Paying a mechanic to work on your car

>paying a mechanic to work on your car

any tips for someone that didnt learn how to fix your own car? any books or such?

forums, haynes manuals, youtube.

>paying a doctor to operate on your body

>do all own work on car
>have to take it to a garage to get inspected

suspension work is the only shit i don't touch, fuck that noise.

Really? I'd rather do suspension stuff than electrical/engine work.

>unbolting and bolting on a new part
>cutting open your body
...one of these is not like the other

I wont touch a diff or electrical. Fuck that shit im getting a new axle

Haynes manuals are amazing especially for old Motocycles

Thinking about getting a whole new axle instead of replacing my differential on my truck it's only a couple hundred more, should I do it?

>do all work myself, even the cancer stuff that requires ten special tools
>spend the thousands I save on premium prostitutes instead
imagine being a nu-male

Diff are intimidating the first time. Once you understand backlash, pinion preload, carrier beating preload and learn to read the gear pattern mesh with gear compound you are set. The tools have an initial cost if you get good quality ones. But the main 3 are a good magnetic base dial indicator, calipers dial type prefered, and shim driver so you dont fuck your new shim pack for the carrier. Everything else is optional and you can get away without them. Bearing press is nice to have to remove and press them.

I once had a mechanic wanting to charge me $750 and he would keep my rear end to sell later on probably, oh and he was going to put a used junkyard rear end too. So i said fuck it and did it my self. Ended up costing around 800 total but i now have all the toolsand can do a full rebuild for the cos of a new ring gear and pinion and new bearings. Qwhich is around 280 for both and good quality set using koyo bearings.

suspension stuff is easy and eats up the most money over time if you let a shop do it. the only thing that you can't really do alone is alignment.

>car needs a new timing belt
>ready to change it myself
>father says fuck off and takes it to a sketchy mechanic
>complains that parts+labour was over 500€
>literally more than the engine is worth
>I'm not even sure the belt was changed

no you faggot, just google "how to do x on your car model" reading some faggot book wont teach you shit

>having the jack stands fail and car crushes you

>not doing the work yourselves
>not knowing for sure the work was done

>Youtube/Google
Try replacing your brakes, but only use information you got off Youtube/Google.

>actually working on your car

pleb af

>08 speed 3
>needs new vvt
Yeah I'm not touching that

I can't rebuild my own steering assembly you squint eyed nigger frog. I'd need a special press just to get the u-joints out.

is this tekashi

yes

Toe Alignment is easy to do yourself, a close enough one anyways. now pressing bearings you need a press for, and mounting and balancing tires, things that are very hard to do without the right tool.

>get only so much free time from work
I'd rather spend the extra cash and actuall enjoy my weekend.

This is my fear even though I put multiple Jack Stands under car.
> Here I lay, dying, crushed, because I wanted to save a few shekels on an oil change.

>cutting and welding new parts
>cutting and sewing your body
which one's more difficult? I'll wait.

That's why after lowering the car to the stands, I raise the jack back up to be touching the car. Just in case.

I had to google every 4th word in this post to decipher it

>he has to raise his vehicle to change his oil

>having your time be worth so little that you can't just shell out the cash so you can go enjoy your weekend instead

>implying a weekend spent workin on projects isnt enjoyable

you know at some point you loose more money by working on your car yourself if you don't consider it like a hobby

>implying i go to doctors or mechanics

a bike is cheating everything is so easy and accessible and when it's not you just fucking take it off no biggies
you just need the manual and a carjack for the engine to perform a complete disassembly and reassembly of your bike

>Try replacing your brakes, but only use information you got off Youtube/Google.

I've done it 4 times and have never read a book on cars in my life.

>his time is worth $60+ an hour after taxes

I'm just impressed at that point.

A jack isn't a support beam. Its a elevation tool, that needs to be replaced by proper support rams.
If you are going further inn than just replacing tires, use rams.
There is no if.

>500€
ayyy, what country?

Biltema - the golden standard of Scandinavia

he did say jack stands which is what we call "support rams" in burger land, it would take a real retard to make jack stands fail though

i pay mechanics to do oil changes, every time. they can get the car on a lift, check out everything else, tell me what needs to be replaced (and they WILL tell me, but i'll just fix it myself), and i don't have to worry about clean up, dumping oil, etc.

Chrisfix

>being so poor your time is worth less than shop time

>tfw couldn't figure out what the fuck was wrong with my car after trying tons of shit
>Shop I took it too thinks it's the ECM itself

I don't believe it.

Get an older car. Basically any car made after 2010 you will need a programmer and someone the gather all the rings of power to change your oil.

>allowing shopgroids to fuck up your car

Are you retarded? Brakes are easy

If you're careful you don't usually have to clean up much oil and luckily for me there is a river pretty close to my house so dumping oil isn't a problem

I take both my modern BMW's ('15 and '17) to the stealership and just let them work on it because warranty and I am not poor.

Work on my E30 project car because I actually enjoy it. Not for financial reasons, I just genuinely enjoy working on my own project. I have all the tools to do just about everything except a proper alignment.

I'm doing a Dana 35 rebuild soon, how good of a dial indicator would you recommend? Is chineseium ok or should I go for a mitutoyo?

Lots of stupid fucks who hate cars posting here. Not sure why you are in the auto section. I doubt any one of you could actually do an oil change yourself

$95 USD per hour for a mechanic is considered cheap in my country. You must live in america where you can pay a spic $20 per hour to fuck your cars shit up