Stage 1, Stage 2, What the heck does it even mean?

Stage 1, Stage 2, What the heck does it even mean?
I can get a company referring to their aftermarket parts in this manner to say: "our product is this close to being a racing part vs. DD part" or "this product of ours is of higher quality than the others".

But why refer to your car in a general sense as a "stage 2 tune" or whatever, there's no defined standard right?

Because video games

afaik stage 1 is bolt on (i.e. packs you can buy off ebay), stage 2 requires ecu tuning & perhaps other things to be upgraded and stage 3 is the kind of shit drag cars eat through in a day; extreme high performance with no reliability (at least for a road user, obviously pros with sponsors have the means to keep it going)

I've seen clutches go up to stage 6, and I've seen "stage 1 ECU tunes", and stage 1 turbos on NA cars.

A pathetic attempt to standardize boltons and tuning for normies.

If you can't list off what you've done, just say 'there's mods and it makes x power or laps x fast'.

for clutches its very specifically reffering to the pattern of the friction surface, a stage one clutch for instance is a fucking t, it will be a very rough engadgment. For other parts it kind of depends, stage 1 is easy boltons, stage 2 requires ecu tunes, stage 3 is custom work like ported heads. After that companies are just trying to bullshit you; if you are working on a subaru specifically, ill tell you a stage 2 is pretty common and pretty fucking worth it

In my opinion it's just a marketing tool. Arbitrarily set by each company. There are some general rules but mostly it's just an easy way for a company to assign "levels" of performance gain to their product

>Stage 1: clutch gives slight performance gains
>Stage 2: clutch gives serious gains
>Stage 3: clutch can be used on a top fuel dragster
>Stage 4: NASA uses this clutch on their shuttle
>Stage 5: Clutch operates in unknown physics phenomena
>Stage 6: Clutch is not a physical object but a concept involving space and time.

Stage 1 - stock replacement
Stage 2 - slightly better than stock
Stage 3 - 6 puck clutch
Stage 4 - unsprung 6 puck clutch
Stage 5 - 4 puck clutch
Stage 6 - unsprung 4 puck clutch

Just like when reading about oil

>This brand of oil is 90% better than the leading competitor at preventing ash build up
Well if the leading competitor prevents 99.97% of ash build up then this better one is like 99.983% which means nothing.

"Yo dude so I dropped in a stage 2 clutch and was doing a buck sixty while revving four grand and then pulled into a sick drift" this is what I hate about car people. Stop trying to use slang to sound cool.

its dumb speak for IDIOTS

if you dont know actual specifications of parts/kits idiot shops marketing it as "stage x" for a set kit

when ever someone mentions "Ya, its got a stage 2 from blah blah blah" my eye glaze over as i ask them what does that mean. They usually can't tell me what was done to it aside from pulling up the site where they bought it from. And the ones that can tell me what was changed i ask "well why didn't you say so". And to that they respond "well i didn't want to say all of that. Its just what is know as stage herp for a 5th derp" And to which I tease "well how am i supposed to know what stage is what for that. I asked what you did to it and im interested enough to hear you explain beyond 'oh you know, stage derr'."

this.

Kinda like how Apple always says 'THIS MACBOOK IS 60% FASTER THAN THE PREVIOUS MACBOOK'. No tests, no benchmarks, just 60% faster than its own product, not the competition. Hype for the sake of hype, numbers for the sake of numbers.

if i said stage 2 wrx then thats pretty fucking set among the industry, CAI turbo back and tune

If you buy a stage 2, you say stage 2. If you buy whatever parts you want, you say which parts you bought.

The 'stage' shit is gamer-tier garbage, there is no industry standard for it so it is incredibly ambiguous.

>tfw you will never double clutch a space shuttle
why live?

if someone ask you what you've done to it why not have a bit of a conversation other than spouting buzz words. Not everyone will know what you mean by stage 26 (unless they're intimate with your particular platform) but most will understand basic things. And hell if they don't know the basic then be nice and teach em a thing or two rather than hold tight to your in the know lingo.

t. wrx owner
cai, turbo back, and a tune is considered to be stage 2+ from cobb which makes shit even more cryptic. It really comes down to where you bought it so you might as well just say what you got rather than try to macro it.

anyone that goes by stages marks themselves as a sucker that checked off all the boxes on the cobb web store and overpaid for bent tubes and a glorified rasberry pie.

stage dick in your mouth

There's no standard between cars, even within the same make or model it'll mean different things

why no multiplate clutches?

This 10000000000000%. It's purely a naming gimmick

>Tfw you will never bang shift a shuttle into a sick drift, which kills everyone on board

>he doesn't have stage 3 cams
It's like you don't want to go fast

it's to appeal to people who play too much Gran Turismo, since in that game all the tuning bits are arbitrary power-ups and not actually changing the type of part in place.

There is no universal meaning to the term, it just means you have a way of differentiating products within the range of a single company at a glance. There is no relation between products of different companies. Its just a way of saying "This product of ours is a little more racy and a little less street friendly than that product of ours".

>tfw used an unsprung 6 puck clutch on a DD once
never again

what's the difference between a sprung and unsprung clutch? Does the unsprung one grab more suddenly?

you do realise that real life is not Veeky Forums and when you do shit like that you pass as an obnoxious asshole, right?

It's usually because people are used to talking to others with similar knowledge of the car they happen to own. I.E. 2015+ WRX guys always talk to other 2015+ WRX guys so they use the same terminology.

Like stage 1 is just an ECU tune on stock hardware, mostly. Stage 2 is like anything with a new downpipe involved and Stage 3 is where it gets kind if fuzzy - I dunt think I've really seen people use that term. Basically, once you've gotten to the point where you've replaced the turbo or have done anything with the internals you're no longer "stage 2".

It makes sense for the WRX since everyone insists that ECU adjustments are required for any mods that make a difference, so if ECU tuning is basically always required unless it's a cosmetic or noise-maker mod then stock hardware + a tune might as well be stage 1.

That seems to be the pattern with most FI cars since you can just ECU tune to crank up the boost and modify other behaviors.

It helps reduce chatter since there's a little bit of give to the clutch plate when it makes solid contact with the flywheel.

yeah i know. I banter a bit to get people to come out of their shells, otherwise people just mean mug each other from across the parking lot.
I mostly paraphrased and memed the back a forth for the sake of Veeky Forums. It was all light hearted teasing and boiled down to me genuinely asking about his car beyond just a few words. And when he caught on that i was just teasing he opened up and started telling me stories. So i wasn't sperging out at strangers like i am now.

Most of the time people are too fucking serious at meets and tend to put up a front or think they have to act the part when they're at these kind of things.

it's ricer nonsense mostly. Pay attention to the style of disc and clutch spring pressure.

What was bad about it?
I have an unsprung organic disc with no marcel spring in my dd and it's cool. Though I imagine the ceramic pucks would grab harder.

>sister's bf has a del sol
>he told me he'll have a Skunk 2 mod installed
>ask him wtf that is and all he could tell me is that it's an upgrade.
>didn't really ask for much more because I hate it when he starts talking about his Hondurr and how it's so fast and good...
I google skunk2 and I see that it's a company that makes pretty much every performance part for Honda.

This is the reason why after market parts lower the value of the car.

>Stage 1, Stage 2, What the heck does it even mean?

Japanese memes turned into snapback vaper memes that took it seriously