Why do people insist that older cars were the most comfortable?

Why do people insist that older cars were the most comfortable?

New vehicles have seats designed specifically to be ergonomic and comfy to sit in

Older cars seem more comfortable to me desu. I'm talking 70s tho, not 90s

Older cars are only comfortable in a straight line, you have to hold on when cornering because the seats are flat

Older cars just had sofaesque seats which are good for an initial sit down but not for long term and yeah they are flat and just overall lame plus old cars had awful fucking suspension

New head rests lean forwards way too much.

They are either designed for people who sit with a gangsta lean and have to tilt their head forward 45° to see out or as a cap for manlets. They always poke me square in the back of my head pushing it uncomfortably forward. If I were to put my back into the seat the head rest would push my head to point it down. It's fucking ridiculous.

Also even the new comfort™ seats are just way too tough.

The most comfortable seats I have sat in were from a 96' Renault Clio RT that had cloth seats.

go sit in a 1992 crown victoria. its like a couch with a steering wheel

because they've never driven one
that aside the ride on some modern cars is atrocious

92 is considered old...

Kill me

You wouldn't think much to look at a Barcelona Chair but its literally the most comfortable chair I've sat in in my life. Bolsters and lumbar supports and all that other shit doesn't necessarily translate to comfort.

thats 25 years ago senpai

stop just

stop pls

Because they're built wide, and people are getting fatter and fatter.

its ok user, we all know that feel

It's just baby boomers who can't let go of the past and say their old hunks o' junk are much more reliable than modern vehicles. (they're not)

One thing I can agree with is that I don't have to worry about a fuckton of electronic nooks and crannies fizzing out.

>New cars
>ergonomic

Maybe if your talking about s-class mercedes and their ilk, because most modern cars put a thin piece of hard foam and call it a seat, which is not ergonomic. They even managed to convince idiots that hard seats mean that you'll feel more rested after a long journey, but that is wrong unless the soft seats have equally flat padding, like most old american cars).

One of the most comfortable car seats I have been in was a pre ww2 citroen traction avant, you could drive for 5 hours and come out rested. Modern car suspensions are also far stiffer than they should be, except people now complain that roads are too bad rather than their cars having shitty suspension.

If there is ONE thing modern cars do better than old cars in terms of confort is reducing noise, especially at highway speeds.

I learned to drive in a 1978 Lincoln town car. Soft suspension, pillowy seats, and 5000 pounds of mass to soak up the bumps. The other car I learned in was a 1984 Chevy high-top conversion van. Those seats were comfy as hell and was similar to the Lincoln in other matters. Neither was meant to go around a corner though.

Because older cars actually had room inside. Do they even make six seaters anymore? Modern design is like a competition on how tiny cars can be made and still fit at least two soyboys.

THIIIIS

God this drives me insane. I can't even sit in a Ford anymore because they have gotten so bad about this. Fuck new car seat designs.

My apartment complex has some shit speed bumps. My taco has to crawl over them if i dont to get bounced out of my seat. My classics just glide over them and i hardly notice it.

>the virgin headrest

Might have to do with the leaf springs moreso than the seats, dear.

>dear
Kill yourself sweetie

Maybe I've never been in an older car for an extended period of time, but older cars do seem to handle bumps better.

My brother has a 2016 Chevy Silverado High Country. The seats themselves leave a little to be desired, but they're air conditioned seats and heated. Felt incredible.

I just bought my first car with heated seats and it's pretty awesome.

Suspensions and seats combined make it wonderful.

Newer cars have seats that have about the same hardness as obsidian. The newer seats aren't designed to be comfortable, they're designed to pass the increasingly-stringent safety standards.

Old cars, by contrast, have seats that are like living room chairs. They're actually a place where you'd want to spend your days. See Doug DeMeme raving about the seats in that '77 Eldorado.

Oh user that's 5 years before I was born

Because they had to give people some reason to buy malaise cars.

Back in the day car companies weren't cheap with materials and weren't as good at making plastic look like things. So you got real leather, real coil springs, real wood, real carpet, etc. They didn't (((cut corners))), it wasn't until iacocca introduced the k car that the trend started towards the really cheap plasticy rock hard seats that are marketed as "ergonomical", even though they're just harder and not as well padded.

