/sthg/ - Sonic the Hedgehog General

Welcome to the Sonic The Hedgehog General. Here we talk about Sonic's stuff! Share art and music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, and more.

/sthg/ #829 - I Won Edition

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsSonic News<
Archie Sonic Officially Cancelled. Good. More on this later.
twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/887809496898088960

Several Sonic Events Happening at San Diego Comic-Con 2017
sonicstadium.org/2017/07/sounds-of-sonic-music-event-set-for-san-diego-comic-con/
sonicstadium.org/2017/07/sonic-mania-behind-the-scenes-panel-at-comic-con/
sonicstadium.org/2017/07/sonic-augmented-reality-experience-coming-to-sdcc/

Tons of new info on Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric Development Found
tssznews.com/2017/07/11/tons-of-new-info-on-sonic-boom-rise-of-lyric-development-found/

Sonic Forces Main Theme Lyrics Revealed - "Fist Bump"
youtu.be/XI97jY3FZ9Q

Sonic Mania Vinyl Album Announced
twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/878297582383976449

>General Interest Links

Other urls found in this thread:

tailsbecomesaman.ytmnd.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=1_EiJnVCacM
youtube.com/watch?v=lVCAEzSQXgU
youtube.com/watch?v=t_c2RLiCHSk
youtube.com/watch?v=n5DAzW-udjQ
youtube.com/watch?v=KEGKcWHqhZQ
youtube.com/watch?v=PHFN7EnXpFo
youtube.com/watch?v=X_VVr5H4h6o
youtube.com/watch?v=hDvTQgr1o4c
youtube.com/watch?v=HnegqkIfXlw
media.tumblr.com/8802d4d187751bd91a4c2c23585d7e02/tumblr_otdbhwYKOP1ugzrvqo1_raw.png
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm screaming, guys.
Here, have this decade-old ytmnd
tailsbecomesaman.ytmnd.com/

you are spot on. with both statements.

Fuck off.

Is there a more hated figure in the Sonic community today than Ken Penders?

Thread theme, anyone?

youtube.com/watch?v=1_EiJnVCacM

Chris-Chan?

It does suck but everyone getting really physically upset for real and bombing Penders' twitter isn't going to help the situation, they'll just get more upset.

It looks OK but not great, that probably is disappointing but Mania does soften the blow a bit. If we were just getting Forces by itself I'd probably be miffed but we're getting two serviceable games in one year so that's good enough for me.

Sorry.

youtube.com/watch?v=lVCAEzSQXgU

the comics endend for me long ago so i know how you all must feel

i still miss him...

Hey. Just in case you missed it last thread, I've made one more big update to the Dev Kit, in honor of the comic that may, or may not be dying officially (still holding on) I've ported in Mighty the Armadillo to the kit. Now, while this may seem like a simple Model swap, he comes with all of the necessary Sonic Generations animations, meaning that porting in new characters is now easier than it was before, assuming you're familiar with how Generations modding and model ripping works. Is it the easiest thing to do in the Dev Kit? No. It's still a pretty involved process, but I hope that I've eliminated some of the steps with this update.

At least you'll get a playable Mighty out of it at the very least.

With this news, it feels like SatAM is finally, truly dead and gone. 10 year old me am cry.

It's harder to hate a dumb autist that does nothing but ruin his own life than a dumb autist that ruins everyone else's

Chris-Chan isn't really hated more mocked and laughed at. He's pretty much a bigger ass clown but by no means do we hate him.

One last morose statement before I turn in: a whole slew of famous people, some of whom you probably liked, died in 2016, but Ken Penders did not.

good fucking riddance, scourge and everything adjacent to him were nothing but bad ideas given life long past their expiration date

But people at least love to hate him.

A bad idea/character isn't a good idea/character just because it's done "ironically."

To be fair, when Penders' pettiness caused this whole nonsense & lead to people losing their jobs & he acts like a douche on twitter about the whole thing, I can't blame people for shitting on him. Although I do think he's not the only person to blame for this mess.

Sometimes, the best things are reheated leftovers.

Scouge wasn't an "ironic" evil Sonic, because he wasn't even an evil Sonic anymore. Ian developed him into a proper character in his own right.

>penders sues archie
>causes them to lose a ton of money, they get shitcanned
>penders hires archie's crew to draw and write for lara-su chronicles

Does there exist a smarter man on this earth?

>Although I do think he's not the only person to blame for this mess.
He's absolutely not. Archie themselves shoulder some blame here too. Dunno what they even have now that they've lost Sonic and Riverdale is flopping hard.

Really wanted to see Sonic kick his ass.

