/domg/ - Dominions General

Request Granted edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-"""progress""" wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin (UPDATED!)
pastebin.com/qaccWnMt

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Multiplayer guide
web.archive.org/web/20150430021604/http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/core-mp-concepts-that-i-wish-somebody-had-told-me-about/

>Play by email guide
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Pretender designer
bsielski.github.io/pretenders/

>Debug Mod
For testing battle formations and spells
dropbox.com/s/eo3qbjlixfghvs4/Debug.zip?dl=0
forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuclearmonkee
>Jump into MP feet first; ask for pretender advice in the thread

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Previous Pantokrator

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw
youtube.com/watch?v=9ti59NdbG1c
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=AgeOfMan
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=MAtureContent
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=Turboneet
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

1st for lemuria not replying

ever

Nice try R'lyeh. You want people to attack snakes so that you can roll in and cancer up his little pond.

Don't listen to shills Mari. Prepare for full on removal of UW cancer with the help from your amphbious friends.

Being able to run on water is a pretty big achievement but it couldnt have evolved to be a bit less goofy looking while it did ti?

Lizard ladies think its cool and sexy. He gets laid a lot. Can you say the same?

What bless for LA Agartha? E4+ seems mandatory, but what else? E4N9?

Anyone else get this stuck in their head whenever they do their turn?

youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

nope

youtube.com/watch?v=9ti59NdbG1c

Are asuras in ME worth summoning? They're 2N a pop but they aren't sacred.

Throw ethereal and barksin on them and they can shred stuff just fine.

Speaking of sacred asuras. Did you know that vanara are pretty much exactly the same height as humans? I always thought they were smaller.

certainly that one works

How does Summon Lammashtas work? And is it good?

From the description it says the two units it summons are not loyal to the caster but will probably not attack him. What about other units on the caster's side, for example? Anything else I should be considering with this spell?

It used to murder your guys then do fuckall but now they are supposed to spawn not as close to the caster so maybe more useful..

Explain lore to me please. What exaclty happened in Ermor between EA and MA? From what I gathered Ermor conquered large chunks of world like Maverni, Sauromatia and others. Then shit hits the fan with necromancers usurping power and causing cataclysm. Ermor breaks up with Sceleria, Pythium and Mavirgon as successor states.

Ermor tried to revive their old god/messiah or something to prevent the foreseen cataclysm but them doing that caused the cataclysm.

So what's the deal g with Jotun stone hurlers? I've never used them with any of the ice giants but I've seen here and there that they're actually really good.

like with Agarthan (nonsacred) throwers they're bad for most combat purposes but they're by far the most gold-efficient siegers the nation has

When are we going to just AI or find a sub for Mictlan?

jesusu fucking christ dude

Not-Rome conquers most of the known world including Iberia/Gaul (Marveni), Germania (Ulm), Sarmatia/Scythia (Sauromatia) and probably Egypt (C'tis) where they learned death magic from Sauromancers (they certainly had close ties if not sovereignty), practised by newly formed order of Thaumaturgs. Later, Thaumaturgs foresaw a great cataclysm and advised the Emperor's brother to rebel (forming Sceleria) and civil war ensued. Sceleria marched to siege the Emorian capital of Eldregate and in attempt to break the siege, the defenders let Death loose, the very cataclysm Thaumaturgs had divined (ie. it was a self-fulfilling prophecy). The brother of the old emperor claimed the imperial crown and moved the capital elsewhere while the death cult of thaumaturgs works to keep death at bay, but during all this chaos, now Romanized (Ermorized?) peoples in conquered territories broke free from the imperial rule.

This would be neat and kinda makes sense given that EA Ermor has early Christianity theme and I don't think Dom3 fluff directly contradicted it, but Dom4 is pretty clear about the events.

>tfw no turns for 24+ hours

We got 12, so I'll be assembling the map later tonight, editing it, and checking starts for sanity. Game should start in about 10 hours

>Ermor, Asphodel and 3 UW nations, one of which is R'lyeh
Does this qualify as a meme game already?

All MA games are meme games.

Hmm I didn't realize these were so squishy.

Which games are recruiting right now?

I honestly hope this was made AFTER Yomi player went AI.

Seems I missed lore parts where they even took Ulm. I was under impression they only fucked them up badly but did not conquer them.

So lorewise MA is Sceleria, Pythium, Mavigron fighting against Ermor undeads until in end combining their forces and defeating it?

Its funny how MA pythium is closer to christian East Roman Empire while LA Pythium is late era Rome pre christianity with lots of mystery cults and mithra.

Elvesarefor?

No, EarthAttack. Salva's last army walked right into AI Yomi's snek and prophet. It was a painful scene.

