Tools

What brand of tools does Veeky Forums use? Do you guys buy harbor freight stuff or do you use strap on. Do you use air or electric tools? What do you guys think of tekton

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8vktv2Vne0A
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I use tool sets from places that I can replace no questions asked thats super close to me(Husky). For electric tools, Im a sucker for the communist red Milwaukee stuff. I have Bosch as well. How is Harbor Freight stuff?

I got a 3/8 drive torque wrench there for their black friday sale. It works, that's about all I can say for it so far.

Hit and miss, their composite Pittsburgh ratchets aren't that bad, about equal to the Kobalt kit ratchets I have.

Mixture of stuff

>snap on
>sunex
>M7
>gear wrench

hand tools are generally fine, but their air and electric tools are workable, but no made to last in a professional setting. I buy harbor freight sockets, their ratchets are garbage. I prefer strap-on >you're gonna take it
With more expensive tools you're mostly paying for warranty. Snap on and the other majors, >mac, cornwell ect
No questions asked even if you've abused it. Air hammer to combo wrench for example. On the spot replacement if its in the truck.

Whatever the best deal/quality is. Thanks Bezos, you greedy fuck. Harbor freight a shit though, 4/5 times disappointment.
Unless it's really important Snap-on is just as dumb as buying Apple, or Beats or any other company that relies on brand name. Although they're good it's basically gauranteed you can get something just as good at a fraction of the price anywhere else. I mean do you really expect any chrome socket to break on you?

Gearwrench, Snap-On, Matco, Harbor Freight, Cractfsman, Milwaukee, etc.

DOes anyone here actually trust those $20 jack stands from ACdelco? Having second thoughts on using these.

Delco usually makes quality stuff

I have a 3 ton per pair crapsman jackstands. I've thrown one under the front axle of a 50' RV when I was changing tires. The weakest part of a jackstand is the tooth holding it in the air. many can support 3x their rated weight on the lowest setting.

>strap on

I use mostly craftsman hand tools, almost exclusively Milwaukee power tools, harbor freight random bits like sheet metal shears, hot air gun.

mixture, hazet, wera, snap on

>dog fucker

I don't fuck dogs they fuck me xD

I hit the jackpot when i worked at a self storage place so I've got a nice salad of Blackhawk, Craftsman, Husky, Snapon (a wrench and a stubby phillips), Shitsburgh and other randos.
All stored in a terribly thin terribly low weight rating on its drawers Hazard Fraught tool box.

Blackhawk ratchets are fucking great anons, If you ever see ratches with a knurled knob on the obverse side of the socket receptacle, buy the fuck out of them. It's convenient as all hell.

>mfw seeing the local snap-on dealer look of frustration when I took off the us general badge and stickers off my tool cart and put snap-on badge and stickers

He doesn’t even try to offer me anything anymore

>No questions asked
>On the spot replacement
I usually get a few questions from our driver but I've learned the correct answers so it's alright.

>tfw I go to the harbor freight store when I need to buy shit just to talk to the qt who works there

$9 ayyy

This.

that
is
the coolest freaking thing
that I've seen
in a long time

Got a whole wrenchbox full of them horror freight spannerisms?

And you'll never see it in person. :'^)

i got a box full of various orphaned socket and wrenches from many companies and the HF have held up just as well as all the other brands I have.

Mostly HF stuff and it all works very well. I occasionally use some vintage Snap-On tools or some Home Depot/Lowes branded stuff.

I wonder why there isn't a snapon zealot in here boasting about his $60,000 in tools.

Lovely.

I'm building my first toolbox right now and am going to just piece it together with good skookum stuff that chooches.

Well good luck and keep your dick in a vise.

>tfw know somebody with a $5k Snap-on tool box

>could have a filled craftsman one for same price

oh boy

*pecker in a bad habit
this is a christian board, user.

Son of a diddly. Well, Bob's your auntie.

It's time to engage your safety squints and leave the confuser.

Pull out the osmelloscope and let's see how these angry pixies chooch.

Well, for Jesus, and what-for-not.

big price to pay for a carry toolbox

Self storage po-boy here

snap on is inherently overpriced, but you need to look at it from a flat rate nigger work perspective where you can't have a tool break on you when you're balls deep trying to hit or do better than whatever the book hours are on a job. I /know/ mac and matco tools are fuckin gr8 m8/14 but I've never handled them.

Just consider that snap-on tools (and im certain quite a few cheaper brands) have a certain wonderful ergonomic feel in your hand.

Disregarding all that when you do have $10,000 worth of sockets, ratchets and wrenches it's really fun to shit talk people who bought garbage shit from sears or whatever other made in china masks there are.

on that $60,000 note, keep in mind that a guy working in a shop gets /somewhat/ of a deal buying tools off of a truck, and highschool/techschool students get a ""decent"" discount on their apparent unobtainium feeler gages.

