Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums
I want to buy a car for about 1200 euros (Eastern Europe btw). Mostly city driving, but I'd like to give the hills/mountain roads a try once in a while as well.

Since I'm on a tight budget at the moment, I need something with cheap parts and that has a smaller chance of needing major repairs in the near future.

I've been doing my research and I've narrowed it down to a few models, but my biggest dilemma is whether to get an econobox or something a bit more fun...

My current econobox choice would be a Seat Ibiza 6k2 1.4 MPI, but that makes 60-75HP depending on the model. I heard it's reliable because of the VW Polo engine, but it's also cheaper because of the Seat badge. I think I can get a decent mileage model as well at this price. But it doesn't strike me as something fun to drive.

My "fun" shitbox would be a BMW E36 316/318, but these are often abused and poorly maintained from what I've seen and heard. I don't want to get one and start pouring money into it just to keep it running each month.

What would you say?
Is the risk of the BMW worth the improvement over the Seat?
Or should I play it safe for now?

Play it safe.
The most expensive purchase you can make is a cheap BMW.

e36 even if its 4 cyl fuck it

That's what I've heard as well.

I know it's tempting to have that attitude, but I'm afraid it may come back to bite my ass when I have to slowly start replacing all the parts.

Basically, I'm debating a "rational but boring econobox for commuting" option vs a "BMW shitbox that may cost more to maintain but is more fun and looks nicer imo"

I'd like to be able to say fuck it, get a BMW and don't care, but I'm not sure I want to spend money on major repairs and with shitty mechanics here.

I'm willing to do most of the work myself, regardless of which one I buy, just feels like there's more that could go wrong/harder to fix on the BMW.

you may need to replace some bushings or cooling system bits on the e36 but the fact is parts are extremely cheap and can be found in every junkyard, that's one thing that makes e36's great platforms.
Finding parts on the Seat would be more difficult and you'd often be ordering brand new parts which would cost more than the e36 in the end.
Just look for the least rustiest e36 you can find and go for it

would you spend time/money on buying one from let's say Germany?
you know about the rust and lithus, it's hard to find a good car here.

Are the junkyard parts any good? I know they are cheaper, but what if they are just as bad as what I'm replacing? Also, I'd need to buy the plastic/electronic parts new because of the age (sensors, hoses, etc).
My biggest fear would be a timing chain change, because I heard those need to be replaced at 200000km, and I can't do that myself.

I would spend the time, but for the money I think the cost is too much for my first car. I wanted to get something cheap, importing will only raise the cost over my budget.
If I drive to Germany and get it myself, I'll have to pay the gas/ticket there, hotel, food, and then risk taking it back on a 1000km trip, anything can break down.
If I have an importer bring it, I'd have to pay transport and other stuff, plus the inspection here and registration. So I'd have to add around 400-500 euros to the base price of the car.

well you can always get a mondeo.
cheap, even cheaper to repair. Finding a not-very-rusty mk2 shouldn't be hard

the only e36 sensors are abs and outside temperature sensors lol.
I doubt you'll find an e36 with less than 200.000km at 1200 euros btw, so timing chains is not a problem. The biggest issue on E36s is rust.
are you located in estonia?

What are you talking about? VAG parts are just as easy to find as BMW ones, if not easier. This is not the US.
The Ibiza's 75hp 1.4 is a reliable, but sluggish engine. If you have the chance, look for a 1.6 SR instead. Seat used it to replace the cancer that was the 100hp 1.4, and is based on an older platform that is absolutely bombproof.
In any case, handling wise they're little more than "decent", so take that into account as well.

nigga just steal a semi new 5 series BMW from Germany like you always do

>eastern europe
>nigga
>steal from germany
maybe if you're lithuanian, but others don't do that.
americans are not welcome in this thread

Would that be any better than the Seat?
There's a lot more sensors, like crankshaft sensor, air flow, coolant temp, air temp, throttle, oxygen, knock.
I'm from Romania.
I found only one 1.6SR, it's 1000 euros, but across the country... I don't think I can find one near me, they seem to be rare.
Can the handling be improved by lowering the ride height or getting better tires? Or is that just wasted money for the 1.4?
Nice stereotype.
I bet people from here do that as well, but they are in the minority anyway.

in the end both cars will have similar upkeep costs and similar fuel economy.
just go for whatever you prefer.

>Nice stereotype.
thanks m8

a mondeo would be:
>comfier
>bigger
>faster
>cuter(personal preference)
>easier to repair
and since you're not from the salt countries, you should find one that doesn't rust

>Can the handling be improved by lowering the ride height or getting better tires?

