How come a lot of the manufactures before 2000 had both V6 and straight 6 options at the same time?

How come a lot of the manufactures before 2000 had both V6 and straight 6 options at the same time?
Like Nissan having the RB engines besides the VG engines.

But at present time. There is almost only V6 options available across all the manufactures?

Other urls found in this thread:

jalopnik.com/did-you-know-bmw-builds-v6-engines-all-the-time-1633734035
youtu.be/D7lalfZ2OL8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren_MP4/4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

all of Nissan's line is fwd cuckmobiles now

RWD cars are non existent and V6s are easier to mount transverse for FWD CVT cuckmobiles

Probably packaging. More electronics to cram the engine bay, and safety standards also probably helped shrink the engine bay space.

Even Ford is abandoning the I6 in tandem with the Falcon

But they should've already seen the packaging benefits in the 80's.
But both options were still a thing in the early 2000's

Manufacturers have reduced or rationalised engines and platforms they use to save costs.

Why make two different types of engine that do the same thing?

I'm gonna say so they can fit more shit in the engine bay, with a bit of planned obsolescence so you have to buy a new car sooner than you used to.

Has there ever been a single car model where you could choose either an I6 or a V6 in the same generation?

Yes. Mercedes did have a couple of models.
In W211 one could choose I4, I5, I6, V6 and V8 engines.

>There is almost only V6 options available across all the manufactures?
Because manufacturers transitioned from the inferior I6 to the objectively superior V6. The I8 already went the way of the dodo in the 1950's thanks to the simple V8, but the V6 has some problems if you don't do it right. By now, only luxury brands like BMW, Mercedes and Jaguar are sticking to the I6 because it is a USP to them.

V6 packages better than I6 in RWD vehicles, too. Not just transverse FWD cuckboxes.

This. You can take a v6 and put it in almost any vehicle so it saves r&d costs. The v6 from the Genesis Coupe is also in the Santa Fe for instance, albeit transeversely mounted.

F30 Leopard
C32 Laurel
Y30 Gloria

z31 comes to mind

The Opel Omega B was available with a GM petrol V6 and a BMW Diesel inline 6.

And if you waved a ton of money at Irmscher you could also get the Opel inline 6 that was originally supposed be in that car.

mercedes is going back to straight 6

I've heard BMW has made V6s, is that true?

They do it all the time.
But they keep going back to the I6 because it is the most ballanced engine with more potential torque

In the 100 years that BMW has been making engines, they have never, ever, produced a V6.

>But they keep going back to the I6 because it is the most ballanced engine with more potential torque
Most balanced internally if you compare it to a shit-tier 90 degree V6. Externally, the I6 is longer than V6, which makes for worse handling. How in the hell is a longer, heavier crankshaft going to make more torque anyways?

jalopnik.com/did-you-know-bmw-builds-v6-engines-all-the-time-1633734035

Couldn't they repurpose their FWD drivetrains for MR/RR sports cars to get the best of both worlds?

Mercedes are going back to Straight 6s Jaguar too

Packaging

>Jaguar I6

I'm cum

packaging i guess

whats weird is that most platforms had a v6 and i6 option at the same time which got even weirder.

Ill miss the old bangers

Carmakers where more open to experimenting with weird engine configs as well like i6 and v8 transverse as well as VR5 VR6, i5's and other weird shit.

Modern engines are all turbo i4 and v6 shit they make good power but have no personality.

Here in aus we also got a V8 manual option from the factory 5.0l 5sp or 5.7-6.2 6speed t56

here is mine before it dropped a lifter and died

ITB V6
Thank me later

>v6
>n/a
meh
e
h
youtu.be/D7lalfZ2OL8

>whats weird is that most platforms had a v6 and i6 option at the same time
That was only during the transitional period when most went from the I6 to the V6.

>Modern engines are all turbo i4 and v6 shit they make good power but have no personality.
That's because those engines are objectively superior.

Aka boring

The V6 is the CUV of vehicles.

Tons of trade offs to make it the best "all rounder" so it actually turns out only to be OK at some things and excels at nothing.

Then explain why the V6 is the winningest engine configuration in F1.

>Implying a f1 car from 2004 wouldn't demolish any current car if they gave it the modern slicks

Not to mention they keep revising tracks to be straighter, smoother and more forgiving.

>F1 used to pave the way for new technologies
>Now F1 is just following automotive trends

>thinking this is actually the case
>thinking things like KERS and power recovery turbos won't be in every vehicle within 10 years.

Oh, and by winningest, I didn't mean modern F1. I meant F1 when it was actually good: the turbo era.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren_MP4/4
>Statistically the car holds the record as the most dominant single season car with a winning percentage of 93.8% with the closest any car has come was in 2016 when the Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid won 19 of 21 races (90.5%).

>Implying a current F1 car wouldn't demolish EVERYTHING if it wasn't held back by modern fuel and RPM limitations

Then set a laptime using the old cars then. Unlike the new hybrids, you can actually still use those.

F1 still pushes the limits of what's possible. Standardising the engine configuration does make it a bit more boring, sure, but it reduces costs where needed, and F1 continues to be innovating.

>F1 still pushes the limits of what's possible. Standardising the engine configuration does make it a bit more boring, sure, but it reduces costs where needed, and F1 continues to be innovating.
Then why does it seem like FIA nerd any kind of clever innovation any of the teams come up with?
I remember back when Redbull used to get a warning almost every week because they had some flexing bodywork that gave them an advantage. Or Merc burning oil getting nerfed

FIA killed the fancar