Mari and Sceli fight Ermor. Pythium seems to kinda be doing its own thing. Marignon eventually makes a literal deal with the devil to drop an inferno or two onto Ermor

>Pythium seems to kinda be doing its own thing.
Well they adopted the Serpent Cult specifically after C'tis sauromancers were invited to help against Ermor.

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=AgeOfMan

LA Game with no memes aside from Summod! Join for some fun*

*fun will not be had

Thoughts on giving a Pythian Serpent Lord a frost brand and having him solo raid with just that + his base gear?

dies to 1 PD

Ulm!

>putting your own hair to make the tail in the fez
The proper fuck?

5 water gems and a fort turn for a raiding party seems pretty good

Human thugs are basically not a thing.

I know that a hochmeister can, but they're a lot tankier.

>5 water gems, 110 gold, a mage turn and a fort turn without a mage for something that dies to 1 PD

literally worthless

It's 90 gold, but I was mostly asking if it did, in fact, die to one PD. I can try it, I guess

I'm assuming MA?

That's a fort turn that could be used for a mage and 50 resources that could be useful chaff + 5 water gems for a unit that dies to 1 PD. It's not like you've got gems out the wazoo as Pythium anyway, you're also wasting a turn of research on a therug.

Hochmeisters, Black Lords, Paladins and such are a borderline case, but they are still pretty much never used, since they still die very easily and you are almost always better off recruiting a mage.

In ME Paladins make decent tanks due to being spammable and having national holy spells that make them not shitty.

Blindfighters aren't really worth a bless, but E4N9 makes them pretty decent, yeah.

>Your path to ascension has been foreseen at the Grey Tower of Nexus and one of the Shadow Seers has been given the task of guiding you.

I've gotten this event once before and I wound up winning. I guess I'm winning this one too. The rest of y'all may as well go AI.

pls gib turns

Any advice for building Divine Emperor pretender for EA Ermor and MA Pythium?

Yes, change chassis to snek

In summod, how do you get your mages to cast Sol Inviticus? I've scripted it and have only sacreds and solarii in my army.

But I wanna RP with Divine Emprah leading romans to glory.

LA Pythium if that's not clear.

Divine Emperor is genuinely bad. You're better off with a Great Sage or any other human chassis, really.

for rainbows you need a solid, clear plan and strategy. What things do you want from him? Do you just want a general utility mage? If so, you're gonna have a bad time, and more scales and an expander will always be better than just "one really good mage". If you, say, have specific goals like lamia queen turbocomms, or a ring forger we can actually help out.

Depends on what you want to use it for. I'm assuming you are doing it for the rule of cool and not tryhard optimization so be aware there are better picks. You could take it dormant with a bunch of other low level paths and use it as sitesearcher/researcher/emergency communion master for every spell in the game or you can take it imprisoned and use it as a lategame big magic caster mostly rituals and the like. If you absolutely had to take it awake then you can use it the same way as dormant only shittier.

The rule for rainbows is to figure out specifically what spells and items you want your god to be responsible for and then tailor it to get access to them. You usually want it to be focused on augmenting your national magic using gems that your mages can find. Don't bother trying to make your god into a site searcher; it takes way too long for that to pay off and god turns are important.

EA Ermor really likes S2E2+ for crystal gear (can use all of it, really - coins, matrices, and shields). N2 might be nice to boost indy N1 mages into better battlemagic and require fewer com slaves for stuff like relief and mass regen. Everything else is edge-case, but I would advise specifically against trying to go for rings or tartarians. You're not a big nature/death power, so you can't easily compete for mother oak / gift of health unless you conquer one and you won't be able to amass a large number of tart summoners.

Something that I personally like is getting lamia queens for communion slaves (2 queens with slave matrices enables 15 masters to spam pillars of flame or banefire or skeletons or whatever indefinitely).

Either way, don't try to add too many or too deep paths, just because since scales ARE worth it and your god's paths are only MAYBE worth it. Definitely don't add paths just to give you 'access' to a path without knowing specifically what spell or item you want out of it.

What makes him so shit? Earmor and Pythium get him really cheap.

I am just noob and not trying to power game here. Just have some nice time RPing with Romans led by Emperor who is also their god.

Any tips how to specialize it for EA Ermor and MA Pythium differently?

is this god for single player or pvp

what's going on with you and lemuria and does it involve me?

Both in single starting to play that all factions "real" world map which has every nation in "right" starting locations. Doing both EA and MA versions of it.

But also going for some noob pvp game.

