Precious Metals General /PMG/

Deals edition! Apmex is selling 10 ounce bars at 29 cents over spot, a great deal if anyone wants some:

apmex.com/product/21/10-oz-silver-bar-secondary-market?_campaign=03012017product21#product-reviews

ITT We talk about precious metals, circlejerk over user's stacks, and contemplate the end of the financial world/and/or marginal financial gains, whatever you're here for.

Whats new, stackerbros?

Other urls found in this thread:

gainesvillecoins.com/
sdbullion.com/
jmbullion.com/
apmex.com/
goldsilver.com/hidden-secrets/
youtube.com/watch?v=E5VNAEmmBQM
andorrano-joyeria.com/precio-del-oro
degussa-mp.es/es/index.aspx
burbuja.info/inmobiliaria/bolsa-e-inversiones/274956-hilo-compra-y-venta-de-oro-y-plata-foreros-iii-300.html
youtu.be/nsY2EeUuLj8
muenzeoesterreich.at/
providentmetals.com/1-oz-999-fine-silver-rounds-our-choice.html
providentmetals.com/100-oz-999-fine-silver-bar-our-choice.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Feeling buttflustered that I have to pay VAT on my silver here in Yurop.

Cant you buy coins without paying that? I think an user in teh last thread said something about it being VAT free in Estonia?

Some would be angry that the price of silver is going down, but I'm actually happy. This is a good opportunity for new stackers to start collecting. An order I'm reviewing went down over $40 overnight. I can't say that it will go lower, but now is an excellent time to pick up a few ounces.
Also thanks OP for making this a thing.

Here are some sites that I peruse for US Anons:
gainesvillecoins.com/
sdbullion.com/
jmbullion.com/
apmex.com/

Mike Maloney from Gold&Silver is an excellent resource to understand the market.
goldsilver.com/hidden-secrets/

And a video of Mr. Maloney explaining the practicality of Gold & Silver
youtube.com/watch?v=E5VNAEmmBQM

>You can't eat gold.
Why do nonstackers always think we're prepping for a zombie apocalypse?

It's vatfree in Estonia, but the shipping costs rapes you unless you buy huge amounts every time.

True, can you (legally) go pick it up and bring it back? I'm sure it might be a pain in the ass, but if you're seriously looking to buy a lot (like $20k or something) it might be well worth a weekend trip to some Estonian dealer.

I could easily do that. But if I wanted to buy 20k, I'd just pay for shipping. It's just that if I want to buy 10-15 ounces, shipping would be a large percentage of the price. Much less so if I wanted to buy 1000 ounces.

If I ever visit Estonia, I do plan to buy a few pounds of silver.

Because dumb cunts gonna dumb cunt.

It's a way of retaining and gaining purchasing power and wealth, a hedge against inflation. That's about it.

Japanese video game from 2000 gives a good synopsis on why to stack

1/3

2/3

3/3

what game

dark cloud on ps2

Anyone pick up any deals today since the price of gold and silver went down? I picked up some philharmonics. Hoping to pick up some more while the economy is seeming to do well.
Gold is money, a dollar is currency. The point still stands. I think of precious metals as insurance, it just depends on what timeline you're operating under.

based Japanesebros

Why do most people feel like they "don't need" gold and silver?

I was the same, I used to say that I "dont need" a gun... Now I'm a silver stacking /k/ommando.

