Electronic e brake

>electronic e brake

Why? Wouldn't the car roll down if the battery died?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=prf7qfyB55g
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

yes

cant even imagine how it feels to be this dumb

I fucking hate the very idea behind the electronig parking brake.
We've reached a point now where it's apparently too much of an effort to pull a fucking lever to stop your car, it has to be done with a button.
Nothing better shows the race to the bottom when it comes to driving. You don't need to know how to cruis at a certain speed, you can just press a button and the car does it for you. You don't need to know how to reverse and turn to park, just press a button and the car does it for you. And now you don't even need to pull a fucking lever that isn't even heavy to keep your car parked, just press another fucking button, soon you don't even need to know how to drive. You'll just have to press a button.

electronic parking brake gives the interior a cleaner look and gives more space

they look weird, and I imagine they ruin handbrake turns.

but I can't sit on it

but i can't shove it in my ass

but I can't pour honey on it and suck it

>Why?
I haven't looked into it but I think it's probably to solve the problem of stretching (or even snapping) handbrake cables.
Also the complications of having a cable actuated brake caliper - most cars run either drums at the back or combined drum-disks purely for the cable handbrake.

>drums
Are you still stuck 15 years ago? No decent company run that shit anymore.

I agree with you on everything but cruise control. I like it and it keeps me from getting tickets on the highway. I know how to cruise just fine and usually do but if I'm driving over 2 hours the cruise control is coming out

Actualy rear drum brakes are still a thing in small econoboxes.
The main reason is that these cars don´t require stronger brakes or higher thermal capacity.

what do you think the shifter is for?

To answer your question yes, yes I am.

But pray do tell oh enlightened one; what handbrake setup did cars run in the 15 year interim between cable actuated drums and these new electronic types?

Toyota runs drums. oh wait their not decent.

agreed apart from the cruise control part, as said. It's convenient, and helps my fuel consumption.

they've managed to fuck that up too

U S E R I N T E R F A C E S
A F F O R D A N C E S
E R G O N O M I C S

WHY CANT ANYONE DESIGN A DECENT USER INTERFACE ANYMORE EVEN FUCKING LAMPS HAVE GONE FULL RETARD AND PUT THE ON/OFF ON THE FUCKING CABLE AND MAKE IT A TINY CONTINUOUSLY SPINNING WHEEL INSTEAD OF A PROPER TOGGLE REEEEEEEEE

OP is probably just a kid. To not troll him, all the "electronic" piece of the E-Brake does is move a mechanical obstruction into and out of place.

Your car isn't an appliance.
You should know how to use it, you should know how to properly control it, you should know to do more so you can then afford to do less for the sake of comfort if you so chose but we've reached the point where quite a lot if not most young drivers won't even learn to parallel park because there's a system for that instead.

I fucking hated those things when I was a beginner. My city has many hills and I learned to use the handbrake to aid my start at steep hill. Learned to drive with a conventional handbrake, switched to one with e-brake later. Those shitty things usually have the function where they automatically let go when you tap the gas or push the clutch. Every fucking traffic light at an inclination was pure horror, as I nearly rolled into the guy behind me, with the bonus effect of desperately grapping at thin air just to realize that there is no real handbrake there.

>Your car isn't an appliance.
>implying anyone on Veeky Forums owns an interesting car

yeah 2bh i figured it's probably some kind of motor-driven toggle and not magnets or some shit

and even if it were magnets or some shit, electronic door locks already exist and generally have to be powered on to be in the unlocked position, so your car running out of battery would make the brakes engage, not disengage

also how the fuck would your car run out of battery that fast when it's parked normally? if you're storing it long term wouldn't you wanna put it somewhere at least flat, if not throw some 4x4s in front of the wheels?

have you considered learning to drive

>implying that changes anything
Your drill doesn't need to be interesting for you to know how to use it. You should know what precautions to take before using it, how to operate it, what to use it for and when it isn't necessary. That way you can not only use it, but you can use it safely. Same should go with cars. They are extremely dangerous tools which is why we should teach drivers how to deal with everything themselves instead of simplifying everything and leave them butt-naked and panicking if anything ever goes wrong.

>have you considered learning to drive
Using the parking break to do a hill start in a manual transmission car is a pretty common trick for beginners who don't yet have the real hang on their cars and can't manage well enough to ease them into gear with the throttle and clutch.

they are shit, agreed on that

>
WHY CANT ANYONE DESIGN A DECENT USER INTERFACE ANYMORE EVEN FUCKING LAMPS HAVE GONE FULL RETARD AND PUT THE ON/OFF ON THE FUCKING CABLE AND MAKE IT A TINY CONTINUOUSLY SPINNING WHEEL INSTEAD OF A PROPER TOGGLE REEEEEEEEE

The point of that is to allow multiple dimmer settings without a more expensive 3-terminal rocker switch.

>for beginners
key words

ive never used one of those shitty rolly switches that acted as a dimmer, they've all been on/off and click into position

>Function unpowered - Locks wheels
>Function powered - Unlocks wheels

>driving along highway
"did I remember to put the battery clamp back on?"
>hit bump
>battery earths out on bonnet
>rear wheels lock up
>dead

Which is precisely why he started by saying "I hated these things when I was a beginner"

>driving around with bits of your car not actually secured down to it
you deserved it

>driving along highway
>battery explodes (it happens)
>rear wheels lock up
>dead

>driving along highway
>car explodes
>die
WHAT THE FUCK THEY SHOULD JUST BAN CARS

but i can't stroke it while I drive

Rear brakes seldom get much use anyway, unless you brake HARD, and discs are therefore prone to rust at the back. I say bring back drums for all rear wheels.

