Albion Online General /ALBG/

>What is Albion Online?
From their website: "Albion Online is a sandbox Massively Multiplayer Online Game set in an open medieval fantasy world. It has a fully player-driven economy; all equipment items are player-crafted. You can freely combine armor pieces and weapons in our unique classless system – you are what you wear. Explore the world and tackle challenging PvE content. Engage other adventurers in small- or large-scale PvP, and conquer territories. Gather. Craft. Trade. Conquer. Leave your mark in the world."

>Is it F2P
Albion uses a Buy2Play model with an optional subscription. Additionally, depending on what you buy, you could possibly start playing on an earlier release day.

>When can I play?
Albion follows a tiered release, depending on which pack you buy.
It release on:
17th July, at 13:00 UTC: Legendary Founders and Legendary Starters
18th July, at 13:00 UTC: Epic Founders and Epic Starters
19th July, at 13:00 UTC: Veteran Founders and Veteran Starters

>Guilds
Currently, the only Veeky Forums guild playing is Baka
joinbaka.com
discord.gg/Tn5P373

>Builds
albiononline.com/en/characterbuilder/solo-builds

>Guides/Info/DBs
albionhead.com/en/
albionhelper.com/
forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Board/75-Beginner-s-Questions/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y8pLuByuXbE&t
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

dead game doesnt deserve a general. its a fucking tablet game

It opens up in a few hours user. What would be some games you suggest in the meantime?

shoudlnt this game go in mmorpg gen

I'm pretty keen

Giving it another shot before looking at alternatives.
Lot of people in past betas lost a lot of desire to play due to "our next release is launch for sure!" for a solid year and a half. It was like every 3 months was like that but I can safely say the game is in the best state its ever been in thanks to randomly occurring things in zones like chests and hellgates mixed in with pvp shenanigans

Alright give me 3 reasons to give a damn about another generic mmo

>watch a youtube video about the game
>it starts up with literally making a bullshit "you can do anything :^)" pitch

I am not impressed.

>muh crafting

Is this an EVE style 'economic players shape the economy' thing or a shitty survival game 'everyone is stuck crafting their own stuff for themselves' thing?

EVE thing, with the tedious travel system being even worse!

Wait wait, hold up..
>the game has glaives
>the game has the absolute best most stylish pole weapon ever created

This is actually tempting. Is anyone here actually familiar with the game mechanics? How would one go about making best use of a glaive?

Combat lacks depth and PvP doesn't exist so do whatever you want. Glaives are just reskins of swords.

Threads for this will probably never be sustainable. Why shitpost on Veeky Forums when you can shitpost in global chat?

>pvp doesnt exist
Thanks for the thread bump i guess

Glaive has some CC and deals large damage when staying on someone
Also what determines the skills you can use is based on the kind of glaive you have. Typically for every weapon you have several types which are similar stats but just different skills as all your skills in the game come from your gear.

im on the fence. I was all ready to go ahead and buy the $100 pack, but then i saw a long thread about LP and alts and some dev totally ignoring everybody and now i dont know..

If you're on the fence for sure do not pay for the $100 pack. The benefits really only boil down to playing two days early and cosmetics. Youll miss out on some early early base building but youll still get to experience 99% of it.
Also its a pretty typical mmo community so tiny things are blown out of proportion.

The arguments good though.

If i wanted to play an alt switching game i would play EVE. I specifically quit eve because i did not like being pressured to run alts.

Now the forums are full of people talking about optimizing their alt strategy while simultaneously disingenuously claiming you 'dont need to use alts'. Yeah, you dont have to eat either, youll just die. There is no point in playing a game if you are at a disadvantage from the start, so for a serious powergamer the question of what you need to do to be optimal in a game is what decides whether you play the game or not, since you can always just go be optimal in a different game if it looks like one is going to be too much of a hassle to be fun for you.

I didn't think I'd meet anyone who didn't want alts.

Also you do not need alts in this game. The game's progression is spread into "tiers" which grow exponentially harder to progress through. Alts help curb this a TINY bit via learning points which allows you to essentially get a skill 3x faster but you only get so many every day. You actually do not need learning points at all, you can just grind everything out (albeit it takes a while).
learning points/alts are actually the mechanic that helps people keep up. People will usually have some sort of crafter alt, gathering on their main, and another alt for trading and any other shenanigans.

But I'm interested in what you're talking about so please go on.

>need
The first thing here to clear up is that this is a bad argument. You do need to do something if it gives you an advantage. The correct way to play a game, any game, is the way that lets you meet that games objectives effectively.

Thats all a game is, any game, from checkers to starcraft, its an objective and a set of rules. You would think someone an idiot if they decided while playing checkers they would spend their effort trying to lose, or doing something random like trying to get exactly 3 kings and not caring about any of the rest of the game, but people will insist that in more complex games its acceptable.