>tfw

This might be of some help for spanish fags such as myself
My personal favourite and the best price for your buck in bullion at unbeatable prices is
andorrano-joyeria.com/precio-del-oro
They also are an over the counter shop so if you live in barcelona forget about shipping fees you can buy there,owner usually goes to forums and is really nice guy,absolutely cheapest prices I found.
If you live in madrid there is also
degussa-mp.es/es/index.aspx
This is a well known german company,coins are more expensive and somewhat in line with other companies,good thing is over the counter huge store in madrid so no fees,and best price in bars them nazi gold..
If you're spanish fag I recommend this forum,you'll meet very very knowledgeable guys,some pros,some dealers some investors and gold bugs in general who can teach you everything you can ever need,pro tips,be polite and you'll get lots of great advice,some people are there with a life time experience in the trade...great thing is you can meet and buy from them,so expect no taxes,and spot prices every now and then... always check for olddogs with a good reputation as trustworthy
burbuja.info/inmobiliaria/bolsa-e-inversiones/274956-hilo-compra-y-venta-de-oro-y-plata-foreros-iii-300.html

It was me usually they sell if vat is 21 %they will sell at 20% price over spot less you know people there

I picked up 2 of APMEX’s 10 ounce bar deals yesterday. Great deal!

Commencing small dump of my stack circa early 2016

fin.

Any attraction to sunshine silver besides their price? Sweet stack user

What kind of place do I go locally to sell physical gold that I bought online?

The security micro-engraving and decoder lense makes it easy to prove authenticity.

Respectable stack

what do you all think of the Geiger bars? worth the extra price or no?

also whens the next run to 40$? this year? lol

1/10th ounce rounds are just soo nice to have

How's the premium on those 1/10ozt rounds?

What's the best way to have silver to run your hands through? I've been thinking of buying a whole bunch of really rough Morgan's for the purpose but the generic silver on APMEX looks easier to liquidate.

Ah, Apmex's sale ended, they're back to 79c/ounce over, OR MORE. No longer a good deal...

Anyone get in on them while they were 29 cents over?

Didn't get the deal, and paid $1.90 over like a chump, but I did pick up rounds when silver went down to $17.90 an ounce, so I saved a bulk of shekels with that.

Ouch user, $1.90 over is enough premium to buy virtually any beautiful niche bar, and some coins are only $2 over whrn new...

For 75 cents or 89 cents or so, sometimes even 69, you can get generic 1 ounce tounds new from JMB's sales section. Theyre almost always having this deal.

For new anons here, Apmexs regular pricing isnt very goid normally. Unless theyre having a sale (which they do god-tier quite often), metal is always cheaper at JMB or provident

They were Philharmonics, so yeah, I did pay a pretty good premium on them. They're the only special silver coin that I'll buy
>Provident
Thanks, I remember seeing that site somewhere and completely forgot about it.

If you bought Philharmonics for $1.90 over you did just fine IMHO. I thought you bought dusty old 10 ounce bars for that haha

This is my little jew cache.

About 20 ounces silver and a little bit of 14k in jewelry gold and random foreign money.

Shooting for 50 ounces silver and about 3 ounces gold by mid year.

Not bad user. Why so much gold? I think a lot of people have like a 50:1 or 70:1 ratio

Picture is just my gold bullions circa 2013. Should probably get around to making new photos which aren't blown the fuck out and reflect my current collection.

Also have bars and a bunch of collector coins. Currently sitting on 2,132.816 grams of gold according to my spreadsheet. At today's spot that would put it right around 80k EUR - collectors' value should be substantially higher. Also sitting on ~4.2 kg silver, mostly inherited coins. Fuck silver. It's just bulky and never really goes anywhere. Silver bullion is a recent idea that is at least theoretically viable (if VAT didn't make it a god-awful investment for me), but the metal value in all my old silver coins never comes close to matching the nominal value, let alone the collectors' value (most of them are Proof). Just as a metal it's an industrial raw material, not an investment as far as I'm concerned.

I usually buy straight from the mint, since I happen to be living in Austria. It's arguably not the cheapest, but I really appreciate having no hassle and complete confidence in not getting scammed. Also, being a decade-long customer, I often get first row on really good rare issuings with them.

I have no illusions. This is basically all lost money to me. I'm probably never going to sell, even though I own duplicates of most stuff I've bought in the last decade. But I don't stockpile either. I don't believe in a currency crash or whatever goldbugs fear. I just collect nice shiny coins with money I don't need.

