/mg/ Miata General

QOTD: What did you do with your Miata today?

Other urls found in this thread:

miata.net/garage/hardtop/
inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/1992-mazda-miata/6404669596.html
losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/cto/d/1996-miata/6343088857.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I might be buying a hardtop today, though I've got a question. It's currently on a NA. Can I put it on my NB fine, or will I have to change out the strikers or something?

My battery took a shit this morning and I have 0 monies for a new one.

Removing the power steering pump? Y/N?
I am tempted just for the potential to wrench on the weekend.

>mfw weight loss gains

i drove to school
thats really it
i dont have the energy or money to work on my car anymore, especially with christmas and another semester coming up that i have to pay for
i bought myself a 626 headunit on a whim and now im regretting it bc my parents wont get off my dick about it
maybe gonna sell my wheels and get rota grid vs with the cash, theyre worth a bit and i dont like them at all

GUYS.
My Track FRS is Dead.
>Rip
This weekend I'll be driving around Texas looking for a Miata to replace it.

Tips?
Advice?
Information?
>Pic related

What happened?

I crashed it

It's a stupid weight reduction tactic for poor ricers. I've only known poor ricers in gutted civics doing that. I use to own an AW11 with manual steering and the novelty is only there when I'm hooning, it sucks for everything else.

Get a decently priced one, check for rust and make sure the tranny isn't complete shit. Also, 1.8 if you're gonna keep it stock or swap an engine, 1.6 if you plan to turbo it since it handles it better, not saying the 1.8 doesn't handle turbo, its just the 1.6 is far more robust.

Just ordered a cheap spec D wheel and adapter because the foam OEM grips are too loose from age and sometimes I'll knick the horn buttons when I'm out hooning especially on wet track days.

Has anyone replaced their stock shifters for some rice? I want an 8-ball one purely for the shits.

if you do it, modify the steering rack accordingly

wanted to treat the miat to a new badge but got the wrong size

Worth it in my opinion. I don't care about manual steering, I love it. And getting 3% of you power back from less drag on the motor is a nice effect. I would agree with getting a modified rack, makes a small but noticeable difference in how it feels.

miatas power steering system is actually pretty good, i dont see the point in removing it.

the 1.8 is just as robust as the 1.6 mang

My crank pulley bolt came loose and the timing gear ate into the timing belt boss. Now even with the correct torque on the bolt and with loctite it still comes loose. I think the gear ate away enough of the boss to where they dont sit flush against each other anymore. fucking annoying

not my pic but its basically this but way worse

Finally a wheel that all of /mg/ will approve of?

miata.net/garage/hardtop/
Have a squizz at that.
:O
WHERE. Does it come in 15x8.

Fuck. Is that a shoop?
The dish edges look too sharp and the reflection is all expanded.

Sadly it's only a Photoshop.

Welp time to keep saving for hypergrams.

It's possible. Wide e 30 bottlecaps coming through

Should i but this miata?

Jesus God no!

Y tho

How bout dis one?

Why is the hood fitment so often shit?

I appreciated its appearance

nice job you forgot the pic from the other thread

Nobody has answered?

Ive been looking for ine and have noticed it in more than a few pics.

OwO

Reposting question from last thread
Let's say that I hypothetically hit a curb and messed up a wheel. Let's say I now decided to pull out the old oem rims from hibernation and put some new wheels on them, what's a good pair of 185/60/14 wheels for the NA?

any of these miats worth checking out? i

losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/cto/d/1996-miata/6343088857.html

Get the 96. Stay away from the salvage 92.

Buy and throw into a lake to never be seen again.

Hey eurofriends! Where is the one stop shop for coilovers and other suspension upgrades?

Why are the 15" bbs so much more desirable than the 14"? The 14s are lighter and better looking. What makes the 15s better?

better tire selection
that's about it

you should butt my dick

>Buying an automatic miata
For what purpose?

gave it a much needed clean, tfw rice tail lights

for manual swap

don't forget to post next week

Is Miata a good car to go sightseeing around Europe in? I've seen claims it's not great on long distance trips and it has pretty bad mpg.