I used to use whatever my father had in the garage.

Then things happened.
Now I get whatever I can afford when I need it.

For instance I have a fairly nice Irwin ratchet set, but a shitty $5 5pc set of monkey wrenches.

I don’t have any air tools except for a cigarette lighter tire filler.

Thinking on it, I could probably rig some stuff for it, but I don’t feel like it right now.

>Do you guys buy harbor freight stuff or do you use strap on
HF power tools are actual garbage. A couple of their hand tools are useful. Only things I would actually recommend from HF though is probably their breaker bars, and torque wrenches(they're like $10 a piece right now). Their torque wrenches I've tested the accuracy and have been really impressed especially for how cheap they are.

For most other hand tools, I go: GearWrench, occasionally Husky.

For power tools I go: Husky(usually they're the same design as the Milwalkee).

I bought a corded power drill from HF and it's just werked so far

Sidchrome
Kincrome/KC
Repco
Chicago Pneumatic

We've still got them cruising around in Aus, usually guys who do disc brake skims and whatnot. Generally in the side door of something like a Hiace or in the backdoor of a Falcon Wagon/Panel van

does any one else get autistic about one brand's socket being on another brand's wrench or is that just me

Nope I don't

Losing sockets and having mismatched sets of sockets does but using one brand socket on another brand ratchet, if that bothers you, you have legit autism

If you cucks spend any more on hand tools other than Harbor Freight's 20% off coupon, then spend your money on brands that compensate for your dick size.

>EBT, the post

That. Is. Awesome.

Thanks australia.

>hand tools
Mostly 15+ year old Unior tools and some cheap tools from a travelling tool shop
>cordless tools
Makita

The rest of the tools are of various qualities but mostly all made in EU.

>dat insert tho

>I don't fuck dogs they fuck me

Its a mix-bag of cheap chinese tools, norwegian tools made that my granduncle used to fix up buses in the 50s to 90s, expensive Würth/Hatzel, mid-tier Teng Tools, and a clusterfuck of different electric tools (primarily Ryobi)

Sometimes it doesn't fit quite snug

>What brand of tools does Veeky Forums use?
Werckmann
Powerfix

>Do you guys buy harbor freight stuff or do you use strap on.
Neither.

>Do you use air or electric tools?
Muscle power beats all

I got a cheap "Great Neck" 3/8 set for my birthday. They're, well, cheap.

I've never thought of it much until now. Thanks.

I can't stand putting one brands socket in another brands case if I still have both sockets.
If it's a replacement I don't give a fuck.

I have 2 ratchets sets, but I only use one ratchet as one doesn't let go of the sockets but it has sockets the good ratchet doesn't have.

>Ratchets
Snap-Off ( I splurge on one occasionally) & Gearwrench
>Torque wrenches
Tekton
>Sockets
Tekton & a few Husky, Sunex, Craftsman mixed in
>Wrenches
Tekton ratcheting, Gearwrench fixed
>Power tools
Makita
>Screwdrivers
PB Swiss & Wiha
>Pliers
Knipex
>Tool chest
Beta (because I'm in Italy and buying one local was way better than shipping)

I got one of those fold on itself carrying case sets from Crescent, got it on sale for 50 bucks on Amazon and did me well for a very long time, did everything under the sun on my jeep and a bronco i used to work with just that. 10/10 would recommend for most basic stuff but the sockets stop at pretty small sizes and so do the combo wrenches so major stuff will require u to buy tools as needed

Then I splurged and got an oem tools 337 peice mechanics starter set with a kart so far I love it. Metric and standards sockets, wrench, extensions, swivels, multiples of each ratchet in different sizes and flex heads, star, torx, all kinds of snow flake fastener tools for imports and euro, air tools all the pliers and screw drivers in the world yadda yadda yadda fucking clutch tool set 1400 tax free no shipping cost and can warranty tools at any AutoZone.

Harbor freight for my central pneumatic air compressor 140$ i used to run my oem air tools, a 32 piece wrench set 11$ just for different physical sized handles and stuff (needed stubbys and also to have 3 of each size because sometimes me and some buddies will split the work up I do one side they do the other side so no need to wait on tools). A 10 peice metric ratcheting wrench set and 10 peice standard ratcheting wrench set 25$. Also got a reciprocating saw from them 15$. 4 6 ton jack stands Daytona racing lo pro hi rise floor jack, lo pro tranny jack.

Ammo can full of zip ties, a c clamp, solder, heat shrink, wire quick connectors, putty knife, all kinds of random knick knacks

Ammo can full of fitting and adaptors for air tools and Teflon tape

Innova digital timing light which I love displays degrees of advance and tachometer too.

