/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

I HAVE THE POWER edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Standalone is out of date, use Starter Pack for 43.05):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12897
youtube.com/watch?v=0eVNCB4ExYE
boards.fireden.net/vg/thread/168813875/#168816998
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Some migrants have arrived.

Urist
He-Man

Herne
Hercule

Who do you want to reach the finals and who actually will?

I want He-Man Herc but it's going to be Herne and Urist

HE-MAN VS HERCULE

I NEED IT

Gourd.

I'd be fine with Urist or He-Man, they're both fun fighters. I want Herc to win his matchup.

I hope He-man and Hercule win, so it'll be two legends fighting against each other.

But realistically, it's a 50/50 chance between Urist and He-man, and Herne will most likely win against Herc because adamantine cloaks, yo.

He-Man for the winner definitely, he destroyed all his opponents man.

I bet it's that mask Skeletor wore that's empowering him.

Are we doing semifinals tonight? Or waiting again?

I know that Hercule's manager said that he'd rather keep the lion cloak because it was more in keeping with his character, but I could easily mod in some "Nemean Lion Leather" that is just renamed adamantine, in case he wants to spend the points like that.

Semi-finals are gonna be next week, sorry lad

Lava top lad.

Blatant propaganda on the thread, Hercule's got this.
DELET THIS.

>Barely noticed the tournament was going on

Look, last time we got elf vs elf, so this time we need human vs human.

For those who may have missed it in the last thread and might possibly be interested I'm gonna be posting this again once more. My mod is officially updated to 3.0

dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12897

New features are 3 new races that are sure to fuck your shit up, and a unique language for all 12 civilizations. If you give my mod a try, please tell me what you think of it. I could use the feedback since I probably won't be able to find all the problems by myself.

On another note though, I'm gonna talk about some particularly cool tricks I learned that might be of use to any other modders in this thread.

1. I was making a race of inbred, genetically defective mole people. I tried a bunch of different solutions to try and represent this aspect of them, but managed to discover a solution that I think works fairly well. I located their MAXAGE tag and did this to it:
[MAXAGE:10:90]

Basically, this means that they are only fit and healthy for the first ten years of their life, and beyond that their genetic deformities mean they could kick the bucket at any minute, which is what I wanted.

The second problem arose from making an insect race with fertile male drones and female queens, and sterile female workers and soldiers. The issue was that the race quickly went extinct because drones kept marrying sterile females instead of queens. The solution to this particular conundrum was surprisingly simple. I simply made the bugs gay.

Basically, I greatly increased the rate of homosexuality within soldier and worker castes, which pretty much solved the problem.

Anyway I'm done rambling, please check out my mod if it interests you and have a nice day!

Wow I fucked this post up on multiple levels. Presentation could have been much better.

They're putting chemicals in the water that turn the frickin bugs gay

>tfw it's gonna be dorf vs elkman

So, the military is full of fags.

Just like real life.

Y'know as soon as I posted this I knew anons would instantly fixate on the gay bugs. Never change /dfg/.

I am admittedly excited to see how the magic update will affect these tourneys when its finally released.

I'll finally be able to make gladiators that are just shitty fighting game references.

I can't wait.

TOURNAMENT
W
H
E
N

Wouldn't that require the tourney to use a specific world-gen to create a set of rules for the magic to work?

>Crab with spell that causes full-body necrosis to itself but will probably kill the opponent before the crab fully rots

I'm no artist, but this tournament has been severely lacking in art.

>Artifact release
>Steal artifacts from as many civs as possible in adv mode and retire
>Adventurer migrates to your fort with all the artifacts in tow
What happens, do the agents/armies declare war or what, what if he isn't a permanent resident? Do agents just come to your tavern and beat him up with you having no clue as to what's going on?

Big
Hearty
Keks

>Literally drawing furry OCs
GET OUT

You're overreacting

Never

Tourneyanon fell down the stairs and broke his neck, killing him.

oh well
who's going to host the next tournament

Tourneyanon is dead? The horror...

David Attenborough

That's a cape user, not a cloak

It was inevitable

Here's He-Man drawn in MS Paint using the pencil tool and shoddy colour filling bucket tool

Just for you, baby.

I don't think Herne has eyes anymore, not after that headshot

Truly, the arena medics are miracle workers.

Nice

>ywn play as a top grade heal slut in adventure mode once the magic update is released

>Lava lad
youtube.com/watch?v=0eVNCB4ExYE

>Heal slut
Hot

Keep your sick animal fucking fantasies OUT of my /dfg/

Get the fuck outta here with that shit

We're all secretly furfaggots on the inside, my man.

Sorry senpai

Damn you my only weakness, Moths. This won't be the end you furry fucking faggot.

DF has animal men, if you're going to flip out every time they're mentioned/depicted because you've convinced yourself that Mickey Mouse is furry shit then it sounds like you're going to have a rough time

boards.fireden.net/vg/thread/168813875/#168816998

I still want Herne to win

HE-MAN WILL WINCHECK MY DIGITS

Who would win in and unarmed fight?

A fly man or a mosquito man?

>this is furry:
>mickey mouse isn't
huh?