While ill not tell someone whos enjoying playing a game wrong to stop it, anyone insisting that playing a game for such an unorthodox purpose consitutes a reasonably legitimate play style is just being absurd.

So to summarize, the way that is most efficient is actually the way you need to play a game. If you arent then there is no point, you have declared from the start that you do not intend to attempt to play the game in earnest, you are no longer playing a game, you are amusing yourself with a toy.

So it becomes a question; "Is the proper way to play the game, and thus the game itself, something that you will enjoy doing?"

So lets say i was to start playing the game. Im not a casual, i play maybe 200 hours a month, minimum. Based on the math ive seen for LP, im sure that wouldnt put me at a massive disadvantage from the average player using alts, but its not about the average player.

The difference between hardcore and casual is not the time they spend, its about perspective. Im pretty good at most games i play, the reason is because i ignore the other players, i focus on myself. The question becomes "could i be better at this game than i currently am? If so, how?". If the answer points me to some mechanic that i do not enjoy, then i have to ask myself if its worth enduring that or do i want to look for another game?

Yes but this is an mmo. What is classified as winning? Is winning achieving small and long term goals? Is winning defeating other guilds in a war?

Also if it makes you feel better the alts mentioned you play for a total of like 5 minutes a day. You pick up mats from your home bank, craft, and throw them right back in.

I mean I guess it comes down to opinions at this point. If alts are that bad for you, I'm sorry but I thank you for being so honest.

Is this game worth trying? I was interested, but then I heard that people on ipads are going to play it too. This suggests that it's probably going to be a very simple game, right?

Ipad and phones are good for gathering/crafting only. You cant fight properly on them.

Honestly playing on a tablet is pretty fucking autistic especially when you get to any sort of large scale pvp. Imagine playing wow with a controller, its about like that.

>winning
is meeting the objective, if there is no definite final objective, then its a ranking based game where your goal is to get the 'highest score'.

The arguments in the big thread have already been made.

Its precisely because you just log on and off fast that is the problem. If you had to spend effort doing each role in the game, then people who dedicated themselves to those roles would have value, here they dont just because ultimately almost every serious player will do them.

Its the same thing that happens in mmos with buffing classes, eventually its all buff bots, people who actually want to play those classes move from valued players to worthless once people level their buffbots up.

Sure a dedicated crafter will progress faster. But why do people want to play crafters in mmos? Is it because they enjoy the crafting interface? No, its because as a crafter they can contribute in a unique way to the community. Some might do it because they want to be 'special', some might do it because ideologically they enjoy that archetype, but the underlying thing that makes it worth doing is that it is ultimately needed. Thats what makes them select the crafting sub-game. The drive to optimize it, and become absolutely as good as possible, is an after effect, since they are now locked into being a crafter they naturally attempt to do it properly and optimize it.

Remove the 'need' of the dedicated crafter though, by allowing an alternative, even if the alternative is not on paper as good, as long as it is sufficient then the crafter main is no longer something that is actually required, and so there is no initial impulse to become the crafter to start with.

It also becomes an absurd mechanic, because if its to the point where every serious player will use alts for the LP generation, then why not just let people spend all that LP on a single character? There is no rationale other than bad design.

Honestly that last point needs emphasis.

What do people want when they want a 'sandbox' mmo? What are they looking for? They are looking for an artificial world, a virtual existence, where they can make a character that lives within that world, and impact it, that they the player act as a proxy through their virtual selves. Its pretty clear this is the sandbox ideal, its what people are always going on about, including this very games earlier promotional material.

That means one character is the ideal, which again was apparently confirmed by this very games earlier design.

So what then does it mean when a game like this ends up having a system where using alts is encouraged? It means that somewhere along the line some element of its design went wrong. Its a blemish. An mmo that gives alts an advantage is fundamentally flawed somewhere in its mechanics since alt-hopping goes against the underlying essence of what the original living-world type mmo was.

So its a warning sign, as is a massive thread with the devs ignoring player concerns and arguments.. The very fact that making LP account based instead of character based would help the problem immensely (yes people could still run multiple accounts, but thats true of any game, the degree at which the game inherently supports alt-hopping is a large factor in how much of it is done. If its a hassle or inconvenience then it never becomes the de facto standard of play, if its built in then you may as well say this is a game about using a team of three characters optimally)

immensely ... but is not actually done means that we have entered a realm where the developers are out of touch.