That's my little mini shop. And a 6x8 keter Manor shed

Oh and forgot I got a 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 torque wrenches from Harbor freight and also 1/2 deep socket impacts in metric and standard plus extensions and swivels from hf too. I'd say I'm pretty good on tools for right now it was enough to painlessly swap a transmission, saw off an entire exhaust system, install headers and a supercharger all in father in laws my driveway

>or do you use strap on
n-no

>other tech in my shop has a $12k snap-on diag kit
>still making payments on it

Harbor freight isn’t a meme, the tools are actually garbage. Personally, I’ve got a lot of GearWrench hand tools and my power tools are nearly 90% Milwaukee cordless electric, both seem like kind of a second or third best alternative to snap-on. Don’t get me wrong, I love snap-on tools, they’re just too unjustifiably expensive.

Pic semi related, I work on charter coaches.

Pics or link? My set is OEM, a division of great neck saw and tool

Imagine an air powered dildo

Your workshop looks so comfy user next year when i buy a home with my wife I'm gonna make sure the garage is a main item when looking at houses. I could give a fuck if the schools around there are 1 star shit holes lol

As a complete hobby who isn't rebuilding engines yet I have a mixture of pittsburgh pro sockets and tekton wrenches. Been able to fix/upgrade anything on my miata so far. All hand tools can't afford anything electric.

Imagine a petrol powered vibrator

You are like little babies. My coworker has $20000USD sunk into snap-on tools that he’s still paying off.
>tfw I’ve just bought whatever second-bests I can find on Amazon and have only spent a total of about 3k

>pneumatic poker

Can't buy skill, idk why people spend so much on tools and they can't diagnose for shit or still strip fasteners and ruin shit with 10000$ snap on tools

I think it's this one.

One of the bits came chipped like it dragged into something in the production line, and one of the screws in the racket comes loose if I apply too much force on it. My dumbass lost the recipient so no warranty for me.

Kinchrome mainly, also a stanley socket set as well as the kinchrome one and some other odd tools in my tool box.

Whoops forgot i own one snap on tool pic related it was 250$
Jk 13$

>not a $200 Leatherman
Weak

What in the fuuuuck

For what purpose

Its not really a garage tool, its meant for ambulance workers, rescue workers and so on

I use it in my job to cut open ski boots, clothes, aluminium samsplints, when making new lines for the ski lifts and more. It can cut pennies in half with no issue, has stuff like windshield breaker, oxygen tank key, belt cutter and a few more

youtube.com/watch?v=8vktv2Vne0A

I use a Gerber EVO as my actual multi-tool

I was gonna say that craftsman tool looks like something my doc would carry on is flak looks. I'm a marine and my snap on tool works just fine for my shit In the field

wera, hazet, knipex, stahlwille, elora, pbswiss, wiha, vessel, facom, felo, koken, ktc, proto...

It’s funny because he’s useless except for the fact that we keep him on call for late night on-road repairs. He literally doesn’t use 70% of his tools because he only works 30% of the time he’s on the clock. I’m one of the newer guys in the shop, and even still I have to tell him to do stuff or he’ll just sit there on his phone. He’s like 25 years older than I am, too.

They can, but is it a good idea?

yeeeah buddy

I got one too and recalibrated it. It's tits now.

I have a bunch of snap-on tools my father gave me. He bought them when he ran his own business (golfcart repair) back in the 80's and 90's. This was a $20k snap-on box + tools back in 1985. Amazing quality and durability.

I needed some more metric stuff and thought i'd splurge on snap-on stuff thinking it would be of same quality. The new snap-on tools are garbage compared to the old stuff I have, and I will never buy modern snap-on tools again.

Warranty is also deceiving, they fought me every step of the way. Claiming it was my fault and I didn't use the tool correctly. I broke some cheap kobalt stuff on the same project and Lowe's literally said "yea just grab it off the wall and come back to the counter" with no questions. Fuck snap-on.

Broke young techs buying off the truck get fucked by snap-on's insane interest rates. They hand out the discount so it appears like they are getting a deal, but in reality snap-on will make way more money off them in the long run.

>inb4 hurr durr why doesn't a 19 year old kid making $12/hr have $20k cash to pull out of his asshole

you gotta piss with the cock you got.

>tfw real snapon box

Picked this up for cheap. Is this made in murica and how can i tell

>Is this made in murica and how can i tell
If it rusts and falls apart, it's 'Murican

Should be a sticker on the back with all info. Either way I've never seen an imitation Snap On box (other than cheap shit boxes that someone slapped the emblem on).

If it's real snapon then it's probably made in canada

>not having carbon tools

>wanting your tools to break instead of bent

pls stop memeing that dude so hard.

My carry around is gearwrench in my car. For school or emergencies.

Home and work is Snap on. I've used all the other top tier brands, matco, mac, cornwell, nothing beats snap on for hand tools. But I do use some kyoto tools for some tight japanese shit box spaces.

Battery Operated tools I use milwaukee with snap on impact sockets.