/ccg/ - Classic Car General

Can't be bothered to copy/paste on mobile at work edition.

>20 to 25 years
>some appeal
>not literal shit
>etc.

Welp, I got my Packard last night and, while it's rusty and has issues, I may just clear coat it and drive it as-is; calling it the "Pack-rat."

how much of difference is it between regular insurance and classic ins?

Did u cop?

It's a substantial difference; provided they don't think you drive it daily.

Remember, if you're ever in an accident, you were taking it on a "shakedown" drive to see if you fixed ______ issue.

Cop what?

fug i didn't read the OP text. I was asking if you finally bought the Packard.

Yep. Tomorrow I'm going to check it out properly; run the serial number on the engine and verify that it's a 356 with a 327 head on it, etc.

inb4 it's stolen

I've got the title; it can't be stolen, unless you mean the entire car getting stolen. To which, I say, good luck. It's a huge, ugly, conspicuous barge with next to no value.

You classic car fags are faggot

@18323758
(You)

@18323758
Thanks.

@18323758

>being a homophobe
Uh sweetie

Hey! Its not just the fags! I'm transexual and I love classic cars too!

Hey guys, I'm about to do a turbo350 rebuild swap, and put a lsd rear gear swap, it has a 2.41 rear gear (which sucks ass except for low rpm at 80)
What should I shoot for? I'm thinking 2.73 but idk,

And should I do x-pipe or h-pipe?, I'm going to finally get rid of the singular exhaust that the cuckifornia emissions put on

3:73 would put the most value in the car.

But if you want a driver gear with a 3 speed auto, you'd be better off going with a 3.42 or at the lowest 3.23. Those highway gears must be awful. You're suppose to be able to spin the wheels out on a Trans Am.

If youre making an effort to rebuild and swap in a trans, just get an OD trans. If mpg and style is your thing, 2.73 will be about as slow as youll want; but you lose the point of that car.

Nothing wrong with a good old brojob or a reach around, don't be so insecure fagboy

Why not go with true duals? Or does cali not allow that?

Lurker here. Stripped suspension out of my 1955 f250, installed a d44 (lol) in the read out a light duty f100. And started mocking up twin I beam front suspension. Goal is to build this thing out of spare parts I have and spend minimal money in it. I have a bit of a ford truck graveyard. I have a 360fe/c6 combo to put in it. Should be ok for a while, only has 2.72 gears, so should cruise nicely

This is after bolting the 44 in place of the dana 61 with 4.88 gears lol

I'm in Ohio but from the several resto jobs on Plymouths and caddy's and ECT I always did a crossover, it seamed to help a little in the lower end. I'm already welding up the exhaust with 2 3/4" stainless tubing and magnaflow muffs
>T. Master tech for 5 years and CNC programmer for the last 3

Pulling the 360/c6 that was mocked up in it and pulling the front suspension and steering. Excuse the potato quality photos

How i left the shop last night

And tonight I installed 2 inch lift coils in my 79 f100. Had 4 inch coils but they were just too much. It sits just right now

Found a picture of my dads old car in 1988, can't for life of my remember wtf it was.

1971 Buick Skylark Custom (appearance package vinyl top, interior, grille badging, etc) Hardtop Coupe in Cornet Gold.

>shift kit in 4L80E
>gotta remove a torx bolt in the valve body
>a fucking TORX BOLT

Whats going on everyone? Today I got to mess around with my new baby.

1986 subaru leone

I put 100 miles on the ford today picking up my AR and running around.

also frig off pig

no you heck off.

Just be happy Im not posting the cabrio

I am desu. you sell it yet?

>tfw no desire to buy AR because I shot M16s and M4s for years
.223 is so meh

it's purely to put thousands of rounds down range without much hassle.

.22 is fun but it gets boring, and my 30-30 is too expensive and a pita to shoot too much. am hype though.

also your wheels look killer on that car.

They are dick status: muh

Too bad it's like 70lb unsprung per corner lmao.

I'm looking at a .308 bolt for my next gun. I also want a .45 pistol or revolver and a 30-30 lever.

gone 2ish weeks ago. Good ridence, that thing was a disaster from the getgo.

Atleast I got it running with my own two hands though, so its not a complete failiure.

iktf. honestly, consider 80's honda motorcycles. much more rewarding to learn and work on. just my experience.

well I like my .30-30, it's fun as shit, but honestly I prefer the marlin action to the winchester. don't be a cuck and get a henry, you want something with a loading gate.

my next gun is going to be a ruger sp101 with a 4 inch barrel in .357

The 30-30 is for the wifey mostly. I'll shoot it too but I'd get a .45 lever if it was just for me.