Game developers are bad at balance and design, because they see the pure mechanics. "an alt is no different from a player" is true on a strict mechanical basis, but it does not factor in the main resource of an mmo, the players. A guild of 100 people using alts is better than a guild of 100 not. Even in EVE wealth does not play anywhere near as large a factor as the number of players you are able to keep on or have on call at any given time. A dedicated crafter then is a liability if that player could have been alt hopping and self sufficient.

Wow, reading these posts is making me happy the game is launching in 30 mins so I never have to come here again

Enjoy your alts.

While it is true that a player running three alts and using learning points solely on each alts' specific skill progression will progress faster that a single character trying to level all three skills at the same time, I would argue that the game still incentivizes players sticking to a single main character if they really want to be the best.

Somebody splitting their time between three characters has one-third as much time per character as someone who focuses on a single character. Since learning points can only be used once a certain amount of grinding has been done, a player splitting their time might end up producing learning points faster than they can use them to level.

Sure, a single character player will never be able to do everything in the game, but you can't do that with three players either. At best you'd be able to gather three of the five resources, or use a single PVP build with a gatherer and crafter on the side. The game forces you to depend on other people to do the work you don't have the time or LP to bother learning. The game would feel lonely if someone could actually harvest, refine, craft, equip, and buff their combat character solely using their own alts.

>Somebody splitting their time between three characters has one-third as much time per character as someone who focuses on a single character.

So is wrong pointing out that you log onto your refining/crafting alts a few mintues a day and reap the LP gain? This seems also to be the consensus of the people strategizing in forums the best 'alt strategy'. Its basically free no hassle progression. So easy its basically mandatory because why wouldnt you?

Its not just a question of self sufficiency either.
Consider two 100 player guilds, one has a number of players dedicated to leveling their crafting and gathering and such, with the rest acting as combat players. The other only combat and gathering are done by mains, refining and everything else you can do with alts is done with alts. This means there are far more combat characters possible. Now whos at an advantage?

Players are the scarcest resource in a guild vs guild game, anything that makes a single player more overall effective is what you have to do.

Bumpo

Game is up lads
Legendary founders cant login

THANKS FOR BETA TESTING LEGGO KEKS

any tips for beginners? I played the beta a bit, only to t3 tho cause I didn't really want to grind just to have my progress wiped.
I probably want to go with a great mace (I believe, is that the good one? the one that has like an AoE silence), what path should I take? Which armor?

downloading

Server sudokod.

wait
you need to pay to play this crap?

youtube.com/watch?v=y8pLuByuXbE&t
is this the power of albion online?
impressive.

is this game kino

it has saved the MMORPG genre
WoWtards BTFO, they won't recover

its runescape

our guy ziggyD is streaming, check him out!

Thank god the servers arent lagging anymore

Howd everyone do on picking up plots? I got lucky and found a few chests on the way to my town so managed to buy two

>He thinks the devs do it for free

fuck sake lads what do i do

reminder the devs are based out of germany
funding muzzies

this is just an introduction to weapons and crafting as a whole
pick whatever, those are throw away weapons anyways.
read your tutorial quests and keep learning. youll want to focus on hitting full t3 gear ASAP as once you're able to make/wear it, its very easy to reproduce.

I like how the cart is better than the ox from a aesthetic view point. Founders BTFO

founders get both gay idiot

Yeah but they are forced to use the Ox because they need to be special.

>There's no point in playing a game unless you're super efficient and competitive

As someone who has been playing since the first beta, you guys are absolutely autistic. A game is meant to be fun and enjoyable, not something you sperg out on and consume your life with. You vastly overestimate how many autists there are going to be past the first couple weeks. Most of the playerbase just plays the game because it's something enjoyable in their freetime. Even when I was in one of the top guilds for the first couple betas nobody was this fucking autistic. It was always mostly about having a good time with your bros and ganking one of the zerg guilds that have terrible players.

It's the same thing with runescape and the autistis who grind out 200m xp as efficiently as possible. Sure, there are people that do that, but the vast majority of the playerbase genuinely does not care.

Are we gonna have a non meme spouting guild in Veeky Forums or are we forced to join baka?

im a bit new to baka but as long as you avoid their bdo dvision its typically fine also they have plenty of plots right now and knowledgeable people playing

its mostly shogun screaming like an artist still but desu everyone here is pretty chill. ever since they really set their eyes on being a "community" its been just a bunch of friends that anyone can join

Forced to Join Baka, they generally kill off any other vg guild

Also if you join any guild and they ask you to give them your gold, do not do it under any circumstances.

Just avoid Veeky Forums guilds entirely. I joined one a few betas ago, and while a couple seemed kinda normal, the rest were some of the most degenerate and autistic people I've ever had the displeasure of meeting. But by all means, if you want to hear about a guy fucking his trans grindr date while on discord, go right ahead.

sounds promising, I'll make sure to join one of those Veeky Forums guilds

>being transphobic
I dont get it
You guys want to fuck traps but not trannies? What do you think traps are? They're literally pre-op trannies that are cute

Back to the game.
Any tips for $30 bad goys? is hitting hellgates ASAP still important?

