Is it worth it?

So my family is going to help me pay for a car, and I found a new 2017 Mustang GT for $27.8k, and I was excited to get it, but my Asian dad isn't for American cars. He asked his car guy friend and they said I should get a WRX. Now, I have much respect for WRXs and I'd sure as hell take one, but dad said you gotta get an automatic. I share the belief that performance-oriented cars should have a transmission that you are fully incontrol of, but is the autotragic that bad?

Is an 2017 automatic WRX worth it? I plan on modifying/tuning it, once I learn how.

Other urls found in this thread:

lexus.com/build-your-lexus/#!/zip/90210/series/RC/year/2017/trim
veteransfordtampa.com/ford-mustang-gt-2017-tampa-fl-h5276071
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

how old are you

buy your own car. even if it means buying a civic for 3k.

>rich kid
>the car gotta be brand new and automatic
Lmao every time. Fucking waste of money.

18. I need a daily to commute to Uni (20 min drive with about half of it on a long road with some decent corners)

The CVT WRX is like having a slipping clutch. for around the same price you can get a lexus. it will suit the transmission to have a RWD drive train, plus its comfy, plus its still fast and fun. go for an LS300 user.

non bias report: currently drive 2015 wrx

Dude I'd rather have an NA miata but "SAFETY IS TOP PRIORITY" Dad wanted to get a Toyota Prius/CH-R which are meme cars.

Which model Lexus are you referring to?
Also, what do you mean by slipping clutch?

lexus.com/build-your-lexus/#!/zip/90210/series/RC/year/2017/trim

>slipping clutch

where giving it gas causes the rpm's to go up, but the car to not go faster/as fast as it should. it is not as responsive as a manual WRX and its durability/quality is woeful

Dang. Thanks for the input. Also, those are $40k+!

tell your father a lexus is a good investment for your safety, and it will bring women with good genes to you to breed with. good luck user

also, i thought you were rich? 40k is nothing

Definitively don't get a wrx with a CVT (automatic) . I've driven both and find the CVT infuriating. You could try to convince your dad to let you get a manual because they can save gas by not downshifting when you don't need to and can save brakes by using engine braking.

Ha, he is rich but I only have about $3k from Uni scholarships. Also, he drives a 2017 Civic base. (His idea of a good car is Toyota-tier reliability and prius-tier gas mileage). Although he can easily afford, he could care less about Mercedes Benz/BMW. And thank you.

Thanks, alright. I can try my best but I doubt it will work. Brb googling engine braking

One of the best parts of driving a manual is the fact that no one asks to borrow my car and jamal won't know how to steal my car.

A manual transmission can be more reliable as long as you know how to use it and aren't beating on it. However, you can fuck it up seriously if you don't know what you're doing and think you're billy badass.

BUY YOUR OWN CAR SO HE HAS NO SAY.

do not respond to bait.
friendly reminder to sage if you HAVE to

This isnt bait you fucking tard.

post your local craigslist.

prove it isn't.
also please reduce the toxicity of your language use.

"daddy wants to buy me a car for commuting and I want muh sports car, help me 4chins!!! ;___;"

bait.

Ask him for a used Lexus IS instead if you're forced into an automatic, I also have a CVT transmission (2008 Audi A4) and its fucking garbage.

Don't buy the CVT dude, especially if you're planning on modding it. You can't really do much past stage 1 on that thing. Also worse gas mileage, more expensive to buy and maintain, and heavier. The new WRX have hill assist, so it's basically driving a manual in ez mode anyway.

I have a 17 WRX Limited 6 speed and it is a great car. Comfy enough for friends/women, but fast and fun enough for me. Also reasonably practical, I can fit a ton of shit in it for weekend trips with friends, the rear seats go down all the way also. I have the MAPerformance stage 1 tune on now, planning on going Stage 2 eventually.

Where'd you find a 2017 Mustang GT for 27.8k? That's pretty cheap

Most WRXs are sold with the 6 speed for a reason. It is almost weird im so used to there being maybe one manual on the lot with most cars, yet with the wrx there is at most one CVT. Sabarus CVT is not bad, but it kills the point of the wrx. The wrx is not a high HP car so the CVT makes it much harder to get through to the engine. If you have to have an auto just get the mustang. The WRX will be worth much more down the line, but if you HAVE to get an auto, then just get a auto mustang and call it a day

Hello friend.
How do you like the MAP tune? I've been looking at an etune from Brentuning but also heard solid stuff from MAP.

>dad said you gotta get an automatic

Fuck you and your dad

I slash tires on auto WRXs

t. sti owner

I like it a lot, you definitely notice the difference between cobb and MAP stage 1. And if you're coming from stock it's basically like a whole new car. I may get a pro/etune eventually, but I'm pretty satisfied right now.

