What is the deal with Miatas?

What is the deal with Miatas?

Other urls found in this thread:

youwheel.com/home/2016/06/20/car-body-torsional-rigidity-a-comprehensive-list/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

use google you stupid phone poster if you are genuinely curious.

and if you're shitposting, please kill yourself.

Miata a qt!

People wanted a cheap but quick RWD car. First was the AE86, all of them have been slammed into a wall trying to do hektik skiddz, so they moved onto the S chassis. Then the S-chassis has been slammed into a wall trying to do hektik skiddz, and now they moved to the Miata. Once the Miata reaches extinction, I'm sure they'd move onto the 350/370Z since there's so many of them -now-.

>stance

The deal is they're cute af and a great platform to build on.

Stock, they're slow as shit. Handling stock is forgiving, but not amazing in the bends

Who are you, Seinfeld?

the owners of this overrated, bland car are a cancer that needs to be eliminated, just like anime
fucking gay as hell

>50/50 weight distribution
>ease of maintenance
>room for modification
>pretty good handling
>light weight
>stock engine is under powered but fun to beat on
>transmission holds up well
>cute
One that always seems to get left out though is how fucking horrible the visibility in them is. With the top up you can't see a goddamn thing. The side mirrors are basically useless.

>>Second highest body frame stiffness in it's class

The only thing that gets head in a Miata is the roof.

Fortunately the Miata is incredibly difficult to drift without modification. You can slide it but actually holding a big high-angle drift is very, very difficult and the usual shadetree tuning techniques that are used on other cars just make it worse. I see them being used more as chase cars with a bunch of cameras since they can easily keep up in the corners.

>One that always seems to get left out though is how fucking horrible the visibility in them is.
The hardtop's massive rear window corrects the soft top's visibility problems. It's fucking crazy being able to look out the passenger window and see out the back at the same time.

Side mirrors are fine if you've got convex glass.
The stock ragtop rear window is absolutely terrible, it's like playing roulette when backing out of parks. The hardtop pretty much eliminates this.

The lesser talked about things are how noisy they are on long trips, how hot the trans tunnel and firewall gets during summer. There's zero thermal mitigation and the hot coolant running through the heater core practically melts your foot area.

The cowl shake with the top down is incredibly strong, there's cooling issues on the 1.6's, getting an aftermarket seat is easier said than done, don't bother upgrading your stereo, vast majority of the viscous diffs have failed, driveshaft is single piece and non rebuild-able, the parachute-lift rear bumper, the relays on the window switches shit out every month.

I dunno man, there's a lot that definitely could have had a small amount of attention during design. Before buying one, I thought I did a decent job reading up but noone ever mentions the heat, R12 refrigerant is practically dead and the road noise really is bad on roads that aren't glass-smooth after 300k's.

What is the stiffest?

They're just fun. The controls are unusually responsive and give a lot of feedback, so the car feels extremely lively at still-legal speeds. That's really the thing - it makes you feel like you're going faster than you really are. It's also very forgiving when the rear end starts sliding. It won't hold a slide so it's not a drifter, but imo it takes effort to crash one.

They're like the small yappy dog of cars.

yeah i agree blindspots with a normal soft-top are pretty bad. it can be fixed with a hardtop or a 3 window soft top. I have a 3 window soft top and its pretty nice.

Stock top is fucking terrible, not to mention the scattered light in the sun.

How do those quarters fare when it's folded up? My old tops failure points were right in the middle of each one.

You can correct the cowl shake, overheating, aerodynamics, and garbage VLSD by buying a 1.8L NB with a Torsen instead.

I mean, you're not wrong lol. I just don't like the shape of the NB's nor the 3~k price difference for a clean one in my area.

oh also the soft top on the NB has a glass window and the whole car is effectively twice as rigid as the NA because the bottom half of the car is dual-layer steel. The downside to this is the NB is more prone to rust.

I hear you, the styling just oozes late '90s jellybean, but it is a superior car in every aspect. They do look hot as fuck with a hardtop though.

Not arguing the superiority - if I liked the shape I'd have been all over one. A very vast majority of chassis/suspension kits are available simply to catch up.

The wet noodle comparison is pretty spot on.

>oh also the soft top on the NB has a glass window
To be fair, NBs are now old enough that most are on their 2nd top, and you can't really get originals so it's mostly Robbins tops. So what kind of window is entirely up to whoever owned the car at the time.

That's a fair point. My NB had the original top at 150,000 miles and it was starting to shred around where the glass pulls on the vinyl between it and the rain rail when the top is retracted. At least with aftermarket tops there are options to improve rearward visibility, so you could luck out and find one with a panorama window or that funky 3-window one.

I got mine about a year ago for about $150. If I have the time, I try to make sure the quarters fold up flat. If you put it down a lot without making sure the seams aren't crinkled up, I could see them starting to detach.

I've had mine for almost 10 years. You just need good springs/shocks and it's the most fun you can have barely breaking the speed limit.

