/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

cloaks OP edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Standalone is out of date, use Starter Pack for 43.05):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12897
pastebin.com/frYr5CbV
pastebin.com/mQrpFMhe
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for futa elf necromancers.

It's out!

Do werebeasts not need to eat or drink? I had a werebeast attack and that only injury was he bit one of my dwarves feet off. I wasn't sure if that counted for being infected or not so I went on the safe side and walled him up. It's been a bit now, he hasn't turned and its surely been enough time for him to be hungry or thirsty, but he isn't.

The futa necromancer wasn't even an elf :

>shoops a fake
>doesn't even pick a more plausible version number than 48.16
C'mon bro.

Yeah, the .16 was a dead giveaway.

Why are scimitars functionally identical to short swords?

For that matter, what's the deal with pikes? are they any good? (I realize that both pikes and halberds will be much better once toady represents their greater reach)

Pikes have greater penetration than spears.

They're functionally identical because their raws are pretty much the same, the only difference is that the pommel strike of the scimitar has a contact area 50 while the pommel strike of the short sword has a contact area of 100. As for why do they have identical raws, well, I have no idea.

Pikes, as said, have greater penetration, 20% more going by the wiki, but they require two arms to use for most humans and dwarves.

I mean, how would a scimitar be functionally different from a straight sword?

In a time before time, tourneyanon was struck down by a crab.

>some marksdwarf issues
heart skipped a beat

Worse stabbing, ability to slash without stopping on a horse

More slashy, less stabby.

it's used by subhumans

Curved swords existed all over
>Polish sabers
>Musket-era cavalry sabers
>Indian talwars
>The Falchion
>Egyptian Khopesh
>Ethiopian Shotels
>Persian Shamshir
>Pashtun Pulwar
etc. etc.

Curved swords are great against opponents with little armor/from horseback because while they can't stab through armor and have worse reach they'll cut shit real good

>poles
>sandniggers
>indians
literally my point

kill le elv xD

don't forget literally everyone that ever used horses in the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries

I like the xiphos.

That's a nice looking sword.

>everyone that ever used horses

I prefer bronze swords, but humanity stopped really making swords out of bronze pretty early (for good reasons), so we'll never get to see how bronzeworking could've evolved in terms of swordsmithing

I like this one, I bet it's great for cutting bread.

Chinese swords are interesting.

>jian

There's a little-known and rarely-taught Chinese katana form that was created by the Chinese people living along the coast who had to fight Japanese raiders using katanas that they looted and/or reverse engineered.

Sentient undead (Mummies, vampires, and necromancers LEAVE) when?

Literally husks.

literally without a brain. They don't need one to "live."

Literally ghosts.

Sentient corporeal undead

Go fuck yourself.

Mist zombie adventurers are sentient and undead.

They still have brains, he literally wants skeletons.

ALRIGHT MISTER PEDANTIC, SENTIENT ANTAGONIST UNDEAD THAT ACT UNDER THEIR OWN WILL

Talking skeletons, undead servants, ghouls and whatnot.

Go fuck yourself you fucking nigger.

>Talking skeletons
literally mummies

>undead servant
not concilable with "acting under their own will". thus: literally ordinary zombies.

>This is a fine engraving a human, four humans, and a horse. The horse is impaled on the human. The horse is weeping. The four humans are laughing.

>The artwork relates to the founding of the elven settlement Horsefucks in the early spring of 69.

Settle down

I want to paint that kobold like one of those french girls.
Clothed and mid-copulation.

Maybe she's getting fucked right now and the painting nust doesn't show it.

Let's speculate on how mummies may one day interact with fort mode
>raiders recover artifact
>months later a mummy wanders onto the map
>curses the shit out of everyone, reforms and rises again a month after being "slain"

What if Mona Lisa was mid-orgasm?
I guess you couldn't Louvre yourself any more for some publicity.

Literally the same as that episode of Courage.

nice

THE MAN IN GAUZE THE MAN IN GAUZE THE MAN IN GAUZE KING RAAAAAAAAMSEEEEEEEES THE MAN IN GAUZE THE MAN IN GAUZE THE MAN IN GAUZE KING RAAAAAAAAMSEEEEEEEES

QT-BOLDSneed to be exterminateddesusenpai

adventure mode forging and sword embroidery when

oh man I didn't realize how much I wanted this until just now
sword writings
>it was inevitable
>pslam 23
>let !!fun!! rein

I couldn't help myself

When is /dfg/ usually most active? I'm running on EST time btw.