So, is silver/gold actually worth investing in? I don't see the returns being better than putting the money into a fund, unless something insane happens.

Physical gold not a main investment by any means. You'll find hardly anyone recommending putting more than 10% of your net worth into it. Anything beyond 20% is probably deeply unwise.

But it is still worth investing in as it's an essential part of a balanced portfolio. Gold is a hedge. Traditionally it has moved anti-cyclical to the stock market. Since it goes up in times of crisis and uncertainty, it helps stabilize your net-worth long-term and provides you with an asset you can sell when you need money and all your funds just tanked last month.

There is no single best investment. It's the mixture that makes it work.

Just picked up pic related today, this is my only silver besides an old quarter I found. Paid $20 each (owner of local store charges $2 over spot), is that decent?

Totally! Theyre usually $3-4 over spot online so I think you got a great deal, and probably a good shop too if they gave you a deal and didnt try to take advantage of your newness.

Congrats user. I bought some ugly ass genaric secondary market rounds for $19.80 each last year when i was new, like a retard, so at least you got sweet coins for the price. Did you ring them together yet? Silver Eagles have the nicest sound of any coin Ive seen.

what's that stuffed toy there? Do you fuck it

Its head fucks him ;)

Reposting a bunch of my stuff lying in my room to look at once in a while.
I'm maybe different from others in that i like coins more than bars.

my favorite silver coin.

And some of my gold before i put them away. Too valuable to leave them lying around.

This one is pretty too, for a bar.

Very beautiful, I think the gold accentuates it also.
Pretty, I'm considering setting out the dosh for a Year of the Rooster for my birth year.

youtu.be/nsY2EeUuLj8

I am almost afraid to buy gold and silver with beautiful designs on it, because I feel that I will see it more as a collectible as opposed to a hedge. It would make me not want to sell if the time ever came, I would imagine.

So buy non-serialized rounds that feature only the mint's logo. You get to buy silver without having to part with fancy pieces later.

That's exactly what I do. It is also cheaper.

Sunshine has become my favorite.

1. cheaper (usually a lower over spot price)
2. nice simple design
3. valid anti-fraud mark

Well this year is the year of rooster so rooster themed coins will be plenty and only at around spot price.
Usually Perth Mint is the one who always releases pretty looking coins.

>mfw my grandpa bought a lot of gold for me in the late 90ies

germans sell it vat free as 2nd hand
i wouldnt suggest buying much silver beyond yearly coin mints for resale in the future.

gold bullion items are much more efficient for personal holds

Where is the best place to sell your precious metals? I really don't feel like taking 30k worth to the local coin shop and make an old man fork all of it up.

>I usually buy straight from the mint, since I happen to be living in Austria.
Is it really that much cheaper?
I'd assume all of the big box retailers (Ögussa/Degussa/…) should be having the same, rather high prices.
Where do you buy?
Do they have a store in Wien?

> Currently sitting on 2,132.816 grams of gold
Damn.
But why?

>I just collect nice shiny coins with money I don't need.
Ah, I see. Yeah, why not.

Coin shops are best though. If you don't want to carry 30k+ in silver make multiple trips one weekend so spot price doesn't move while you're in transit.

If you sell to a website you'll need to pay for shipping and insurance which cuts into your payout. If you sell to a private buyer you're subject to haggling, and if the private buyer is not close by you'll be paying for shipping and insurance.

Shipping it away leaves a paper trail for the tax man. The argument could be made that buying online leaves a paper trail anyway, but if the government comes to confiscate (re: 1933 confiscation) you can claim that you used your silver stock to settle private debts, and that you did not issue or receive any receipts. Once it's on record of being sold, though, the tax man will relentlessly try to collect capital gains tax.

I suppose I am too empathetic in my dealings, but what can I say? I'm a people person.

