/LG/ - Lada General

/LG/ - Lada General

Previous thread: →

Welcome: Cars from ex-Soviet Union, Yugoslavia and the old Communist Bloc.

Get comfy, post experiences, advice and pictures of your commie shitboxes.

How do y'all deal with winter and salt on the roads? Just lock up your commie shitboxes for the entire winter?

There are couple of ways of defeating this issue. Either wash it regularly and during summer time, wax it and wax it good. Or just wash the it from bottom to top and then use some paint to cover the all-ready-lost-rust-protection areas with paint or some other coating.

bulgarian immigrant in the US here, what would be the best way to import one of these for nostalgia sake

I have a spot in a dry, heated garage with a car wash at the entrance to get all the snow and salt off.
This shit costs more than a couple pristine Ladas though.

>Just lock up your commie shitboxes for the entire winter?
The owner of the parking spot next to mine used to do this with his 80s meme Volvo, even put it on little jack stands to protect the tires and suspension. Now he has a shiny new XC90, and he still does this.

>posting lowered Zhigulis
GTFO, you heretic. Why would remove the one of the key functionalities of these cars?

my ex

Brezhnev's offroad Volga M24.

I'm thinking of just washing it regularly. I'm just using my Lada for groceries and the like so I drive 30~ km at best every week. Wonder if just simply standing outside without driving could do any harm.

Fug, that pic is fucking amazing.
Isn't it your best bet to simply buy a Lada that is in the US already?

So what's your take on it? You think it's a meme?

Yugo?

Canada here-can we still import Lada Nivas? What would be the best way to get one? All I can find are clapped out Tremcladded rusty shitboxes here.

Reminder that all cars from former Communist Bloc countries are welcome.

US ones are like 10k at the least, they go for 1-2k in yurop

>So what's your take on it? You think it's a meme?

What exactly is a meme? Not driving in winter? Well that certainly preserves the car, and you can save on winter tires too.

I mean locking up your car during the entire winter. Is that a meme? Seems like a bit too much to me, idk.

Well, Soviet people did it all the fucking time, not least due to a massive shortage of winter tires.

Yeah, I heard of that. Massive shortage of everything, really :^)
I don't think people could be arsed to remove rust so they just wanted to prevent it.

You can't just "remove rust", you need at least primer and paint, and in severe cases replacement pieces to weld in, but -
>Massive shortage of everything

Hell, the Soviet Union did not have any car service facilities for the common folk until the 70s - everyone was supposed to fix their car by themselves.

Yeah, exactly. You think the average Vladimir had time to do that?

>You think the average Vladimir had time to do that?
As a matter of fact, yes. With limited working hours (since you could only work one job, no more, no less) and not much entertainment available, tinkering with the car, preferably with some friends and booze for good measure, was one of favorite pastimes.

What's the difference between neutral and non-aligned?

Neutral are countries are neither West or East, and are, as the name suggests, 'neutral' to both.

Non-Alligned countries consciously didn't identify with West nor East and openly denounced them both.

Wish there was an active Lada scene where I live. Would love to get together with fellow Lada owners and kinda just fuck around with them.

>Yugo?
No, it is Lada 2114

How was the ground clearance on that (Samara 2)?
They lowered on later models of VAZ-21093 as well as VAZ-21083.

въpни ce и взeми нocтaлгиятa oт пъpвo лицe, вcичкo e кaтo пpeди 30 гoдини

It's not like they are "functional" at all in today's world. Why not have some fun with them? They are really slow, smell like exhaust, break down all the time, need constant attention. You wouldn't daily drive a '57 Chevy Bel Air, would you?

Pretty sure half of Europe would disagree with you

They are not half as bad as you claim them to be. Sure they're not that functional and largely fun but if you take proper car of them they take you from A to B as any car would.

"Half of Europe" has not owned a Lada.
Based on your personal experience? My dad, both grandpas, and father in law were/are always fixing something on their ladas. Only my FIL still owns one, and he spends half a day "getting it ready for the road" each time he takes it out.

Have either of you owned one? I have at least driven a couple.

bump, I love these threads. Top comfy.

I own one, and so did my family.
I drive mine for weeks without attention. Every now and then something needs to be adjusted but overall all attention is minor, the most mayor thing probably being replacing the battery after I left the headlights on for too long in a retarded episode, but that is entirely my fault.
My family used to own Ladas during Soviet times and their only complaint about them was how uncomfortable they were compared to modern cars, but my Lada is pretty comfy.

Same dude. Any experiences with commie shitboxes?

Winter aesthetics

>Porsche
get outta here western scum

You do know that Lada Samara was partially designed by Porsche, right?

Oh, really? Well, the 2101 was also partially designed by Fiat so there's that.
I wish there were more aesthetic Samara pictures but they just don't have the appeal classic Ladas have.

The Soviets took Fiat 124 and did couple of improvements to be usable in Russian conditions. This included bigger heater element, high ground clearance and upper camshaft (original Fiat 124 had it below even thought they designed so that it would have upper camshaft). I'm not too informed of the original Fiat 124 features so I guess the soviets also improved its reliability and make it maintenance-free.

Samara in the other hand, got help from Porsche to make it even more reliable. After all, normal citizens were its target group, unlike Niva.

>I wish there were more aesthetic Samara pictures

The Lada Niva is absolutely amazing.
They still make them new and i can get them in my country for as low as 8000 Euro's.
You can even get an LPG installation as an option.
The thing won't do off-road as well as the Wrangler, but it's not far off - and with mods it might even be better. It is bare-bones but it's not made to be comfortable. The new wrangler will set you back 44000 and it's off road capability is similar to a modded Niva which would be 4 times cheaper. I also sorta like it's old design, but that's subjective.

Stancefags are already the scum of Veeky Forums, but stanced rusty Samaras are a whole new low.

i found one, i think, it's pretty cool

Sorry bro. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I'll see if I can find some with podnatiye pruzhini chtob deushka na dachu stroi-materiali vozil. ;)

Beetlejuice?

This may be more your style? muh stock ride height

>thicc ride height

Ok, done dumping for now. I never paid much attention to 2108s before, but I'm starting to really appreciate some of them.

Thanks to its high, Samara's ride will be smoother than a mercedes because the suspension system has more space to move. Don't forget tires, along with the seats, it's pretty unbeatable compo of sweet ride and brutal look.

All monsters still have a heart, either the metaphorical or physical one.

Sad thing that my country didn't import any Russian cars after the fall of the SU and I can just find one 1988 Samara online for 400€, all dusty and (presumably) fucked up.

MY DEVYATOS IS A WILD DOG

Only Russian cars worth buying are Soviet made. 90s Ladas were bad because it was quite hard time for all industries so they started to cut corners and thus Ladas became shitty rusting buckets.
Lada is worth to buy if you are willing to learn welding as well as other car repairing. Just go to ladapower.com and start ordering some metal parts to get rid of the rust if it has gone too deep. TIG is your friend.

Damn, that is a great site! Thanks man, I'll certainly put it up to use in my 2106.

How hard is it to get an export from Europe? I’m Canadian, and I had an old Niva years ago up in Yellowknife. I’m gonna be replacing my Dakota soon and was thinking of a newer Niva.

>бългapи
>в Veeky Forums
ябaa

бaмп )))))

Бългapитe ca caмo в митoлoгиятa нa Чeтиpи Чaн.

Кaк e cлaдки?

Дoбpe e, кaк e хaвaтa?

>tfw it takes long for your car to start because it's cold outside and everybody in the supermarket parking lot is staring at you

This way you'll grow some balls of steel.

How so? Because I'm able to turn my wrist in a manner that moves the key and turns on the engine?