>decide to make pastures in the stone layer like a True Dorf™
>prepare a bunch of 11x11 rooms and flood them with a water
>mud everywhere
>nothing is growing
>manually check a few tiles
>actually moss grows just fine, but it's covered in mud and therefore undistinguishable from the muddied stone
>nice feature you dumb frog
>move pastures to the sand layer where I can actually see if my animals have shit to eat or not
>repurpose the muddied rooms as stockpiles for various goods
>everything is covered in mud and looks like crap
>once engravers are done with more urgent shit, delegate them to smoothing the muddied floors to make my corridors great again
>designate smoothing
>only a few tiles are flashing
>nani.engrv
>it looks like a bit of fungus makes the floor unsmoothable
>u fuking wot m8
>have a great idea
>construct some buildings on the moss and remove them
>both mud and moss are gone
>so is gabbro
>apparently stone turned into silt
>Jesus Christ, somebody take compiler away from that fucking toad
>as I wonder how to unfuck this, furrowed silt turns into silt cavern floor
>moss starts growing
>perfectly visible on now unmuddied silt floor
>ideal for pastures in the stone layer
>mfw

updates/tourneys
the rest of the time it's borderline off page 10 except when off topic

Ah I see. So like the 18 IPs we have right now is about the norm?

What is this image trying to convey

You tell me.

it's a feature you dip:
>Physical weathering, also called mechanical weathering or disaggregation, is the class of processes that causes the disintegration of rocks without chemical change. The primary process in physical weathering is abrasion (the process by which clasts and other particles are reduced in size). However, chemical and physical weathering often go hand in hand. Physical weathering can occur due to temperature, pressure, frost etc. For example, cracks exploited by physical weathering will increase the surface area exposed to chemical action, thus amplifying the rate of disintegration.
>Plant roots sometimes enter cracks in rocks and pry them apart, resulting in some disintegration
from en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering

',:^)

the thread has only been up for 4 hours. 60 posts in 4 hours is actually pretty fast by our standards.

in any case, calm down. /dfg/ is a slow general, and has always been slow, although it peaks after new releases. and that's fine.

What the fuck

How did I not notice

>1 KB
I still fell for it

All right my dudes. After being inspired by the writefaggotry in the previous thread, I have decided I would contribute a bit myself with a short vignette. Or, so I thought. Turns out I uh, I went full autism, and created a rather lengthy story. Also pls no bully, but I incorporated the races from the mod I have published ( dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12897 ). The mod has a .txt file containing lore stuff for all 12 races added by my mod (though only a few of them are used in the story) so reading it would probably clear a few things up. However, it probably isn't necessary. Anyway, here is the product of (I estimate) roughly 5 hours of constant work:

pastebin.com/frYr5CbV

If you read it pls tell me how you felt about it, what you liked/disliked ect. I actually hope to eventually make a living as a writer so little things like this are a good way to practice.

It's shit.

Saved for later

tfw

Thanks! I basically live in this general so when/if you get around to reading it, feel free to leave a critique because I will probably definitely see it.

I like to imagine archeologists in the future finding 1000+ years old hard drives all over with this symbolism and trying to decode what it means

it's lost
shitty /v/ meme for the sake of it's age it's kept around

A kidnapper has made off with the thread /dfg/

How fucking long does it take for furrowed soil to become unfurrowed? I moved those farms like 4 years ago. Do creatures have to walk over it or something? I thought it just regressed back to normal grass after a few seasons.

I liked your retarded cat avatarfagging more
Also story is

>I liked your retarded cat avatarfagging more

Oh was that considered avatarfagging? Sorry. I just use cat reaction images a lot because they're very noncontroversial and thus won't cause any derailing to whatever conversation is at hand. They're like the beige of memes.

>Also story is

th-thanks.

it takes a while, but it happens.

are you above ground in a mountain biome? grass doesn't grow back there.