So whats your plan? Im currently in and around Highland just progressing, going to end up in Carleon within a week or so hopefully.

I don't know. I think all homosexual sex is degenerate as hell.

I don't get to play until tomorrow, so I'm not too sure yet. I'll probably just try to corner the market with some niche weapon and make a lot of silver with little effort.

Any EU guilds?

Should I drop Tree of Savior and play Albion?

People still play TOS?

just play NA with us itll be fun

also the games are quite different with way less focus on classes and more on lifeskills + pvp
the pvp is also good and while there is grinding, its usually in combination with pvp a la hellgates

I thought there is only one server???

Theres only one server.

30$ pre month
wtf is this

Warning:

If a BAKA doesn't have Rage, Rey, Muugi or Myelinated in it doesn't bother joining because it will fall apart in 2 weeks.

These people were the ones who kept Shogun from shitting the bed

its a pay2win garbage
please don't fall for it

Shogun is not in any leadership position at all
we talked him down

$30 upfront
optional premium that honestly you just grind 5 minutes for

So whos running it? Last one I joined was reckoning 3.0 AA baka and it was garbage compared to the BDO one

Same discord but different channel with entirely different permissions
Pm nova or jurten or just post in the public channel

>nova

Isn't he that fag who was orbiting some slut hard

Rip guess ill join a non vg guild

>Should I drop Tree of Savior and play Albion?
Yes.

t. dropped ToS

Who is running the guild? Is Rey or Myelinated doing it then?

I dont know
ask him

Why are you shilling a guild you don't know anything about?

No, wtf? Stunt Aka Flores Aka Shogun Aka titty twisting tito burrito is running the show

Does Baka have a guild island yet?

If your only experience with BAKA is post-fotm BDO baka, then im truly sorry. You got cucked out of the True Baka (TM) experience.

Rip

Is there any guilds besides baka, or do I just look for some random guild?

Iv been using Veeky Forums for years but only joined a Veeky Forums based guild once, dont do it.

>not having fun spamming memes with DE_lads

You could join the BR zerg, the RU zerg, the EU cuck zerg or some tryhard ex runescape guild. Truth is, you're going to have the most fun in this game playing with Baka.

BDO baka has Rey, Muugi and Myelinated still, so basically the stable baka core hasn't quit bdo

Which means this is another filler episode

>no stunt
>baka core
Yeah nah. You're a BDO newfag who joined post fotm, basically aren't Baka imo

BAKA CIVIL WAR

Wasn't Myelinated around way before him though? I Remeber him from the Eve Veeky Forums guild

Plus the stunt only guilds seem to die pretty quick

Stunt literally created Baka. Its his guild. Myelinated just tagged along for BDO Baka and took control over it once all the og baka quit that shitty game

Wasn't Myelinated the the guy on AA Morpheus who duo boxed and was killing groups of 5-10 people by himself tho,

I remember him playing for a long time and solo wiping pantsu/vd at DGS

Who are the OG baka?

Only names I remember from baka guilds are stunt, rage, rey, myelinated, ham, and tsmoov

Who stole the b o w ?

myelinated was the real leader of baka in AA and BDO anyone part of the core knew this and knew stunt being "leader" was part of the joke

No true bakasman, my favorite meme

Baka AA 1.0 - died weeks after thunder struck trees gate when Myelinated Quit

Baka AA 2.0 - died briefly when fallout 4 came out, got revived by Myelinated and Sandbro recruiting a new crew, then died when Myelinated quit for BDO.

Baka albion: died after 2 weeks -Myelinated kept playing AA instead

BAKA BDO - still alive over a year (Longest surviving Baka guild)

Baka albion 2.0 - died after 2 weeks - myelinated still playing bdo instead

Baka AA 3.0 - died after 3 weeks Myelinated still playing BDO instead

Baka Albion 3.0 - Myelinated still playing BDO instead, died after xx?

Notice a trend?

Has baka really fallen so far they have to play dead on arrival tablet mmos now? Nothing will bring back the old eve feeling guys, just give up

Is it possible to make a holy paladin type build? Or am I gonna be stuck using a staff

Plate and heal staff? Take windwall on chest.

>no trial
why would I blindly trust that this game is enjoyable and give the devs 30 of my hard earned bucks?

What build are you guys going with? what will you specialize into?

Because it's a tablet game scam, play a real mmo like ffxiv, wow, or bdo

Only thing to do in BDO is shitpost other generals apparently

At the rate the albion general moves it would 404 otherwise