>Where do you buy?
>Do they have a store in Wien?
One in Vienna and one in Innsbruck, plus they have a webshop. You can also enter what's basically a subscription and they'll just send you the invoice whenever a new coin comes out on a series you're subscribed to. After you pay, they send you the coin (or they'll just reserve it and you pick it up with cash in one of their shops - great on series that keep selling out pretty quickly).

>Is it really that much cheaper?
Like I said, probably not if you only want to buy gold as close to spot as possible. If you want to buy newly launched editions they can be cheaper, since resellers would add their margin on top, plus the subscription gives you a fixed price on the date the invoice is printed. So if gold soars afterwards you can still pick it up cheaply.

>But why?
It happened, I guess. The stuff just builds up over the years. The big step in putting serious money into it came 2009, when I bought one of the 20 ounce commemorative Philharmonics (old picture related). 622g of gold in one coin pushed my total pretty high. It's weird. It cost me ~15.5k EUR, so 775 per ounce, but that included a 10% mark-up on spot I believe. Crazy to think that just two years later gold hit like 1,300 EUR per ounce. I joked at the time that the thing was the best damn investment of my whole life, but since I never sold the annual ROI keeps declining with every year passing and gold going sideways.
Then again I have no clue how much above spot they are traded since only 6,027 were minted and they all sold out.

picture of the other side

In my opinion, if the old man isn't willing to pay you for your PMs he has no business owning a coin shop.

For me as well, same reasons.

The other shop I go to is full of faggots and will only pay $2.00 for foreign coins/bars of any kind, regardless of metal type (no they do not specifically advertise to be a purely American coin shop either). I don't want to get $2.00 for my Maples...

>will only pay $2.00 for foreign coins/bars of any kind, regardless of metal type
Those faggots are not an option.

Any jewelers in the area?

why does it say 2000 euro on it?

It's 20ozt. 1ozt coins are usually $50-$100 so the math checks out.

Because everything the Austrian mint issues has to be Austrian legal tender.

Since they can never sell anything below nominal value (it would be a guaranteed loss and literally free money for the buyers), they have to take care that the metal value is always bigger than the nominal value. So they put comparatively small nominal values on coins to ensure they can still sell them even if the metal tanks. The nominal value is only meant as a absolute bottom safeguard against complete devaluation. If tomorrow everyone decided that gold is worthless, the government would still have to take back the coins for their nominal value, so they try to keep it low.

Since the 1 ounce Philarmonic is issued at 100 EUR (picture related; used to be 2000 ATS before the introduction of the Euro), it makes sense to issue the 20 ounce Philharmonic at 2,000 EUR.

If you want to see it getting weird: When they came up with the new 1 ounce silver Philharmonics they settled on 1.5 EUR as the nominal value, because they needed something really low and 1 and 2 EUR are already normal coins in the Eurozone.

The Austrian philharmonics are beautiful, and best of all they don't have the wicked witch Queen Elizabeth on it. Hag looks like George Dubya.

Do you know what year they switched?

Switched from what to what? They newly introduced silver Phiharmonics in 2008. Before that the Austrian Mint didn't issue silver bullion at all.

BUMP

Must bump as well, been a while since I've had a good PM discussion.

Whats the thing you all wanna put lots of back this year? Honestly I might buy some platinum, looking at the charts I think its hopefully done going down, and has more potential than silver/gold

I mean I collect bourbon-barrel aged wine but I don't expect to sell it.

My dad, my brother, and I are talking about splitting the cost of some undeveloped land. I want to start a TD Ameritrade account this month or next and I plan to buy some REIs and tech stocks.

Otherwise, I'm scrapping copper wire and aluminum in my remaining spare time.

What've you got your eyes on?

>otherwise, I'm scrapping copper wire and aluminum in my remaining spare time.
A guy I work with used to be employed at a junkyard and once every week or so his manager would have some of the workers gather all of the computer cables they could find and toss them in a big drum full of concentrated nitric acid for a few days. Is that akin to what you do? I'm not really sure on the viability of it but my coworker said his boss wouldn't have been doing it if he wasn't making a fairly large sum of money.

