Attachment

Have you ever been emotionally attached to your car, like not to a weird point but where you don't want to let it go if you get a new one? You want to hold onto it and the memories you've had with/in it? How do you overcome it?

By not getting rid of it, and rebuild/restoring it down the road.

Yes, and the answer is to simply keep it.

Getting a new car because “lol, gotta have the newest” is for fucking retards.

No
But the easy solution is to just keep collecting them
A bit of an annoyance in Europe admittedly

Oh hell yeah. I got my 10 year old Honda Fit from my grandma. She decided it was time for her to stop driving at 88 years old and I needed a car so she sold it to me for the same price the dealer offered to buy it back. It only had 70 k kms on it and it was a "only driven to church on Sunday" kinda car but she's not religious and only put 5 k on in the 3 years she had it after a flood ruined her Camry. I've had it for just over a year and even though I could buy out my mom's lease on her 2013 shitvic I prefer mine. I will drive it into the ground if I have too but prefer to eventually import a Jazz Si AWD manual trans and drivetrain and turn it into a rally fit. Or if I win the lottery or come into serious money I will buy an Aston Martin but modify the fit and put an engine in the back. Kinda like the top gear UK/Austrialia episode where Hammond dragged the Holden ute with a work van owned by one of Clarkson's buddies.

Pic related. Some Photoshop autistic user turned it into this.

No because I'm not an autistic aspie that develops emotional attachments to inanimate objects. Do you love your refrigerator too?

Yes. I tried to sell my first car once but couldn't do it. Now I've just accepted that I'm diving my 1995 shitbox for live. Hopefully the engine last until mandatory electric conversion.
t. No soul

Yes, the only way to cure this is to total the car.

I didn't first get the freedom to go where I wanted when I wanted in a fridge, I didn't learn self reliance in a fridge, I didn't Fuck the first girl I ever loved on the bottom shelf of a fridge. And that's why my first car still sits in storage waiting for what motor and adventure she and I go on next.

But don't worry my wife doesn't get it either, so you fit neatly into the company of the things I stick my dick into.

10/10 well said

So you admit you are literally autistic.

No. I'm not some low T soyboy.

Im quite severely autistic and my only friends are my car and the various anons on 4chin. My car and i have conversations and i love my car more than i could ever love a person

What do you drive?

Even though it's only a 1.2l Skoda wagon I've driven all over the country in it and it's never let me down. I'm not gonna sell it since it's super cheap to run and insure. I'm not emotionally attached to it, but I'd be pretty sad if I had to sell it, or I got into an accident and had to replace it.

I place value in the experiences that have shaped me into the person I am today, and hold dear to the things that sharpen my memory of those times and the lessons learned. If anything you could ascribe it to whimsy, but your attempts to belittle it as a mental disorder just come off as sad, and telling of how little you've enjoyed in your life.

Maybe you should spend more time in /r9k/, you would probably fit in well.

Yes.
I was sobbing when they took my smashed up leaky, rusty matrix from me even though i wanted a new car anyways.

>My car and i have conversations

Congrats, I've been on this website for nearly a decade and that's the most autistic thing I've ever read here.

What's sad is someone who can't make the distinction between experiences, memories, bonds made with other people, and a utility. What other objects in your house do you form relationships with? What about the shoes you wore while driving the car? What about the comb you used the day you met your first girlfriend? What about the receipt from the theatre where you two saw a movie? What arbitrary criteria need to be met in order for something to be worthy of your sentimental appraisal?

>and hold dear to the things that sharpen my memory of those times and the lessons learned.
This isn't at all how memory works. If anything the car just reminds to remember that you have the rememory.

>t. Autistic Aspie

A 1996 caprice

>What arbitrary criteria need to be met in order for something to be worthy of your sentimental appraisal?

Anything that draws up memories if that special time. You correct that it is completely arbitrary, but your need to demean and belittle that fact says that you are either not experiencing these emotions and the attachments that they create, or you are unable to recognize that other people can experience them. That is not normal in the wider scheme of things and is emotionaly unhealthy.

Have you ever been diagnosed with a narcissistic disorder?

lmao busrider detected

get your license and go hooning

Yes.

When I was 18, I bought a 2000 Mustang GT. I had been driving a rust-bucket for the past several years and this was the first major thing I could be proud of.

>Detailed it on a weekly basis
>Started doing small upgrades
>Exhaust, Gears, Roush kit, TB, etc
>After a year, put a Kenne Bell on it, ran 9 psi
>Started going to the track, ran 12's and high 11's
>Decided to go all-out
>Invested way, way, way too much
>Spent 2 years, almost every day after work
>Wound up with a car that had insane power, but was utterly horrible on the street
>91mm turbo, 2000hp rated 5.4, TF heads, custom Bullet cams, full tubular frame.... list was insanely long
>When it was complete, by ET calculations alone, it was capable of high 7's.
>Sadly it never made it back on the track
>Had to part with it, lost ~$60k in the process

I felt dead inside for months. I still occasionally have dreams about that car, like it magically showed back up in my garage and I could finish it and run it on the track.

What's interesting is I'm almost 30 now, have a built '14 GT500 and a '69 Cobra Jet in my garage, yet I miss that damn '00 GT so much. In retrospect, the car wasn't even that special. It was like losing a friend.

My wife doesn't get it. I show her pictures of the car, pictures of me at the track, she just smiles and goes "that's nice, dear, but aren't your current cars much nicer?"

>getting bored of my current project
>just feeling unsatisfied
>think about getting a new car
>second dream car pops up on CL
>straight as an arrow, love the color, interior is mint
>fucking perfection

>fast forward a week
>transmission breaks on the last track day of the year
>tfw got the motivation to keep her going

The first couple weeks I was basically living without my car. The midnight runs weren't the same, going to the bar and friends saying "hey didn't hear you pull up!" no more making buddies with complete strangers and talking cars for 10 minutes

The trans blowing up was like it was meant to be. That car I saw on CL was like a fucking SUCCubus and it tried to take me away from my baby.

What were the two cars?

A car is much different from a comb

A Fairmont and a Chevelle

Its the little things though

Not that user, but I too am an aspie, I used to have an 85 Supra I rebuilt the motor in, but never finished hooking it up, had no idea what went where in terms of vacuum lines and such (I was 18 and newly into cars.) It sat in the back yard of my mom's place, covered up. I would sometimes get drunk, sit in it, and sob for 30 minutes over how I ruined her and couldn't finish her. Sold it for 400 to a fellow Supra guy, said the rebuild was great, best motor out of all his mkii supras, tried to sell it back to me for 2k.
Couldn't afford the loan. Named all my cars but that Supra, had an 01 solara named Shiba (because she was a bitch) a 94 Celica named max(ine) and now a 00 GS400 named Ebony (sassy with a phat black ass) I feel you user