>the chad whiplash

>96' Clio cloth seats
Absolutely comfy.

>having weak neck muscles

the CHAD lowback

>not taking the neck pill
lmao

Two female landwhales you mean. They're plenty spacious, they just have that obnoxious center console blocking off a ton of your movement. Cars of the past could be a lot smaller then the ones you can get today too.

On the bright side, even a 2011 Crown Vic can be considered old.

Tell me this doesn't look comfy as hell

every new vehicle I've sat in is designed to be hunched over in, or laid back all the way. If I sit straight I can't feel the seat at all (and I'm 5' 10" short).

ergonomic seats assume everyone is the same shape and size, hence people who are taller, broader, shorter, fatter, thinner etc. will have a different experience, some being uncomfortable, others not really noticing a difference between current & old seats.

Older cars are comfy, but Fiancee got this as a company car and it's just about the most comfortable thing i've ever been in

all hail the plaid ironing board of comfort

because they actually were....
go find a car called a caddilac tallisman if thats not one of the comfiest interiors you have sat in there is something medically wrong with you

all 70s land barges were couches on wheels.

not all old cars luxurious seating a old BMW & MB had seats that were hard as a rock. because german effciency not comfort.

there is a reason RR had a legendary following for well over 100 years not just the pricetag. it was because they had legendary ride, handling and comfort. because those cars you just arrived at your destination you really intrested in going 10 10ths around a race circut

Why do you drive a car with head rests?
One piece or bust.
I don't know if any coupe in the world comes with two piece seats.

Hail

Try sitting in a barcelona chair for 9 hours and see how it goes.

Looking comfy and actually being comfy over long periods of time are completely different things.

People always talk about how comfortable panther platforms and other land barges are and I just don't get it. My grandmother had a fully loaded 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis, and while it looked comfortable at first glance, it was one of the most uncomfortable cars I've ever been in. My back hurt after 30 minutes in that thing but I felt just fine after 10 hours in an early 90s NSX.

I've never been in an Asian car with comfortable seats, they don't exist. I've never been in an old American car without comfortable seats. Game over. Btw, the Germans have great seats now too. They have come a long way and all seats are no longer like a VW bug fron the 60s

>americans invested in worthless comfort options for their throwaway cars
>japanese invested in improving their engines for longevity

im sure a smart person knows which one was more important

Same reason the office chairs at my work are most comfy if they're pre-1990. They're like giant cushy couches with wheels. Same with the chairs in the waiting room at the neglected office down south. Just big, plush couches instead of this nu-faggot trendy shit with 1/8" thick padding and wire legs and an inverted backrest that dislodges your spine from your pelvis.

>tfw I am slowly amassing a collection of 1980's officeware in my cubicle
>stealing it piece by piece as people go on vacation or leave the company, before administrative services can reclaim it
>tfw comfy 80's footrest
>tfw comfy 80's chair with padded wooden armrests
>tfw aesthetic incandescent work light instead of putrid white LED nonsense
>tfw comfy Rolodex and notepad paper holder with pen quiver

Comfiest car seat I've ever sat in was the bench of my dad's 1996 F-150, it was like a gigantic couch.

American cars have seats designed for the American body, which is fat and useless. Asian cars have seats designed for asian bodies, which are light and small. There's definitely a gap between the two, but you should just lose some weight and broaden your automotive horizons, tubby.

Omfg that car just is just beautiful and like another user said they have no side side support in the seats and the suspension literally makes the car list in said turn. BUT strait line and around town low speed turns this fucker OWNS today's cars. Don't forget to add it these cars were built with the driver as the center piece. So you got radio and climate controls on YOUR side of the car and effortless power steering with that slick let go and it spins back to center. One day I'll get one of these yahts in a very version and be living the good live between destinations.

>Americans
>Fat and useless
Except American males 15-30 are the strongest fittest and most bad ass males on the planet.
Their women plump into pigs tho it's disgusting.
And any male that's been in the military will turn into a blob in old age.

>Except American males 15-30 are the strongest fittest and most bad ass males on the planet.
whew lad