I thought ze Germans would be better than to blatantly lie in their ads like this. Am I to assume the mileage is "100k" as well?
2500 seemed fair-ish for a 2002 NB with a hardtop
it's also got a bunch of rust on sills

depends which one
ND and NC are perfectly fine, meanwhile older generations are way too uncomfortable
however if you'll plan your trip correctly and include as many backroads as you can then i would pick NA over any other car

I'm referring mainly to the NB.

bump

snow skids
The torsen is excellent in the snow, unless you're trying to get up a mountain, then the car's a bit too light to grip, but it doesn't get stuck or want to loop around. Even if you get wheelspin the car will drive perfectly straight, and when it _is_ sideways, just lifting the throttle will pull it straight again.

Dont drive on highways and you will be fine.
Went on a highway once and i hated it.

i wish my antenna worked

>Is Miata a good car to go sightseeing around Europe in?
Not during the winter.

I drove from Texas to Montana, then to California and back to Texas in my NA last year. It was perfectly comfortable.

Y'all need to git gud.

bought it

i'm still excited, although i'm already preparing for serious expenses. i bought it with that in mind, but still
>roof is broken
>driver's door won't lock/unlock
>engine just started clacking like a diesel, it's not annoying when you rev it but it's obvious that i need to fix it asap
>there is a rust hole in chassis, i'll have to get it cut out and replaced with something nicer
>windows don't move
>various other small issues

but god i'm happy. 1.6 nb with lsd, my first anyhow sports car. handles like a dream, and even 1.6 has enough power to make me happy. this feel when you can safely overtake people for the first time in your life, and all of that while enjoying primal sound of revving up to 7k

congrats! post pics.
My NB was not perfect either but I've discovered it's a very easy and fulfilling car to work on. Everything you might expect would take ages to do are very simple, though there are a few things that should be simple that take forever, like removing the coil pack.

if the clacking is not super loud, creating noticeable vibration or power loss you may simply need a valve clearance adjustment. The NB's engines use solid lifters unlike the NA, so the ticking comes from normal wear and isn't much to worry about unless you use it as a race car. Put some good oil in and go wild. These are shitbox engines, so they sound pretty clunky and industrial normally.

Window regulators and door work are fairly easy, just don't get the black goop from the water barrier on you or any part of the car because that shit does not come off. I would hazard a guess that your window regulator is shot because the window bushing has lost all its lubricant, so you will want to get some Delrin replacement bushings after you fix the regulator otherwise it will just fail again. That was the first mod I did to mine. Silky smooth window retraction all day every day.

Enjoy it. Show those fools in their lifted station wagons who owns the road.

Im looking into geting a hard top and im trying to get a black on white look, so im debating on geting a white or black top. also I have black wheels that im going to put on next summer i think i have a pic if anyone is intrested in seeing them
> shit quality photo phone poster
my b senpai

The NB has a slightly tighter cockpit that some people find uncomfortable. If you have long legs, you will be hurting for a place to stretch them. I'm 6'2" so I removed the dead pedal in mine to give me a bit more legroom and I can put the cruise control on and stick my feet behind the pedals to straighten my knees out. I've also removed a good deal of the foam in the driver's seat and back, and it's stupid comfy. I almost don't want to get out of the car. The Miata's ride is soft enough that extended highway trips are no problem -- you get a very racecarish bumping-along feel in response to larger road imperfections, but the car pretty much soaks up the rest.

These cars seem fun as hell.
I've got money to blow but not just yet...

Drove mine today for the last time until spring. It's supposed to snow tonight, tomorrow, and maybe Sunday, so they'll be salting the roads. I'm really hoping I can get my life together career-wise over the winter so I can start putting money into it again.

White tops are easy to find but the colors can be off. Mine was originally red then repainted and it doesn't really match the car whose white is slowly oxidizing into Ford Ivory. Black OEM tops exist but most are repaints. If you're not planning on tracking it you might be able to find a Snugtop for cheap, I've seen a lot of those in black.

is that your car? that pic looks very familiar
> get my life together career-wise
I know that feel senpai i work in a very sesonal job and winter is alot slower and all i want to do is dump money in my yatta

That's my car. I've posted that pic in a couple /mg/ threads so that might be where you've seen it. Same thing with me. I have a seasonal position at my company where I used to work ~10 months a year, then be laid off for the other two, but recently my company has become super greedy. The way over hire during the busy season to get the work done as fast as possible, then they lay us all off. I just got back from a 5 month lay off, and now 3 weeks in I'm probably going to be laid off again until late February. How the company treats us combined with the toxic people I work with really makes me want to leave the company.

do you think with these wheels it would look good with a black top, im thinking it would. Also is there much point to install a roll bar if it has a hard top?

