's aesthetically pleasing to you?

Then why play SMT games? They never had impressive visuals. Persona 5 is the closest you get.

>Though the game is still more challenging than your usual RPG.
lol no
with no party control you have to identify enemy's weakness before your allies start using it, if you get direct control it pretty much deletes the need of identifying enemies and you just tell your party members to spam that element against that enemy
It's easy and boring, not to mention how it's visual-novelized, breaking many moments like a certain character's death mid-game
If you unironically recommend P3P as a first-time P3 experience you should shoot yourself

It's just a numbers game at this point seeing as I had everyone using almighty/holy/that multi hit phys attack. I just don't care enough about the story to grind any more.

I'll finish the next one I swear.

Guess I'll try P3, thanks.

Yeah I was disappointed the first time I had an encounter. Serves me right for not researching.

>They never had impressive visuals
I disagree. Even the SNES games look good even if the dungeons are too same-y.
Not every Megaten game has to be Persona 5 levels of budget and style for me to play and admire them.

What other games allow me to experience an apocalyptic world with demons, that also allows me to shape the world to what I see fit?

>I'll finish the next one I swear.
Or you could just do this

>P4 still has a new game
Atlus please

>>P4 still has a new game
Huh?

BlazBlue x P4AU x UNiB x RWBY was announced.

Arksys just announce a versus game with most of their games' cast, including P4

>BlazBlue, Under Night in Birth, and RWBY are MegaTen now.

I will when I muster up the will to grind for gold but I'm sick of DeSu right now and haven't enjoyed it for 10hrs or so.

Explain.

>RWBY is MegaTen

I want this just to make people angry.

At EVO I assume? I don't really follow it except Catherine but I saw a thread on /v/ talking about an upcoming RWBY game announcement.

It got announced after the grand finals.

So, just beat Apocalypse.

I'm assuming the general consensus on this design is that it's terrible right? The original YHVH design is pretty iconic and it was done really well in this game, they shouldn't have bothered giving him a "true" form if they didn't have something really special.

They're never gonna stop.

>p4 still getting milked

You can't make this shit up.

The only reason they're using P4 in the crossover is because they already have the sprites drawn out. They're just re-using assets.

I think the point of it is that YHVH isn't supposed to be "special": by denying His divinity He reverts into an ordinary demon, because if you don't believe that He's almighty he's just a really strong demon.

In this form he is supposed to be more like ordinary demon

I know, it's still funny though.

Shit taste. Demonized YHVH is a cool idea and the way his eyes flash in that battle was a cool callback.

I understand the intent but that didn't mean it had to be a clusterfuck of generic demon elements all shoved together. It should have been something truly debased/pathetic looking but still a clear logical progression from the original design.

i don't think they're just generic demon elements. they're related to his legend from the torah/dead sea scrolls, like the bull being the bull of heaven/golden calf, the snake being the serpent of eden and so on. since he's supposed to be omniscient according to his myths, all of those things, both good and bad are parts of him.

Anyone have that Jonathan P4 edit

>i don't think they're just generic demon elements

The demonic head is literally the most generic looking depiction of a devil like figure in the whole series.

The design would be much more cohesive without it. Remove that and make the shriveled human form more visible and I think the design would be greatly improved. I actually don't mind the dead-eyed animal heads at all.

What are you guys playing currently? I'm going through SMT1 for the first time. I love how minimal it is and doesn't have cutscenes amuck. Haven't played a retro game in a long time. I just made it to Shibuya, and it feels like a lot happened in-game in a short amount of real time. Also the OST is just fucking cool.

For Megami Tensei 1 and 2, what would you guys say is the preferred version?

I'm not playing any Megaten at the moment but I want to go back to DeSu 2. I was really enjoying it but fuck me it's hard.

I would play Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei. The soundtrack is worse compared to the other versions, but the QOL improvements more than make up for it. It also has a complete fantranslation.

Nothing at the momment. I have a KMT 1&2 playthrough waiting to be finishes.

Just got a hacked 3DS, soon will get to play SMT 4&A along Persona Q.

I plan to start SMT 1 soon.

Recently though I've found it had to play games that have true random battles i.e. no overworld representation of enemies. I grew up with this style of game but I've become completely accustomed to being able to see a battle coming. The old style just irritates and stresses me out now.

I know, I'm a pathetic casual.

Finishing Apocalypse, last dungeon is a fucking chore,

Persona Q. Just got to the final boss, but my 3DS is about to die so I'm letting it charge.

Demonized YHVH is him as a mere demon. Demonizations always turn into something they loathe. Like Beelzebubs hatred of being a fly buzzing around shit.

He has become the thing he loathes.

Anyone have that one comic of Persona 1 where it's basically a shitpost about how fast you move. I lost it

I finished EOIV last night, I have quite a few games I want to get around to now, but since I got the DMC HD collection during the PSN sale I think it's time to finally get around to playing Devil May Cry featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry™ series.

I also got Operation Abyss.

Yakuza 0. First time playing a game in the series and I love it.

KMT2. I'm just getting to the point where enemies are reflecting physical and spamming mudodyne. I want to die.

I still have SMT1, God Wars, Crash and P5 on NG+ to finish but I'm watching anime more than playing games lately.

The great debate.

Not much of a debate when there's a factually correct answer.

I'd take my dog over Shitoki anyday.

Leave the room and find Nozomi

Whoa that's a totally bananacakes idea, homeslice!

She looks and sounds like a retard in IV:A

KMT it is. Although I love the sprite work and music for the originals.

Hacked 3ds has been a godsend for me. I highly recommend Soul Hackers.

In SMT1 the encounter rate is high, but the battles go by so fast it's hardly noticeable. When you say stress out, I feel the same way too but it adds to the atmosphere imo especially when the enemy enters in a bolt of lightning and is an actual problem.

Opposite problem here. I can't stand sitting down and watching things happen. At the very least my hands have to be doing something... even fapping. I even quit my old job over being stationary too much.

What is a good anime you'd recommend?

Oh yeah forgot SH too. Only the DeSus i wont probably tough since i beat the DS ones already.

She's hot tho

Just finished P5 yesterday. I'm still exhausted.

Looks cool.

I'd main Yu or Liz, and a RWBY bitch