What's the best gauge color, Veeky Forums?

What's the best gauge color, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/14557626
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

strawpoll.me/14557626

Black

white background with block lettering is GOAT

>t. boomer

pic related is best

>eyes burn

That's ok, I didn't need my retinas anyway.

Orange is the most tasteful

Red is objectively the best for your eyes, but I do like a nice green sometimes.

Green/Orange, aerospace colors

Green a best.

patrician taste, but I wholeheartedly agree.

Green>Amber>Red>>White>>>anything else>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> this fucking abomination

Saturated blue and red fucking disgusts me. I like a very light blue, or a medium green, and you literally can't go wrong with white.

Anything else doesn't really look right.

enjoy your headache

Accurate

bepis

did the check engine bulb burn out

not my pic but i like my 5th gen accord gauge color at night

i like mine, comfy

Do a lot of night driving, anything that isn't red/orange or similar warm hue is out. White/green are ok so long as they have a dimmer.

Don't need a fucking rainbow blasting ten colors of piss into my retinas so I can be 'cool' and 'hip' on insta.

Jesus christ how long was the expose on that?

I didn't know you needed a steering wheel to pilot a lighthouse.

Green obviously

all these green shitters

i have a WRX and the green is a fucking abomination

replacing it with white because it looks clean

Nothing wrong with a nice green

This one

blue

>white
>comfy

Amber most comfy

the new bmw digital gauges, they are just dark and white when in comfort mode, but turn into this when you turn on sport mode, i love it.

Not my pic but I always liked my old 626's green gauges

this, and only this

Came here to post this, FC cluster is maximum comfy.

Really like the black background and tritium glow lettering in old 90s japanese cars like my r32

Objectively the best colour.

I recently swapped out my R33s gauge lights for amber LEDs to match my head unit and it's so fucking comfy at night. I still have the aircon lights as that really '90s green and it's the perfect compliment to the amber.

Driving home at night with all the orange street lights is maximum comfiness.

VW dashes aren't nearly as bright as you all think they are. They've got brightness adjustment dials that can go from eye-burning to a very comfortable level and aren't that hard to read

>t. 03 Passat wagon driver who just reached 200k

there is absolutely nothing more comfy on a long nighttime drive than the amber glow of your gauges

nice pisshat

Did you take that picture with a fucking stone

Greeeeen

Definitely yeller

This.

the comfiest of all

that's piss yellow

Red.
Has lowest wave frequency and strains your eyes the least. Objectively the best.

Mazda and Volvo have the GOAT clusters

>anything but white/beige with black/dark brown lettering

Just did a bunch of reading on airplane cockpit illumination choices.

>Red
Red has the minimum impact on your night vision and results in less eyestrain. The rods in your eyes (peripheral vision and night vision) are least sensitive to red so reflections and glare from red gauges are less distracting. The downsides are that its more difficult to perceive detail under red light, the lens in your eyes have to work harder to refocus from white light to some in the near field under red light (ex, headlights to gauges)

>Amber, Orange, Yellow [aka the patricians superior compromise]
A compromise where much of the benefits of red are maintained but it is easier to perceive detail. The color temperature is closer to that of incandescent headlights which should also help with some of the near/far field adaptation.

>Green, Blueish-Green
The idea behind green is that the cones in your eyes are most sensitive to green light so it allows the lowest possible intensity. The hope is a dim green light will let you have your detail and hopefully preserve your night vision too. The military largely switched over to green because all other colors interfere with NVGs. And the green matches the color temperature of the NVGs when you look under them at the gauges, reducing the amount of eye adaptation needed. The downsides are that an overly intense green light is much more detrimental to your night vision than warmer colors. Also green tends to cause more eyestrain.

1/2

Green

2/2

>Blueish-White
Now things get even more interesting. Industrial standards and regulatory types like bluish-white because Red, Amber and Green have been standardized as indicator/warning lamp colors with specific meanings. They do not like general illumination sharing the same colors. The argument for bluish white is that it is more natural thus creating operator comfort and it makes colored indicator lamps more prominent. The argument against is that it's bad for night vision and can cause eye fatigue.