This
Is what started the discussion

"Highlight this week was making sure other dwarven civilizations can in fact retaliate if you decide to bother them. So I sent my expedition leader by himself across the plains to the next mountain range to raid a mountain home. He did not survive. The next season, eight well-armed dwarves and two of their goblin buddies attacked my remaining six dwarves by the wagon. So one needs to be careful!

Current project is turning all of my dwarves into children, letting them be kidnapped by goblins, and then growing them back up so I can send them off on rescue squads."
Dorf civs can now actually fight back against the goblin horde. Nice!

i specifically mentioned two things, neither of which is that

In addition
is some monster-girl tier bullshit

HAH
I do have something I want to write if herne loses, though. so I win either way!

Is this the worst tournament yet?

i know that doujin

Nah.
There's not really a "worst" tournament.

Certainly the one with most controversy.

No, all the elves are dead.

Reminder:
>Every mechanic has already been figured out and is well-known, so you're not allowed to ask any questions
>Every mechanic has already been figured out and is well-known, so there's no point discussing anything furthermore
>The game is a "story generator", not a game, so you can't complain about anything except the story (which is also randomly generated so you can't complain about it either)
>The game's difficulty hasn't lowered over time, that's just a meme
>The game doesn't have serious FPS problems, exaggerating those is a meme
>If I don't like something, then it's a meme
>All memes are bad except "kill elf" which is hilarious
>The game is in alpha, so you can't say anything bad about anything
>If you have anything bad to say you can't say it anywhere except in the bay12 forums (this includes passing mentions of any bug, which are inherently a bad thing)
>If you know what bay12 is, you can't post here, you need to go back

With all these rules in mind, here are the /dfg/ approved topics to post about:
* The update

>Basically, I greatly increased the rate of homosexuality within soldier and worker castes
Pretty sure there's an asexuality rate you could have upped instead, which'd make way more sense

kill elf

desu I'd be fine with the homosexuality if they were yinglets
but then I'd fixate on why you modded yinglets in

Dude, calm down. People acknowledge DF has problems and that some mechanics aren't widely understood. It's still an alpha, so you can say whatever about it, it'll most likely be changed. It's more of a game to people who want the game aspect, and a story for the ones who want a story. Quit being retarded.

Way too true.
But seriously though, elves are inferior to Dwarves in this game, they're literal cannibals ffs

>spend more time planning your fort than playing the game

>Start fort
>Can't into A E S T H E T I C
>Retire

Elven women were made for the BDC. lil elf bois can't get it up for them so it's up to the Dwarves

>being this elflet
When will they learn?

>Big dwarf cok
Kind of contradicts itself, leave the elf fucking to the human degenerates anyway

>just lost whole fort of 20 dorf to a single werepig after he killed 3 skilled axedwarfs and then infected 10 more before being choked out by a 150 year old fish dissector who arrived a month before

>make excruciatingly picky embark
>back up save
>play for two hours
>not satisfied
>roll back save
>repeat until suicide

>one tick after embark
This is going to be a good fort.

Dwarf cock is probably T H I C C as fuck though.
I never thought I'd ever write that. I am horrified and ashamed of myself.

What happens if you pour magma over weapon traps?
Are the weapon traps destroyed?

You know how this works, you smaller you are the bigger it is. Also, Humans don't deserve those precious Elf Ears.

Why do you even need weapon traps if you have magma?

I want to watch the gobbos gib AND burn.

maybe lava for undead, traps for goblinite?

Hey, you still around? If so, I skimmed through your shit and there's a lot of mistakes/copy-paste errors, some of this shit I'm surprised even works. I would post it anyway for whenever you might be on, but it's a lot of stuff to get into, and I don't really want to bother unless you're here.

Hey anons, I come from Veeky Forums. Is Dwarf Fortress free, or do I have to pay to download it? Does it require an account, or can I play it offline without ever having to sign up for anything? How hard is it to get into this game for a newb?

Completely free. Doesn't require shit, 100% offline. Extremely. Google 'starting dwarf fortress' or some shit, there's plenty of guides on getting started.

Dorffort is 60 dollarydoos and the collector's edition is 120.

free

no account, all offline

follow the wiki and you'll do fine. Though I would additionally reccommend that you download DFhack and use the built-in Stonesense application just once so you can get a good idea of how everything fits together (ASCII can be disorienting if you're not used to roguelikes).

>implying this game is ever going to leave alpha
Top KEK

download the lazynewb pack aka starterpack

Thanks anons!

What can I do to enjoy the game? pretty much every fort I build up to a decent running level and then abandon it and start again. What kind of things do you guys do to make it interesting?

Self-delusion, mainly.

>Hey, you still around? If so, I skimmed through your shit and there's a lot of mistakes/copy-paste errors, some of this shit I'm surprised even works.

haha yeah I have no fucking idea what I'm doing. Once I get it to work I just don't touch it and hope nothing breaks.

I would post it anyway for whenever you might be on, but it's a lot of stuff to get into, and I don't really want to bother unless you're here.

I'd totally be down for some feedback. I really have no idea what I'm doing.

I

uh

huh.

what is this magical realm you have thrust upon me

Adventure. Do shit.

And then, write.

New to /dfg/ where can I watch the tournament?

It's written down. Dig through the Veeky Forums archive and search for /dfg/ threads, it'll be on the weekend days.

how do I add my adventurer I got him to max fighitng