Ethereum Mining

Does anyone mine ethereum out there? I'm looking to get into it. wondering how profitable it really is.

picture is unrelated

mining is not really profitable unless you get free electricity or you purchase an expensive ASIC or FPGA setup

gpu mining with will literally lose you money

i dont pay for my electricity or internet, but i have like average parts in my computer.

I know it's probably not profitable so I might just put straight cash into eth or thru bitcoin. im just a broke student trying to fuck around with small amounts of money haha

I have two 280x and they give me 0.1 ETH each day. I have free electricity so its worth it for me.

>ASIC or FPGA setup
Doesn't exist for Ethereum. It could be possible, but it would cost A LOT to make such hardware for ETH and it would be an extremely dumb venture since it's going to be POS soon.

if i don't pay for my electricity but have an average PC would it be worth it?

What GPU do you have?

It takes two minutes to start mining ETH, just try and see.
1. Download ethereum wallet and get an address
2. Go to ethermine.org
3. Download the Genoils Miner.
4. Follow the instructions on ethermine.org, basically make a *.bat file with your address and some random workername
5. Run the *.bat file, if you get less than 5 MH/s then you probably shouldnt bother.

i dont even know honestly lol i think im not gonna mine, im just gonna transfer some bitcoin over

even tho i feel too late on ETH

Imagine how people felt with bitcoin when it went from 0,1 USD to 20 USD.

Any news on when it is moving to POS?

>haha
leave

imagen that btc was 1st crypto now imagen eth was the 239th crypto.

imagen to losses in the future.

just imagen.

>got an entire warehouse full with grafix cards that are all powered by solar panels

JUST IMAGEN MY PROFITS

That Genoils exe file doesnt load for me when I open it. The dos screen flashes up for a second then disappears and nothing else

Mining is going to cease in like a years time you would be better off mining ETC since thats not going to POS

Citation for that time line?

Open notepad. Paste the text below in, except replace my ethereum address with the one you want to get paid to. Then save it as config.bat in the genoil folder and run that, not the *.exe file.

setx GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
setx GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
ethminer.exe --farm-recheck 200 -G -S eu1.ethermine.org:4444 -FS us1.ethermine.org:4444 -O 0xf0b623cbB9731f5E58760d5dE89Ed0E90D1da7b8.WorkerName

Also, why not mine eth while you can and then switch once it's time to?

I'm getting 20MH/s on an r9 380, does geth always use up a lot of bandwidth?

No, but is there any specific reason why this will affect the price??

(not cost to mine obv, the price of ETH itself)

Well I think that the hope (from the markets point of view) is that much like bitcoin they will wait until things are stable to implement a large change like that.

They haven't said how much coin will be released at what intervals so the value is kind of up in the air.

Mining uses 8 kbps or something. I scrypt mined an entire month through my cell phone that was limited at 50 MB/month once...

Yeah sorry I just realised it was my wallet syncing. I think I'll get no more than $1 a day from eth mining myself

It's all a speculation as the price of ETH can go up 100x if you hold long. Then you'd retroactively would have made 100 USD/day.

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I get a message in Dos saying i have insufficient GPU memory. Not sure why. I updated my graphics card driver but I have a NVIDIA Geforce310M. I guess it's too old.

Yes, you need 2GB on your GPU in order to mine. Just buy some and hold on to it.

I've got a gtx750ti with 2Gb, but I'm having the same trouble. What can I do?

It says -FS invalid argument and closes.