2000-2005 ss commdoroes

is there any reason not to buy an early 2000's ss commodore sedan?
can get them for 5-10k depending on the model and kilometers.
any known problems with them that are a bit of a deal breaker?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/wffK65k
youtu.be/WwmonbWy3KI
gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cairnlea/cars-vans-utes/2004-holden-commodore-vy-ii-ss-6-speed-manual-sedan/1168281313
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's not a Falcon

They're bought and owned by people exactly like you; people looking for cheap, low maintenance thrills. Most of them are fucked one way or another, and any in good shape cost way more than typical market prices.

Long story short: enjoy your top end rebuilds.

wouldn't it be cheaper to buy another engine for one of those cars than do a top end rebuild on one?

Fuck this uppity cunt
Falcon and Commodore discord here

discord.gg/wffK65k

the 00's SS are all fucked

Just get a 5.7 calais/berlina/exec and put a shift kit through it then when it blows put a t56 in it.

If you get lucky you'll get one thats bone stock that sat in a garage for a bit and costs $2500-5000 and has less than 200k

Be aware of the following issues with high milage LS1 engines

(very common above 200k+)
>Lifter tick
>piston slap
>cam lobes warn (due to lifter stuck)
A easy way to tell when your tyre kicking is to rev the piss out of the engine and if it struggles to get above 3000-5000 without horrible ticking/tocking sounds from the heads walk the fuck away.

The rest of the cars themselves are very reliable v body Commodore 1997-2005 are pretty much unkillable unless your me

Hes only half right

Top end rebuilds are common for any older v8 especially if its had a hard life and you like running it on the limiter

LS's love sitting at 6k+ all day long but sadly once the engines reach that magical 250k mark they start to shit themselves

a basic top end rebuild is around 3k and a motor swap to a ls2/ls3 is 4k+ plus so if your like me and look at getting a 2001 5.7l they are only worth 6k or less

ON the upside the aftermarket and parts availability is insane because the V body was available in EU and US so alot of the parts are still there even the original Omega B2 stuff from germany

Don't take any advice from this retard (). He bought a dirt cheap Commodore just like you're thinking of doing now and spent thousands in Cennylink neetbux trying to keep it running. Now the engine's blown and it doesn't run.

is 10k for a 15 year old car really dirt cheap though?

fpbp
because it doesnt have pic related in it

I bought it for 4k and never had any issues with it until i got a mafless tune and almost doubled the power and torque since the stock calais/berlina/exec tune is shit the auto ss isnt much better from factory

This guy isnt even a commodore fag so he DOES NOT know anything about the 1997-2005 commodore nor the LS1-LS2 or the 4l60e t56 trans

Ignore this fuckwad he follows me around Veeky Forums since his job and life suck even more than mine does
>>explodes bottom end
>explodes top end
>*knocking sound intensifies*
yeah nah u gotta dump about 4k to get anything out of them besides piddly 300rwkw+ on a safe baby tune

What exactly is the difference between the Calais/Berlina and the Commodore?

you clearly have no idea what the fuck youre talking about

Reminder that the only good commodore is a barra swapped commodore
youtu.be/WwmonbWy3KI

the "high series" commodores have better interiors (insulation, sound deadening, materials, gauges, cluster, hvac, seats, sound and leather/cloth options) and all round better quality control and built better

Sadly only the HSV came with a manual option for the v6sc and v8 from the factory but swaps are very common and fairly easy not to meantion cheap

JUST dont get a stock ls1 or t56 they have too many issues without rebuilding them or getting one with work already done
>70-80's gen commodore
>good
wet noodle chassis

>disgusting interior
>been flogged to fuck by some bogan cunts for ten years straight

>disgusting interior
fucken this, I was considering getting a commie but when I saw their interiors I figured no fucken way, they're depressingly ugly

Falcons interior aren't any good either

the fit isn't even good either, lots of plastic rubbing on plastic noises.

what is so wrong with the interiors?
at least the seats are comfy

in comparison I quite like the VF Commodores interior (and exterior), looks squite fucken nice but they're gonna cost gorrilions
looks (and is) dogshit ugly cheap, even in pics with specially set up lighting. Look at one in person and you want to kys from how bland it is

Compared to what exactly?
most cars from the early 2000's have that cheap plastic look inside them.

the pic you posted looks way fucken better than the commodore.

Commodore you posted only looks bearable because of the extra colouring that you'll only get in the higher higher trims, base models look abysmal

Older commodores are even worse, completely god awful

weren't we talking about ss commodores and the likes not something like a vx berlina?

falcon interiors are shit

>silver plastic everywhere

Why is everyone shitting on a interior that is 20 years old.

Gm has never been known for good interiors even in the old days

Good question to be honest, i am more concerned about how they drive and the mechanical reliability.

early versions of the LS were shitboxes.

poster wasnt wrong on that. but becase its a LS expect it to be hammered by previous owner(s) little old lady/man/deceased estate sales cars are too far between and most people jump on them if and when they do come up.
expect to spend at least 10k just on a rebuild will be slightly cheaper to get the parts straight from the usa than go through local suppliers otherwise rebuild more like about 20k.

if you want a burnout skidder just buy a AU falcon they are cheap as shit for a reason:
>yes they are that good.

the car in OP has stiff as fuck suspension so the ride is fairly harsh but that also means they handle pretty well, they are also very predictable cars in the corners and easy to save if you do make a mistake in them.
the utes not so much though, they are more rolling death machines than sports cars.

as far as reliability is concerned commodores like that are a dime a dozen so spare parts are plentiful if something does go wrong with it.
the 5.7 is known to have radiator problems, water pump problems and lifter problems at around 200,000km but other than that they are pretty solid engines.