I work hvac in a very small company and greed is a huge thing and with the 2 combined sucks beacause of shitty wages shitty hours and the boss is a dick head so no x-mass bonuses

I guess I can kind of understand that with a smaller business, but the company I work for is a billion dollar company. I don't really see a reason that they should treat their employees the way they do. I spent my lay off working on getting my hoisting licenses so I think I'm going to volunteer for the lay off over the next couple weeks so I can try to pursue that. This way if that doesn't work out I'll have my current company to fall back on in a few months.

>that plate

I don't even have an antenna on mine

Yeah, that'd look pretty cool. Nice wheels.

The hardtop is basically just plastic. It will not protect you in a rollover. I mean it might keep your head getting shaved off by the pavement or induce the car to roll right side up, but if you drive hard or ever plan to go to a track you want a rollbar. It stiffens the chassis even more and improves handling, and the half-cab rollbars most people get aren't even that heavy.

I also find it perfectly fine on highways, however if I had to do it regularly I would possibly want to wear earplugs or noise canceling audio plugs for listening to music

>live in country too poor to salt the roads

open diff hectic skidz here i come!

Lucky you, mine is garaged until spring due to the salt

What can possibly happen if it sits in a garage all winter and how can someone prevent it?
Will you run the engine on regular basis?

>tfw your miats is your only car and you must brave the snow and salt and shit drivers together

GO! GO! LET'S GO!
KAGAYAKU MASHIN~!

I'm wondering this as well as I will probably have mine sit in a barn over at my parents house. Should I ask my dad to fire up and rev the engine every few days or will it be fine come spring?

Firing up the engine occasionally is for cars that sit for years without being driven and you fire them up every couple of months, or more often for carbed vehicles.
A few months of chilling in a garage will not hurt a thing. You may want to disconnect the battery, but there's not much to drain it unless you have an alarm.

how should i take care of my nb in the winter if i don't even have garage? i think i'll buy this piece of cloth that you use to hide the car from snow, but what else?

Thinking about isntalling power locks. How the hell do I wire the relay? Never actually bothered with wiring [and have no tools for that]. Can it be done without big hassle?

I air up the tires to the maximum pressure to prevent flat spots. I charge the battery occasionally to keep it healthy. Fuel can go bad so I add a stabilizer.
Brakes can stick a bit, mainly if they weren't dry when put away, but you may as well lubricate them every spring regardless.
Going for a nice drive before putting it away to ensure it knows you love it is mandatory.
Obviously rats or mice could cause problems. Do NOT keep a cat in the garage all winter even if it seems like an easy solution
Visit it regularly, see pic related

I just cant pick one model to buy.

get one of each gen

>tfw can't find a cool coloured miata

got a jackson racing intake and header off craigslist

>making my miata a delivery car

how fucked am i? so far its been dead reliable as a daily. got it at 120k miles and now at 131k and its been smooth sailing. stock

Find a Splash Green one matey.

>tfw my favourite colour on a Miata is a rich gasoline green metallic
>I'll never have an NA with that colour
Feels pretty horrible.

more pics of the corolla?

so my '91 has like a brake squeal sound but when I'm not braking. It happens when it is cold, I don't think it is the throw-out bearing because it does it in neutral and when in gear. Any of you experience this?

it doesn't matter if it is moving or not btw

Have fun delivering.

span out in 3 times in about 5 minites, first snow in rwd. stopped traffic in my town was a good laugh

I got something similar. Check the thickness on the brake rotors, mine were about 1-2mm out of spec on all sides. I hope I can afford a set of rotors soon, but b/c of import taxes a set of rotors+pads is like $300.
I hate this shit, you american fucks can get away with $100 for everything

>everybody creeps around with 15kmh
>meanwhile I'm drifting around roundabouts
I fucking love winter

badenser raus aus deutschland

dumbass

>snowfall stops
>everything turns into shit

Have fun while it lasts.

>AHEGAO

There are some states more cucked than we are. Queue is long

gelbfiaßler ab nach frankreich

Bin Sachsen-Anhaltler, geh doch selber

I drove it.
Was impressed it started at -4°c considering it's on megasquirt and I haven't calibrated the cold start tune. I got scared when I got it into boost and it started getting all sideways.

ist ja noch schlimmer, ihr scheiß ossi-wirtschaftsflüchtlinge macht uns hier den wohnungsmarkt kaputt

geh zurück wo du hergekommen bist du minderwertiges stück dreck