>Ruger revolver
>Not a S&W
Come shoot mine and tell me you don't want one. Although that 7-shot 357 is neat

Oh believe me, I want to. I just can't afford a 686 like I want. My buddy has one and it is /comf/ to shoot, but it's an extra 300 bucks. That ruger felt great in my hands.

Ive considered bikes, but with the ammount of
shitty chinese drivers with bought drivers liscenses here, I'd rather have some metal between me and Lai-Pins BMW suv when she swerves into my lane without looking.

Gonna hit the hay, have a good night kitkat.

me too. I have a 4 hour drive ahead of me in 5 hours. catch you later

I think if I ever saw a Countach in real life, i'd have a little existential moment. They look unreal and fictional, like something from Akira.

They're gorgeous irl. But you get over it. Unfortunately they're not as beautiful as you think. Even though in print they're not as striking, the BMW m1 is much more impressionable in real life

I wish you luck

Im getting the itch for change again; missing the thrill of my camaro, but im in too deep into the impala...

On another note, hows everyone enjoying the weather? I was gonna do a belt change and a wheel cylinder job tonight while im on watch, but 30 degrees is just too damn cold for me to want to do anything. Luckily i live in a place where itll be in the 60s in a few days.

Cant go wrong with a full-size 1911.45. I fucking love mine. Just wish it was easier to CC.

It's not exactly making me jump with mechanical Joy

thanks man

>an OD trans
700R4: Worst possible transmission choice.
Very wide first to second gear spread. First gear is a 3.06 ratio Second is a 1.62 ratio. This nearly equates to skipping from first to third gear with a manual trans. This kills acceleration when these trans go into second gear. Compare this to a TH350. First gear at 2.52 ratio and second gear is 1.52. Do the math, faggot. The 3.06 first gear is so low that any final gear of above 3.55 or numerically higher will have you right at the max rpm at around 35 mph, only to then have your car fall on its face when it hits second gear, feeling like it skipped a gear. Wheel spin is uncontrollable upon hard launches, unless you have a very tall final gear, and then you can for sure count on going nowhere quickly when second gear comes in. Overdrive would be totally useless at highway speed regardless of detuning with a tall final gear, unless you were cruising at around 100 mph. Huge cost to build up. Don't even consider a stock rebuild to handle 500 hp or more. Under hard use, the 700R4 will fail quickly. Limited as to what level these can be built up to. High performance transmission builders and parts suppliers don't even recognize this as a serious transmission. More complex to build than a TH350 and far more expensive, especially when built up to handle high hp numbers. Having to run a cumbersome throttle value cable to the carb linkage. This feature actually serves a good purpose, but if not set properly, it can destroy your transmission quickly. Very critical adjustment, and often overlooked. The overdrive is actually useless with engines running decent size cams. Stall converters are double the cost of the one run in a TH350. You must detune an engine considerably to operate the overdrive and be able to tolerate the first to second gear drop. Could be classified as the worst mismatch of parts known on a true street car.

4L60E Electronically controlled trans.
No TV cable to deal with or shifting linkage. It has pump pressure control and shifting via electronics. Not much good to say about this expensive trans. It is virtually a 700R4 with a modern twist. Most of the same issues as the 700R4. Terrible choice. Very expensive to build up to a high power handling level. Can cost up to $4,000 to build this trans up to a decent level. Computer controlled engines may require this unless you bypass the car’s computer system. Complex. Very complex! Pointless to run such a terrible transmission. If you insist on such a trans, the 4L80E is a better choice, as it has a normal gear spread, and is a much stronger trans. Still pointless.

There are other OD trans out there. Calm yourself.

GM200
Has a better gear spread than the 700R4 but not as optimal as the TH350. Not much good to say about this trans. It certainly has a place in some special late model applications, but old school Chevy engines is not one of them. This transmission can cost up to three times more to build up to a decent power handling level compared to a built up TH350. Cannot hold up to high torque engine builds unless an enormous amount of money is spent on this trans. Most all the cons you see for the 700R4 exist within this trans. This trans is not a reliable trans. compared to any of the early GM trans.

Why is this a big deal.

Like what?

I've just never ever seen a torx bolt before, so I don't have any torx sockets/keys

Is my 84 skylark worth restoring?

First thing to go wrong on my car this year.
>let my brother drive my car because im nice like that.
>pumps petal, it goes to the floor
>Doesnt have time to fix it so he takes his shitbox instead
>The clip holding the throttle cable in place snapped
>put new one on
>its fixed yay

It may sound small and stupid but its exam week and this was the shining moment of my day.

All natural jackstands?

My Packard is actually a "Super Deluxe 8" and it's 100% going to become a rat rod. The floor pans are bad, the pillar between the driver's side doors needs to be reconnected to SOMETHING, and the interior is completely shot.