>just buy an AU falcon instead of a VY SS for the same price
>20k to rebuild an ls1
this nigga serious?

who told you i said buy a XR8? you can find the poverty spec fortes for cheaper than that.

and the AU has the windsor and everything availible for that like the LS.

yes im serious a lot of people think a LS is cheap shit. only if you live in the USA: if you dont you have to import the parts. just a budget rebuild in the usa is 10k USD.

if you want a cheap to rebuild chevy buy a 2/4bolt gen 1/2 350. those ytou can rebuild for less than 3k. just parts, no machining time thats where the bulk of your money goes.

you can pick up an ls1 with a gearbox for 1k in aust.
shit you can pick up an entire car worth of spare parts for that.

>taking advice from the guy who put diesel oil in his piston slapping LS1 which he then blew up
>taking advice from the guy that has blown up the gearbox in every single car he's owned
>taking advice from the guy who spend 20k of the government's benefits on an automagic AU falcon and ended up with a set of ugly mags

here's your (You)

>if you want a burnout skidder just buy a AU falcon they are cheap as shit for a reason:
>yes they are that good.

B A S E D

Falcons handle like shit.

>ask about ss commodores
>get told to buy shitbox falcons instead
I wonder who it could be

you handle like shit
>ask about shit cars
>get told to buy better cars

>falcon
>better
Pick one.

>AU
>not the greatest car on earth

No other car on earth can fit a Holden in its boot

get a room

Oh it's a good car but if it has over 100-150k mileage on it walk away op
Fe2 is stiff yes but coilovers are cheap and give u good body control and ride quality only cost around 1600
He's a well know dat shitposter
Thrashes
Xr8 aftermarket is shithouse expensive

As for ls being expensive you are a moron
Hi shitcord why don't u fuck off back to your hugbox before I dox the rest of u
Wow 90rwkw from the factory only thing it's good at skidding is your boyfriend's anal passage
Discord faggots
Ironically plenty of skid cars and home brew racers do it especially common with older high milage v8

most are already running on pedders suspension anyway

Pedders is the shithole BCR/Justjap offshoot

Better to get MCA coilovers

whats wrong with them exactly?

This, just get an XR6 turbo.

Valving in the fronts is shit

Rears are fine
Ah bloo blooo poor babby

They're great desu
>reasonably reliable
>heaps of parts available
>good speed for cost ratio

Any xr6 turbo you buy second hand is going to be completely fucked. Ford 4.0 straight 6s have been unreliable enough without turbos hanging off them.

>ford i6
>unreliable
The fuck are you doing to blow them up?

only way to kill them is under oil them

Literally no reason mate, just find a decent one and you'll be sweet as. unless you want to look like your local crackhead, then buy a shitty falcon.

saying that, decent falcons are decent, shit commys are shit

Blown heads and fucked out botten ends. I'd take the slower xr8 over the turbo 6 any day.

Aye, seats are shocker in the VT/VX too, the back curves into my upper back/shoulders and makes me hunch forward like fuck, only way to fix it is to drop the seat back and slouch like a homosexual.

maybe dont run 40psi and 500rwkw through a unbuilt engine?
keke this

They do it stock, especially the heads

i thought that was more of a thing on a BA-BF

Didnt FG and FGX fix that from the factory?

So the general consensus is get one then?
Only argument against them seems to be a meme shill argument.

That's exactly right mate don't let these benchracers chase you off your slushbox bogan dream

Pretty much, never come across someone actually complaining about those cars.
only ever hear good things.

It's literally one asshole troll man

Take it from someone who has owned and extensively modified one for 3 years they are a solid platform.
The manual t56 is good if u rebuild it as well as the top end + cam on the ls
They only break if you wot and skid them every single day.

The average statesman that's stock sitting in a garage won't have this problem.

>They only break if you wot and skid them every single day.
Yeah but that's exactly why I want one to race the p platers up and down the strip in Forrest Lake

>this is the best reason for owning an SS
you have to put S pack badges on it too.

do it cunt

just be mindful the weak point in these is the lifters

Thoughts on pic?
gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cairnlea/cars-vans-utes/2004-holden-commodore-vy-ii-ss-6-speed-manual-sedan/1168281313
Seems a bit dodgey.

>290000km
nope

my lifters shat at 220k cost 3k+ to fix

?

after 220-250k+ engine km (290000) you have to do lifters and oil pump minimum

look up LS1 Lifter tick

mine cost me thousands to fix

Only because you paid someone else $150/h to do it

nah it was actually the parts that where more expensive once i did bottom end and also intake which was fucked it wasnt just heads and cam had piston slap and a cracked intake and fucked throttle body

Ouch

yep that shit adds up

i could have left the bottom end but it was pretty tired