It always can, but not by much in this case.
If you want good handling without breaking the bank, want a suggestion? Clio 2 1.6. Great handling, cheap parts, the engine - other than a tendency to eat coil packs every 150-200k or so - is very reliable, and surprisingly low fuel consumption. Not kidding, doing 6L/100Km on these is actually pretty easy.

is this twingo's son?

that's a Clio

Bigger brother.

>100hp 1.4

What's wrong with that engine?

It kinda looked like the only decent VW engine at least by the specs.

Really? Never heard of it? Engine literally drinks oil (can reach 1L+/100Km) due to piston rings too weak for the compression.

>1L+/100Km

Meant 1L+/1000Km, but the point still stands.

Or get both reliability and good looks on a is300

E36 has god tier price:fun ratio, go with the bmw user

Not always
>where is my obligatory Hoonigan Shitcar compilation

I've heard that the VW 1.4 petrol engine are rubish. If you can just go for the 1.6 or just go for the best 1.9TDI

The 75hp is the one where they fixed the oil issue. It's a slow engine regardless.

>IS300
>in eastern Europe
>for 1200 eurobucks
Don't be a fucking moron.

I think I'd prefer the BMW honestly.
OK, I'll see if I can find a nice Mondeo.
Sounds like something fun, there are a few of those around, thanks for the suggestion.
None of those here, and definitely not at this price.
Sedan or compact?
The Seat/Polo had that problem solved I heard, only the 1.4 16v Golfs should be avoided.

No others suggestions? Remarks? Advice?

I wouldn't go for the Clio, I recently drove one and the handling was the shittiest I have ever come across. No driving feel, no connection to the road. My mother's Fiesta mk5 felt like a sportscar compared to that French crap. But the Clio was the third gen, maybe the Clio 2 is better, idk

Can you find old Honda civics in your shithole? That'll give you the best of both worlds.

Buy a 316i/318i Compact from a little old lady. Go to Germany if you have to do it.

Eastern European imports are all mostly shitted out.

I've heard the only 3rd gen Clio that's good is the 172/182, and I don't have the money for those, plus they are rare and parts cost a lot.
Damn, I wish I could, but those are pretty rare too. That was the first car I looked for, an EK3 with the VTEC-E, but I only found a few Aerodecks with over 300000km a bit over this price.
Is it even possible to spend 1200-1300 euros total AND get a decent BMW from Germany? I feel that importing would only raise the price.
Or should I consider spending the money on importing instead of the parts I'll have to buy for the cheap shit ones here?

Audi A4 B5

Only thing I don't like is the FWD, but it looks like it's easier to find one with little rust for some reason.
How does it compare to the E36?

>Only thing I don't like is the FWD, but it looks like it's easier to find one with little rust for some reason.
They were available with proper mechanical AWD too, but they're pretty understeery cars either way because of their drivetrain layout. They're also very rust resistant because they're made from galvanized steel.

What about handling/fun factor? Do the smaller engines compare to the BMW smaller ones (1.6/1.8)?

E36 is much more fun, it is built for driving fun, a4 is more comfort oriented

wouldnt an e36 for 1200 euro be acutually in good shape ? Here in poland you can get decent one for half of that, hell you could even get a 5 series for 1200

also maybe take a look at the compact version, they tend to be cheaper than sedans and coupes because noone wants them for some reason

>noone wants them for some reason
People don't like how they look, and their rear suspension is from the E30 which makes it more tailhappy.

>rear suspension is from the E30 which makes it more tailhappy
cant see a problem here

Ah, alright. Makes sense, but I feel the BMWs are also slightly more expensive for no reason other than the badge sometimes.
I've been looking at the compacts (rarer than sedans tho), but I don't understand why they are almost the same weight as the sedans...
All the cars at this price are very high mileage, but I've seen a few with little rust and they look maintained to a certain degree.
The shape is alright to me, and I'd say that even the E46 looks good, although a bit unusual.

I kinda prefer the E46 compact over the E36 compact, even think the bugeyes are cute.

B5 1.8 is faster and lighter than both 316i and 318i

B5 1.8i weighs 15kg more than 318i sedan

Not OP, in a kind of same situation. Audi A4 1.9tdi a good pick?

Yeah, if I can, I'll get an E46 Compact, otherwise I'll see what other choices I have available to buy.
Personally, don't know about that, but I'd like to know. I've only been looking at gasoline engines so far.