If you don't have an access port yet there's no reason not to try the MAP tune. If you buy the AP from MAP they give you their tune for free.

E D G Y

I kinda like have a place to live

>
pic related. Scroll up in the thread. I said i'll be dailying the WRX to uni. Thats my ID.

Cool thanks I'll look into it.

Seems like a great car. Yeah if I go for the WRX its going to be a manual.

veteransfordtampa.com/ford-mustang-gt-2017-tampa-fl-h5276071

Yeah see the auto mustang was the original compromise, but my dad talked to someone who's related to a guy that works at a ford factory and he said he will never buy a Ford product. He was already skeptic of the reliability on a domestic and this pushed him off the edge.

>pajeet

Abandon thread

>pajeet
>asian

go buy a tata pajit

congrats, you have eyes!

well they usually don't mention that their parents are buying the car and insist on parent like stipulations that show their hand. I think op is being pretty honest. you sound jelly af.

for op
nope on the cvt wrx since you want to mod it. Like the other guy said cvt wrx can only go so far safely. They have lower whp out of the box and with that don't tend to respond like their manual counterparts. So in other words, the money spent on a cvt will get you meh results where as the same amount of money spent on a manual will get you a very noticeable improvement.

Honestly if you can get your dad to go for the auto mustang gt, then go for it and don't look back.

I FUCKING KNEW IT

FUCKING KEKS BY YOUR OWN SHIT

Yeah, today Veeky Forums has pretty much convinced me to ditch the CVT WRX and push for the GT. I'm guessing the automatic on the GT isn't as bad as the auto variant on the WRX?

The GT has a torque converter auto instead of a CVT (continuously variable transmission) so it has real gearing instead of a mushy blob. Better yet just get a manual Gandhi, if you need to sell it to your mahatma just tell him manuals are more reliable and less likely to break down, plus it's a skill you have for the rest of your life.

Love the names, lol. That would be a good point. Thanks!

Nigga it gets less MPG than a fucking manual, you'd have to be a special kind of idiot to get such low MPG with a CVT.

ok n i g g a

Some other auto options you should look into are the Lexus IS
or should I steer you towards an Infiniti Q50? This car doesn't get enough credit
>AWD option
>V6 Twin Turbo at 300 or 400HP depending on engine choice
>7 speed automatic tranny, no CVT here
>Kinda sorta like a cheaper, less pigfat GTR
>4 doors are super practical
>depreciation hit these cars hard so they are super cheap for a pre owned model
Maybe try to aim for a preowned 400 Red Sport model

Regardless
A free car is an amazing gift for a new college student. You are absolutely blessed to have a parent well-off enough to pay for a relatively new car for their kid for college

I can not stress enough how grateful I am towards my family and their decision get me a car. Granted, they don't have to pay for my college.

Anyways, I've always like the style and performance of Infiniti, but pretty much everyone I talk to that know about cars say they're timebombs and fall apart after 150k miles. I also looked into the IS 250 F/ RWD but they only come with about 204 HP (out of a V6 go figure), and a reviewer said how they don't have enough power for 3900lbs.

IS 350s exist and I think that's what people in this thread are talking about

just call the dealer beforehand and say you want to test drive a 6 speed wrx and when you get there tell your dad they don't have any autos fuck that

Haha, that might be worth a shot, but he'll probably just walk away. The man wants an autotragic. Convincing him to get a manual will be difficult

What's your budget user, that would help us immensely in figuring out what you could probably get?

manual accord v6 for your rice-ass

Thanks for your help! Again, I'd rather buy a cheap NA miata or a shixbox civic and not be dependent...but whatever. Budget is less than $24,000.

If this is your first car and your parents are buying it for you just get something mundane and reliable. A Civic or Corolla is fine. Preferably get an used one, if not certified pre owned to appease your parents. With a basic no frills car you will understand truly why people love cars, and its not because of some numbers on a spec sheet. When you do get a performance car after driving an econbox for years on end, you will understand why those cars are so good intuitively and innately and not because some website says this or that is the best. Focus on school, get a good job and buy 14 miatas.

~~Bonus~~
The hardest pill to swallow: There will be time for cars in the future.

Quality advice user, thanks. I've made peace with the possibility that I might not get the OMG CAR OF MY DREAMS. I understand you point of view, and I can get behind that, if needed.

But the man will want to buy a new, automatic vehicle. Should I be okay with him spending 21k or so on a super practical/boring Kia Soul/Honda HRV/Toyota CHR?

That sounds pretty sweet. I'm really hesitant about OTS tunes, but MAP sounds like a solid starting point. Thanks man.

