Whatever happened to Saab?

whatever happened to Saab?

Other urls found in this thread:

streamable.com/hd7n1
carsuk.net/saab-9-3-going-back-production-sweden/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They were bought by GM, who absorbed all their tech and sold them off.

They were in debt before that and they went even further into debt under GM ownership.

It's a shame but that's life.

I think the Chinese own them now but don't quote me on that.

They were too good for this world

What everyone else said, but the remainder is split between the original Saab (actual jets), NEVS an initiative between Sweden and China continual the 9-3 as an electric, and Saabs parts depot which still exists selling mostly 93 and 9-5 GM new old stock.

Why was saab so good? They look like nicely styled fwd cars. Am I wrong? Is that what you guys see too?

High tech even though they are older than most cars.
streamable.com/hd7n1
Mine is equipped with things you see in luxury cars and I bought it for $2500 and love it.

>who absorbed all their tech
Did anything ever come from that?

my brothers 2002 -95 has working rear parking sensors.

two thousand and fuucking two
its pretty goddamn fast and the seats are better than any car I have ever sat in, including modern mercs/audis/lincoln etc.

Perfected Turbo tech, ECU and other practical things.
While they didn't really make use of the practical things since they cheap out and that's also why they let go of SAAB since SAAB didn't sacrifice the practical stuff or safety.

I don't want keys to dangle from behind the steering wheel, having scratch marks all around the key socket, nor do I want those things hanging in the keychain to stab my knee if I'm in a crash.

no, GM bought that shit so they could sell rebadged j bodies. Saab told them to fuck off and didn't even use the navigation system OS that GM made for them.

Top gear has a great special on saab that is very accurate.

this is a great point, and it also lets the passenger kill the engine easier if the driver is ever incapacitated.
plus it feels cooler and is likey easier to repair

I need to swap one of my sensors because my sensors on my 2004 aren't working.
Not that I need them since I have the Aero Estate and where the rear window ends is where my car butt is, and I am confident in my Scandinavian driving license.

Same thing that happened to Lancia, they tried to make their vehicles better than the norm and went broke.

>kill the engine easier if the driver is ever incapacitated.
Well my, old 2003 Aero had a rod thrown and I had my hands on the gears already so I managed to shut off the engine at 100KM/h and coasted off the highway, off the road onto a parking spot at a factory and turned out I was fast enough to prevent a cracked block because not a single drop of oil under the car at the point or at the garage where it sleeps.
Protip: don't push 420HP/600Nm on stock pistons.

I think they might have used some of Saab's engines in other GM vehicles but I think that was about it.

It was probably more of a "we'll keep this so nobody else can have it" type situation desu.

GM pretty much did the same thing to Isuzu. They're like the EA of the automotive world.

TBF GM did try to keep them alive. SAAB would have been dead decades ago if not for GM and GM even kept them around after they dumped Oldsmobile which was a much higher selling brand.

>and that's also why they let go of SAAB
They let go of SAAB because they were in bankruptcy and had to get rid of non-profitable brands like SAAB, Saturn and Pontiac. I personally believe they would have kept SAAB around otherwise. See

>They're like the EA of the automotive world.
I wonder if Holden would've survived if they built their own cars instead of using GM shit.

they are the EA of the auto world.
and I fucking despise them for it. They're worse than ford, fiat/chrysler, VAG, and PSA combined.

carsuk.net/saab-9-3-going-back-production-sweden/

The Chinese are making a slow EV replica

>wants to make the best cars they could possibly make, damned be the costs
>gm wants them to just rebadge opels with a saab front
>saab doesnt want to do it and keeps making their cars as best as they can
>end up spending too much money on making good cars that they die out
Nothing I have driven beats a good condition Saab 900i

Holden should have exported. The fact alone that it was Aussie would be enough to move them

Imagine a LS swapped RWD 900

>muh ls swap rwd
go away

Imagine an AWD BEV SAAB 900.

We did export them but gm choked sales and didn't advertise for over 18 years

>gm tells them to build shit
>they refuse
>they die with gun in their hand
saab the absolute madman

Why didn't eggman buy them?

We only exported the Commodore, yeah.

I was thinking more along the lines of what if GM didn't push all their garbage-tier cars like the Astra and Cruze, and instead let Holden come up with indigenous designs that are actually suitable for the Australian market and climate.

Meanwhile in 2017 new Subarus don't come with parking sensors standard.

He tried, gm backed out because sketchy Russian financing.
GM was probably just being dicks, didn't want to have to compete with freevavle saabs, so made an excuse not to sell.