Good things include that the brakes work and have been upgraded to a dual master cylinder and the gas tank is new.

>I've never seen a torx bolt before
Wait till you see a Robertson

4L60E is so bad even normies meme about it being trash

They used be the only bit I needed to take the dash off my old car. Damn self-tapering woodscrews.

Just doing my part for the planet

Is my truck classic enough?

Jealous as fuck user. Would take out for Sunday trips to the hardware store

its pretty. I would for sure treat that as a real truck and not some show piece. I wouldnt daily it though.

10/10

yeah, the old guys in town meet at the Dairy Queen every monday night, theres some good stuff

thats why its got a rattlecan paint job lol, but yeah dailying it wouldn't be super great, no turn signals, no heat, no wipers, and it tops out at around 45-50 mph

so I have this Monte Carlo, I got a 327 I'm putting together for it now that I'm hoping to put in next spring

is the 700r4 actually bad though or is just mad? cause that's what I have sitting around and was probably gonna use, but I guess I can find something else if it's actually that bad

classy

For daily driving with a bit of fun, its not bad. user is just pissy cause the idea of a camaro not being raced makes his boomer side triggered.

That's basically the idea. I'm not trying to win races, I'm just trying to comfortably scoot and sometimes rip wikid skidz

also that truck in the background is this 1960 ford f100

You know what? Fuck it, and fuck yall. I found what im gonna do to the impala!

Kidding.. but im digging the side pipes.

Is your car running yet?

Yes, but havent gotten a chance to finish the brakes and fix the alternatorr belt yet. And ill be on a trip for a week, so hopefully when i get back, itll get better

The side pipes are pure sex.
I can’t say it’s for every car.
But there are definitely a few that come to mind...

>18328984
>700r4
>gonna use
It's your wallet pal.

Well what was the problem with the ignition?

>ratrodding a forties Packard
What is "preservation"?

Some burnt wire in the dash, but it wasnt related to the ignition.

Think they work on the impala?

but the 700r4 is free though, I already have it

It's too far gone to preserve; in most cases, it'd wind up in the crushed.

Note the missing floor pans; this degree of rust is present throughout the car.

It was pulled from a Florida swamp and was going to be crushed, but an individual in Tennessee thought he could restore it. It was too much for him; he fried the electrical system, so I picked it up. It wouldn't make a good parts car; all the chrome is shot and everything is worn out.

It's hard to see, but the floor pans outwards of the frame are gone; the front door sill collapsed and the rocker panel fell off today.

It would be cool yard art, but that may be too gone for even a rat rod... shame you cant coat it in something that just stops it rusting

>shame you cant coat it in something that just stops it rusting
if he put POR15 on that there probably wouldn't be much left.

It's not too far gone for a rat rod; some square steel should fix the door sills, the floor will be patched with old license plates, and clear-coat should fix the body.

The hood will be held down by pins, after being thoroughly braced; that is, assuming that I can get it running again.

C-can we see the frame?

Sure; I'll take a few more pictures tomorrow. Anything else you guys would like to see? I'll be trying to get it running this weekend and, as long as the engine pulls strong, I'll build it into whatever I can. I'll also take a walkaround video.

Snow here in Bama

So, hypothetically, I would be interested in restoring an 80's shitbox. What are your general steps? Strip it, de-rust it, patch it (weld, maybe Bondo), paint it, clean parts or replace as necessary and re-assemble? I have no experience welding, painting or even really with the components of the car, so I'm not going to do anything. How do you get into this sort of thing? Are you all trained mechanics or someone that just dove headfirst, cash in hand, to a potential shit show.

A lot of it depends on what you choose; each car has its own quirks and problem areas.

I've never done any substantial welding on a car, but I'm going to learn how to now, and that's the best way to do it: buy a cheap shitbox that you like, ask questions, try what you feel comfortable with. Don't make it your primary means of transportation, take your time, ask questions, and don't be afraid to get your hands dirty.

step 1: 350 swap
step 2: drive

I know this is late, but I want to thank whatever user from a thread or two ago who linked me to that ebay page for firebird bumperettes set me onto a different tag for searching for them.

I cant find cars like this anywhere. They were either already restored and up for twenty times the average price or complete shit and undriveable and still overpriced. Are there websites where i can find stuff like this

I bought this packard, amazingly after 80 years, it still drives. They are pretty well built cars. The straight 8 in yours runs very nice, cant even tell it's running.

Top lad. Sometimes i use tree sap to seal valve covers and I feed my leftover antifreeze to the local wildlife bc they seem to like the taste

Anyone know a method of keeping rattlecan from burning off headers and pipes?