Mustang has hilariously bad crash test ratings
Plus it’s a shitty ford made for girls

So you’re literally a broke bench racer.

Man fuck Veeky Forums

WRXs have fucking insane insurance rates for young people. At 18 youd better off getting a shitbox.

Don’t get a sports car just get a 4 door comfort car. Wait till you start making money then you already have a DD you spent 0 dollars on and you can buy something fast/fun and used. Anything else and you’re a fool I apologize but you’ll forever regret having to compromise and get a shitty halfway sports car

split the difference and see if he'll do a honda hrv with a 5 speed. Yes, those come in manual and I was just as shocked when i saw one in a central FL honda dealer of all places. Its an import safe crossover that should check most of the boxes for your old man and you get to have a 3rd pedal.

The rest of those models you mentioned are cvt only i think.

oh wait that damn hrv is a 6 speed, neato. But the auto is a cvt, bleh.

>Florida

That GT probably has some flood damage

Just buy a Civic Si coupe.

Those are manual only, and maybe your dad won't think it's a crazy dangerous sportscar.

That's an interesting vocabulary word, user. Except I don't know what the fuck you mean.

Just bought an '18 WRX back in September.
Tbh it's all up to you my dude. WRX is kind of a more practical car as a daily in uni compared to the Mustang.
Imo I'd buy the WRX over the Mustang if you're wanting a quick practical daily but make sure it's the six speed and not the goddamn CVT. I test drove a CVT just to see if it was as bad as I heard and it's fucking terrible. If you wanna get an auto but not have a shit auto buy the Mustang or something else. CVT WRXs are literal shit.

this or the Civic Sport hatch if you can find/get one in a manual since the Sport hatches are kinda hard to find/get one.

also OP, add the GTI and Golf R to list, your dad will probably think they're just standard Golfs with different visual shit on them

I'm Asian. Call your dad a fucken Gook. WTF Automatic WRX? Auto really is bad for a car like this. You will always be regretful and when people see your car and then see it is a auto... oh man.

Just get a manual shit box. Your dad can't control you forever. You can always get a under 100k mile 2004 year mustang for like $2k. Just get a job.

I second this. I also feel like MAP is smoother to drive than Cobb and even gets better gas mileage.
MAP also has very good customer service

Yeah im not going for a CVT WRX, seems like a waste of money buying a "half sports car". A hot hatch would be nice. I have a job, but im also a full time student so I dont work many hours. Just some "pocket change" on the side. If it was up to me, I'd get a nice clean old miata or a used motorcycle for around 2k

Don't take shit from the people saying youre a fag for having your family help you out, it's their choice to do it so get yourself something nice just don't brag saying you got it yourself

Yeah you're right

my aw11 has never broken down on me and gets 35mpg easy

oh fuck scratch that I had to push start it once because the starter wire sheared in two

If limited to auto, I'd just get a comfy cruiser.

why don't you get what you want and buy it yourself? your faggot dad isn't going to kick you out. Besides, he should be happy he's saving money.

Let me work it. I put my Thang down, flip it and reverse it.

Your dad is probably one of those types who thinks he knows best and won't take any kind of lip from anyone he considers "below him" in the social hierarchy. Thus since either he can't drive stick well or he doesn't like it, then you're not allowed to either.

no
they're shit, boring, understeer, ugly, are owned by boy racer faggots, have a crap engine, the trannies are made of glass, and only dykes and vapers drive them.

VW GTI? They’re quite safe/reliable and the auto is almost as good as the manual.

the automatic is a CVT. Unless you wanna spend ridiculous amounts of money modifying that don't do it.

You're gonna be spending quite a bit more to modify a subaru than something with say an LS or Coyote to get the same horsepower less reliably, so if you're an 18 year old poorfag keep that in mind. As much as I love my WRX, EJ engines (in my case) are terrible for modification since they explode when you poke them at all but run forever stock. I've no real clue how the FA20 is but I've heard of issues as well.

I know WRXs have fantastic resale value but I don't think the same is with the automatics. If I were you, I would just take what you get then save up for a fun car so you have a reliable daily driver when you do get it. Believe me it saves so much headache.

Seconded, that is a fucking stealth enthusiast's car. V6 Sport model and the manual and you dad's gonna think it's a safe car. What could go wrong?

>tfw asian dad
>somehow on the topic of gasoline
>I get e85 because it's the cheapest lowest octane gas
>no dad, e85 is somewhere over 100 octane, e stands for ethanol
>it says 85 and it's cheaper so that makes it 85 octane

WRX was not even offered with an automatic until latest gen.

Are you dumb?

>he is rich but I only have about $3k from Uni scholarships
>parents are rich and successful
>their son is a fucking retard

holy fuck. How did you get no scholarships you moron?