>driving along highway
>blow main fuse/fuseable link (they're on there for a reason)
>rear wheels lock up
>dead

The handbrake method is the best way to hill start.
You should have your handbrake on if you're stopped for any appreciable length of time anyway, regardless of hills.

god fucking damn it i hate you people

stop telling people to be an retard

Grow you and realise that most people dont give a fuck.

Heel and toeing is both easier and more elegant.

>reduces glare from brake lights
>allows brakes to cool
>more secure in the event of a collision
>allows you to reposition your feet properly for moving off again

>have brake that can be actuated by hand - leaving your feet free to operate clutch and accelerator
>chose to spread two feet across three pedals instead

In what world would that ever be considered easier or more elegant? Or in any way superior?

But my Toyota Human Transportation Pod is an appliance.

Yeah, people on Veeky Forums seem to be averse to using the handbrake for some reason.
Generally advanced driving groups such as IAM/ROSPA recommend using the handbrake+going into neutral for any stop longer than a few seconds.

how is it not?

also you should know how to use appliances

Do you have a personal connection to your refrigerator? Do you lovingly maintain it or get preventative maintenance done? Do you personalize it to make it uniquely yours? Is it a point of pride for you? To some people, a car is more than just an appliance they don't think about beyond getting from A to B. Some people, believe it or not, like their car, are proud of it, and even enjoy driving it. In that way, it's not an appliance. I don't understand why dumbfucks like you would ever even visit Veeky Forums in the first place if you don't get this

It is not normal for a newbie to do it. I learned to do hill climb with a regular brake in my second driving lesson. It is worth learning because you will be using it a lot and it is easier to do than using the handbrake.

How is using the handbrake hard?
Just load up the clutch at your own pace and let go of the handbrake. You could sit there for a whole minute revving the engine and slowling releasing the clutch if you wanted to.....

I can guarantee that it is about packaging more than anything. Similar to hydraulic clutches.

Now they don't have to worry about requiring a semi direct route for the cable from the front of the vehicle to the rear.

You need to have a relatively straight path. Cables can have some bend in them but with an electric parking brake it is just a button to tell a motor to spin one way, then another. The wiring in between and can have more twists and twirls than a pig's dick.

Don't get it, I just prefer regular brake for hill climbs.

name one manual car that has an electronic parking brake and doesn't have hill assist

So you couldn't disengage the parking brake if it was out of battery?

>just boomer things

It's not even

>Hill assist

It's more like

>Take-off clutch release

>Electric handbrake in a manual vehicle

For shame...

That's not how it works you dumb nigger fucker.

There is a way to manually disengage it (IIRC you remove the cupholder, and there is a thing you put the key in and turn to disengage the e-brake)

Get with the times, bro. Button technology is obsolete. I don't drive any cars that don't have a touch screen actuated parking brake.

The other day I shut down on the highway. Lost all brakes and PS. Only way I was able to stop from highway speeds is by slowly applying the e-brake while I coasted on the shoulder. An electronic brake would not be able to ensure the same ease of operation or safety in a similar situation. In essence, it is useless.

>A F F O R D A N C E S
youtube.com/watch?v=prf7qfyB55g

just because you lost power assist doesn't mean you loose braking. What are you a manlet.
a chad would have been able to stop.

>driving hydroboosted system in a 6000lb truck
>loose engine power
>loose PS as a result
>loose hydroboost brakes since no PS
>brake pedal hits floor and doesn't do a damn thing

Fuck off with your vacuum boosted shitbox

but I can't rub the tip with my finger as I cruise

>power windows
>wouldn't your windows roll down if the battery dies

Just engine brake

Also the vehicle was build by robots, if there's a blackout at the factory will the car fall apart?

One of the things that scares me about having one of these newfangled electronical cars is that the steering wheel lock is engaged by a motor instead of a key in the barrel.

What if the car dies and I need to push it to the side of the road? I don't want to be "that guy" because I can't turn the steering wheel :/

Happened to my in my Focus with electric power steering. You just turn really really hard and hope nothing breaks.

The only people that hate Ee-brakes are poorfags and luddites. There is nothing wrong with making handbrake turns easier.

It's exactly the opposite, you can't open the handbrake anymore if your battery dies.
This is really a problem for example if someone wants to jump start your car and can't get close enough to your car because you parked in front ot a wall etc.

Isn't it also called "emergency brake" because you'd gently and gradually use it to reduce your speed in case of front brakes failure ?

Oh I've lost power steering before even just from a belt snapping. It's heavy but at least you can still steer.

I'm talking about what if the steering wheel is mechanically locked and the car doesn't have power or blows a fuse or whatever else and now I can't unlock it at all? That will probably never happen, but there are lots of things that probably never will happen but still do anyway.

maybe you should press the kill yourself button

Regular brake starts are good when your car has the power to tackle the hill.
I've noticed in more underpowered cars, it's a lot more practical to use the handbrake than excessively accelerate.

Take a video of you down an empty street, cut power and let us judge you on how well you stop without vacuum assist after pumping the brakes a couple times.

I hate it because it's slow but I like the electric sound it's make

When I had a car with a normal handbrake I’d use it to stop the car when parking. Saves time and makes me look like a hektic cunt.

Well now I look like a hekticcunt thanks to my new vehicle but I still hate fucking around with this gay ass electric hand brake. You have to have the brake applied to it gives me the shits

You have to step on the brake to use the handbrake? what the fuck?

How is that supposed to work in an emergency? Are we worried that people are going to fall sideways on the buttons like Trump might launch nukes next time he fat-fingers a tweet?

I haven’t bothered to find out how to apply the handbrake at speed yet. Never “needed” to before. And I can do skids without the handbrake. But yeah that’s another thing