It's the cheapest convertible you can get that's not total shit or a Mustang.

it's something broke soyboys here like to worship because they can't afford a real car.

Am I the only one here that thinks they're good enough stock? An extra, like, 50hp would be nice but I don't think it needs more beyond that unless you're into motorsports. For $3k or under it's a pretty well rounded car. If you're paying more than that you're getting ripped off though desu unless it's some unicorn with he uses the term soyboy
What do you consider a real car, soyboy?

>What do you consider a real car, soyboy?
Something that isn't a shitty little Miata.

Both the NB/NB2 and especially the MSM (rare) are far out of my price range. I have too many hobbies and my NA6 is 2nd on the list.

I think the mirrors are great, plenty of visibility. If they're lacking, I don't see how. No matter where they are, I can see them with either rear/side, side/turn head. I don't know if the convex glass is normal, though.
I've got 1.8 calipers/rotors front/rear and koni yellows. Upgrading to an NA8/NB would make any upgrades on my car a total loss at this point.
>Stereo

There's so much road noise that my 60.9cs's are drowned out for the better half of the mids and only treble is heard above 60mph. I've got about 20kg of deadening and decoupling coming my way in Feb, which will help, but she's so goddamn noisy at speed lol.

Why is the hood fitment so often shitty on used NAs?

But ya didn't answer the question with an actual car or something, could you at least elaborate on why you don't like them instead of sounding like a smug piece of shit?

Does yours have headrest speakers? I changed out everything in mine and the sound is great, even on the highway. Just have to turn it up a bit.

Stock seats did, I've since swapped in the mazdaspeeds. On the backroads or motorway (Nz has shocking roads, all rough) I usually just crank 80's rock.

What vintage of miata is the best?

That hood is popped, user

Ah. I see it in alot of pics i thought it might have been a common result from damage.

What you probably see is the gap between the back of the popups and the hood when they're down.
This is fixed by just pulling the flange on the back into shape again

>But ya didn't answer the question with an actual car or something
I gave you an answer, dumbass. "Something that isn't a shitty Miata." i.e. ANY CAR that's not a shitty Miata.

There are plenty of cars worse than a miata, objectively. You just sound like a little kid who is about to throw a tanty over not getting enough attention.

Looks like you didn't even read my post, retard

>You just sound like a little kid who is about to throw a tanty over not getting enough attention.

Whatever you consider a "tantrum"... You're just asshurt because I said something hurtful about your shitty miata.

Except I did, fish brain.

Doesn't have to be an just one actual car. Any car is literally better that a gayata. lol

sperg more.

You're just mad nobody here is agreeing with your personal preference.
>It's shitty
Is such a terrible argument.

Except you didn't. See >Could you at least elaborate on why you don't like them instead of sounding like a smug piece of shit?

what is reading comprehension

You're not offending anywhere here, you're too transparent.

>any car is literally better than a gayata
including pic related?

>You're just mad nobody here is agreeing with your personal preference.
Nah, I'm not actually. Could give less of a shit if you disagree with me. Watching miatababbies sperg over something they consider an unpopular opinion is something that amusing though.
Except I did.

>"Something that isn't a shitty Miata."

>what is reading comprehension
Something that's common among angry miatafags lol
>You're not offending anywhere here, you're too transparent.
>getting bombarded by (You)s from angry miatafags

Hmmmm....

Yeah sure.

>post an opinion, act pretentious about it
>people call you out for trying too hard and not actually explaining your views
>WOW SO TRIGGERED XDDDD GOTCHA HOW WILL MIATABABBIES EVER RECOVER GET TROLLED

Still never answered my question by the way.

>post an opinion, act pretentious about it
then miatababbies sperg out about it, like clockwork

>people call you out for trying too hard and not actually explaining your views
except i'm not trying at all?

>>WOW SO TRIGGERED XDDDD GOTCHA HOW WILL MIATABABBIES EVER RECOVER GET TROLLED
this is what the fumed up delusional miatafag believes

Oh, and I did answer it, fish brain.

>calling out bad logic means you're offended

You still never answered my question about why you don't like these cars. Saying "Miatas are bad because they are bad" makes no sense. Not taking this discussion any further considering you lack the basic reading skills and ability to follow directions required to answer a simple question.

>except i'm not trying at all?
You might not be aware of it, but you are and it's blatantly obvious

>calling out bad logic means you're offended
yet, here we are. you're so asshurt that you're still here giving me those delicious (you)s

>You still never answered my question
Ah, but I did, fish brain. Guess I have to keep reminding you over and over since you have dementia.
>"Something that isn't a shitty Miata."

>Not taking this discussion any further
assmad Miatasperg rage quitting from an argument yet again, like fucking clockwork lmao.

>You might not be aware of it, but you are and it's blatantly obvious

Lol, I'm not even trying at all. You miatafags get pissed off real easily with low octane bait it's pathetic but hilarious regardless.