>Blue/Purple
For those that put fashion and appearances over function, for those that ate paint chips and paste as children. The worst of everything.

red is objectively the best because of what said, it doesnt fuck with your night vision.

on the interior of military warships, every light fixture (well, almost every light fixture) has a red bulb also installed, and there is always a switch to flip the lighting between white and red. Red is used at night, because, again, it doesn't impact your night vision. Bridges of ships are totally unlit (they have lights installed but only madmen turn them on and usually get yelled at for it) and screens are generally turned to the lowest intensity and sometimes even have curtains around the displays so that only the operator can see it.

Likewise, a lot of the displays that everyone can see on a bridge use red 7seg displays or red illumation on an analog gauge.

im willing to bet that in 99% of aircraft (and cars, really) the color of the displays is absolutely determined by what color of LEDs and 7seg units were cheapest when production started, despite all legitimate design considerations

The FAA and others are pushing hard for standardization on Blueish-White in commercial cockpits.

The military has specifications for NVG compatible Green, Blue-Green

Otherwise I agree with you. In the quest to maximize profits, greed often dictates design choices to the detriment of performance and aesthetics.
>pic related

Audi C4 era red. All red buttons. Fucking glorious, warm and comfy. Imagine cold windy winter, lots of snow, you open up your car, sit down on comfy seats, turn on lights and everything is nice warm red. As you cruise down the icy road, engine gets to working temp and warm breeze of air comes out of air vents touching your pink cold face cheeks. Youre so happy, smile appears on your face, your hands get warmer. You almost dont feel road bumps cause this land barge is pretty soft too. Oh yes

but how can you tell if the oil pressure warn light comes on?

Add yellow headlights are you're set.

>not driving the actual car from The Hunt for Red October

Your car starts to either billow smoke or sputter out.

I miss yellow lights. Even just walking to work at night I constantly get blinded by fuckers and their ultrabrite white angery LED lamps.

amber trumps all

>car from a shitty innacurate fan fiction movie where Tom Clancy self inserts as the main character and some Russian captain just happened to read his books and be in fag love with him

fucking terrible movie.

i fuckin like that

Daily: yellowish green
Sports: blue

Red light is the best for darkness. On the bridge of Navy ships, we use red lights when necessary at night in order to not disturb everyone's night vision.

well then, piss yellow

Like typical autists you people take the question literally and try to measure it objectively. Subjective opinions on what looks the best, and red looks like garbage.

Car?

Yeah I was just trying to be clever, it's a car not an actual submarine

Pics famalam

WHAT car?

>thinking any color other than green or amber is a good gauge color

In the movie? It's not a car, it's a fictional submarine based on the Typhoon class.

Screw Cucktober, I'm asking about the car in your pictures

I have a 9000 to, but prefer the front lit gauges from my 900.

Older Subaru interiors are /underrated/, I still prefer BMW red though

Keep mine as dim as possible at night.
5% window tint + low dash settings = smoooooth night

Yellow or green.

the correct answer

looks like shit. you have shit taste

COMF

jesus christ do you know what hes asking you moron

Orange

Bricknose ftw

>Glance at gauges
>Look back up
>Green silhouette of gauges floating around everywhere you look

that is dank
Orange/red a best. Comfy warm lighting feels
Blue is tryhard manlet tier
Green is futuristic spaceship in 80s tier

>all these people saying red is comfy

are you fucking retarded? red is the opposite of comfy, why do you think its used as an emergency colour?

soft green is comfiest. green is calming, red is angry. learn your basics about colours.

immersion

yea the green at night after i smoked a bowl or two gets me feeling like im driving a spaceship

Haters gonna hate

Is that an original Nismo Z33 or did you swap the dashboard instruments?

Nah, we'll just call you an autist for latching onto objectively the worst solution and being proud of it.