Incorrect, both of you.
youtube.com/watch?v=t_c2RLiCHSk

yeah he made him green

>Archie Sonic Officially Cancelled. Good. More on this later.

OP why must you incite my fury

you didn't even link the previous thread!

>they say no
Was getting denied part of his plan?

what is this "archie didn't want sonic anymore because sonic isn't archie" meme? what comics does archie even have other than sonic and megaman lmao. i wouldn't even know about them if it wasnt for this

I-It doesn't matter...
Now what... h-h-happens...
I will never...
G-give up
Th-th-the...

youtube.com/watch?v=n5DAzW-udjQ
It's better with rain. Now is the time for melencholy.

OP you forgot to link the old thread
OLD THREAD HERE:

Welp, the crying is over, negativity setting in. no reason to hang around here anymore. I'll be back when LHT drops... maybe never.

Yep. Some people are mad at SEGA but at the end of the day, it only made sense to get away from Archie after the bullshit their decisions put them in. I only hope they bring in Ian, ABT, Heese & the others to wherever they go next.

They have Riverdale. That's it, I think.

Thanks for telling us that you were never here for Sonic, but just the OCs and waifus.

>OP you forgot to link the old thread
op was too busy laughing at his peoples' sadness

"They never should've colored Tomatopotomus's legs." -The mere fact Sonic Boom has got milage out of him is great

dicks out for mighty

Thanks for confirming that you never read any of Pender's Evil Sonic.

Out and proud, son.

Dunno. Archie has almost nothing going for it now that all their vidya tie ins are over.
I expect them to die within the year if nobody buys them out first.

Post your Thread Theme right now
youtube.com/watch?v=KEGKcWHqhZQ

Touched this up to be more fitting

When are we going to go back to talking about Sonic?

We are talking about Sonic Just a branch of Sonic. And there's gonna be Forces news later this week.

he definitely made him a different character, but neither is a good character

;.;

You're right.

youtube.com/watch?v=PHFN7EnXpFo

It's reassuring knowing it's not the end for Sonic in comic form. Archie's past flubs and mishandles made this feel justified in SEGA leaving Archie. I just wonder where they're gonna go for publishing and if they might bring Flynn and ABT along. Sucks ass though.

define good character and provide a solid example from any sonic comic

Quit your crying. Sega can just get another publisher and release a new comic.

youtube.com/watch?v=X_VVr5H4h6o

That's what I was speculating about.

That post just said it's reassuring that this isn't the end of Sonic in comic form, but it still sucks.

>and provide a solid example from any sonic comic
you have given me an impossible task my friend

youtube.com/watch?v=hDvTQgr1o4c

But it won't be the same comic, with the same characters, and the same continuity. What is it about giving all that up being difficult for fans that you can't understand?

youtube.com/watch?v=HnegqkIfXlw

I'm betting that one of the forgotten "classic" characters will make a real appearance in a game soon. Even if it's not Mania or Forces (which both seem like decently likely candidates), it'll be something. Sonic Team knows that Mighty, Ray, Fang, etc. exist going off of the cameos in Generations, and I think there's enough fan demand to warrant something like a rival battle for one of them.

Please make this the next OP image.

I'll miss the Freedom Fighters.

The comic was just the games with extra characters after the reboot. Yeah, it sucks if you like those extra characters, but get real -- Is it really that much of a loss for a Sonic product overall?

The Freedom Fighters are SatAM, not Archie, SEGA can still use them if they want to.
You'll have to say goodbye to stuff like this though.

I'm not really saddened that we lost the FF, but seriously somebody's gotta use those old Classic characters

Hopes for proper Mania cameos. Especially the Sonic the Fighters cast

I have the lurking suspicion that any new comic that SEGA comes up with will just end up a five-page-long ad for the newest game. That or something comedic and irreverent like Sonic Boom that lacks the hardcore fan appeal that the comics under Ian had.

>Sonic Team knows that Mighty, Ray, Fang, etc. exist going off of the cameos in Generations
Those were actually put in by some guy who worked on the game. Sega had to be told that they were just cameos for the sake of cameos. Sega doesn't really care for them.

Yup, finally a reason to leave.

#fuck Sonic

I'm glad we at least got to see that Chaotix story through to the end. Fun stuff and nice art.

Welp. Big pat on the back to all the comicfags.

They have the Archie brand itself, which is doing pretty well at the moment. Josie and the Pussiecats, Riverdale, Sabrina... it's a whole line. The VG tieins were the odd ones out.

user, no one's acting like this is the death of Sonic. But some of the people who's upset over losing the comic is because they did like those characters. And for others, it's because the post-reboot had some of the better writing characters like Amy, Knuckles, Chaotix etc. have gotten in ages & they'll miss that too (if the writing team isn't brought back).

