Why do tariffs still exist in 2017?

I want Corvette Stingray but it's expensive for me. It costs almost $87k in Japan. It's about $85k in UK. And it costs only $60k in USA. With another $25k, we can buy a brand new mini cooper.

>I want a corvette

sorry

What car is that shit?

govs want to make money
companies want to make money.

It encourages other countries to attempt making decent vehicles of their own.

Lobbying. Literally anyone with any amount of eduction knows that tariffs are bad for the economy and general purchasing power of the population.

Because if the UK and Japan or Europe in general did not put tariffs on USA made cars, the auto industry of all those countries would collapse.

USA builds better and more efficient superior cars.

Example, Porsche cant build a better car than ford or chevrolet, so they just increase the price of those until the Euro is the better bang for buck.

Take it up with your govenrment.
They want you to buy domestic. Part of it is protecting domestic markets from countries who are notorious about subsidizing their own product which allows them to sell cheaper abroad, unless tariffed. Of course...any investors with some sense wouldn't shy away from their domestic companies if they knew their competition had to heavily subsidize and dump money just to compete, tariffs or no, and would stay the course. Just a matter of time before a foreign govenrment can't keep propping that shit up. Tesla's own story parallels this with subsidies and how different it's EV's are with ICE markets.
Tariffs are bad in the end since the originating country will also have tariffs thrown back at it.

Because america knows it cars were shit in the 70s and they protected their cars with tarrifs so everyone responded with tarrifs of their own. The tarrifs are still around because it takes so much fucking effort to get rid of rules in the US

low effort bait

Is there an actual market for American cars in Japan similar to JDM cars in America?

>more efficient superior cars
just die

Old American muscles are still popular among few people. But most people still think it's garbage. I personally think corvette is best car if it's same price as USA, though.

There are kind of people who like big American SUVs but the number of them is few.
Among that it seem Jeep brand is the most popular.
And as for muscle cars, I see more modern sports cars like C7 Corvette than them, either way they are rare as fuck

Only premium cars like semi-luxurious SUVs and higher end sports cars are worth paying the tariffs on. If you guys could get Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers as cheap as we do I'm sure they'd be everywhere. Pickups too.

>what is chicken tax
>what is the federal motor vehicle safety standards
>what is USA safety regulations
>what is DOT
>what is federal vehicle standards
etc... USA are doing it for the sake of domestic car makers. These stupid laws piss Euro and Asian car makers off, so Yuropoors and Nips put more tariffs on American goods.
Look at Mexico, they have Seat, Peugeot, Renault, Skoda, Geely, etc.. due to no preferential treatments.

Is this comedy or still bait?

>pickups too
>literally a van but less useful for everything but hauling manure and corpses

Your cars are huge enough to not fit the road properly here, plus engine displacement is ridiculously big.
Even if they are cheap to buy, normally they are not the ones people want.

American prices don't include sales tax, also you obviously don't have to ship it across the US if it's sold in the same place where it's assembled.

In case of Germany you can subtract the value added tax and some amount of money for shipping from our price, and you'll arrive in the general vincinity of the American price.

People wouldn't drive Camaros and hicktrucks for free because fuel is still six or seven bucks a gallon.

Sales tax differs from state to state and is small. 6.25% in Texas.

You'd say this is average for a new V8 in Germany ? That's $51,000 usdollarydoos. And that's before whatever outrageous price you krauts have to pay for titling / registering it.

€43000 / 1.19 (vat) * 1.19 (usd/eur) ~ $43000 times whatever local sales tax.
A decent amount more for you guys

>And that's before whatever outrageous price you krauts have to pay for titling / registering it.
Are you talking about the annual tax, or about a one time registration fee? Because the registration itself is for free (plus ten bucks or so for getting the plates made), and the annual tax depends on displacement and emissions and is in the realm of 500 bucks for a new Mustang GT with its pigfat engine.

>>what is the federal motor vehicle safety standards
>>what is USA safety regulations
>>what is DOT
>>what is federal vehicle standard
These aren't protectionist laws and American auto makers must follow them too its why the Viper can't be made. in Canada cars cannot be sold new without backup Cameras.

Nash Healey

Absolutely wrong, it's actually an AC Cobra, before Shelby started putting wide fenders on it.

>want to import vette
base price
+sales tax 10%
+tarrif 10%
+displacement tax 19%
+vat >20%
+importer markup

Euros laughing but I have yet to see any of them explain the tax on American cars. if they are so shit why not let them compete fags?

How will Mohammed get his tv and rent paid for it you don't pay a little extra to register your car Hans?