I didn't know that jewelers would buy metal. I am sure it would be different form company to company, but would you need to have your metal's purity certified in those cases?

Anyone in this thread a collector of old coins? Not so much the silver eagles of today but the Morgans and such of yesterday. I recently bought a binder of some 80 foreign coins at a junk store in the town in which I live and there are some nice silver pieces in it. Nothing worthwhile really (save for a few interesting defective Canadian cents from '53) but the silver stuff in it is nice and shiny.

I started by collecting scrap wire from my job and turning it in as "dirty copper". After a bit of research I learned the scrapyard pays double if it's " clean copper" so I built myself a wire stripping bracket that really helps to streamline the process and now I run all my scrap wire through that before turning it in.

I have a small foundry at my house that I built myself. Would they possibly pay more for ingots, or just random scrap (that is clean, as you said).

What's your foundry set up like? That's really interesting.

It's just one of those steel bucket forges that runs off of propane. There are plenty of YouTube videos out there about it. I also bought a 1L crucible to go with it. I used to melt down aluminum cans from my uni, and then lathe them down into bars for our machine shop.

>Pic related

That is incredibly interesting. What would you do with the aluminum bars?

I will check these videos out. I work at a aerospace factory and foundry and have access to a large amount of lathes and grinding equipment. There's also a lot of aluminum bars there but the only use for them aside from propping up parts is striking an arc on them and seeing the weird way they melt.

The bars I just would keep as "emergency" bartering material incase SHTF. As for other uses, I would also pour a rough cylinder and lathe it down into filler rod. Our school's machine shop is always full of people learning how to TIG, as well as doing senior design stuff. Sometimes our automotive racing team would use it as parts, but the quality of the aluminum you get is mediocre and needs to be refined/heat treated to be improved.

Do you think you could melt down silver coins and such and cast them into bars?

>coins
Those are worth too much money for me to risk fucking up. I would prefer just to use scrap silver, and then do an investment casting of a ring or something. Theoretically, yes, I could cast coins into bars however.

So where are the best deals per ounce right now, since the sale is gone? And how often/ for how long did/does it last?

I assume it's this one?!: muenzeoesterreich.at/
With their shop at the Heumarkt? Might check it out when I have to go to the big, bad city a few times next month.

Also:
Those pictures!
It should not amaze me that much, but it still does, that a small hunk of some yellow metal is worth that much. It certainly is big for a gold coin, but just purely as an object, it is actually not that large.
Enjoy it!

JM Bullion has a deal where new buyers can buy 10x 1ozt rounds at spot price. They also have weekly sales.

Right now they're selling 1ozt SMI Morgan rounds for only $0.79 over spot.

I live in portugal and have no idea how to get some gold bars besides getting jewed at buy-sell gold places.
Considering some virtual gold if it dips.

You probably can buy them at a bank. Not every branch will have some stocked, but I'd assume that you can "order" them. Maybe you have to be a customer of the bank to start with.
It'll probably be expensive, but might be better than the bey-sell gold places. Those are fishing for people selling gold, without any clue about it's worth, but I'm pretty sure that when it comes to selling the stuff, they know pretyy well what it's worth.

Are estate sales a thing in Portugal? If so I'd check them for 14k/18k gold and sterling silver jewelry.

This famalam. Buy those 10 ounces first, then the best thing you can do is:
1) Watch these sales. They're usually only average, but can still save you some money
2) Sign up for APMEX's email list - they have god tier flash sales every week or two. Last week I bought a handful of 10 ounce silver bars for $0.29 over spot!

Provident metals has secondary market rounds even cheaper than JMB right now:
providentmetals.com/1-oz-999-fine-silver-rounds-our-choice.html

And if you want to buy a big bar (harder to sell, easier to impress people with lol) they have those for $0.59/over:
providentmetals.com/100-oz-999-fine-silver-bar-our-choice.html

This is good anons - keep the deals links coming.