>light
>cheap
>rwd
>convertible
>easy to work on
>great transmission (6 speed NB makes my dick rock hard)
>cute

why are the most vocal miata shitposters subiecucks

Alright then Veeky Forums. In 10 years, what will be the "next miata". Granted it keeps to the same checklist as

I bought the newest one which has the blind spot monitoring that deals with the rear visibility issue

>very lightweight
>cheap
>great suspension setup
>will keep pace with cars it has no business running with if its got decent tires
>na's are cute and NBS look cool
>can be made very fast with a turbo kit
>ubiquity of parts
>gr8 transmission
>easy to work on
>unbelievably reliable
>girls adore them
Literally the only argument you ever see on this shity latavian sheep herding forum is "lolgay" because there's no argument against the miata.
Fc rx7 I think. They're super cheap rn. In 10 years it might be the FRS tho those will be getting old at that point

>anything rotary
>becoming the new Miata
No way in hell. The Toyabaryu on the other hand is pretty much spot on

What's going on in this thread?

I really want one of these

>Am I the only one here that thinks they're good enough stock?
No, the balance of the car is really good stock. It has plenty of power to overtake traffic and you can just give it huge bootfuls of throttle with no consequence. In turns, it has just enough power to steer with the throttle but not so much you hang the ass out or shred the tires. In the rain you can skid every corner with complete confidence. The powerband is frankly massive for such a small engine and the car will happily scream all the way up to 7k. And then when you have to putt along at 10 under the speed limit, 5th gear @2500 rpm, it's perfectly happy doing that too.

If you need more than 150 hp to the wheels to have fun you are just a shit driver.

>The cowl shake with the top down is incredibly strong
i have a bad news for you
your car has been in an accident

>oh also the soft top on the NB has a glass window and the whole car is effectively twice as rigid as the NA because the bottom half of the car is dual-layer steel

the fuck are you talking about lol
there is almost no difference between na and nb in terms of chassis rigidity

youwheel.com/home/2016/06/20/car-body-torsional-rigidity-a-comprehensive-list/

and yes, nc has a better chassis than s2000 which is pretty fucking hilarious

to this day i wonder what the fuck was toyota thinking with this thing
seriously, how can you fuck it bad so badly?

>almost no difference
>NB2 is 1,486 Nm/deg stiffer than NA
>ignoring the use of the term practically to define a statement that was not supposed to be completely mathematically accurate
>being this autistic

Mazda MX-5 (NA, 1990 – 1993) 4,881
Mazda MX-5 (NA, 1994 – 1998) 5,152
Mazda MX-5 (NB, 1999 – 2000) 5,219 (+1.3% torsional; +7.6% bending; +35% dynamic torsional)
Mazda MX-5 (NB, 2001 – 2005) 6,367 (16-in wheels: +22% torsional; +16% bending); 5,532 (15-in wheels: +6% torsional; +13% bending);

>practically
effectively, rather.

are you retarded or something? can't you read?
the actual chassis rigidity of an nb is 5,532Nm/deg
the rest are the bracings which you might as well slap on the older generations too

and besides, 6,367Nm is still fucking nothing
it's still a wet noodle

NB's are the same price as NA's where I live

Hmm, lets see! For a handful of bucks i can buy a boring ass practical sedan or a small, light, rwd convertible with pop ups.

It really hurts my brain.

Light slow cars are way more fun for street driving than heavy fast cars.

>tfw some retard friends say the Miata is good for drifting

In its class, good old S2000

QUICK!

reply with MIATA IS MY WAIFU, I GIVE HER MY LAIFU

or suffer pic related to you are lolicar

Chain-letter superstition called, it wants the faggotry back.

plenty of videos of people drifting stock mx5 NDs, whatchu talkin bout

lol no

>>Honda S2000 (1st-Gen, AP1) 7,100
>>Mazda MX-5 (NB, 2001 – 2005) 6,367

Nigga can you read

What the fuck ever nerd, only an autistic person would attempt to prove an exaggeration incorrect.

>Mazda MX-5 (NC, 2006 – 2008) 8,132 (+47% torsional; +22% bending. See press release)

LS swapped fc then?

MIATA IS MY WAIFU, I GIVE HER MY LAIFU

>stiff suspension and sway bars
>eliminate roll and grip
>slide for days

[a wild short wheelbase appears]
suddenly physics

just add more power and she'll be right

Theyre too small for non manlets and non women to be comfy

cuz they want to be the KANGZ of the stance vapelords market.

You're right, its low octane bait, but its not from a lack of trying, you are just so bad at baiting you have to target miatafags lol.

Come on man, they aren't even that fun to fuck with.

Go mess with people who actually act out or maybe try and rile up a hard target, its fucking sad watching you fail at fucking with miatas, your senile grand mother could shit post better then this, step up your game soyboy.

Who said anything about comfort being a goal.