For single player you can build your god to however suits the story you're trying to tell, e.g. tons of nature or astral or death or whatever magic whose lategame spells excite you. Even blood and leveraging yourself up with your god bloodhunting, which for Ermor in most pvp games would otherwise be a disastrous waste of time. I'd base the design on the major spell(s) especially global spells you want out of your god. Some of the most comfy ones include Gift of Health and Well of Misery.

For pvp I'd want a better chassis and more streamlined plan so that the god can be more impactful earlier, but for single player storytelling-esque mode you have access to as many turns as you want so there's a lot more you can get away with.

now what kind of person would commit the terrible act of not doing their turns

Not Crusch, that's for sure!

No boots.

Others can tune in on this but...
EA Ermor gets recruitable Flamen in all indie provinces that have both a lab and a temple and from them you get access to FAWEN so sitesearching isn't as necessary on them. What is necessary is boosting those paths and making them useable cheaply and in combat. As has recommended you want at minimum s2 and e2 as it allows all the crystal gear to be forged with a starshine skullcap equipped to your god. With astral 6 you can equip a crystal coin, starshine skullcap, ring of wizardry, and a ring of sorcery and with those equipped you could cast wish, arcane nexus, and the other astral globals. Having astral 6 also allows you to forge all that shit which can be used to boost the flamen (for rituals mostly)

At minimum I would get s6 and e3 (earth for troll king's court, earth boots, and dwarven hammers)
I would avoid water since you can boost from 1->3 rather easily but with w2 you can forge bracelets and robes of the sea.
Taking nature 3 lets you forge thistle maces and moonvine bracelets If you bump it up to 5 and take 2 death you can get lamia and faery queens. At 5 you can also cast gift of health
Taking 5 death gives you just about everything you need from there but you already kinda get that with Augur Elders you can gamble with twiceborn to get em up to 4 give em a skullstaff to get em to 5 for the skullface booster to get liches and then tartarians .
With air you need 4 to forge all the boosters but since you could just cast faery court with nature I would go with that over air.

Since it starts with 1 dom I would probably only go to dominion 5, then take something like o3 g3 and magic the end result looking something like this. If you don't get rushed you will probably be fine with this but if you are then you can only rely on your national mages. If you want more points you could probably dump one misfortune and take heat/cold but those are personal preferences.

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=MAtureContent

Game is full admin generate the map if you haven't already begun to do so.

Lore of Xibalba. Bat people chill out in jungle and undeground caverns. hunting bloodslaves and worhipping demons. Then star hits ocean and tidal waves fill their caverns killing many. Then Atlanteans come fleeing squidheads and kill batpeople who still live in caves and enslave others. This is MA Xibalba? Atlantean frogs enslaving and using remnants of batpeople.

But what happens in LA that makes bats come back as bigger force? Since they were practically genocided before.

For SP that's fine. For MP, the astral endgame is essentially nonexistent and you need a(mong other things) prod 3

Dumping heat will let you use Lizard Auxillaries and probably be better for your fire castings so if you have to dump one then there is that. Ultimately though I am of the opinion that it is better to take great scales, an earth snake, and to set up a fort in every province so you can recruit millions of billions of augurs and elders with all the magic to overwhelm people and using specters which are in no way guaranteed to have the paths you want to forge the crystal shit or you know just empower an earth flamen for like 50 pearls should you be unlucky or unwilling to spend the death gems. But then I'm probably shit so keep that in mind.

memes

You can recruit like a billion bats every turn if you have a few forests and caves so it was probably the fact that they breed like insects.

or like bats even

Touche.

The ultimate n33t experience.

Turn host interval will be 2 hours.

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=Turboneet

what the actual fuck
it takes me more than 2 hours to decide on my orders some turns

What if you have to sleep?

Just make a blitz retard

Apparently true neets need no sleep.

GIT GUD

Really though, just do a blitz. As soon as someone goes to sleep, they're going to miss at least three or four turns.

Thanks guy didn't see it.

This plays into the concept of the game, stales will be inevitable and will have to be accounted for

I'd be down to play this if turns were half an hour or an hour and it was run on a weekend where I'm not sleeping

I knew the 16 stale strat would become the new meta.

I'm down but I work and sleep so this should be interesting.

"Guys Abysia is at work! Get the filthy wage slave! We have till they get off"

This sounds miserably fun

post your favorite assassins

Ok 20/29 points for Victory is aggressive, especially with this insane format. Drop it to 15-17 and I'm in

Are there any monsters in this game with multiple faces on one head? In the vein as this guy or that one type of angel if possible.

Literally the Chayot

The Chayot has 4 different forms with 4 different heads, I'm looking for something that only has one head.

do
your
tums

n
o

Read their description. The four forms represent their four faces.

Thats great and all but I was looking for a creature whos sprite had multiple faces.

doesn't exist sorry