I made another test, this one with spears vs pikes, you can check the full results here: pastebin.com/mQrpFMhe

The spear seems to be the superior weapon, the humans with the pikes didn't even win once, they got close sometimes, but never enough to win, while the humans with spears won and several times with a number of survivors significantly higher. This is pure speculation, but I think the reason why the humans with spears did better than the humans with pikes is that you only need one hand to hold the spear, while you need two to hold a pike, this is a big disadvantage, since if an attack manages to disable an arm, the effectiveness of the pike will be lowered drastically, while with a spear, you only have to worry about damage done to the arm that is holding the weapon, the damage done to the other arm will not affect the effectiveness of the weapon. The next step of this test would be to test these weapons against large creatures.

F

Beige is a shit color though.

I don't remember what biome it is, but grass has regrown under other old farms in this embark.
Maybe its spread across multiple biomes.

>Beige is a shit color though.

pls friends do not fight

fuck off eggnog

>7759 words
wo fuk niga

tl;dr

I don't get it.

>7 page uni assignment due to the 10th of august
>subject feels saturated after writing a single page

it's a stale meme that has lived on far past it's expiration date

loss*

Yeah I kind of went overboard with it. I didn't intend for it to be so long but I couldn't really think of any ways to shorten it and besides, I genuinely enjoy writing so its not like I had anything to lose by taking my time with it. Its a really nice feeling to be writing a story and feel a sudden urge to wrap it up only to realize "Hey wait a minute, I don't have a deadline. I can take my time and just keep going!" Its great.

Although to be honest this is the longest story I've ever written for anything. I'm pretty proud of it.

Honestly I feel that way a lot too with assignments. Luckily fiction is much easier.

I read it
>not one dickgirl

Besides that glaring flaw, what did you think about it? If you didn't like it, what problems did you have?

Check out this embark. Hematite at the bottom.

Look at how silly humans are, they build glass case to admire rock. In the fortress, we build case made of rock to admire glass window.

>dorf drops cellphone
>it cracks the concrete

A mean, it's obvious that you're a regular joe in terms of writing technique, but all in all it made me a lot interested in your mod races. What inspired their design?

>A mean, it's obvious that you're a regular joe in terms of writing technique

How could you suggest I improve? I have definitely noticed I tend to write in a sort of "samey" way sometimes. I'd really like to get better.

>but all in all it made me a lot interested in your mod races. What inspired their design?

Well a lot of my creative process comes from a stream of consciousness kind of thing. I just come up with a vague idea of what I want and it all just sort of comes together naturally, like solving a puzzle. However, I did have an overall set of guidelines for the races I intended to add. Since animal men already existed, and plenty of other mods tackled adding in more traditional fantasy races, I focused on adding more unique and "out-there" races, hence the name of my mod. My general ruleset was:

>They shouldn't be just "animal people", there should be some extra stuff going on.
>They shouldn't directly mimic a commonly used fantasy race
>If they do end up breaking rule one or two, their culture should be different enough that they could be considered a separate entity.

My way of figuring out just what I wanted was creating a culture and assigning it to a site, and then creating the physical creature after. Like for the Rux, for example, the first thing that popped into my head was the idea for a race of backstabbing schemers. I assigned them the [TREE_CITY] site, and then asked myself, what sort of creatures would fit a site like this? Birds was the first thing that popped into my mind, and after a few tweaks the Rux were all set up.

There's some more specific stuff I could go into as well, so if you have any more questions focused on specific races I'd be happy to answer them also.

>How could you suggest I improve? I have definitely noticed I tend to write in a sort of "samey" way sometimes. I'd really like to get better.
take actual courses instead of listening to people on the internet.

even the most celebrated writefaggotry on Veeky Forums and fanfic sites sounds cringey to people outside the echochambers, and certainly wouldn't pass as good literature. taking advice on Veeky Forums will only reinforce bad habits.

Oh I also take writing courses. I just like posting my stuff here because I find Veeky Forums is pretty good at tearing apart what people care about so even if the flaws that are pointed out are exaggerated, they still point me in the right direction. I mean, look at what you just did now. If I hadn't already been taking courses, the idea would certainly have been implanted in my head thanks to your advice.