IIRC, it was said SEGA wanted the comics to be its own thing so probably not. Hopefully.

>I'm betting that one of the forgotten "classic" characters will make a real appearance in a game soon

SOON

>SEGA can still use them if they want to.
They're never going to. They didn't create the characters. With that knowledge, they are going to shelve them.

>it's because the post-reboot had some of the better writing characters like Amy, Knuckles, Chaotix etc. have gotten in ages & they'll miss that too (if the writing team isn't brought back).
Absolutely this.

Why not just write your own stories? Sonic fan fiction worth reading is kind of an untapped market.

And don't just do greentext idea posting for the rest of your life, either. Actually write scenes, even if it's just narration, stage direction, and dialogue.

#savethefreedomfighters

Fuck Might, honestly. I don't know why people give a shit about this character. He's just a red Sonic, I'm not meming here, that is what he is. Bring back Fang the fucking Sniper.

Why does Mighty have blue eyes? Every other member of the Chaotix has yellow eyes for some reason.

I'm sad about the comics ending, but I'm curious about the Forces news. It would be nice to see a cutscene or something after this whole ordeal.

>they'll miss that too (if the writing team isn't brought back).
You know these people aren't the only people on the planet that can write the characters, right?

>i only just found out it's over because i was in class all day
FUCK

Knuckles doesn't and Mighty isn't really a true member of Chaotix since he also hung out with Sonic in the trackball arcade game

I mean technically Vector was a part of Sonic's band, but that never really became a thing

God. How fucking incompetent can you be to have gold in your fucking hands and smear shit all over it and then bury it, and think you're helping.

Because I can't write for shit. Not to mention, I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to properly writing stories.

Of course, but they still did great work on them.

I think it's because a lot of the scrapped characters were designed by people who don't work for Sega anymore.

24 years worth of shit just got canned for the second time in past year or two. We lost a bunch of shit, scraped through to the other side with a reboot and then just as that was looking up we got broadsided and sank.

Nobody expected the comic to shut down after nearly 25 years, that's almost as long as the franchise has existed for. People are a bit shook up about it. Don't forget how long we got strung along for, there was a hiatus of a few months last time and the comic continued, so there was still some hope left.

Even now it's not crushed. Sega might carry over the creative team onto a new book and continue the numbering, to keep the legacy of longest running title etc.

They won't, they'll reboot and start over, likely with a game only comic that has zero to no development and is just to designed to push adverts.

That is, if they even bother doing a comic any time soon. Just because it's not "the end of sonic in comics" doesn't mean we'll see another sonic title this year, if next. But chances are when it does show up, it could be fucking terrible. We just lost the potential of something that was rebuilding and looked good, and if it ever does get replaced it could be with something terrible. First mega man and now this, I gotta stop being a fan of shit. What's next TMNT? Oh wait the new show just got cancelled.

I forgot about the trackball game and I guess Knuckles is part of Sonic's group more than the Chaotix, that makes sense.
I do wonder why they were all given the same colour of eyes though, it is a strange coincidence.

Some time ago, I got to work on one of the prompts in the /sthg/ pastebin, where the Freedom Fighters go on a camping trip.

I lost motivation to finish it but I think I should get around to it now.

Maybe yellow eyes to look like rings as a reference to knuckles chaotix?

I believe in you, user. Unless you like Scourge.

I'm serious, though, I'd love to see this thread produce some reading material, collaboratively or otherwise. Put that energy towards something creative, I'm sure some of you have done it before-- every you speculate about where the plot could, or in some cases should, go.

Man, not even Naoto Ohshima works for the series anymore. He's busy funding shitty Yoshi sequels

It doesn't matter, if Sega owns the characters they can use them

Probably just laziness. They were shoved in for a gameplay gimmick in Heroes and just kind of stuck around

Chaotix deserves better. They should go on more detective adventures with Fang as their enemy

>It doesn't matter, if Sega owns the characters they can use them
But they don't want to.

media.tumblr.com/8802d4d187751bd91a4c2c23585d7e02/tumblr_otdbhwYKOP1ugzrvqo1_raw.png

every time*

I mean yeah, that is a cool idea. And I would love to see this general do more projects, whether it'd be stages in the devkit or stories, or whatever. Eh, who knows?

Their fault

Honestly it's better that they actually try to get Sonic right first before doing spinoffs even if I'd kill for any of the games' tertiary characters to come back. Or have Tails, Knuckles and Amy stop being useless

It hurts

Classic Sonic gameplay could literally just be fucking Tails instead.