So I've had a slow coolant leak in my 01 Tahoe I haven't been able to chase down...

So I've had a slow coolant leak in my 01 Tahoe I haven't been able to chase down, so I ran some uv dye through and found it running down the bell housing. My first guess was the freeze plugs, but they were all dry. I'm figuring either head gasket or cracked head.

My question is, what should my next move be? It's slow enough that I'm not super worried about it, maybe loses a quart a month. But I'd like to get it fixed without tearing everything down and realizing something else is the issue, as this is my only means of transportation.

Thanks for any input.

Sell it on Craigslist

Have you chased all the lines? Check every connection to the block and water heater plus the pump. Doubt your heads are cracked.

It's coming from the back of the block. There aren't any water lines back there. That was why I ran the UV dye through it, because there was nothing on the front of the engine indicating a leak.

weld it shut

I had a pinhole leak in a radiator hose. It only sprayed coolant when the engine got really hot. (idleing) When it was cool you couldn't even see anything wrong with the hose. Could be whats happening with your Tahoe.

Ill also add the amount of coolant that came out was very small. It would evaporate very quickly. I only found the leak because I left the engine running as I was looking for where the coolant was coming from and it start squirting a little bit onto my arm.

You have two lines to the firewall for the heater core. Check them very carefully.

>60e
You poor bastard

There is a freeze plug on the back of the engine.

Nope. That's why I ran the uv dye. Literally the only place it's leaking is where you see it in the picture. I replaced all the hoses when I replaced the radiator last year.

I've beat the piss out of it for 4 years/50k miles and never had a single problem with it. Hasn't slipped once and shifts firm. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There are several freeze plugs on the back of this engine and I checked them all with a dry rag, and they all came back out dry.

I second checking the heater core. That was a common failure on my 04 silverado.

This isn't really a question of where it's leaking from. I found the leak. Just wondering if someone had an idea of finding out if it's the head or just the gasket.

Ffs I forgot how useless Veeky Forums is. I'm just gonna do a compression test. That'll tell me if it's the gasket.

you said in the OP that you havent been able to track it down jackass.

You mean the first in its? Did you read the second sentence where I said I found it?

So you wanted someone to tell you to do what you already knew
calls O usless

if your leak is that tiny and its otherwise solid, you can try a little stopleak. just dont go overboard.

if its the head, check the oil. if the oil looks milky then its the head.

have you tried turning it off and back on again

Keep us posted see if you figure anything. I would also go to ls1tech forums and ask there. They seem to know their shit and common problems with ls based engines.

>checked them all
BS unless you pulled the trans

Steam tube at the back of block between both heads have to pull intake to inspect

Seee