Is a new car worth the depreciation if you plan to drive it 10+ years...

Is a new car worth the depreciation if you plan to drive it 10+ years? Knowing that the car was serviced regularly from start to finish seems like it might be worth eating the initial depreciation.

Pic mostly unrelated

>depreciation
Who fucking cares.
Buy what you like and enjoy driving it.

Welcome to Veeky Forums, where you post a legitimate question only to have it disregarded due to autism.

If you keep it for ten years, yeah it probably worth it.

Be careful, at some point keeping up maintenance of the vehicle will just be too costly.

Try to find good a good deal, which new cars are selling on dealer lots, models towards the end of their cycle, etc.

Buying a new car will never be worth it outside of pulling some intrinsic value out of the full warranty, having the knowledge that you were the only owner and all the maintenance was done on time, and the attention it'll grab if it's novel enough.
That said, owning a new car is fucking comfy

No car by itself is worth the depreciation. What matters is whether you need a new car to get laid or not. If you're buying a new car as an incel you're just burning cash.

This is without a doubt one of the most retarded things I've ever read on this website

Congrats, your life must suck

If you "skip the depreciation" you'll just have to spend it on maintenance and repairs later. Those $500 trips to the mechanic add up. inb4 muh $500 car I drove for a million miles without spending a dime.

Honestly this is what I did in 2007 with a cobalt SS. Drove it ten years, 108,000 miles. Outside of tires and fluids, I only spent 108 dollars on repairs and never once worried about the car. In my mind it was worth a little more money for that peace of mind.

I'm think I'm trading in my vehicle for a base level Tacoma in 4x4. Would plan on putting ~200k on it over 10 years.
That seems attractive to me. Bumper to bumper warranty sounds great, especially if I could negotiate a lifetime power train warranty and service packages.

Just depends if you can justify or afford the depreciation, or if having the latest and greatest is important to you.

If worked for dealers some in the luxury segment, there's always some of the wealthy guys always dumping their super clean low mileage car for the next generation the second it hits the streets.

It's expensive as hell but must be nice having that new worry free E-class, 911, Range Rover, etc with all the latest options when it's brand new. Leasing programs are much more lucrative than before with things like maintenance etc being included.

Money was usually not a overly concerning issue for these guys, but most of the employees at these place drive used cars to the death or are on a nice employee lease rate. I know Mercedes employees of corporate owned stores get access to some killer deals, I know someone who was leasing a 2017 C450 for $400 CAD a month or something ridiculous like that

You could just buy a car 2 years old and avoid the massive first year depreciation drop. Most cars won't have exceeded 20k miles, allowing you to have your new car, service, and still be wise about cash.

Dont ask poorfags about depreciation. If you like that new car buy it. If you like an older car, buy it.

So, what, you really think a 30k Camry is worth the extra 15k compared to one that's 5 years old? Get real, kid.

I think the best way to do it would buy a 2-3 year old car that has proof of maintenance. That way you still get a pretty much new car and you let someone else take the initial big depreciation hit. Depends how important having it from brand new and speccing it yourself is.

If you get a car that is 1 year old it can depreciate and shit tonne and often the 5 year warranties are transferable

the longer you hold onto it, the less you have to worry about depreciation, insofar as it doesn't have major problems.

you won't beat the guy who drives a reliable used, but it can get pretty close depending on how often they replace their car.

is it worth the cost? up to you. it's not a purely financial/practical decision.

I wouldn't buy new unless you have the cash (not that you necessarily need to pay in full, but you should have it available). At least 20% down to cover the first years depreciation, and low or no interest.

otherwise you're literally paying a financier to invest in an asset that know is going to lose you money.

Unless you are willing to buy the fastest depreciating models you don't usually get that good of a deal on lightly used cars. If you are financing you will pay just as much in interest as you save. Paying cash for an old POS is obviously a different story.

New cars are ok if:
You can afford to buy it without financing.

You are buying it because you like the car and always wanted it

Otherwise:

Why would you not buy a used car with less than 20k miles at 20% off?
Why not buy a 5-10 year old version and make 50% the cost up in repairs over the 10 years?

I would never buy a new econobox. New plastic is just as shittt as old plastic and nobody will be impressed either way.

New 911 or M3? Yeah I get it. New luxury car that some other pleb hasn’t got Fast food grease all over? I get that too.

New Yaris? That’s just wasting money.

New car financing is better than used which can factor in.

>financing
thats where it already went wrong.
I only buy used cars, but always pay cash. My golden rule with cars is to never buy what i can't afford.

There is nothing wrong with financing a car, especially if you plan on keeping it a long time. You people are hilarious.

Assuming you have the money, generally a lightly used 1-2 year old model is new enough, and unless the previous owner went full retard it isn't old enough for a lack of maintenace to really ruin it. If it is a certified preowned, even better.

I wish 5 year old camry cars were $15k, around my area they're 17-22k

>poor people
>muh 10% of a $30k car

buy smart if you're trying to avoid depreciation
one of my friends bought a '15 FR-S, drove it for a year, and sold it for $1000 less than he paid because it was """discontinued"""

not sure who the hell would rather have a Scion badge than a Toyota, but he found them